Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Putting the poison infuse on my now +10 Ricards has been the smartest thing I've done. Can't stop loving up people who live behind their shields.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Vil posted:

Counterpoint: soul level doesn't matter in DS2 like it did in DS1, while total souls gained does matter. In that regard, is there any big difference between "throw a shitload of souls at the flame" and "throw a shitload of souls at your stats"?
Upgrading the Pyromancy Flame is cheap. Like, really cheap. If you had the fire seeds you could get it to level 10 the moment you hit up the No-Man's Wharf. You can easily get it to a usable level without really impacting your SM at all.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Dying several times in a row to smelter demon, and then dying several times in a row to the iron king. What the gently caress has made me suck this horribly at the game all of a sudden.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

This is true, but it also means that the niche that pyromancy was specifically created to fill no longer needs to be filled. So then why even bother having a separate pyromancy mechanic at all? Just roll all its spells into Intelligence like in DeS.

I mean I guess it still gives you access to spells that don't have a stat requirement, but it just seems odd to me to suddenly introduce stats into a mechanic that was designed to be stat free.

To be fair, pyromancy was ridiculously good for low level characters before and never appreciably dropped off. There's no reason you should have a no effort thing that's as effective as sinking all your points into a different path. They had to change something about it, maybe they did it wrong but I appreciate that it's different.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

ulvir posted:

Dying several times in a row to smelter demon, and then dying several times in a row to the iron king. What the gently caress has made me suck this horribly at the game all of a sudden.

Take a short break and come back in half an hour or so. Always works for me.

Iron King is basically "Git gud at dodging - The boss"

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Someone just stunlocked me for 5 consecutive hits with an UGS, is that actually possible or did I run into someone who hacked his stats?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Kicking the Pursuer's rear end in NG+ was really cathartic after the nightmare he felt like in my first run.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Speaking of tails, are there any tail chop items in this game? I've been going after every tail I can and so far nothing. I know you get something from The Rotten's arms but that's all I've seen.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Speaking of tails, are there any tail chop items in this game? I've been going after every tail I can and so far nothing. I know you get something from The Rotten's arms but that's all I've seen.

You can chop tails, but it doesn't give you items, only makes bosses marginally easier.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Marginally. I've been stump slammed. :mad:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Pyromancy was dumb in Dark souls PvP. Soul level limited who you could fight but pyromancy didn't have anything to do with soul level aside from attunement slots. As such you could have someone invading low level players and one shotting them with great combustion as much as they pleased. Now that SM exists that isn't really a problem.

Ravenfood posted:

Lingering Flame is hilarious in Belfry Luna. Just trap off the top of the stairs of whatever level they're on, drop down to the bottom, and force people up until they hit the flames.

I have a love/hate relationship with lingering flame. Its a powerful spell that is unique to pyromancy. Being able to place your own land mines is useful in both PvE and PvP. It combos well with toxic mist and warmth to deny your opponent access to your healing. Plus it can just straight up kill a clumsy opponent. No other spell can really do what it does, which is why I still use it.

However it takes up two slots, which doesn't really feel necessary. It taking up extra slots wouldn't bother me if it didn't also have an ATROCIOUS cast time. Its easily one of the worst in the game. It takes so drat long to cast people can see me cast, start casting their own sun spear, and have it OHKO me before I even get a chance to dodge. So if you use it at the wrong time you're hosed. I still find it worth using in spite of those downsides, but it doesn't need both of them.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Domattee posted:

Someone just stunlocked me for 5 consecutive hits with an UGS, is that actually possible or did I run into someone who hacked his stats?

Well I can get three consecutive hits with about 22 endurance. Granted stamina growth tapers off like crazy past 20, but if he pumped the hell out of it I guess it's possible.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Project Drangleic SentinelPest Control is complete, and this is the result:

Set was much rarer than I had anticipated. Only got 2xHelm, 1xChest and 1xLeggings after having cleared out all 5 Sentinels until they stopped respawning. Fortunately, the Gloves aren't the most visible part of the set.
The Mace is the Archdrake Mace (Which is surprisingly effective in PvP with the Running attack and Power attack of the 2H stance), and the Pursuers Greatshield(Couldn't find any other shields that fit better).

Fashion Souls!

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Sydin posted:

Well I can get three consecutive hits with about 22 endurance. Granted stamina growth tapers off like crazy past 20, but if he pumped the hell out of it I guess it's possible.

I was wondering less about him swinging for 5 hits and more about it being fast enough to stun lock. Usually you can roll out after the second hit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think I'm going to create a 4th character

What is wrong with me?

:darksouls:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
WHY ARE BELLCOPS SO loving STUPID

I get summoned to a world of some jackass with a jester hat and two shields, he jerks me around, but its cool, I got a second bellcop! Nope. Second guy just follows him around the loving tower, taking damage from falling until the guy we invaded takes out a weapon and kills him. At one point I blocked them both in the same room. What the gently caress.

Then I get summoned to a new guy! A friend comes! Hes loving AFK!

God this is maddening.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've seen pubbies complain about the "lack of honour among bellbros". This apparently includes "attacking a guy two on one". :rolleyes:

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

ulvir posted:

I totally missed Smelter and still haven't gone back to find him, but iron king = stand to one side and chuck magic/arrows, roll to the other side when he breathes fire, chuck more magic/arrows, then roll back to the first side when he breathes fire again. If your ADP is high enough, you can even roll directly through his fire and take no damage.

I still can't figure out if this game's bosses are actually piss easier than DS1 or if it's just because I played the gently caress out of DS1 and DS2's bosses are basically almost all identical to one another, but I just hit Aerie and I'm having trouble even staying interested. DS1 is my favorite game of all time, too. Last night I just closed DS2 and started a new DS1 game :sigh:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Well I'm currently 21-0 with Dapper Dan the pugilist farming people in the grave of saints. I know I'm not all that great at PvP so I imagine that it's just everyone else who's irredeemably terrible at it.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ulvir posted:

Here's the trick I found to fighting OIK: Don't lock on unless you're a ranged (bow/crossbow/magic) character. Just run around. Makes it a lot easier to a) see his attacks and b) avoid that stupid hole (the most dangerous part of the fight). Just wait until he winds up his slow as gently caress attack, dodge, then attack his hands that he leaves on the ground for you to hit.

By not locking on I beat him solo on the third try (dumb luck can still screw you, especially if you get knocked off the arena) with a dual-caestus build.

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

WHY ARE BELLCOPS SO loving STUPID

I get summoned to a world of some jackass with a jester hat and two shields, he jerks me around, but its cool, I got a second bellcop! Nope. Second guy just follows him around the loving tower, taking damage from falling until the guy we invaded takes out a weapon and kills him. At one point I blocked them both in the same room. What the gently caress.

Then I get summoned to a new guy! A friend comes! Hes loving AFK!

God this is maddening.

I take my cracked red eyes to belfry luna or what ever the bastile side is, invade wearing full bell keepers armor, and play the winning sides till I can cheap kill every one.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Ancient dragon is one optional boss I won't do again gently caress that fight. Its boring and the reward is crap. NG+ is better than DS1 the moment I spawn I'm rushed by a bunch of dudes with birds and red phantom dick monsters.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nezkar posted:

I take my cracked red eyes to belfry luna or what ever the bastile side is, invade wearing full bell keepers armor, and play the winning sides till I can cheap kill every one.

Even more fun if you have a white ring :getin:

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Nezkar posted:

Take note, this is how you do Dark Souls. :golfclap:

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I hear there's a magic mace in the Bastille but I can't seem to find it. Where should I look?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I hear there's a magic mace in the Bastille but I can't seem to find it. Where should I look?

Huh, I'd be interested in that as well. I never found a magic mace in the Bastille. Found one in Huntsman's Copse though.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Maybe that's the one. How much more until the Copse from where I am in Bastille?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Maybe that's the one. How much more until the Copse from where I am in Bastille?

The Copse is on a different path than the Bastille. You can probably get there right now, if you've beaten Old Dragonrider that is.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

CrusherEAGLE posted:

The mace is in Huntsmans Copse, I think? Maybe the zone after that.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I'm trying to go in as blind as possible, so I'm just going to assume that at the end of the Bastille run there's a tough as gently caress boss, and then I travel back to Majula and pick the other path.

How many different 'paths' are there, out of curiosity?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
I started over because my double club caveman was getting a bit dull. Trying to make an archer gimmick work, but it's going real lovely. I've been sunbroing and hoping nobody notices that I don't actually do any damage. I've got a fully upgraded lightning longbow, but my Heide sword seems to work so much better. And neither one compares to blunt weapons.
Is there a way to make archers not suck? I figure I should be dumping my points into faith now because the physical damage scaling is terrible.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm trying to go in as blind as possible, so I'm just going to assume that at the end of the Bastille run there's a tough as gently caress boss, and then I travel back to Majula and pick the other path.

From Majula, 5, but one of those loops back to join up with another one so essentially 4.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Qwertee is currently offering Dark Souls themed shirts, 45 minutes to go, get 'em while they're hot! :frogsiren:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

CrusherEAGLE posted:

From Majula, four, though one of them leads to the same spot, so really three. However, no matter which path you take first, you can find a consumable that opens another path. Makes a grand total of five paths from Majula.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 1, 2014

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

BrainMeats posted:

I started over because my double club caveman was getting a bit dull. Trying to make an archer gimmick work, but it's going real lovely. I've been sunbroing and hoping nobody notices that I don't actually do any damage. I've got a fully upgraded lightning longbow, but my Heide sword seems to work so much better. And neither one compares to blunt weapons.
Is there a way to make archers not suck? I figure I should be dumping my points into faith now because the physical damage scaling is terrible.

If only there was some way to fire clubs from a bow, you'd be set.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Sydin posted:

This is true, but it also means that the niche that pyromancy was specifically created to fill no longer needs to be filled. So then why even bother having a separate pyromancy mechanic at all? Just roll all its spells into Intelligence like in DeS.

I mean I guess it still gives you access to spells that don't have a stat requirement, but it just seems odd to me to suddenly introduce stats into a mechanic that was designed to be stat free.

Counterpoint: the function of Pyromancy in Dark Souls 1 was broken and poorly designed. While it's fun to be able to do soul level 1 runs easily and simply, partially because of how powerful pyromancy is while being stat-independent, the fact that you can do so without difficulty is a bit absurd. Equally so with how PvP worked in that one. The slot that Pyromancy filled in 1 basically shouldn't have existed in the first place, as neat as it was.

Pyromancy's function now still isn't just "oh it's just More Different sorcery :geno:". It scales pretty much indiscriminately, which is a slot that's newly filled, and a counterpart to the other new form of magic, Hexes, which scale very specifically.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

nftyw posted:

If only there was some way to fire clubs from a bow, you'd be set.

Does the giant bow count as blunt trauma?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Talk to the level up lady and she'll tell you how you want to get four great souls. Think about it like Dark Souls 1 in reverse, there's four end points right now that lead to a single path later. There are a few ways to get to some of those end points but just think of it like four.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

BrainMeats posted:

The fact that it's lightning probably hurts it, the high physical damage + the A scaling would probably eke more damage out of the thing, and the best bow in the game has S scaling for dex so you probably want to build around that. Other than that, nope, bows are low risk low reward, except when they're high risk low reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redchaostry
Nov 27, 2008
Ran into my first hacker. Steam ID. He was in Belfry Sol. After 5 minutes of me and another bellbro attempting to hurt him I black crystal out. He was terrible. I am running a pure caster and he still failed to kill me.