Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Saint Sputnik posted:

I was gonna ask. The instructions I followed are for 768/256 rather than 1024/512. What's the difference?

The issue the patch fixes is that when skyrim loads it allocates a block of memory for general use for mod assets and stuff. When that block fills up its supposed to request another chunck of memory from windows and allocate it for more general use but it doesn't always work right. When it breaks you get infinite load screens. Fixing the bug is really hard so instead they let you change how big the initial block of memory is in hopes it never has to request a second one and never reaches the actual infinite loading bug.

The important thing is the two numbers. First is the size of the block of general use memory (the block) second should either be 256 or 512. If the first is bigger than 768 the second MUST be at least 512 or skyrim will break. I don't know if going over 512 makes a difference. Probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Seeing the type of feedback you mod authors deal with makes me appreciate the :10bux: pay wall far more than I ever thought I would. For whatever it's worth: thank you for making your work available. Skyrim is a good game; modded Skyrim is a great game.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

LtSmash posted:

The issue the patch fixes is that when skyrim loads it allocates a block of memory for general use for mod assets and stuff. When that block fills up its supposed to request another chunck of memory from windows and allocate it for more general use but it doesn't always work right. When it breaks you get infinite load screens. Fixing the bug is really hard so instead they let you change how big the initial block of memory is in hopes it never has to request a second one and never reaches the actual infinite loading bug.

The important thing is the two numbers. First is the size of the block of general use memory (the block) second should either be 256 or 512. If the first is bigger than 768 the second MUST be at least 512 or skyrim will break. I don't know if going over 512 makes a difference. Probably not.

To add on to that, the original patch actually did allocate 768 MB of memory for the first block, even though the settings only showed 512. The original memory patch treated the DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB= setting as the amount of memory you were adding in addition to Skyrim's default initial memory allocation of 256 MB as a safety feature (setting the game to allocate less than 256 MB to that initial block just breaks it). SKSE has other safety features to prevent this, so that same setting now accurately reflects how much memory is initially given to Skyrim.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Are there any mods that make it so a sword swing will also cast a spell?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Welp, it's official. FCO won FOTM for April. :psyduck:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Congratulations. I look forward to trying it whenever I get around to playing Skyrim again. People were talking about quest mods like Wyrmtooth, Helgen Reborn, etc. the last few pages. Anyone have an opinion on Jarl of Ivarstead, FCO's mod of the month competition?

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Are there any mods that make it so a sword swing will also cast a spell?

This is pretty hard to do. The animation never syncs up quite right. It's possible, just janky.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

grrarg posted:

Congratulations. I look forward to trying it whenever I get around to playing Skyrim again. People were talking about quest mods like Wyrmtooth, Helgen Reborn, etc. the last few pages. Anyone have an opinion on Jarl of Ivarstead, FCO's mod of the month competition?

I glanced at the page, and put it away again after the really creepy emphasis it placed on being able to put a harem together. Not going to touch it.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Figured out my framerate issue when saving using AutoSave Manager F4, ENB also uses F4 to flush memory.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
TL;DR: I'm running a bunch of mods and the leather recipe has vanished. I need it back.

Oh boy, load order questions!

I'm trying to get Requiem, Realistic Needs, Frostfall, Skyrim Unbound, and Hunterborn all working together so that I can experience the harshest hunting/survival RPG ever and eventually become a hero of the land. Climates of Tamriel and Sounds of Skyrim are tossed on there for good measure. But as you can imagine there's a lot of opportunity for conflict - especially harrowing since I'm a total modding noob and barely even understand load orders and such.

I downloaded all the official compatibility patches between the above mods, plus this thing which aims to get food working more comfortably between RND and Requiem, and this thing. The problem I'm running into involves the crafting menu: I can't make leather! Which is important for making tents and such, likewise important for staying alive in the cold and finding a place to sleep without going broke from Inn costs. The playthrough crumbles before it begins!

I'm pretty clueless as to what's conflicting with what to cause this issue, since the leather recipe is part of the base game. It might even be an intended feature of some mod somewhere! Hoping someone here has a clue.

If this information is helpful: I ran BOSS, and I guess it organized my load order to look like this: top, bottom.

So: Anyone know what's up? Or could you at least provide some guidance in testing this problem? I'm basically flying blind.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I think you need 1 point in Blacksmithing to be able to make Leather, this is from Requiem. Could be wrong though, I don't remember 100%.

I know Requiem will prevent you from making a lot of things by default unless you have the specific perks.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Yeah. Don't use requiem.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

The Mad Archivist posted:

Welp, it's official. FCO won FOTM for April. :psyduck:

Awesome. Did you hide watermelon tits in there to buy votes or something? Thanks for the thanks by the way :blush:

Please check your PMs Mr Crow.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is there anything blatantly wrong with my mods/order that's preventing Dual Sheath Redux from working properly? It worked fine before, but after adding a few more mods it's decided to not work on a clean save I made.

None of the mods I've added since I last remember it working mess with skeletons, which was my first guess.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Strudel Man posted:

Yeah. Don't use requiem.

I'm gonna use Requiem - it's got weird foibles but I prefer its balance issues to those of the vanilla game.

Yep, I just had to buy a really expensive book, turns out. Okey dokey! Thanks.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Space Hamlet posted:

I'm trying to get Requiem, Realistic Needs, Frostfall, Skyrim Unbound, and Hunterborn all working together so that I can experience the harshest hunting/survival RPG ever and eventually become a hero of the land. Climates of Tamriel and Sounds of Skyrim are tossed on there for good measure. But as you can imagine there's a lot of opportunity for conflict - especially harrowing since I'm a total modding noob and barely even understand load orders and such.

You'll want to add CoT's Supreme Storms for harsher weather conditions too.

You can also separate out SkyRe's perk tree module to overwrite parts of Requiem (the two conflict, but I don't think ALL parts of them do), because SkyRe's Wayfarer tree is designed specifically to complement Frostfall with new survival-themed perks.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oh boy! I get to do this now! I wrote an article about what causes NullPointer and Missing Master errors with SkyProc.

On the Nexus, I posted:

Basically, even if you lock your load order, the SkyProccer will run BOSS and change your load order only while it's running and then your load order will change back immediately with no indication of what happened, or why you got the error.

So if you're running BOSS and then manually sorting a few mods BOSS isn't recognizing into the proper order, that's the problem. Because when the SkyProccer runs BOSS, it'll throw those mods back to the bottom of the list and then have errors with your bashed patch because of missing masters.

What you need to do is run the BOSSGUI.exe in the boss directory, and set up User Rules to sort the mods BOSS doesn't recognize into the order you desire. If you're using multiple proccers like me (ASIS, Lootification, Automatic Variants, NPC Enchant Fix, etc) you should set up rules so they are always sorted in the same order too.

Anyhow, the comments are full of people:
  1. Missing the point of what I'm saying.
  2. Coming up with convoluted workarounds in order to avoid setting up user rules in BOSS GUI.
  3. Both a and b!

quote:

So, can I sidestep this problem by just getting a load order I like and then uninstalling BOSS?

quote:

Here is the best way for someone have a problem when skyproc runs and it reorder your load order.
1. Go to C:Users(Your PC Name)AppDataLocalSkyrim
2. Copy the loadorder.txt make backup. put anywhere not in the same folder.
3. Now run skyproc and bashpatched if you have. Once done your load order change. PAIN!
4. Copy your loadorder.txt backup and paste it here C:Users(Your PC Name)AppDataLocalSkyrim. Overwrite.
5. Open your NMM. Bang! Your load order is now in state of awesomeness.

if you can't find some folders because its hidden, Google it and search on "How to show hidden folders on windows"

Utterly missing the point of what Im saying, the point is that the patcher will use the BOSS'd loadorder even if your apparent loadorder never changes!

quote:

1. In your Skyrim directory, create a shortcut for ASIS.jar like this.

2. Download this CMD file and copy it to your Skyrim directory. Open it with a text editor (like Notepad++) and set paths and (optionally) BOSS dir names.

3. Run it.

:suicide:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
How recently did the WATER guy add all the lilypads and textures and shore waves and stuff like that? I was using WATER for a while but I don't remember that stuff, so I switched to Realistic Water Two because the water looks a lot prettier and clearer like water is supposed to. I saw a video on some of WATER's features and it's a lot of things RWT doesn't do, but RWT's textures look so much nicer so I'm torn. What's the consensus lately? Has anyone switched recently, like within the last month or so?

\/\/\/Ah, maybe I just never used WATER long enough to really notice all that stuff. I'll probably stick with RWT.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 06:53 on May 3, 2014

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

sticklefifer posted:

How recently did the WATER guy add all the lilypads and textures and shore waves and stuff like that? I was using WATER for a while but I don't remember that stuff, so I switched to Realistic Water Two because the water looks a lot prettier and clearer like water is supposed to. I saw a video on some of WATER's features and it's a lot of things RWT doesn't do, but RWT's textures look so much nicer so I'm torn. What's the consensus lately? Has anyone switched recently, like within the last month or so?

WATER has had the plants and waves stuff for a long time. I think the plants actually predates Dragonborn. Personally, I flipped between both as well as Pure Waters but in the end I think I prefer RWT.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Don't know if anyone here cares, but I updated my ASIS INIs with Wyrmstooth support!

And TMA's B-Team support too!

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
I'm having some trouble getting GELO to work. I have all the esps all the way at the bottom of my load order, and I've run the patcher and have the patched file at the bottom below the other GELO files. The problem is that I haven't seen a single piece of GELO loot from chests or bosses, but I have the "Guaranteed boss loot" files loaded. I don't think I've seen a single piece of GELO loot period, actually.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Don't know if anyone here cares, but I updated my ASIS INIs with Wyrmstooth support!

And TMA's B-Team support too!

I care. Time to regenerate my patches. Not that I got more than 5 minutes into Skyrim Unbound before a crash. Some spider shot me with a web, and Skyrim immediately froze.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Ynglaur posted:

I care. Time to regenerate my patches. Not that I got more than 5 minutes into Skyrim Unbound before a crash. Some spider shot me with a web, and Skyrim immediately froze.

Immersion.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I've been away from this game for a good while. I thought I'd inquire about a few mod options to see if people who have remained current with it know if such options exist now.

Are there any alt-start mods that work with Live Another Life that would let me start as a Homesteader on one of the three Hearthfire properties?

Has there been any progress on a 2hand/bow/xbow csting mod? The last I looked there were no good 1h xbows and the only real options was Grimey Utilities to hotkey a spell to just fire out of your face.

Is there anything new in the 'spellfist' category? There was a guy who made an 'Arcane Fist' mod a while back but it was way too effect-heavy and overpowered.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Ynglaur posted:

Not that I got more than 5 minutes into Skyrim Unbound before a crash. Some spider shot me with a web, and Skyrim immediately froze.
Yeah, I like Skyrim Unbound's options better than Live Another Life, but unfortunately I've been getting way more CTDs since installing Unbound so I'm thinking that's the culprit. Though I have added several others recently, but I don't think they conflict with anything else I have (Dwemerverse, Throwing Weapons, Enchanting Overhaul, Alchemy Redone, bottle textures).

It's unfortunate because I just had a really stable as hell mod build, but now I get crashes from stupid things like looting a Draugr, or reloading when I die.

Agents are GO! posted:

The description on that says "Mods I plan to add support for: The Dominion series". Does that refer to Fight Against the Thalmor I-IV, or something else?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Speaking of Fight Against the Thalmor, do the missing nav meshes cause any issues? Has anybody released a patch to fix them?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone recommend me a good player house mod where the entrance is like a cave or something built into the terrain? A lot of the housing mods, while look cool, just are too drat big and intrusive on the map.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Ryek's End

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Is there a lighting mod thats compatible with CoT and ELFX interiors for Hearthfire? I really want to use a Hearthfire house for once, but can't stand the horrible lighting situation in those houses.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Edit: nevermind I'm an idiot and deleted a master file by accident.

Edit 2: MO stores its own copies of loadorder.txt and plugins.txt in the profiles folders so you can just place those in the folder in AppData (at least that's where it was for me) so that any mods that refer to that folder use the right information.

AHungryRobot fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 4, 2014

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, I like Skyrim Unbound's options better than Live Another Life, but unfortunately I've been getting way more CTDs since installing Unbound so I'm thinking that's the culprit. Though I have added several others recently, but I don't think they conflict with anything else I have (Dwemerverse, Throwing Weapons, Enchanting Overhaul, Alchemy Redone, bottle textures).

It's unfortunate because I just had a really stable as hell mod build, but now I get crashes from stupid things like looting a Draugr, or reloading when I die.

The description on that says "Mods I plan to add support for: The Dominion series". Does that refer to Fight Against the Thalmor I-IV, or something else?

Yes. :)

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009
Which gameplay changing mods are recommended if I wanted Skyrim to be more like Morrowind (and Oblivion with Francesco's)?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
^^^Well if you want to wait a while, Skywind is remaking all of Morrowind in the Skyrim engine. But until then, you at least want Morrowloot 4E.

So I noticed aMidianBorn/CaBaL120 has a bunch of separate texture mods. Are those rolled in with the Book of Silence, or would I have to get all his separate stuff to use all the textures he makes? I'll pretty much install anything he does, so I'll download whatever I have to.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

Edit: nevermind I'm an idiot and deleted a master file by accident.

Edit 2: MO stores its own copies of loadorder.txt and plugins.txt in the profiles folders so you can just place those in the folder in AppData (at least that's where it was for me) so that any mods that refer to that folder use the right information.

loadorder.txt is a MO only thing(keeps track of the enabled mods and their order in the left panel), but plugins.txt gets temporarily replaced at runtime by MO, so moving it there won't really do anything(it also would be referencing files that aren't even there unless you're running MO anyway).

deathrat fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 4, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

deathrat posted:

loadorder.txt is a MO only thing(keeps track of the enabled mods and their order in the left panel), but plugins.txt gets temporarily replaced at runtime by MO, so moving it there won't really do anything(it also would be referencing files that aren't even there unless you're running MO anyway).

Then what was the GELO patcher using to tell what my load order was? Because it sure as hell wasn't the files in the MO folders. I mean, I found a loadorder.txt file in /AppData that couldn't have been from MO because it didn't match my actual load order at all.

deathrat
May 25, 2010

AHungryRobot posted:

Then what was the GELO patcher using to tell what my load order was? Because it sure as hell wasn't the files in the MO folders. I mean, I found a loadorder.txt file in /AppData that couldn't have been from MO because it didn't match my actual load order at all.

If you run the patcher through MO(You should be doing this if you aren't), it temporarily moves the files into the folder while it's being run(or while you run the game through MO for that matter). It doesn't actually touch those files until you're running an executable through MO though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Are there any mods to pay people to enchant stuff for you? My warrior needs something to sink his money into and I don't want to level enchanting, so this would fix both problems.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Deltasquid posted:

Are there any mods to pay people to enchant stuff for you? My warrior needs something to sink his money into and I don't want to level enchanting, so this would fix both problems.

Echoing this, but also one for blacksmithing where you don't have to find the resources yourself, but instead pay a ramped up cost to have the blacksmith do all the work.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Dongattack posted:

Echoing this, but also one for blacksmithing where you don't have to find the resources yourself, but instead pay a ramped up cost to have the blacksmith do all the work.

Strictly speaking you could buy the resources from the blacksmith himself if he has them. But yeah, that'd be nice as well.

EDIT: This mod seems to include enchanting as well. I'll try it out later today, see if it works like I want it to.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myopic
Mar 27, 2005

It is only logical to bang one's head

Dongattack posted:

There's this:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50546/

I have it installed but I've yet to actually use it. Worth a try. Haven't seen anything equivalent for enchanting though, unfortunately.

e: oh, that one has enchanting too. Too many mods.

• Locked thread