Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Its really really dumb that you can be invaded in areas you've beaten the boss in and I have no idea why they put that in. Its impossible to be safe once you get to a high SM unless you burn an effigy at a bonfire or have a character specced to kill PvPers.

EDIT: It really annoys me that this PvP is so close to being good but is ruined by a bunch of issues. I genuinely believe the hitboxes on many weapons are hosed up. I regularly get hit by stuff I'm clearly not next too. I don't remember it ever being this bad in Dark Souls.

When you do get good PvP matches its so much fun though.

What's this obnoxious spear with the twirly combo I see a bunch of people using?

Did you know that when you're in the vendor menus the invasion message hides under it rather than pop up on top? There's still a sound and your controller vibrates (if you're using one) but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

NuckmasterJ posted:

For some odd reason none of my NPC's are coming back to Majula. The crazy woman from the Forest of Giants has not come, nor the map guy and I cleared every square inch of that place. Did I miss something?

Did you go past the armored turtle knight in Forest of Giants and kill any of the bosses past there? This is what prevented those two returning to town for me and I didn't realize this until I was like 30+ hours in to my playthrough.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013
The way to Undead Purgatory is probably the hardest part in the game.

I'm on NG++ and all of these stupid phantoms attack me at the same time. Even sniping them doesn't work.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Matlock Birthmark posted:

So, no suggestions on making whips not underperform? Alright, guess it's time to try out that great club.

I've been dual-weilding a fire whip with a dark old whip, and that's been working out pretty great. Whips in general don't have enough durability to stand by themselves, and they also lack damage. While the old whip has damage, it's durability is abysmal to the point that by itself it's unusable.

However, whips are great at supplementing other mid-range weapons. This includes whips themselves. For example, I can deal damage with the old whip when I require it, and when I want to save the durability of my old whip I just use the other whip instead. And since you're also using the old whip, your secondary whip also takes less wear and tear. This allows me to deal decent damage at a decent range while keeping my whips functional.

I haven't tried the status whips yet, although I heard having a poison-infused spotted whip with poison resin on it is pretty effective. Since Fai increases Bleed BNS for whatever reason, a faith build should be able to use a bleed-infused notched whip pretty well.

Ice_Mallet fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 1, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

EDIT: It really annoys me that this PvP is so close to being good but is ruined by a bunch of issues. I genuinely believe the hitboxes on many weapons are hosed up. I regularly get hit by stuff I'm clearly not next too. I don't remember it ever being this bad in Dark Souls.

Let me tell you about a little thing called latency

(and before you ask, it was no different in dks)

Kawabata posted:

Hahaha. I pvped in DaS1 for over a year, finished both DS and DaS several times, and if you browse my post history you'll read that I've completed both Rats and Bellbros in an afternoon, dying a total of 6 times.

I'm not complaining because I'm bad at the game, I'm simply saying that this game is the cheaper of the 3, and I'm in good company, regardless of what the DaS2 insufferable master race seems to think. It's not harder, I never said that. I agreee with you that it might be even easier this time around, considering the game has a much better multiplayer and bosses/bad spots can be cheesed without too much effort with any 3 men party, but level design/single player gameplay are just not on par with the 2 previous games.

And collision detection is still loving terrible.

There's nothing cheap in this, beyond maybe A.D.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Ice_Mallet posted:

I've been dual-weilding a fire whip with a dark old whip, and that's been working out pretty well. Whips in generally don't have enough durability to stand by themselves, and they also lack damage. While the old whip has damage, it's durability is abysmal to the point that by itself it's unusable.

However, whips are great at supplementing other mid-range weapons. This includes whips themselves. For example, I can deal damage with the old whip when I require it, and when I want to save the durability of my old whip I just use the other whip instead. And since you're also using the old whip, your secondary whip also takes less wear and tear. This allows me to deal decent damage at a decent range while keeping my whips functional.

I haven't tried the status whips yet, although I heard having a poison-infused spotted whip with poison resin on it is pretty effective. Since Fai increases Bleed BNS for whatever reason, a faith build should be able to use a bleed-infused notched whip pretty well.

Dex is better for increasing status effect bonuses

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Genocyber posted:

In PVP that's definitely the largest issues. Some of the hitboxes do seem genuinely weird, though, at least on the enemies. I can regularly walk through attacks by Heide Tower giants, with their swords visibly passing through me, but get stabbed by the Old Dragonslayer even when I'm already 90 degrees away from where he is when his charge-up finishes.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Yodzilla posted:

Did you go past the armored turtle knight in Forest of Giants and kill any of the bosses past there? This is what prevented those two returning to town for me and I didn't realize this until I was like 30+ hours in to my playthrough.

If it was undead, I murdered it. I however did not exhaust all dialogue though. Its fixed now. Thanks goonies!

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Ice_Mallet posted:

I've been dual-weilding a fire whip with a dark old whip, and that's been working out pretty great. Whips in general don't have enough durability to stand by themselves, and they also lack damage. While the old whip has damage, it's durability is abysmal to the point that by itself it's unusable.

Hmm. Thanks for the advice. I think I need to just buckle down and beat the game, instead of hoping all over the place with my characters. My Richter Belmont build was getting more use out of the Heide knight sword than my multitude of whips. Hell, I could do next to no damage to Smelter demon with anything. On the plus note, I'm really good at dodging Smelters attacks now.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

Dex is better for increasing status effect bonuses

Well yes, I was just stating the whole Fai/Bleed BNS thing because it seems to make no sense to me. :shrug:

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Man, I feel like helping people fight the Covetous Demon is the most subtly insulting thing you can do. It's like you're saying "Ha! You need help with this guy!"

And yet it's the best option I have for getting my humanity back because my soul memory is so high that the only people who can summon me in Heide's are in NG+ and pretty much everything else is a tad crazy.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Akett posted:

Man, I feel like helping people fight the Covetous Demon is the most subtly insulting thing you can do. It's like you're saying "Ha! You need help with this guy!"

And yet it's the best option I have for getting my humanity back because my soul memory is so high that the only people who can summon me in Heide's are in NG+ and pretty much everything else is a tad crazy.

Assuming you've gotten there, Shrine of Amana is a pretty good place to farm human effigies. The lizard folk drop them.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Akett posted:

And yet it's the best option I have for getting my humanity back because my soul memory is so high that the only people who can summon me in Heide's are in NG+.

I've been summoning all sorts of help for every boss I've already beaten. It's not so much that I need the help, it's that I want to spread the rewards to others.
Summoned help for Last Giant and Covetous last night, and I think my co-op partner for Earthen Rise was shocked when we got to the 2nd bonefire and I immediately torched the windmill.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Minorkos posted:

Assuming you've gotten there, Shrine of Amana is a pretty good place to farm human effigies. The lizard folk drop them.

It's a good place to make you want to chop your dick off with your controller as well

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

man, so I am following the pro-strat hexers guide and I bonfire ascetic'd the poo poo out of undead lockaway. the only trouble is every phantom I summon decides the best strat for skeleton lords is to kill all 3 of them and let me die to a swarm of adds.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Minorkos posted:

If you got ascetics, best bet is to ascetic Majula bonfire and kill the skellies in the basement. Each drops a human effigy and there is +1 each time (up to a maximum of 8).

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

FirstPersonShitter posted:

man, so I am following the pro-strat hexers guide and I bonfire ascetic'd the poo poo out of undead lockaway. the only trouble is every phantom I summon decides the best strat for skeleton lords is to kill all 3 of them and let me die to a swarm of adds.

Ahh, okay qualification, I wouldn't summon help for Skeleton Lords or Smelter demon. Skeleton Lords are really very easy solo, and help just leads to exactly as you say. Smelter demon because I find the health increase not worth the tradeoff for the extra bodies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Kawabata posted:

Hahaha. I pvped in DaS1 for over a year, finished both DS and DaS several times, and if you browse my post history you'll read that I've completed both Rats and Bellbros in an afternoon, dying a total of 6 times.

I'm not complaining because I'm bad at the game, I'm simply saying that this game is the cheaper of the 3, and I'm in good company, regardless of what the DaS2 insufferable master race seems to think. It's not harder, I never said that. I agreee with you that it might be even easier this time around, considering the game has a much better multiplayer and bosses/bad spots can be cheesed without too much effort with any 3 men party, but level design/single player gameplay are just not on par with the 2 previous games.

And collision detection is still loving terrible.

You've yet to give a meaningful defintion of what "cheaper" means besides demonstrating to us that you couldn't spot an ambush and misconstrued it as enemies manifesting from thin air.

"BUT THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO AGREE WITH ME" doesn't make you sound like any less of an idiot whiner. No poo poo there are people who agree with you, somewhere. I could find people who'd nod their heads if I said the sky was purple. You are on the internet congrats.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'm perpetually 5k posts behind in this thread, never gonna' catch up so I'll just ask:

Whats a good quality weapon comparable to the Drangleic GS, but that I can upgrade with regular ol' titanite other than the Greatsword (too heavy and slow). Doesn't have to be a GS, just something around that speed/weight/damage class.

Also I've gotten 3 of the great souls Sinner, Spider Monster Lady, and The Rotten, and I have no idea where to go now, I've exhausted all the paths yet-to-be-explored that I was aware of, but I don't want to just look up the answer. Just a hint on what area I should look into more thoroughly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I've been summoning all sorts of help for every boss I've already beaten. It's not so much that I need the help, it's that I want to spread the rewards to others.
Summoned help for Last Giant and Covetous last night, and I think my co-op partner for Earthen Rise was shocked when we got to the 2nd bonefire and I immediately torched the windmill.

Covetous Demon is probably a hotspot for sunbros anyway due to the location. I'd rather summon guys in for an easy boss to grind out sun medals, anyway.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

The Protagonist posted:

Also I've gotten 3 of the great souls Sinner, Spider Monster Lady, and The Rotten, and I have no idea where to go now, I've exhausted all the paths yet-to-be-explored that I was aware of, but I don't want to just look up the answer. Just a hint on what area I should look into more thoroughly.

After you beat Old Dragonrider and unlocked that bonfire, did you talk to the Miracle lady? If you did, did you exhaust her dialogue so that she leaves? And when she leaves, have you found her a second time? If you have trouble finding her, go back to Majula and head on the path back towards Heide's Tower of Flame

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 1, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

armoredgorilla posted:

I cooped with a Simon Belmont last night. Leather armor, leather shield and a whip. When he realized the whip wasn't doing enough damage, he switched chucking Witching Urns. :allears:

Probably my favorite message I've seen so far in my playthrough is "Now the true battle begins." Right in front of where you pick up the notched whip. :allears:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

The Protagonist posted:

I'm perpetually 5k posts behind in this thread, never gonna' catch up so I'll just ask:

Whats a good quality weapon comparable to the Drangleic GS, but that I can upgrade with regular ol' titanite other than the Greatsword (too heavy and slow). Doesn't have to be a GS, just something around that speed/weight/damage class.

I'm rocking a +10 Bastard Sword right now and it's exactly what you want. Claymore works as well.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Sydin posted:

Probably my favorite message I've seen so far in my playthrough is "Now the true battle begins." Right in front of where you pick up the notched whip. :allears:

Mine is "Comfort ahead" in front of the chest with the Zweihander in it.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

NuckmasterJ posted:

For some odd reason none of my NPC's are coming back to Majula. The crazy woman from the Forest of Giants has not come, nor the map guy and I cleared every square inch of that place. Did I miss something?

You have to exhaust dialogue first. Keep talking to them.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

I'm rocking a +10 Bastard Sword right now and it's exactly what you want. Claymore works as well.

It's not quality (but quality is bad in this anyway) but the Mastodon Greatsword is the bastard Sword but better. Same moveset, longer, more damage. Requires 30 str and has an A str scaling.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Genocyber posted:

(and before you ask, it was no different in dks)

I don't need to ask because I played Dark Souls PvP a ton and never had this many problems with it. Yes you occasionally got the guy the lagged to hell and back, but I never found myself wondering how the gently caress I was being hit as much as I am here. A good example of this is sorceries; I never had a problem dodging spells in Dark Souls. In Dark Souls 2, even regular soul arrows are hitting me. I clearly dodge them and then get hit anyways.

I don't know if its lag or hit boxes or whatever, but it just feel so much worse than it did in Dark Souls. Actually, you're probably right and that it is purely latency because dodging the soul arrows in Shrine of Anime was easy as hell even though it never works for me online. Maybe I just have terrible luck with who I'm getting matched too. I hope its the later, because then one of my biggest issues with the pvp in this game would be resolved.

EDIT: On a more positive note, I just had my first PvP fight with a true Pyromancer. Big fiery explosions all over the loving place. Pyromancy rules.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 1, 2014

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

FirstPersonShitter posted:

I'm following the same guide and at the same point and I'm just getting my face smashed in before I can even get to the boss.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Do Sunbros get both a Sunlight Medal and a Token of Fidelity, or just one?

edit: And for those curious, the pro-strat hexer's guide?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 1, 2014

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

MadJackMcJack posted:

Mine is "Comfort ahead" in front of the chest with the Zweihander in it.

I got a Zweihander dropped by one of the spider enemis in Brightstone Cave. Now I can zwei-hand my Zweihanders. :dance:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Genocyber posted:

It's not quality (but quality is bad in this anyway) but the Mastodon Greatsword is the bastard Sword but better. Same moveset, longer, more damage. Requires 30 str and has an A str scaling.

Thanks for the answers, but why do you say this? It's been pretty excellent so far!

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Scaling doesn't provide anywhere near the damage that infusing and enchanting your weapon does.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Genocyber posted:

The Mastodon, however, is also heavier and harder to dual wield. :v:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

armoredgorilla posted:

I cooped with a Simon Belmont last night. Leather armor, leather shield and a whip. When he realized the whip wasn't doing enough damage, he switched chucking Witching Urns. :allears:

I've run a similar gimmick. It really made me appreciate how good holy water and throwing knives are.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I have a +10 Lightening Mastodon Greatsword and I loving love it. poo poo wrecks house.

Caik posted:

The way to Undead Purgatory is probably the hardest part in the game.

I'm on NG++ and all of these stupid phantoms attack me at the same time. Even sniping them doesn't work.

Yeah those guys are a real bitch. They're fast and do a ton of goddamn damage.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't need to ask because I played Dark Souls PvP a ton and never had this many problems with it. Yes you occasionally got the guy the lagged to hell and back, but I never found myself wondering how the gently caress I was being hit as much as I am here. A good example of this is sorceries; I never had a problem dodging spells in Dark Souls. In Dark Souls 2, even regular soul arrows are hitting me. I clearly dodge them and then get hit anyways.

I don't know if its lag or hit boxes or whatever, but it just feel so much worse than it did in Dark Souls. Actually, you're probably right and that it is purely latency because dodging the soul arrows in Shrine of Anime was easy as hell even though it never works for me online. Maybe I just have terrible luck with who I'm getting matched too. I hope its the later, because then one of my biggest issues with the pvp in this game would be resolved.

Turn off cross-region play if you're having these issues.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Ravenfood posted:

Do Sunbros get both a Sunlight Medal and a Token of Fidelity, or just one?

edit: And for those curious, the pro-strat hexer's guide?

Just the medal.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
^
Also worth noting that getting medals is hilariously simple now. You get one medal if you beat a boss as a gold phantom, but you also get one for each gold phantom you take with you and survives. So if you're a sunbro and grab two other sunbros to help you in a fight, you get two sun medals. I racked them up like candy without even realizing.

Domattee posted:

Scaling doesn't provide anywhere near the damage that infusing and enchanting your weapon does.

It doesn't? My Greatsword +10 is pretty much stomping anything I come against. It's definitely better than making it Raw (460 +5 Raw vs 400 +10 Regular with ~+150 from scaling).

What are decent enchantments? I still don't get how the ancillary scaling works (what the gently caress does B rank in Lightning Bonus damage mean?) so I'm honestly curious how it works now.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Elemental damage scales off of Int/Faith now. On top of that enchantments gain bonus damage if the weapon is infused with the same element. The result is that high faith/int builds do more damage with their infused+enchanted weapons than str/dex builds with scaling weapons. On top of that the Int/Faith builds get their spells.

Fake edit: Scaling weapons can get equivalent damage if the scaling is amazing (like the club) or you put a resin on it, but the resin costs money.

Real edit: Quality isn't bad, it just isn't as good as enchants.

Domattee fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Turn off cross-region play if you're having these issues.

it can definitely still happen even with it disabled, just less frequently. a lot of people just have bad internet i guess.