Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hehehewwwwwww
Nov 24, 2005

dddddddd

hehehewwwwwww fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Dominic R. posted:

please tell me music that is like

Mezzanine by Massive Attack
Becoming X by Sneaker Pimps

concentrating on that cool, deep vibe that makes me feel like some cool UK guy cruising around his car in a tracksuit. i dont know anything about this kind of music i have been listening to gabber only for the past two years.

Depends what tracks on the album you're looking for, but I'm guessing you want a sexier vibe then is in a lot of trip-hop. Massive Attack's previous album "Blue Lines" had some of that, most notably on Safe From Harm.

I posted a question very similar to yours a little while ago, you can check replies to the post to see suggestions I got and see if any fit the bill: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3056853&pagenumber=194&perpage=40#post427550371

Tricky - Maxinquaye might be worth a look as well.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I guess this is technically more of a "Stupid questions" question rather then me asking for recommendations, but i didn't find anywhere else to post it so:

I love instrumental versions of songs that normally have lyrics, but with the caveat that the vocals have to be replaced by an instrument, instead of being left out. Does this have a name and where can i find stuff like this? I'm not looking for karaoke versions.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Killstick posted:

I guess this is technically more of a "Stupid questions" question rather then me asking for recommendations, but i didn't find anywhere else to post it so:

I love instrumental versions of songs that normally have lyrics, but with the caveat that the vocals have to be replaced by an instrument, instead of being left out. Does this have a name and where can i find stuff like this? I'm not looking for karaoke versions.

Muzak-style music generally does this

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

Killstick posted:

It's a bit kitschy, but Lord Sitar is an instrumental album of 60's pop/rock songs played predominantly on the sitar. There's a few good cuts on there worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=122__aBqSvY

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
What are some good Dancehall Reggae albums? I'm well familiar with Roots reggae, but I'd really like to get more in to the dancehall stuff.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Blast Fantasto posted:

What are some good Dancehall Reggae albums? I'm well familiar with Roots reggae, but I'd really like to get more in to the dancehall stuff.

King Jammy's Selector's Choice Vols 1 - 4
Firehouse Revolution: King Tubby's Productions in the Digital Era 1985-89
Henry "Junjo" Lawes - Volcano Eruption
George Phang - Power House Selector's Choice, Vols 1 - ?
Winston Riley - Quintessential Techniques
The Biggest Dancehall Anthems 1979-82: The Birth of Dancehall
Rough Inna Town: The Xterminator Sound
Under Mi Sleng Teng: The Dawning of Digital Reggae
Dancehall: The Rise of Jamaican Dancehall Culture

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ras Het posted:

Thank you so much! I'll listen to all of these over the next few days.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

This is a very specific request, but I'm looking for anything similar to Peer Pressure from the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zDnTb0RTBI

It's really that melancholic, bittersweet feeling I'm looking for, and I guess the beach house scene really has the same feeling as the piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zHZwIYYSXc

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

This will be tricky.

So, in southern Wisconsin is this place called House on the Rock, a truly bizarre house designed by one of Frank Lloyd Wright's former proteges. Throughout the house are these coin-operated automated "bands" that play ... I guess it might be considered jazz? Very retro 40s or 50s in sound.

The closest I've heard to this style of music is Orbital's Spare Parts Express
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFIdNr1PGCM -- although, without the beats. Just the sound of the main theme is what I'm looking for.

Anyone know what genre that would be considered or other music like it?

e: Youtube has some of the House on the Rock music machines, though not the specific one I had in mind. Still, not too dissimilar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFNacHoaF14 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICgipP4LJmA

Those sound more like calliope music I guess.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 1, 2014

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Black Griffon posted:

This is a very specific request, but I'm looking for anything similar to Peer Pressure from the Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zDnTb0RTBI

It's really that melancholic, bittersweet feeling I'm looking for, and I guess the beach house scene really has the same feeling as the piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zHZwIYYSXc

Gymnopedie No. 1-3 by Satie and Phillip Glass' soundtrack to The Truman Show would probably be right up your alley.

This might also be a bit on the nose, but there's also the music from the beach scene from Her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da-ELYFRFpc

Jonnymonster
Mar 26, 2007
Snatch Goblin
Hey guys,

I am looking for something similar to the following:

Cass McCombs
Devendra Banhart
Girls
Patrick Watson
Owen Pallett
Sufjan Stevens

Cheers!

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Jonnymonster posted:

Hey guys,

Cass McCombs
Devendra Banhart
Girls
Patrick Watson
Owen Pallett
Sufjan Stevens

Cheers!

If you aren't already familiar with Owen Pallet's earlier works under the name Final Fantasy you will enjoy them. I'd also recommend Antony and the Johnson's. (The Crying Light in particular.) Belle & Sebastian, Bright Eyes, Andrew Bird, Perfume Genius and Pale Young Gentlemen are all excellent and in the same range.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Declan MacManus posted:

Gymnopedie No. 1-3 by Satie and Phillip Glass' soundtrack to The Truman Show would probably be right up your alley.

This might also be a bit on the nose, but there's also the music from the beach scene from Her: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da-ELYFRFpc

Yeah, I like these suggestions, thanks! And I didn't know that the soundtrack to Her was Arcade Fire and Owen Pallet, that's two of my favorite things right there.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Ras Het posted:

Both Trojan dancehall collections (well I have 2 anyway, may be more).
Haul & Pull Up Selecta: Dancehall 1979-82

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I've lately gotten this weird compulsion to listen to music'll that spook me. What's some good stuff that goes more along the lines of that sort of howling-of-the-damned sound in Ligeti's Requiem, rather than any jump-scare sort of thing? I want something atmospheric that'll make me paranoid and afraid when it's dark outside and I'm alone.

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Ofaloaf posted:

I've lately gotten this weird compulsion to listen to music'll that spook me. What's some good stuff that goes more along the lines of that sort of howling-of-the-damned sound in Ligeti's Requiem, rather than any jump-scare sort of thing? I want something atmospheric that'll make me paranoid and afraid when it's dark outside and I'm alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjvRw6fwpkU

Gets really cool and spooky from especially 15:00 onwards.

But as for something that really freaks me out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0OIzd9euEY

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Jonnymonster posted:

Hey guys,

Cass McCombs
Devendra Banhart
Girls
Patrick Watson
Owen Pallett
Sufjan Stevens

Cheers!

a little more off the beaten path: Pinetop Seven, Flotation Toy Warning, Starless and Bible Black (the band, not the King Crimson album), Skygreen Leopards, Black Forest/Black Sea

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 03:13 on May 5, 2014

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Black Griffon posted:

You should definitely check out Brian Eno's collaborations with Harold Budd (start with Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l77cA3z0DU

Ofaloaf posted:

He's released a lot of albums under this name, but Steven Wilson's Bass Communion is mostly dark ambient stuff that I think would fit what you're after. This one is really chill and kinda just eerie, but a lot of his albums are more just straight up sort of creepy, like Ghosts on Magnetic Tape.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Maybe Fantomas - Delerium Cordia? It's supposed to be a soundtrack to surgery without anaesthesia

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm looking for stuff like M83's Hurry Up we're Dreaming. Big exultant electronic pop. The kinda stuff that can just make you stop whatever you're doing and just listen for a moment.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

This is also of interest to me!

Small Black has a similar sound imo. Free at Dawn is a good example (video sorta NWS as it has flashes of nudity – look it up on Spotify or something).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

strap on revenge posted:

You should definitely check out Brian Eno's collaborations with Harold Budd (start with Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l77cA3z0DU

This is perfect, thanks.

Jonnymonster
Mar 26, 2007
Snatch Goblin

zhuangcg posted:

If you aren't already familiar with Owen Pallet's earlier works under the name Final Fantasy you will enjoy them. I'd also recommend Antony and the Johnson's. (The Crying Light in particular.) Belle & Sebastian, Bright Eyes, Andrew Bird, Perfume Genius and Pale Young Gentlemen are all excellent and in the same range.

I had a listen to Owen Pallett's earlier work under the Final Fantasy moniker many years ago. From memory one of the EP's went the rounds quite a bit in the car, but I am overseas for an extended period and don't have all of my music with me. He has an album coming out this month though so I am looking forward to that. Anyway, as for the other stuff:

Antony and the Johnson's - Some very powerful stuff. Save this one for a sad rainy day I think!!

Bright Eyes - I had a look at the album "The People's Key". It had some good moments and it is probably something I could listen to again.
Pale Young Gentlemen - A little too quirky for my tastes. Probably need to listen to an album rather than some random youtube clip though!
Saving the best for last here!

Perfume Genius - Wow! I checked out the clip for hood and was like WTF! But the album "Put Your Back N 2 It" was very enjoyable. Loved his voice and just the general mood of the music. Funnily enough the song hood is probably my favourite so far off the album.

Andrew Bird - This is exactly what I was looking for. Got onto the album "Break It Yourself" and I love it. Great violins, voice, love the bass lines, and the percussion is perfect for the music. Some of the floaty guitar work is beautiful! Absolute quality!

PS I didn't listen to any Belle & Sebastian. Can you recommend a particular album?

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

Jonnymonster posted:

I had a listen to Owen Pallett's earlier work under the Final Fantasy moniker many years ago. From memory one of the EP's went the rounds quite a bit in the car, but I am overseas for an extended period and don't have all of my music with me. He has an album coming out this month though so I am looking forward to that. Anyway, as for the other stuff:

Antony and the Johnson's - Some very powerful stuff. Save this one for a sad rainy day I think!!

Bright Eyes - I had a look at the album "The People's Key". It had some good moments and it is probably something I could listen to again.
Pale Young Gentlemen - A little too quirky for my tastes. Probably need to listen to an album rather than some random youtube clip though!
Saving the best for last here!

Perfume Genius - Wow! I checked out the clip for hood and was like WTF! But the album "Put Your Back N 2 It" was very enjoyable. Loved his voice and just the general mood of the music. Funnily enough the song hood is probably my favourite so far off the album.

Andrew Bird - This is exactly what I was looking for. Got onto the album "Break It Yourself" and I love it. Great violins, voice, love the bass lines, and the percussion is perfect for the music. Some of the floaty guitar work is beautiful! Absolute quality!

PS I didn't listen to any Belle & Sebastian. Can you recommend a particular album?

I'm glad you liked my recommendations. "If You're Feeling Sinister" is our household favorite Belle and Sebastian album. The Boy with the Arab Strap and Tigermilk are also excellent albums from them.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Thank you all for the recommendations-- that Parhelic Triangle piece in particular was particularly chilling, along with Delirium Cordia. Those worked out splendidly!

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Someone gimme something like Sweet Trip or Uncle Skeleton.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Alright. I need some tips on great afrobeat bands. I've already heard (and a fan of) Fela Kuti, Seun Kuti, Shaolin Afronauts, Antibalas and The Budos Band.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

ulvir posted:

Alright. I need some tips on great afrobeat bands. I've already heard (and a fan of) Fela Kuti, Seun Kuti, Shaolin Afronauts, Antibalas and The Budos Band.

With some overlap to highlife & suck: Tony Allen obvsly, Akóya Afrobeat Ensemble, Segun Bucknor, Orlando Julius, William Onyeabor, Bob Ohiri & His Uhuru Sounds, The Souljazz Orchestra, Ebo Taylor, Geraldo Pino, Karl Hector & The Malcouns, The Daktaris, Pax Nicholas & The Nettey Family, Jimi Tenor & Kabu Kabu (and Jimi Tenor & Tony Allen obvsly).

Comps:

Nigeria 70: The Definitive Story of 1970s Funky Lagos
Ghana Soundz: Afro-Beat, Funk and Fusion in 70's Ghana
Africafunk: The Original Sound of 1970's Funky Africa
Africafunk Vol. 2: Return to the Original Sound of 1970's Funky Africa
Ghana Soundz Volume 2: Afro-Beat, Funk and Fusion in 70's Ghana
Nigeria 70 - Lagos Jump: Original Heavyweight Afrobeat Highlife & Afro-Funk
Afro-Beat Airways: West African Shock Waves from Ghana & Togo 1972-79
Nigeria 70: Sweet Times

If you want to expand that to afrofunk (which is more different than you might guess), then that's a whole another ballpark (check my post history), and you'd be starting with like Orchestre Polyrythmo de Cotonou and such.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

I'm looking for some real angry/frustrated music. Lately, Pissed Jeans has been fitting the bill, but I've gone through their whole output several times over and I'm looking for something similar. They definitely channel Black Flag and I'm very familiar with most 80s hardcore, punk, etc.

Other bands that kind of fit the attitude I'm looking for include Poison Idea, early Ceremony, early hosed Up, and some Nine Inch Nails songs like Last or Heresy. Harsh, yelling/yowling vocals like old Henry Rollins and the singer from Pissed Jeans are kind of where I'm heading here. Artists who are still making music is a plus, but not required.

Punk and metal generally fit the bill here, but I'm pretty open to other genres that just ooze apathy, anger, disgust, or general discomfort/dissatisfaction with life. Energy is somewhat important, and a good example of what's gotten me so into Pissed Jeans can be summed up in the following aggressively apathetic track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BstpFV98mRg

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

The Balm posted:

I'm looking for some real angry/frustrated music. Lately, Pissed Jeans has been fitting the bill, but I've gone through their whole output several times over and I'm looking for something similar. They definitely channel Black Flag and I'm very familiar with most 80s hardcore, punk, etc.

Other bands that kind of fit the attitude I'm looking for include Poison Idea, early Ceremony, early hosed Up, and some Nine Inch Nails songs like Last or Heresy. Harsh, yelling/yowling vocals like old Henry Rollins and the singer from Pissed Jeans are kind of where I'm heading here. Artists who are still making music is a plus, but not required.

Punk and metal generally fit the bill here, but I'm pretty open to other genres that just ooze apathy, anger, disgust, or general discomfort/dissatisfaction with life. Energy is somewhat important, and a good example of what's gotten me so into Pissed Jeans can be summed up in the following aggressively apathetic track:

I would recommend Death Grips. Crazy energy yowling vocals still making a huge amount of music. Check out "the money store"

anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

The Balm posted:

In the post-punk vein of things 'You're Nothing' by Iceage should fit the bill pretty well; the vocals are never quite angry but are dripping with hate and the instrumentation is noisy and loud.

If you're fan of Nine Inch Nails harder hitting stuff you could probably appreciate Godflesh. Their early stuff (namely 'Streetcleaner') is very desolate, crushing industrial metal while their later works implemented a lot more electronic influences while still maintaining their core sound ('Songs of Love and Hate' is good for this). The vocals are almost always growled/yelled and typically involve dark, misanthropic lyrics.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Can anyone recommend some good house/deep house that sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoYD9wxWfXA

or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opvopULDhVI

The longer the track length the better.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

Does anyone have some good garage punk or modern lo-fi garage rock recommendations?

Just looking for lo-fi, rough around the edges kind of stuff

I believe someone else in this thread recommended The Mummies, and I would, too. Real dirty garage punk from some guys who sound like they're having a lot of fun making it.

Thanks to posters blakout and anti-magic. Listening to Iceage right now and really digging it. I'll check out Death Grips and Godflesh next.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Balm posted:

I think Dangers are pretty much the most pissed off band around. Their debut is called "Anger" for a reason.

I would also recommend the entire powerviolence genre.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

The Balm posted:

Like every song by The Heartburns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-kB4NgrM4M

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

The Balm posted:

harsh vocals, apathetic vibes

you should check out Drunks With Guns, Rusted Shut, No Trend and Watery Love for sloppy, sludgy dirge stuff like Pissed Jeans

For hardcore, I'd say Hoax, Creem, Culo and maybe Hank Wood and the Hammerheads (more of a lunkheaded garage punk thing)

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

Awesome, thanks for the recommendations everyone. I'd totally forgotten about Dangers, but yeah they're another good example of what I'm looking for. Meanwhile, Iceage has been really great.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I'm looking for more modern bands who have something like a 70's stoner rock sound. Specifically, if I haven't been able to stop listening to The Sheepdogs recently, who else should I be looking into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Rockzilla posted:

I'm looking for more modern bands who have something like a 70's stoner rock sound. Specifically, if I haven't been able to stop listening to The Sheepdogs recently, who else should I be looking into?
You're in luck, such bands seem to be popping up like mushrooms after rain nowadays. Here's a few:

Graveyard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9H8rzGK4jE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvKy56jIf_Y

Orchid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvtAMFhbuRA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA_Q8ci7bag

Mount Carmel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zv7hB0qtoY https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj6uY7nWJDQ