Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonter
Oct 12, 2012
Which mace is it that gets good? IS it the one clerics start with, or are there others I should look out for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Would anyone know why my game stays constantly minimized now? I've restarted my computer, steam, verified the files and it still does it. When I start the game, it immediately minimizes and whenever I try and bring it back up, it just minimizes itself again. I can hear the main menu music and everything so the game is actually running.

I don't have any anti-virus stuff in the background or any new software that might be bugging it suddenly, so I am lost as to what it is.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I start regretting doing white phantom stuff. I have 31 tokens of fidelity but barely get summoned for Old Ones to get the last 4 sunlight medals because my soul memory is probably way too high at 1.6 Million. :(

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Is there anyway to disable the stupid as gently caress censorship on names?

There was a guy who summoned me, Thomas. Because his name had 'Ho' in the name, it said T**mas. :wtc:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Sydin posted:

It doesn't? My Greatsword +10 is pretty much stomping anything I come against. It's definitely better than making it Raw (460 +5 Raw vs 400 +10 Regular with ~+150 from scaling).

We're talking about greatsword class weapons, not the greatsword. On average most greatswords do ~400 with 40/40 dex/str, and most greatswords are quality scaling. By comparison, the A str scaling Mastodon Greatsword has ~460 damage with just 40 str.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

lonter posted:

Which mace is it that gets good? IS it the one clerics start with, or are there others I should look out for?

Clerics start with it and Leningrast sells it.

Its not anything insane on its own, if you were going strength build you'd be better off with a poopbat or a giant sword, if you were going dex you'd be better off with anything. (Well, it does hit really hard, but it has poo poo range too, and if you're putting points into Str or Dex other things will hit hard too)

But its fantastically good considering how little stats it requires, so its amazing for min/maxing spellcaster builds.

Randler posted:

I start regretting doing white phantom stuff. I have 31 tokens of fidelity but barely get summoned for Old Ones to get the last 4 sunlight medals because my soul memory is probably way too high at 1.6 Million. :(

So go to NG+? :cheeky:

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

lonter posted:

It's a mace in this game it's probably good. But ya, the mace the cleric starts with and the blacksmith sells are really good starting weapons. Might be replaced with better things later, but to start it's fantastic. I'm still using mine on my hexer. Hits for like 400+ with dark weapon while one handing.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Caik posted:

It's weird. Sometimes i can pull the first 2 one at a time, but sometimes all of them start attacking me while I'm busy killing the first or second one. No idea why they got pulled, i should be far enough away.

Never managed to pull the last 3 without all of them running at me.

I just slowly walk up to where the first guy gets aggro on me, run back a bit and no one interferes. Do the AI's mechanics change at all after NG?

Caik posted:

The guy before the fog wall is annoying, too. 12 respawns in NG++ and he will kill you if you make one mistake.

fuuuuck that, hes aggressive as hell too. I guess you could hop the ledge and cheese him out

Matlock Birthmark posted:

It's a mace in this game it's probably good. But ya, the mace the cleric starts with and the blacksmith sells are really good starting weapons. Might be replaced with better things later, but to start it's fantastic. I'm still using mine on my hexer. Hits for like 400+ with dark weapon while one handing.

I need to find a replacement but its served me well for pretty much the entire game. I should change it up but I can't let it go.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I figure it's been discussed but do the Blue Sentinels ever see any action? I've been in the cov a while now and no hits, now that I've found the blood dude I'm seriously considering switching teams.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

E-Tank posted:

There was a guy who summoned me, Thomas. Because his name had 'Ho' in the name, it said T**mas. :wtc:

In /DarkSouls/Game/NGWord there's banlists for each language. The Chinese one is blank so you can copy it over the English list. Now I know that brave knight who helped me kill the sentinels was actually named CuntDestroyer.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

The Protagonist posted:

I figure it's been discussed but do the Blue Sentinels ever see any action? I've been in the cov a while now and no hits, now that I've found the blood dude I'm seriously considering switching teams.

Apparently it gets better in NG+, but you can find targets with the blue orbs in NG if you just keep spamming them about 10-20 times.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Protagonist posted:

Yes but it takes time, its the covenant that sees the least action / takes the longest for the community to get going. (well, nobody remembers dragonbros even exist lol)

When everybody's beaten NG at least once and we're all running around on gimmick builds or NG+ runs where we've killed all the NPCs and we're feeling confident about invading more, then bluecops will see a ton more action.

Also people need to stay in way of the blue, but everybody goes bluecop and so there's no blues for the cops to assist. Some people need to keep the way of blue ring on!

You don't get penalized for changing teams, so feel free to go invasion happy for now and then switch back later.

:siren: If you don't like being invaded join the way of the blue and keep the ring on, that way bluecops will kill the invaders for you, and they'll actually have something to do :siren:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Protagonist posted:

Typically you won't see any action until you reach NG+ levels of Soul Memory, because that's when people unwittingly go on an NPC murder spree which pumps their sin up a lot (additionally, you need at least 10 sin to be invaded by a Blue Sentinel).

As for defending Way of Blue members, I would imagine that hardly anyone stays in that covenant.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

E-Tank posted:

Yeah but you have to beat the game without using bonfires first :cheeky:

no

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How do I open the chests in iron keep on the flaming platforms? Even stacking all my fire resist there's no way I can reach the chest and open it before burning to death. Someone said to look for water to douse the flames with but I'm not seeing anything like that. Specifically, I'm talking about the chest in the big room with all the archers.

I tried throwing some holy water urns on the burning platforms but it didn't do a drat thing.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The water they were talking about is from the pharros contraptions.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah but you have to beat the game without using bonfires first :cheeky:

no

On that note, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to write off the two illusory rings as well as lingering dragoncrest +2 and ring of thorns +2. My OCD is very unhappy about that.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Internet Kraken posted:

How do I open the chests in iron keep on the flaming platforms? Even stacking all my fire resist there's no way I can reach the chest and open it before burning to death. Someone said to look for water to douse the flames with but I'm not seeing anything like that. Specifically, I'm talking about the chest in the big room with all the archers.
I just did that five minutes ago, it's actually fairly easy. Use an Orange Burr, Flash Sweat and then roll into one of those water urns. Use a big lifegem before stepping into the flaming platforms and your regen will exactly cancel out what damage you take.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I tried throwing some holy water urns on the burning platforms but it didn't do a drat thing.

There are Pharros contraptions that create pools of water. It heals you and rolling around in it increases your fire resistance.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Should this game be played with KB&M our on a controller? What's easier?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

A controller.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steam please stop taking a poo poo while I'm trying to PVP, that's very inconsiderate of you.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 1, 2014

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

I'm using a ps3 controller and it's way better than mouse and keyboard.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Are the servers down or something? My internet connection is doing fine but I'm not able to go online in the game.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOzh1UOjG8g

Flame Swathe is such a fun spell you guys. :allears:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Doctor Zaius posted:

Are the servers down or something? My internet connection is doing fine but I'm not able to go online in the game.

It's Steam making GBS threads itself. It does this a lot these days.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Fun fact: If you lose connection right after "Duty fulfilled" you do not get your reward items. :smith:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Soul vortex is a lot lamer than it sounds. The chargeup is atrocious and it's so easy to just walk away from it.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

bef posted:

I just slowly walk up to where the first guy gets aggro on me, run back a bit and no one interferes. Do the AI's mechanics change at all after NG?

That's the only part where i noticed a change, because it was completely fine in NG. Slowly walking up to them only works for the first guy (and second maybe, i can't remember right now). The other 3 are impossible to pull solo. They also added one of the fat guys from the forest. All phantoms of course.

bef posted:

fuuuuck that, hes aggressive as hell too. I guess you could hop the ledge and cheese him out

Doesn't really work. If you jump over the ledge he runs back behind the walls. You can hit him with the magic greatsword and maybe other attacks that go through walls.
I died more to him than any other boss in the game. Attack him with magic and running away works, but drat it's annoying.

Caik fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 1, 2014

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Tracula posted:

It's Steam making GBS threads itself. It does this a lot these days.

Ugh, I'm trying to beat up dragon nerds here, dangit.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
So after a few attempts at pushing through the last bit of Huntsman's Copse on intensity 2 so that I could reach the shortcut and be able to fight the Skeleton Lords without facing super strong archers and phantom butcher things, imagine my surprise to find that using an aesthetic doesn't actually close that shortcut and I'd been completely wasting my time!

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Man Huntsmen cove is such a lovely area. Annoying paths, tedious enemies, bullshit bosses, everything's loving brown and boring. First area in the game I really don't wanna play through.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Also people need to stay in way of the blue, but everybody goes bluecop and so there's no blues for the cops to assist. Some people need to keep the way of blue ring on!

Yeah, I don't get why these are two different covenants. Way of the Blue should have been a single covenant for both, with Targray or whatever his name is giving you the ring if you fulfil the one co-op kill requirement. That way, there would be a lot more valid targets for Bluecops.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

...How long has a giant stone minotaur been grasping on to the Iron Keep? You can see it from the OIK's boss arena.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

It should be one covenant with two different rings, the Crestfallen one acting like it does now, and the Targray having the same function but also allowing you to be summoned, with a one assist requirement.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Man Huntsmen cove is such a lovely area. Annoying paths, tedious enemies, bullshit bosses, everything's loving brown and boring. First area in the game I really don't wanna play through.

Skeleton Lords are one of the easier solo bosses in the game that aren't trivial, like Covetous!! And the Chariot fight rules like crazy, you're crazy

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Cardiovorax posted:

I just did that five minutes ago, it's actually fairly easy. Use an Orange Burr, Flash Sweat and then roll into one of those water urns. Use a big lifegem before stepping into the flaming platforms and your regen will exactly cancel out what damage you take.

I'm pretty sure the buffs from burrs and flash sweat will overwrite each other. Likewise when trying this I tried using flash sweat and one of the heal-over-time miracles and you can only have one active.

Without any other stats or special equipment, flash sweat + water urns in conjunction with flasks/lifegems is all you need to be 100% comfortable in the heat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Domattee posted:

It should be one covenant with two different rings, the Crestfallen one acting like it does now, and the Targray having the same function but also allowing you to be summoned, with a one assist requirement.

Yes, that's exactly what I was saying.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Domattee posted:

Just make it one ring. Simply being in the covenant should summon a blue bro when you are invaded, provided there is a viable blue bro wearing the only ring the covenant offers. Want to be invaded without help? Join a different cov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes but it takes time, its the covenant that sees the least action / takes the longest for the community to get going. (well, nobody remembers dragonbros even exist lol)

When everybody's beaten NG at least once and we're all running around on gimmick builds or NG+ runs where we've killed all the NPCs and we're feeling confident about invading more, then bluecops will see a ton more action.

You don't get penalized for changing teams, so feel free to go invasion happy for now and then switch back later.

:siren: If you don't like being invaded join the way of the blue and keep the ring on, that way bluecops will kill the invaders for you, and they'll actually have something to do :siren:

Yeah nthing the whole 'it should be a single covenant' thing. I went and tried my cracked blue orbs at about every fire and got no hits, dropped that poo poo for Blood Bros immediately. Won my first duel! :feelsgood:

Now to see how well these first 11 cracked redeyes go. :getin: