Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I am hoping that Hindu group gets a statue of Ganesh installed, personally.

I mean, come on. He's the god of luck and entrepreneurship. Most pro-business mainstream deity in Hinduism. You'd think he would be exactly the symbol the Oklahoma GOP wants. Also, the elephant thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I mean, come on. He's the god of luck and entrepreneurship. Most pro-business mainstream deity in Hinduism. You'd think he would be exactly the symbol the Oklahoma GOP wants. Also, the elephant thing.
Slippery slope to "cow protection" laws - bad for the beef industry.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

Do these people need money or anything?

They will for a replacement when it's inevitably destroyed a day or two after installation.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sent that image to a friend of mine and his first response was "I want to get a picture of [daughter's name] sitting on that". That'd be such a :3: picture

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Seven day Adventists are forbidden from joining unions. Tops Ganesh right there

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

comes along bort posted:

They will for a replacement when it's inevitably destroyed a day or two after installation.

If the article is to be believed, they are making a mold and insuring the statue sufficiently to make two for each one destroyed.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

If the article is to be believed, they are making a mold and insuring the statue sufficiently to make two for each one destroyed.
It's like a hydra...of Satan.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

comes along bort posted:

In addition to the insurance, they're also making it out of bronze, which I gather is quite durable material for this purpose. Many will be injured upon Satan's horns, I expect.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Haha that's even better. Always have a spare in storage they can wheel out.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I know that statue will never be put up, but I would love it if each replacement statue was bigger than the last. In a month there'd be a Satan statue in Oklahoma bigger than Christ the Redeemer.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's like a hydra...of Satan.

Hail Hydra!

Hail Satan!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
US Politics May: Hail Satan!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

StandardVC10 posted:

If this Satan thing doesn't shake out (even though it's hilarious) I wonder if any Muslim groups would be willing to put up some iconography? That would be the only thing to compete with Satanism with respect to trolling value.

I would be super down with a slab with Arabic calligraphy on it. It is super pretty, and would absolutely improve the looks of any place it's put, so why not in front of a courthouse?

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Two Finger posted:

Having read through the last couple of pages, and the mentions of Waco and Ruby Ridge, I did a little bit of background reading. I also watched the video on the Bundy ranch situation, and I'm just being led back to one important question.

What in the absolute gently caress is wrong with your country?
More specifically, what in the gently caress is with these goddamned crazy lunatics who are actively looking for an excuse to start a war with the government?

We didn't think Reconstruction through and therefore allowed the traitor states to continue to elect their own government, which naturally lead to the end of Reconstruction when the South was able to claim each freedman as a resident while simultaneously loving them out of the vote which basically meant that literal traitors were able to enforce a majority in Congress despite not representing the masses they claimed to.

Since then, US Politics has been largely the same poo poo in a different era.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Biff Rockgroin posted:

I know that statue will never be put up, but I would love it if each replacement statue was bigger than the last. In a month there'd be a Satan statue in Oklahoma bigger than Christ the Redeemer.

I would love to see one on the scale of the King of Kings statue. When it was literally struck by lightning and burned down, we got a brief glimpse of what it might look like...

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

greatn posted:

Thomas is an uncle Tom. That congressman has read the book and loving knows what one is. He's not some loony idiot throwing around words he doesn't understand.

And mexicans who illegally enter the US are wetbacks, if we're agreeing to the same thing.

Separate note, I thought Baphomet was completely separate from the conventional Satan figure?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

catlord posted:

I would be super down with a slab with Arabic calligraphy on it. It is super pretty, and would absolutely improve the looks of any place it's put, so why not in front of a courthouse?

Pretty sure there's a version of the ten commandments in the Quran. A bunch of rage over what is essentially the same thing in another language would be great.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Spoilers Below posted:

I would love to see one on the scale of the King of Kings statue. When it was literally struck by lightning and burned down, we got a brief glimpse of what it might look like...

You would think that after god literally destroyed their first idol they would get the message... but nope.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

US Politics May: Hail Satan!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzwOXl7Qaww

Never gets old.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
How about a ten commandments monument based on the Wicked Bible?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How about Confucian pillars? Just a big fat monolith with a whole bunch of Chinese names on it? Make it the Jinshi from 1890 when Oklahoma became a state. Bunch of right wingers would love a bunch of Chinese in their capital, right? Plus it would be super easy to get a bunch of Chinese Nationalists behind it. All you need is one patriotic multi-billionaire and we could have one in every US capitol!

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

catlord posted:

I can't find the age on my phone, but back home I have a picture of the American flag recreated by using color and spacing on Arabic calligraphy of the pledge of allegiance. That would be best, because it is beautiful, patriotic, and would troll the utter hell out of the bigots

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cku497rURF8

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Even as an atheist, I would have no problem with a panoply of monuments depicting all sorts of religions is a public building. Not as a troll, but as a signifier and celebration of diversity.

ReidRansom posted:

Pretty sure there's a version of the ten commandments in the Quran. A bunch of rage over what is essentially the same thing in another language would be great.

It's always bemused me how belligerent Christianity, Islam and Judaism are towards one another given that they all worship the same god. A fun Thanksgiving day game is to try and convince your relatives that Allah and Jehovah are the same guy.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 1, 2014

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

Now I wanna put up an atheist "statue" that's just a sign in front of an empty space saying "This statue represents the existence of God" or some such.

Just a statue with 12 foot tall Neil deGrasse Tyson and Carl Sagan hi-fiving.

Lemmy throwing the horns is also acceptable.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

zoux posted:

Economics makes me feel dumb as hell. I struggled with it (and stats) in school in ways that I haven't in any other class and one time I tried to read Das Kapital on my own and I just couldn't grasp it :eng99:

If you remember, what translation were you using? It's never going to be Hemingway, but there's definitely a sliding scale of accessibility depending on who you go with.

e: I should really refresh before posting.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Ran across an Esquire article showing just how nutty Bundy and his supporters actually are.

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/bundy-ranch-uncensored

Among the highlights..

-The BLM is a secret arm of the UN.

-Harry Reid has a secret deal with the Chinese to seize the land and build a solar farm there.

-Bundy claims to be receiving messages from God, instructing him to demolish toll booths at Lake Meade and disarm the Park Service.

-The US government is secretly implanting microchips in people, and Bar-certified lawyers swear a secret oath to the British government.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

And mexicans who illegally enter the US are wetbacks, if we're agreeing to the same thing.

Separate note, I thought Baphomet was completely separate from the conventional Satan figure?

You realize the person in question is a black man who grew up in the South during the era of Jim Crow, right? It's in no way comparable to your hypothetical. What is illegitimate or inappropriate about what he's saying?

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

Oh yeah. The government literally used an air strike when black people tried this in 1985

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOVE

What the gently caress man, that's almost unbelievable.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

azflyboy posted:

-The US government is secretly implanting microchips in people, and Bar-certified lawyers swear a secret oath to the British government.

This one is amazing. When are the lawyers told about this? Is it after the bar exam? Does the guy in charge just kinda slide over and say "Oh, hey, by the way... you gotta swear loyalty to the Brits now. Don't tell nobody, though", and then the lawyers are just kinda like "Sure okay that sounds good to me".

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So apparently Seattle raised there minimum wage with stipulations, but even at the slowest rate, 2021 all employees in Seattle will see a minimum wage of $15, with some seeing it as early as 2017 and most by 2019...

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

greatn posted:

Thomas is an uncle Tom. That congressman has read the book and loving knows what one is. He's not some loony idiot throwing around words he doesn't understand.

"Fun" Fact: "Uncle Tom" in the sense that he used it doesn't come from the book, it comes from the minstrel show "adaptations" that missed the point of the book. Well, I say missed the point, when really they looked at the point and ran as fast as they could in the opposite direction.

Uncle Tom (the book character) was a martyr/Christ figure whose pacifistic non-resistant be-an-emblem-of-good approach was a positive - not without its own unfortunate implications, to be sure, but not the apologist-participant of the modern phrase.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

I can't find the age on my phone, but back home I have a picture of the American flag recreated by using color and spacing on Arabic calligraphy of the pledge of allegiance. That would be best, because it is beautiful, patriotic, and would troll the utter hell out of the bigots
drat, that (and Arabic calligraphy in general) really is pretty:

Wanna hang that flag :911:

zoux posted:

It's always bemused me how belligerent Christianity, Islam and Judaism are towards one another given that they all worship the same god. A fun Thanksgiving day game is to try and convince your relatives that Allah and Jehovah are the same guy.
Another fun one is telling them how Jesus is one of the most important prophets in Islam.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Isn't part of the Revelations in Islam (well, the Islamic equivalent of Revelations in Christianity. I'm too dumb and culturally illiterate to know a more eloquent/accurate way to phrase that) that both Mohammed and Jesus will come back and be bros and fight the antichrist together?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Zinkraptor posted:

This one is amazing. When are the lawyers told about this? Is it after the bar exam? Does the guy in charge just kinda slide over and say "Oh, hey, by the way... you gotta swear loyalty to the Brits now. Don't tell nobody, though", and then the lawyers are just kinda like "Sure okay that sounds good to me".

Someone should have cracked by now. Alternatively, if you swear an oath but are ignorant that you're swearing an oath, does it count?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Lote posted:

Someone should have cracked by now. Alternatively, if you swear an oath but are ignorant that you're swearing an oath, does it count?

Well you get to gently caress all your clients, so that's a good reason to keep quiet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Magres posted:

Isn't part of the Revelations in Islam (well, the Islamic equivalent of Revelations in Christianity. I'm too dumb and culturally illiterate to know a more eloquent/accurate way to phrase that) that both Mohammed and Jesus will come back and be bros and fight the antichrist together?

Jesus does at the very least, I think Mohammed just chills in Heaven.

quote:

Abu Hurayrah narrates that the Messenger of Allah said, "By Him in whose hands my soul rests! It is definitely close in that time that Isa, Son of Maryam [Jesus, son of Mary] descends amongst you as a just ruler. He will break the cross, kill the swine and abolish jaziya. And money will abound in such excess that no one will accept it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

CitizenKain posted:

Just a statue with 12 foot tall Neil deGrasse Tyson and Carl Sagan hi-fiving.

Lemmy throwing the horns is also acceptable.

Hah, trick question! Lemmy is God!

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Magres posted:

iirc, there's like an anti-antichrist called the Mahdi and then the false messiah (which wikipedia informs me is Masih ad-Dajjal). I'm not familiar enough with the Quran and hadith to know for sure, but I'd imagine that the Islamic version of the end of the world differs inasmuch as John's Revelation is pretty clearly about the Roman empire specifically, written in apocalyptic style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

computer parts posted:

Jesus does at the very least, I think Mohammed just chills in Heaven.

So he's going to ban Christianity, kill all the pigs in the world, and cause hyperinflation? :supaburn:

• Locked thread