Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, not sure I like NG+. Not so much the PVE side of it but every single person I fight is Defender Greatsword Havel, Lion's Hexer or Straid Mage. It's so boring. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
They're the new giantdads.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Just make it one ring. Simply being in the covenant should summon a blue bro when you are invaded, provided there is a viable blue bro wearing the only ring the covenant offers. Want to be invaded without help? Join a different cov.

There should be some downside to easy moding every invader, and sacrificing a ring slot seems adequate.

e: Apparently you can be summoned for bellbros form the FoFG

Domattee fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 1, 2014

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the point of the "Enchanted" upgrade path? It seems like "Magic" but with worse scaling.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I watched a host in the belltower kill himself with whatever it is that makes you take damage when you cast hexes. Was he just not paying attention, or was it death before dishonor? Luckily that doesn't matter to whoever is handing out these chunks, and thus it doesn't matter to me.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What's the point of the "Enchanted" upgrade path? It seems like "Magic" but with worse scaling.

It does physical damage instead of magic damage, it's a way to get some physical damage on your caster. It's kind of weak but if you need something to get around elemental resists, there it is.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Nearly every melee character I've seen online has been using either a greatsword or this dumb twirly spear. They rely on killing you via stunlock. The spear in particular seems to be favored by the sentinels. Its really easy to dodge but if there's even a small amount of lag they'll hit you with the bullshit stunlock combo from across the room. Oh and everyone wears the Fraam armour for whatever reason.

I'm surprised by how few shields I've seen.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
And there I was, thinking my Defender Sword + King armor was clever and cool.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

When am I supposed to attack again after the guard break for the riposte? I can't work out what the timing is.

e: At 1.4 mil soul memory pvp is still rare and far between for bellbros. There are red summon signs and dragon signs everywhere though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 1, 2014

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

RBA Starblade posted:

When am I supposed to attack again after the guard break for the riposte? I can't work out what the timing is.

When the ripostee falls flat on their rear end. You have a huge window, just don't attack them immediately after the riposte, let them fall to the floor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Crusher posted:

When the ripostee falls flat on their rear end. You have a huge window, just don't attack them immediately after the riposte, let them fall to the floor.

Thanks, I'll wait and see about that then. I guess I can't do it to humanoid npcs? They just stagger, but never fall over.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks, I'll wait and see about that then. I guess I can't do it to humanoid npcs? They just stagger, but never fall over.

The first and last time I performed a riposte was against the Forest of Fallen Giants hollows. After batting aside an attack with a shield or whatever, they eventually did fall over on their butt and you perform a dramatic stab through their chest.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

The Crusher posted:

The first and last time I performed a riposte was against the Forest of Fallen Giants hollows. After batting aside an attack with a shield or whatever, they eventually did fall over on their butt and you perform a dramatic stab through their chest.

Parrying (L2/LT) is different from guard breaking (forward+R1/RB).

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Umberger posted:

Parrying (L2/LT) is different from guard breaking (forward+R1/RB).

Oh, well guard breaking only works against enemies with a raised shield. So as far as NPCs are concerned, I think this only is really effective against spear weilding guys. But even then I don't think I've ever guard broken an NPC.

With no shield raised they just stagger a bit with no real downside.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Welp, just fought a guy who took 5 great resonant souls to the face without taking damage.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

An hour and I only did five bell invasions. Blah. When should I expect it to pick up again? Soul memory 2 million?

The Crusher posted:

Oh, well guard breaking only works against enemies with a raised shield. So as far as NPCs are concerned, I think this only is really effective against spear weilding guys. But even then I don't think I've ever guard broken an NPC.

With no shield raised they just stagger a bit with no real downside.

That would explain it then, thanks. I've just been doing it to everything.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

An hour and I only did five bell invasions. Blah. When should I expect it to pick up again? Soul memory 2 million?

NG+, I expect.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Man, not sure I like NG+. Not so much the PVE side of it but every single person I fight is Defender Greatsword Havel, Lion's Hexer or Straid Mage. It's so boring. :saddowns:

It gets worse. At 4M SM the only times I get called as a bellbro is someone (usually multiple people) camping the spawn with Fire/Darkstorm or throwing Lightning Bolts at the top of the ladder.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
It looks like the knights are learning some new skills.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

There's two kinds of ripostes. One is if you parry an attack, the enemy staggers back and falls on their rear end. You can then give them a coup-de-grace while they're on the ground.

The other is after a guard break (knock away shield), or IMMEDIATELY after parrying an attack. Get right up in their grill while they're still standing, and hit attack, and you should basically backstab them from the front.

The trick to the guard break one is that when you knock the person's shield away, they also stagger backwards out of the range of the riposte, so if you're immediately following up with an attack you'll just do a normal swing. You need to close that itty-bitty bit of distance before attacking to get the actual riposte.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

For guard breaks, just stop your combo. If you can move again, you're fine for the punish. For parries, excepting a couple of unique parry animations, you have to wait until they fall on their rear end.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Boy I sure love it when multiplayer desync makes both me and the guy I'm fighting die at the same time because we're clearly both seeing very different things.

e: Damnit, I keep dying because the people I fight take damage way after my attacks actually connect.

Doctor Zaius fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 2, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

WirelessPillow posted:

:D

Speaking of which, anybody tried sniper-heavy/arrows&bolts playthroughs? Any fun?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

Duke's Dear Freja - Picturing a rat that uses a halberd and jumps really high up. This may or may not be derived from FFIX memories.
This was from a while back, but in turn, I am now imagining a giant regular DS rat with a halberd in its mouth and Sif's moves. The Royal Rat... Ombudsman.
As a fair and just ruler, OF COURSE the Rat King would have an agent with special discretionary powers to address the concerns of rat citizens.

I'm not all the way caught up on the thread, but the misreadings seem to have gone down over time, and it saddens me to not see as many posts going

quote:

Started as Depraved with Bonfire Aesthetics, cleared Heidi's Tower of Flame and now I'm in Huntsman's Corpse...
Of course this just makes me want an actual Depraved starting class. Basically a Deprived + sack + butcher knife, I imagine.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks everyone, I knew about parries and ripostes, but didn't quite get how the guard break worked.

Meanwhile, I still cannot summon in the shaded forest or shrine of winter. Is it impossible for everyone else? I haven't burned an effigy and I can summon everywhere else.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks everyone, I knew about parries and ripostes, but didn't quite get how the guard break worked.

Meanwhile, I still cannot summon in the shaded forest or shrine of winter. Is it impossible for everyone else? I haven't burned an effigy and I can summon everywhere else.

The foggy forest you can. Shrine of winter you probably can't because it's such a short area. You can check where you can summon by equipping your white sign stone and seeing if it is grayed out or not.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

WirelessPillow posted:

I've seen royal swordsmen and hollow infantry do this too. I love this glitch a lot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

turtlecrunch posted:

The foggy forest you can. Shrine of winter you probably can't because it's such a short area. You can check where you can summon by equipping your white sign stone and seeing if it is grayed out or not.

Yeah I just walked through and got past already. I was just concerned since it was two zones so far I couldn't.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so close :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aBLgFF8aRg

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

WirelessPillow posted:

:lol: holy poo poo that's amazing.

Its a shame you can't get those horse heads as a helmet though.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Can someone give me the skinny on ADP? I've seen people claim it's absolutely necessary, and others say it's the new resistance stat.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

Winged Orpheus posted:

Can someone give me the skinny on ADP? I've seen people claim it's absolutely necessary, and others say it's the new resistance stat.

Without getting into the technicalities, ADP raises your agility and the more agility you have, the better. Agility gives you additional invincibility frames on dodge rolls and makes actions faster (like drinking estus).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Winged Orpheus posted:

It speeds up rolling, raising your shield and using items. It also gives you more invulnerability frames in your rolls.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah its kinda frustrating. Whenever I see really stupid "secret door ahead" where there isn't one, I wish I could downvote it to keep the newbies from getting confused. Lazy trolling.

My experience as a Dark Souls newbie hasn't been that bad. I'm guessing maybe 75% of illusory wall messages have been real. The ones that are fake usually have "Liar ahead" right in front of them. I think being limited to 10 messages makes people think twice about putting down throwaways that won't get upvotes, since they've gone back to the Demon's Souls mechanic of giving out heals for votes. I'm constantly pruning my message list and deciding if it's worth replacing one or not.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
What do you guys recommend for breaking myself away from the Drangleic Armor set? I really wanna play fashion souls but I see all those red numbers and they scare me. Why did From make one set of armor completely OP (for poise/strength builds especially) and give it to you so early in the game? I like the aesthetics of the Elite Knight outfit (feels much more appropriate for sunbroing) but the stats fall ridiculously short, even after a few upgrades.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

DrNutt posted:

What do you guys recommend for breaking myself away from the Drangleic Armor set? I really wanna play fashion souls but I see all those red numbers and they scare me. Why did From make one set of armor completely OP (for poise/strength builds especially) and give it to you so early in the game? I like the aesthetics of the Elite Knight outfit (feels much more appropriate for sunbroing) but the stats fall ridiculously short, even after a few upgrades.

The Vengarl armor set is also really good if you want to go for a barbarian look. Not bad stats either. You'll have to beat Brightstone Cove if you want to get the helmet, though.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

WirelessPillow posted:

He's riding an invisible horse!

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
When you play Fashion Souls you pay the price.

Seriously, giving up certain stats to look a certain way is how it goes. My caster wears random bits, when I know there are better things to be wearing.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

FutonForensic posted:

The Vengarl armor set is also really good if you want to go for a barbarian look. Not bad stats either. You'll have to beat Brightstone Cove if you want to get the helmet, though.

No you don't, it's the other way around. You get the helmet early and the rest at the end of Brightstone Cove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Is there a trick to initializing bonfire ascetics? I burned one at heidi's tower, its gone now and when I go to travel there it says 2 instead of 1, but the mobs are not harder, the mace guy didn't respawn and the bosses are still dead. I've tried traveling away to no avail