Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

I'd love to lay you down.

Shima Honnou posted:

The Daily Transcription test video sure is something. I'm about halfway through it right now and man, it's like they recorded this whole video on a camera phone from the year 2002, while running a juicer just off screen.

I've got a few quick questions on formatting and I assume someone here will know. Should I denote when the interviewer speaks as INTERVIEWER or should I just use Q or what, exactly? My instincts tell me to use "interviewer" but the examples that DT has says "q". Also, at the top where it would usually be denoted "TRANSCRIBED BY DAILY TRANSCRIPTION", should I put my name where Daily Transcription is? The rest I'm more or less good on, but I want to make sure I got this right.

Use Q:

Keep TRANSCRIBED BY DAILY TRANSCRIPTION up there in the header.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Current formatting sits with default as

Q:

And you want

TRANSCRIBED BY DAILY TRANSCRIPTION_YOUR INITIALS unless the instructions are specifically saying something else. Also trust me that file is a cakewalk, they're going to replace it with a clip from a Morimoto Iron Chef Battle. I love Alton Brown, I really do, but my god that man stutters when he gets excited!

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Oh, God. I used to hate the Iron Chef tapes. They were one of the reasons I started getting really picky about the kind of work I accept. "So let's see, you want to give me a file with six people talking over each other and pay me the same rate you would a one-on-one interview? I have to wash my hair."

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I just got rated by Textbroker for my 5x articles. They gave me a 4 on everything with the only complaint being that I used filler on one article and did not pair a comma with the word "which" twice. Oh, and using the % sign is bad.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I'm interested in applying to Textbroker, but I've been holding off because I'm afraid of being rejected. I've spent the last few years in school and received endless praise about my work, but I went to a college, not a university, so I don't know if the praise really meant anything.

Would some of you talk about what you submitted with your applications? Would a couple of papers written for a 300-level course be acceptable, or should I write something new to submit? Is there a particular style I need to learn? I'd appreciate any advice / examples on how to approach this.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
AP style is what one of my reviewers told me.

Judging by the fact that you just made a coherent post, I'm pretty sure you'd be fine.

For my sample work, I submitted the 3 paragraphs in this blog article: http://www.wirebiters.com/giant-smokestacks-nuclear-plants/

They rated me as a 3 and I made about 30$ doing 1 cent per word until I got upgraded to a 4 just recently.

E: I guess it's worth pointing out that the above link is my personal blog and I wrote that article specifically as a "technical themed sample."

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Oh God Alton Brown. I remember a 45 minute file that seemed to drag on forever because of him. I like the guy on his own but surely they could have found a less stuttery host for Iron Chef.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

titties posted:

I'm interested in applying to Textbroker, but I've been holding off because I'm afraid of being rejected. I've spent the last few years in school and received endless praise about my work, but I went to a college, not a university, so I don't know if the praise really meant anything.

Would some of you talk about what you submitted with your applications? Would a couple of papers written for a 300-level course be acceptable, or should I write something new to submit? Is there a particular style I need to learn? I'd appreciate any advice / examples on how to approach this.

AP style. College papers might not go over well depending on how they were written. TB likes web-style writing with frequent subtitles, like a typical blog post. Watch your commas. Spell out numbers under ten and the word percent. Capitalize Internet (I've had them comment specifically about that a few times.)

Like the above poster, I consider your post coherent enough you won't risk rejection. You might end up at a 3 if they don't like your sample, but I doubt you'll be outright denied.

Honestly, you could pull up a recent blog post on a popular blog, as long as it has a general enough subject, and rewrite it in your own words / write a similar piece in your own style. It's a useful way to learn the blogging format, and article rewrites are a semi-common assignment on Textbroker.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

Spartan421 posted:

Oh God Alton Brown. I remember a 45 minute file that seemed to drag on forever because of him. I like the guy on his own but surely they could have found a less stuttery host for Iron Chef.

Indeed. And we're cracking onto the new shooting seasons for that soon... bleh.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

This is why when you can find a client that pays you by the hour or by the page, you hang on to them. :)

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

drat. Been almost a month now since I submitted my articles and Textbroker has yet to get back to me.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Personally I love how they rated thousands of unrated articles as N for neutral to clear out their backlog, so they could rate writers once per month instead of the previous "once every three months when we got to you in the list" they were doing.

They did that on new years, and they've rated me once since, in January.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wasn't there a site people mentioned where you can put up articles, and if someone wants it they buy it they can?

I have two rejected articles I can't get through Writers Domain, but they are still good enough where I'd take $10 for them for 400-600 word articles just to get something from them.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Astro7x posted:

Wasn't there a site people mentioned where you can put up articles, and if someone wants it they buy it they can?

Constant Content does that. I think there are others as well but CC is what comes to mind.

Rottenapple
Feb 27, 2006
in fiction

Pikestaff posted:

drat. Been almost a month now since I submitted my articles and Textbroker has yet to get back to me.

E-mail authors@textbroker.com. I just e-mailed them to get rated and they said they'd get to it this afternoon. They also said that unless an author e-mails them to get rated, they have no idea if they've written their first five articles or not so they can't rate them.

titties posted:

Don't worry about getting rejected. I wrote a 250 word description of sightseeing in my town that was basically a simple introductory paragraph, three short body paragraphs, and a simple conclusion and I got rated as a 4 within a few days. I think they just want to see if you have a basic understanding of structure and grammar.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Astro7x posted:

I have two rejected articles I can't get through Writers Domain, but they are still good enough where I'd take $10 for them for 400-600 word articles just to get something from them.

I second the Constant Content recommendation. They might not sell right away, depending on their topics, but that length could get you $40-$50 for full rights.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Nighthand posted:

I second the Constant Content recommendation. They might not sell right away, depending on their topics, but that length could get you $40-$50 for full rights.

Speaking of Constant Content... I was accepted a while back, and I started submitting articles three days ago. I have nine approved articles and five more that I submitted today in the review queue. The nine approved articles have a total of 57 views, mostly from one that shot up to almost 30 views in a couple of hours for some reason. I realize these are tiny numbers. How many articles do I submit, and how many views do I see without a sale before I just assume my writing is poo poo and no one is interested? I am sure it depends on a variety of variables, but it would be nice to get some numbers from people who have written for Constant Content.

Hip Hoptimus Prime
Jul 7, 2009

Ask me how I gained back all the weight I lost by eating your pets.
Hey y'all, just wanted to check in about Zirtual.com (where I am working as a virtual assistant).

I started there in January, and it's totally legit. I can't really say that much because of the NDA we signed, but I am loving the freedom of working from anywhere I want. I have to be "around" during Monday-Friday business hours, but I come and go as I please from my house as much as I want and I just reply to emails from my phone if I'm not by my computer. Starting next week I will have a full time role with them, so I'll be breaking even with my previous salary as a teacher. I actually will be making more money, when you consider that I don't have to commute and I don't have to buy wardrobe or school supplies or any of that. All our work meetings are done through Google hangouts.

The best part of all is that next month I'm going backpacking through Central America for three weeks with my friend and I don't have to take any time off. I can just work from a hammock at our hostels or whatever, since we're making sure to only stay where there is wifi. I can do longer excursions on weekends since I don't have to be "available" then. So, yeah. Definitely an excellent gig.

My friend who I'll be traveling with also has an online job--she works for a web site that buys up concert tickets and resells them (essentially online scalping but they don't do anything illegal). She'll be working on the road with me too.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Hey y'all, just wanted to check in about Zirtual.com (where I am working as a virtual assistant).

I started there in January, and it's totally legit. I can't really say that much because of the NDA we signed, but I am loving the freedom of working from anywhere I want. I have to be "around" during Monday-Friday business hours, but I come and go as I please from my house as much as I want and I just reply to emails from my phone if I'm not by my computer. Starting next week I will have a full time role with them, so I'll be breaking even with my previous salary as a teacher. I actually will be making more money, when you consider that I don't have to commute and I don't have to buy wardrobe or school supplies or any of that. All our work meetings are done through Google hangouts.

The best part of all is that next month I'm going backpacking through Central America for three weeks with my friend and I don't have to take any time off. I can just work from a hammock at our hostels or whatever, since we're making sure to only stay where there is wifi. I can do longer excursions on weekends since I don't have to be "available" then. So, yeah. Definitely an excellent gig.

My friend who I'll be traveling with also has an online job--she works for a web site that buys up concert tickets and resells them (essentially online scalping but they don't do anything illegal). She'll be working on the road with me too.

What if the wi-fi craps out or is too slow to support your video conferencing?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Centripetal Horse posted:

Speaking of Constant Content... I was accepted a while back, and I started submitting articles three days ago. I have nine approved articles and five more that I submitted today in the review queue. The nine approved articles have a total of 57 views, mostly from one that shot up to almost 30 views in a couple of hours for some reason. I realize these are tiny numbers. How many articles do I submit, and how many views do I see without a sale before I just assume my writing is poo poo and no one is interested? I am sure it depends on a variety of variables, but it would be nice to get some numbers from people who have written for Constant Content.

The most views I have on any one article is 54, and that's from 2011 and still unsold. View counts are generally pretty low.

The one with a sale that's still labeled "view" is one that I sold Use rights on, so it's still up for view/sale for more use rights. Which I doubt anyone will go for, because everyone wants unique content online, but who knows.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Rottenapple posted:

E-mail authors@textbroker.com. I just e-mailed them to get rated and they said they'd get to it this afternoon. They also said that unless an author e-mails them to get rated, they have no idea if they've written their first five articles or not so they can't rate them.

Wow, thanks a ton. I did this upon reading your post and they got back to me and rated me within a few hours. Thanks again!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Hip Hoptimus Prime posted:

Wow, is there anything more you can say? Can you share requirements for the job? I am on the verge of skipping out to Southeast Asia, and I would love to have something resembling steady work.

Nighthand posted:

The most views I have on any one article is 54, and that's from 2011 and still unsold. View counts are generally pretty low.

The one with a sale that's still labeled "view" is one that I sold Use rights on, so it's still up for view/sale for more use rights. Which I doubt anyone will go for, because everyone wants unique content online, but who knows.

Thanks for sharing. I am going to keep my nose to the grindstone a little longer, but I feel like I'm flying pretty blind with no idea whether I am on the right path. You seem to be around, what, 56% sold? Are most of those pretty old? Is the one from 2011 an aberration, or did they often take a long time to sell?

Edit: Minutes after I posted this, one of my Constant Content articles sold. The one that sold was a recycle that got rejected by a Blogmutt customer, so I had it priced lower than most of my other content. I guess I'll wait and see if the stuff I priced higher starts to sell.

Centripetal Horse fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 1, 2014

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Well, I was a cog in the call center wheel for years (from worker drone to supervisor) and just recently had to quit because of daycare issues, so I'm hoping to find something that's work from home. I have a profile on Textbroker that's several years old but still... well appears to be active, and I'm poking around the transcription suggestions now. Does anyone have a reputable company that does work from home for inbound call center type functions? I mean, I'm not in love with the work but it's what I'm the most comfortable with. I started a profile with Arise but stopped when they wanted me to pay for my background check. I assume it's probably pretty common, but I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with them or any other company first. Thanks!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Wow, is there anything more you can say? Can you share requirements for the job? I am on the verge of skipping out to Southeast Asia, and I would love to have something resembling steady work.

Thanks for sharing. I am going to keep my nose to the grindstone a little longer, but I feel like I'm flying pretty blind with no idea whether I am on the right path. You seem to be around, what, 56% sold? Are most of those pretty old? Is the one from 2011 an aberration, or did they often take a long time to sell?

Edit: Minutes after I posted this, one of my Constant Content articles sold. The one that sold was a recycle that got rejected by a Blogmutt customer, so I had it priced lower than most of my other content. I guess I'll wait and see if the stuff I priced higher starts to sell.

That's neither all of my available nor all of my sold articles, but doing a quick count a 50-60% sale rate looks fairly accurate, though it's lower because a handful of articles are new enough they don't have any views yet.

Generally, it seems like if I post an article for one of the standing request, it sells either fairly quickly or not at all. If I post one without an attached request, it takes a couple months to sell at best. My statistics are minor, though, I don't have a ton of stuff up on the site, nor have I dug deep into which categories are best, etc. I treat it as a place to throw rewrites when I've got nothing on the mills to write, and if they sell, it's a bonus.

Palisader posted:

Well, I was a cog in the call center wheel for years (from worker drone to supervisor) and just recently had to quit because of daycare issues, so I'm hoping to find something that's work from home. I have a profile on Textbroker that's several years old but still... well appears to be active, and I'm poking around the transcription suggestions now. Does anyone have a reputable company that does work from home for inbound call center type functions? I mean, I'm not in love with the work but it's what I'm the most comfortable with. I started a profile with Arise but stopped when they wanted me to pay for my background check. I assume it's probably pretty common, but I wanted to find out if anyone had any experience with them or any other company first. Thanks!

Check the bit about LiveOps in the OP if you want more call center stuff from home. It's the only thing I know about offhand for that, though.

titties
May 10, 2012

Thanks for all the replies regarding applying to Textbroker, you've helped put me at ease about the whole thing and I'll apply soon. Some of you mentioned that they want APA, which I'm really familiar with. Do they actually want 1" margins, double-spacing, in-text citations, and a bibliography? That stuff wasn't in the samples I saw posted.

Goldfinch
Feb 15, 2013

big-boned :colbert:
I think they're talking about AP style, not APA style. I've only done a little bit of work on Textbroker, but it definitely hasn't been APA or any academic style.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Nighthand posted:

Check the bit about LiveOps in the OP if you want more call center stuff from home. It's the only thing I know about offhand for that, though.

Thanks! The LiveOps post also confirmed that paying for your background check is pretty common, so that was exactly what I needed.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Goldfinch posted:

I think they're talking about AP style, not APA style. I've only done a little bit of work on Textbroker, but it definitely hasn't been APA or any academic style.

This.

Citations depend on the client. Some want in-text links, others want references at the bottom, most don't give a poo poo.

Margins don't matter, you submit through their own little textbox. Text formatting is generally just like a forum post here; double spaces between paragraphs, no indentations.

titties
May 10, 2012

Goldfinch posted:

Nighthand posted:

This.

Citations depend on the client. Some want in-text links, others want references at the bottom, most don't give a poo poo.

Margins don't matter, you submit through their own little textbox. Text formatting is generally just like a forum post here; double spaces between paragraphs, no indentations.

That's great, thank you. I wasn't paying attention well enough.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Spartan421 posted:

So long as they don't give me the ~judging foods~ files where I have to fight the urge to put in [WET CHEWING] as a sound cue, I'll be okay.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

An Old Boot posted:

So long as they don't give me the ~judging foods~ files where I have to fight the urge to put in [WET CHEWING] as a sound cue, I'll be okay.

I'm sure I told this story before, but I had to work a dating show where the guy excused himself from dinner to use the restroom and the sound engineer neglected to shut off his goddamn radio mic.

Spartan421
Jul 5, 2004

Haha

Yeah, I hate the judging files too. Everyone has to get their own stupid description of the magical power of the food in over everyone else. My favorite Food Network is the one on one interviews. One time I laid back and put NON-INTERVIEW for a ten minute stretch.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
How about those recent leading chain grocery store ones? Why is every mom chewing gum, constantly and loudly now? People, just don't talk wiht poo poo in your mouth!

Also, ewww...nobody needs to be paid to hear someone else pee...wait, scratch that...I hope you were paid lots ot have to hear someone pee.

Also DT has been updating the site this week, the new careers page is here

https://dailytranscription.com/careers/

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I just thank God the guy didn't have to take a dump.

I actually kind of miss reality shows, though; about 90% of my work this year has been either movies or news agencies. I miss the... interesting specimens of humanity you run into with reality shows. Like the one guy who'd apparently shotgunned the entire minibar before coming down to the interview and got gradually more and more incoherent over the course of the half-hour until they finally had to stop because he wasn't making words anymore. (Although that one was a bit of a challenge because they wanted full verbatim, and it's hard to spell "Fbz brgz mump ah ha ha ha.")

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

I actually kind of miss reality shows, though; about 90% of my work this year has been either movies or news agencies. I miss the... interesting specimens of humanity you run into with reality shows. Like the one guy who'd apparently shotgunned the entire minibar before coming down to the interview and got gradually more and more incoherent over the course of the half-hour until they finally had to stop because he wasn't making words anymore. (Although that one was a bit of a challenge because they wanted full verbatim, and it's hard to spell "Fbz brgz mump ah ha ha ha.")

[speaking indistinctly] :cheeky:

You know what I dislike? How basically all my transcribers are middle-aged ladies who feel the need to send me a three paragraph story about their life when they send me their weekly available minutes. I should really get some pasty goons on my roster. The more terse the interaction the better.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

Considering all the [NON-INTERVIEW] stuff that happens, and my general speed when I'm doing things through Dragon, the cheapie reality show poo poo pays serious bank in comparison to the 'let's talk through cheese cloth in an echoing room full of ten people' crap that pays the same amount. Honestly, even if I start branching out to other clients, I think I'll stay on the DT roster specifically for reality TV (never mind that the [NON-INTERVIEW] banter tends to be enlightening/hilarious, so that's a plus).

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated, but one "bonus" of using Dragon is playing 'spot the unfortunate error' on a second pass. Busty sulfides and enema farmer have been some of the best so far, and I'm sure I'll be cataloging more as time goes on. :v:

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 2, 2014

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

An Old Boot posted:

Considering all the [NON-INTERVIEW] stuff that happens, and my general speed when I'm doing things through Dragon, the cheapie reality show poo poo pays serious bank in comparison to the 'let's talk through cheese cloth in an echoing room full of ten people' crap that pays the same amount. Honestly, even if I start branching out to other clients, I think I'll stay on the DT roster specifically for reality TV (never mind that the [NON-INTERVIEW] banter tends to be enlightening/hilarious, so that's a plus).

EDIT: Somewhat unrelated, but one "bonus" of using Dragon is playing 'spot the unfortunate error' on a second pass. Busty sulfides and enema farmer have been some of the best so far, and I'm sure I'll be cataloging more as time goes on. :v:

So it is possible to use dictation tools for this kind of work. What percentage of the time would you say Dragon is a viable option? Are there types of transcribing that are no good for that, maybe technical stuff?

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

[speaking indistinctly] :cheeky:

You know what I dislike? How basically all my transcribers are middle-aged ladies who feel the need to send me a three paragraph story about their life when they send me their weekly available minutes. I should really get some pasty goons on my roster. The more terse the interaction the better.

Yeah, but I feel obligated to try as hard as I can to parse out what any given mumblemouthed idiot is saying before I resort to an inaudible/unintelligible tag. It can be a chore when I know for a fact I should really just skip over a random explosion of syllables instead of trying to tease out actual meaning, but attention to detail has also helped me land some very good clients, so it pays off in the end.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah, but I feel obligated to try as hard as I can to parse out what any given mumblemouthed idiot is saying before I resort to an inaudible/unintelligible tag. It can be a chore when I know for a fact I should really just skip over a random explosion of syllables instead of trying to tease out actual meaning, but attention to detail has also helped me land some very good clients, so it pays off in the end.

This is very true.

Also, all the best interviews start with "Do you want another beer before we get going?" Ah, tha magic! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

So it is possible to use dictation tools for this kind of work. What percentage of the time would you say Dragon is a viable option? Are there types of transcribing that are no good for that, maybe technical stuff?

I use it for pretty much everything, and it manages to pick up on terms that I was surprised to see in the dictionary. Really, if you go through the trouble of training it, and training yourself to revoice quickly, then it does make for faster work.

The only troublesome files that I've run into are ones with lots of 'uh's,' and multiple stutters, but I've gotten used to saying 'it hyphen it hyphen it hyphen I hyphen what I mean to say is' etc, and it doesn't create too big a slowdown. 'Uh' isn't in the dictionary, as well (no big shock there), so I have to stop revoicing to add it in manually, but it's really not that difficult to get used to.

I'm using Dragon 12, for reference, and after spending time with the voice trainer/etc, it's made life a lot easier (and decreased wrist strain brought on by those fast-talkers). At this point, I can typically keep pace with fast-talkers, and do about 40mins of tape in an hour (on the first pass). Took practice, but it's worth it, and I honestly haven't used the keyboard exclusively for anything since I bought the pro edition.

EDIT: This may seem like a 'duh' bit of advice, but one thing I'd recommend doing - for anyone who's curious to try it out - is to put talk radio on when you're in the car or whatever (or an audio book, at first, since that'd probably be a bit less challenging) and start trying to revoice everything that's being said, punctuation and all. It'll give you a good idea of what you're in for.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 3, 2014