Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm looking for music apps that work well in the car. Priority is a screen that stays on (I always charge the phone while driving) without changing the global auto-lock setting.

So far I've messed with "Listen" for a bit. It has a simple, elegant readout that looks like it could have been an alternative iOS7 lock screen. The gesture controls work great while driving. Actually navigating through your music library isn't so good, but I tend to just shuffle everything while I'm driving anyway.

Any other recommendations? "Listen" seems like it might do for me, but I'd be curious about something that showcased the album art more prominently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CarTunes. It stays unlocked the whole time, and just has a better interface than the stock Music app.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cartunes-music-player/id415408192?mt=8

Plus gestures and larger font/artwork. It's $5 now, and worth it, but I've seen it go for free twice (I got it for free myself).

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I like Cartunes a lot as well, got it for free also.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

IUG posted:

CarTunes. It stays unlocked the whole time, and just has a better interface than the stock Music app.

Plus gestures and larger font/artwork. It's $5 now, and worth it, but I've seen it go for free twice (I got it for free myself).

Agreed

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

FlashBangBob posted:

I use Paprika. While it is a recipe manager, it also has a grocery list that syncs between devices. My wife and I use it to solve your exact situation.

It is kinda pricey however.

We went with paprika, $5 is $5. Plus we tried grocery IQ before and for whatever reason I remember not liking it. So thanks everyone.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I'm looking for a good app for listening to audiobooks (mostly in mp3 or ogg formats). I don't really want to put them into iTunes because even though the stock music player plays them fine it's awkward to have them mixed up with my music; audiobook chapters show up at random in "play all music" and listening to actual music loses my place in the audiobook. Can anyone recommend anything? I only really need the most basic features (remember my place when I stop listening, ideally controllable with headphones remote), so it may not even need to be a dedicated audiobook app. Alternatively, are there clever things I can do with iTunes to fix the problems I'm having?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NRVNQSR posted:

I'm looking for a good app for listening to audiobooks (mostly in mp3 or ogg formats). I don't really want to put them into iTunes because even though the stock music player plays them fine it's awkward to have them mixed up with my music; audiobook chapters show up at random in "play all music" and listening to actual music loses my place in the audiobook. Can anyone recommend anything? I only really need the most basic features (remember my place when I stop listening, ideally controllable with headphones remote), so it may not even need to be a dedicated audiobook app. Alternatively, are there clever things I can do with iTunes to fix the problems I'm having?
It sounds like you might not have the audiobooks tagged properly in iTunes. They should not be showing up in the "Music" tab along with your other songs. If they are, you should be right clicking, going to "get info", and go to the "options" tab and selecting "media kind" as "audiobook".

Thereafter, the only way they're accessible in the iOS Music.app should be the "Audiobooks" tab (akin to Genres, Artists, Albums, etc). Now, not sure if this will affect its placekeeping, but should avoid the shuffle issue.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Thanks, that does work a lot better!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

NRVNQSR posted:

Thanks, that does work a lot better!
Glad to hear it.

Playing around with my audiobooks it doesn't seem like placeholding happens. A further suggestion might be to change the media kind to "podcast" and see how it fares in podcasts.app, which definitely does keep your place.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

IUG posted:

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I like Cartunes a lot as well, got it for free also.
Sounds like Cartunes is the one to keep my eye on. Thanks!

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

Glad to hear it.

Playing around with my audiobooks it doesn't seem like placeholding happens. A further suggestion might be to change the media kind to "podcast" and see how it fares in podcasts.app, which definitely does keep your place.

There are file settings within iTunes to remember playback position and to skip when shuffling.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Notability is free and you should absolutely get it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone know of any good garden planning apps? Ones less geared towards vegetables/fruit and more for shrubs, flowers etc. I see Garden Plan Pro and it looks like more of the former.

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
Is there a browser for ios that will hide the content of the web pages that I am looking at from the network administrator that runs the wifi? Sort of like a single app vpn.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
How exactly are these guys letting you Airplay any app from their iOS app to other people?

http://9to5mac.com/2014/05/01/slingshot-app-lets-you-share-your-ios-screen-with-others-on-any-platform/

My only thought is that their app acts as an Airplay server and you have to manually airplay mirror to it. But then that brings up app-store rules and makes me wonder if running an Airplay server in a background app is kosher.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

AirPlay mirroring is a base iOS feature on anything 4S or newer, it doesn't need app support these days.

Looks like they're doing what AirServer does and have figured out how to make an AirPlay client on any computer.

But for $10 a month? gently caress that. AirServer is a $15 one time.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

xzzy posted:

AirPlay mirroring is a base iOS feature on anything 4S or newer, it doesn't need app support these days.

Looks like they're doing what AirServer does and have figured out how to make an AirPlay client on any computer.

But for $10 a month? gently caress that. AirServer is a $15 one time.

They are doing something else besides just Airplay from iOS to Mac. That's what Reflector does and it doesn't require an iOS app.

No, I think they must be firing up an Airplay receiver on the phone, then you airplay mirror (with the airplay menu) to the APP. And then it probably encodes that video and sends it over the network connection back to their server so everyone can see it.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Notability is free and you should absolutely get it.

This is worth it at 10$. Get this poo poo and try it out. I've been paperless at work (half my job is paper pushing) for two years now solely because of Notability.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

echobucket posted:

They are doing something else besides just Airplay from iOS to Mac. That's what Reflector does and it doesn't require an iOS app.

No, I think they must be firing up an Airplay receiver on the phone, then you airplay mirror (with the airplay menu) to the APP. And then it probably encodes that video and sends it over the network connection back to their server so everyone can see it.
That's probably exactly what they're doing. How is that breaking the iOS app policy?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Zigmidge posted:

This is worth it at 10$. Get this poo poo and try it out. I've been paperless at work (half my job is paper pushing) for two years now solely because of Notability.

Curious: what do you use it for?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Lexicon posted:

Curious: what do you use it for?

A lot of border crossing paperwork. Compliance, brokerage/bond, etc. lots and lots of PDFs. There are other apps that can do this too but search for my older posts for why I'd rather use this than Evernote.

I also use it heavily as my notepad. All those fancy lists, calendars and todo apps don't work for me because typing isn't as effective for my memory as handwriting. I won't even remember to check my todo itself unless I wrote it.

My only complaint is without searchable tags, after two years, there's a lot of unsearchable stuff in there just because it's written instead of typed.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Zigmidge posted:

A lot of border crossing paperwork. Compliance, brokerage/bond, etc. lots and lots of PDFs. There are other apps that can do this too but search for my older posts for why I'd rather use this than Evernote.

I also use it heavily as my notepad. All those fancy lists, calendars and todo apps don't work for me because typing isn't as effective for my memory as handwriting. I won't even remember to check my todo itself unless I wrote it.

My only complaint is without searchable tags, after two years, there's a lot of unsearchable stuff in there just because it's written instead of typed.

Do you use a stylus or just your fingers? If so what stylus?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Don't write with your finger. Steve Jobs was right about a lot of things but his stylus-free philosophy is one of the dumbest things he's ever held when it comes to interfaces.

Right now the best stylus design on the market, in my opinion, is the conductive fiber mesh tip. It offers the best balance between cost and function. The fiber gives you a frictionless pen that feels like heaven compared to the classic rubber tip. It's still a 5-10mm diameter tip because the idevice design requires that for its native touch input so it isn't as accurate as writing with a real pen but, combined with the magnifier utility found in most handwriting apps, it's something you quickly adjust to.

A lot of people swear by the adonit jot series but I absolutely did not like both writing with the disc and the care/management needed to protect the disc. I am not a rich banking executive, I don't "do" pens with caps. Besides, with what's coming in the stylus world, their design is obsolete now.

I'm really excited about it, too. The precision tip design that a few companies (LynkTek, Adonit, JoyFactory) have started releasing in the last year all look great. Right now the tech is too expensive for me and I find the featuresets of each of those offerings are missing one or two things - usb recharging most importantly. Adonit's next version should have the features I want and I look forward to it.

That is too many words about fake fingertips.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zigmidge posted:

Don't write with your finger. Steve Jobs was right about a lot of things but his stylus-free philosophy is one of the dumbest things he's ever held when it comes to interfaces.
Well as far as general use, do you use your stylus for anything other than writing or drawing? And Apple continues to have random stylus patents so who knows what'll happen down the line.

Anyway as far as the current stuff I'm in agreement with you, the conductive mesh ones are decent enough and are pretty cheap and ubiquitous by now I imagine. Otherwise I'm waiting on the newer fancy stuff too, curious if Adonit's next one is the one they're doing for Adobe and/or if they'll have their own branded version.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I agree that having a stylus is nice for something like the iPad if you're wanting to write and draw, but a phone screen is really too small to manage any of that, and designing a phone that requires the use of a stylus is probably was Jobs was against.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I get what you guys are trying to say but nope, he stood firm on his stance with everything touchscreen (he later reiterates what he said about the iphone in regards to the ipad and competitor's touchscreens in general). He was straight up wrong and it was a pretty shortsighted thing to say. I'm glad Apple is doing a 180 on it lately. My iPad was nothing but a toy before Notability and good stylus design.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
He said that because old touchscreens were resistive, which could use styluses (and they were often necessary) but they pretty much sucked more than a capacitative touch screen in every other conceivable way.

And it's silly to argue that it's wrong or shortsighted just because it fills your niche. A vast majority of people get plenty of usage out of their iPads without every touching a stylus.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Does anyone here use an alarm clock app that makes you solve some kind of puzzle before it turns off?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Who doesn't love whipping out a stylus on the bus? On the couch at home? Sometimes my girlfriend and I are watching TV and we get frisky and actually use the stylus during foreplay.

Too bad Nintendo has the vibrating stylus patent locked down already.

What I'm saying is that Jobs was wrong. I see styluses used on iPads every day at work. Some "power users" even dual-wield them. One dude had three styluses (styli?) taped with medical tape to three different fingers on his right hand.

It's just so damned obvious.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I agree that having a stylus is nice for something like the iPad if you're wanting to write and draw, but a phone screen is really too small to manage any of that, and designing a phone that requires the use of a stylus is probably was Jobs was against.
Yeah the requirement was the issue, stylus (or mouse) based UIs tend to suck for finger use regardless of screen hardware. iOS made the finger the input requirement and forced all interfaces to be finger friendly as a result. And because the larger target sizes they happen to work fine with styluses for the most part. Course without some type of real support we're still just working with workarounds.

As for Jobs' hard stance,

Tim Cook posted:

He would flip on something so fast that you would forget that he was the one taking the 180 degree polar [opposite] position the day before

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So, I'm looking to not give a poo poo about computers much anymore. I have a Windows desktop (Windows 7), an iPad, an iPhone, a Macbook Air, and a Windows laptop (which I'm getting rid of in a bit, Windows 8.1 because I'm a retard).

I want to have cloud service where I can save all my documents/pictures to the same service (OneDrive/Skydrive is out, it wayyyy hosed up for me), accessible on all platforms. Dropbox is apparently the frontrunner? I don't give a poo poo I just want complete reliability with Microsoft Word documents because OneDrive hosed me. It also didn't save any backups/version histories. It was way cool.

In addition, I'd like a password service thang because apparently that's the cool poo poo to do nowadays. Obviously I have to get it on a bunch of different platforms so I'd prefer to have some universally compatible version.

Money's not a problem I'm cool with dropping way bux on this.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Any way to turn off the like notifications on the Facebook App? Googled but can't see any answers for this.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

So, I'm looking to not give a poo poo about computers much anymore. I have a Windows desktop (Windows 7), an iPad, an iPhone, a Macbook Air, and a Windows laptop (which I'm getting rid of in a bit, Windows 8.1 because I'm a retard).

I want to have cloud service where I can save all my documents/pictures to the same service (OneDrive/Skydrive is out, it wayyyy hosed up for me), accessible on all platforms. Dropbox is apparently the frontrunner? I don't give a poo poo I just want complete reliability with Microsoft Word documents because OneDrive hosed me. It also didn't save any backups/version histories. It was way cool.

In addition, I'd like a password service thang because apparently that's the cool poo poo to do nowadays. Obviously I have to get it on a bunch of different platforms so I'd prefer to have some universally compatible version.

Money's not a problem I'm cool with dropping way bux on this.

If money isn't a concern, Dropbox and 1Password would probably be the best bet. Dropbox has versioning and deleted items through the website, and is supported by drat near everyone (Including 1Password).
1Password has an app for nearly every platform, and even if it doesn't you can just open the html file on dropbox and use it that way.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Does anyone know if there's a remote desktop/tunneling app for iOS that supports held inputs? I currently use Splashtop 1.0 for general purposes and occasional gaming and am considering getting a BT keyboard for it, but the iOS virtual keyboard doesn't support things like holding "W" translating into forward movement in a game and Google searches indicate that Splashtop either won't or can't code that functionality into their app (regardless of whether one uses a BT keyboard or not).

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
I just got a new iPhone and I'm a bit lost. I mostly use google talk to keep up with people, but I was trying out the hangouts app for iOS and I can't seem to find a way to have the tray notification pop up without the phone vibrating. What apps do goons mostly use for instant messaging nowadays?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Chocolate Donuts posted:

I just got a new iPhone and I'm a bit lost. I mostly use google talk to keep up with people, but I was trying out the hangouts app for iOS and I can't seem to find a way to have the tray notification pop up without the phone vibrating. What apps do goons mostly use for instant messaging nowadays?

imessage, trillian rarely.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Google hangouts and whatsapp

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Certain friends of mine made me do groupme. Otherwise iMessage, Facebook messenger, and Snapchat are my mains.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

A PC Game posted:

Is there a browser for ios that will hide the content of the web pages that I am looking at from the network administrator that runs the wifi? Sort of like a single app vpn.

1.) run your own VPN server from home and use the native iOS VPN service to connect.

Or

2.) use the openvpn app and a random VPN from vpngate.

Or

3.) onion browser, but it's like pulling teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

ZShakespeare posted:

1.) run your own VPN server from home and use the native iOS VPN service to connect.

Or

2.) use the openvpn app and a random VPN from vpngate.

Or

3.) onion browser, but it's like pulling teeth.

Any router that runs DDWRT or Tomato can probably run OpenVPN (some routers with low RAM might not have OpenVPN installed by default though), so there's another option. I much prefer it to using a third-party VPN host where your security might be at issue.

• Locked thread