Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So after getting tired of constantly having to spend 100 piety to straighten up the many, many unlanded male relatives that keep going decadent, I may have snapped a little.

I arrested literally every single male dynasty member in my realm (landed or unlanded). It came to over 200 guys. Then I banished all the landed ones since it was quicker than stripping their titles (plus it gave me all their money), and executed the rest. Adults, children, everyone was caught in the purge. Then I used all the money from banishing to spam assassinations on the dynasty members that managed to flee when I tried to have them arrested, as well as the ones I banished. I wish I'd gotten a screenshot of how much tyranny and negative piety I'd built up, but when I ran out of money I unpaused the game and was assassinated about 30 times by pretty much every ruler around me. Tyranny was well over -10000 with all my (surviving) vassals, piety was at about -6000ish. There are now 8 living male members of my dynasty, including the two brothers and son of my current ruler. The other 4 were the only ones left when I ran out of money for assassinations.

So yeah, important tip: if you're planning on pruning your family tree, it's best to start early. Otherwise it makes a bit of a mess.

On a related note, wasn't "North Korea" mode supposed to be nerfed? This is my current ruler's military (I am planning to hand the titles back out to non-dynasty courtiers, but I wanted to get a picture of it before I did that):

The vassals I still have hate me for having such an oversized demense, of course, but still, that's a LOT of troops, and my income is about 75 gold a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

This is usually because characters you unland and their courtiers tend to flee to another court, and if there are no/few rulers of the same religion/culture as the fleeing character, they instead go to one based on... something. I don't know, but they tend to crop up in Ireland in my games.

That reminds me of something that happened in my Persian Zoroastrian game: after roughly a century of losing to hindus, the Karens, and other Sunnis, the entire Saffarid dynasty was reduced to holding a mosque in western Persia.

When I finally rolled in there as Shah of Shahs to fully control all of Persia, I saw that the last Saffarid ruler had a court of 81 characters. Apparently whenever a Saffarid realm was conquered, the dynasty members would always flee to another dynast's court, which led to nearly every Saffarid in existence living in one single court.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

On a related note, wasn't "North Korea" mode supposed to be nerfed? This is my current ruler's military (I am planning to hand the titles back out to non-dynasty courtiers, but I wanted to get a picture of it before I did that):

The vassals I still have hate me for having such an oversized demense, of course, but still, that's a LOT of troops, and my income is about 75 gold a month.

What's your primary title?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Spiderfist Island posted:

That reminds me of something that happened in my Persian Zoroastrian game: after roughly a century of losing to hindus, the Karens, and other Sunnis, the entire Saffarid dynasty was reduced to holding a mosque in western Persia.

When I finally rolled in there as Shah of Shahs to fully control all of Persia, I saw that the last Saffarid ruler had a court of 81 characters. Apparently whenever a Saffarid realm was conquered, the dynasty members would always flee to another dynast's court, which led to nearly every Saffarid in existence living in one single court.

This is like Skyrim, where if the Stormcloaks force out the Imperial-backed rulers they all wind up stuffed in the basement of the Solitude castle.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Darkrenown posted:

You still get 10 tyranny if it wasn't you who asked them to shape up and got refused. Or do you mean something other than that?

Huh. I swear I got a thing saying that the offender could be imprisoned for free by any member of the dynasty at least once before. Maybe I was imagining things?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've had that too, but I don't know what triggers it. I think it pops up only for people who are your direct vassals - anyone in the Dynasty can tell someone else to shape up, but only their direct liege gets the free imprisonment if they refuse.

It should really work so that anyone above them can imprison them for free, since most of the time it seems like my vassals won't imprison decadent relatives, even if they're total nobodies.

DStecks posted:

What's your primary title?

Empire of Mali - reloading my save seems to have fixed it down to expected levels though. So if you want to cheat with a massive Demense, just never quit the game.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

You still get 10 tyranny if it wasn't you who asked them to shape up and got refused. Or do you mean something other than that?

I frequently have family members who I ask to straighten up become decadent again. I then get a tyranny penalty when I imprison them.

I also often have family members show up as decadent all the sudden without any opportunity to ask them to straighten up, either. I also get a tyranny penalty for acting against them.

I don't know if it's bugged or supposed to make managing decadence annoying as gently caress with constant -10s.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

So yeah, important tip: if you're planning on pruning your family tree, it's best to start early. Otherwise it makes a bit of a mess.

Yeah, you should still avoid to land your dynasty as a Muslim. It is just not as bad as it was before, where every adult male family member should be in prison, the ruler you play or your heir.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

catlord posted:

I used to use VIET, but when SoA came out I stopped, but now I want a mod that adds poo poo, like religions and cultures, and will also convert over to EU4, hopefully without changing too many mechanics from vanilla, and I'm not certain if I should go for VIET/HIP or what.

It sounds like you should be using the Historical Project w/ VIET then because that's exactly what HIP+VIET does! There are 2 VIET dev diaries on the forums right now talking about a ton of new events/decisions they're adding for the Fraticelli and some Silk Road people. In the prior VIET update they added a bunch of stuff for the Britons, so you can form Britannia the Kingdom if you're a Breton, Welshman, Cumbrian, or Cornishman who owns Wales+Brittany+England (this will abolish all three of those titles), and then reform the knights of the round table and do other cool poo poo that relates to the Britons.

Off the top of my head there is a whole new catholic heresy called Dulcinian(sp) which lets catholic lords raid neighbors who are deemed 'too wealthy', but you cannot keep much of the wealth for yourself least you get slammed with revolts (in one game all of France went Dulcinian and was rocked with revolts after their pious, charitable king died and his greedy paranoid son took over). There's also new stuff relating to the West and East Africans, and a bunch of Near East cultures whose names I cannot recall. And a lot more, really, but the point is HIP+VIET seems like its what you're looking for, vanilla with a little fine-tuning and extra content.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 1, 2014

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
So is multiplayer working yet for anyone? And if it is, how do you get it working?

I'm done with finals and a buddy and I really want to play together, but haven't been able to since Rajas hit. We tried last week on Thursday evening also and it still didn't seem to work. Everything went smoothly before Rajas. :(

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

pwnyXpress posted:

So is multiplayer working yet for anyone? And if it is, how do you get it working?

I'm done with finals and a buddy and I really want to play together, but haven't been able to since Rajas hit. We tried last week on Thursday evening also and it still didn't seem to work. Everything went smoothly before Rajas. :(

The latest patch fixed the stability issues, as I understand.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

The latest patch fixed the stability issues, as I understand.

We haven't been able to even connect. I guess we'll give it a try again.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Empire of Mali - reloading my save seems to have fixed it down to expected levels though. So if you want to cheat with a massive Demense, just never quit the game.

Aha. I believe what's going on is that the North Korea nerf had to do with limiting levies from holdings outside the de jure lands of your title, and the Empire of Mali consists only of the Kingdom of Mali, so you won't be eating the same penalties an emperor of Hispania would... at least I think that's what's happening.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It should reset properly at the end of the month. I had a great game as Nantes where I did a prepared invasion of France, and for a couple of weeks could raise 30k troops. As soon as the 1st rolled around, it dropped to about 3k.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Off the top of my head there is a whole new catholic heresy called Dulcinian(sp) which lets catholic lords raid neighbors who are deemed 'too wealthy', but you cannot keep much of the wealth for yourself least you get slammed with revolts (in one game all of France went Dulcinian and was rocked with revolts after their pious, charitable king died and his greedy paranoid son took over). There's also new stuff relating to the West and East Africans, and a bunch of Near East cultures whose names I cannot recall. And a lot more, really, but the point is HIP+VIET seems like its what you're looking for, vanilla with a little fine-tuning and extra content.

Oh, nice. I remember those dudes getting a mention in Name of the Rose, and from what it sounds like, a raiding mechanic is perfect for them.

e. maybe also a mechanic where you can do a Great Blot type event with captured clergy.

e2. Darkrenown, have them put in an event for improving learning where William of Baskerville shows up to teach you about deductive reasoning.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 2, 2014

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007

pwnyXpress posted:

We haven't been able to even connect. I guess we'll give it a try again.

So I think I just realized something. I've edited my songs.txt, might that prevent us from playing multiplayer because our songs.txt files don't match?

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I really don't know what happened, but the save for my Georgia game just reverted back about twenty five years, same with the autosaves. In that time I managed to convert myself and all my vassals count and above to Sunni Islam, then singlehandedly beat the Byzantine Empire with an army the third the size of their own in an invasion of Armenia. At first I thought maybe I wasn't signed into Steam, but nope.

edit: oh duh, it was a mod conflict.

Inside Outside fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 2, 2014

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
I started a Mongol game with the intent to eventually convert over to Jainism and unite India. I've already taken a fair chunk of India itself, but the only religious conversion option I have listed is Sunni. Do I need to move my capital or have Jain territory specifically in my demesne? What's the trigger to get that option?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zhaan posted:

I started a Mongol game with the intent to eventually convert over to Jainism and unite India. I've already taken a fair chunk of India itself, but the only religious conversion option I have listed is Sunni. Do I need to move my capital or have Jain territory specifically in my demesne? What's the trigger to get that option?

Culture and Religion conversion decisions only check capital culture/religion.

EDIT: Couldn't you also take a Jain concubine and convert like that? It would be cheaper, too. (Also the game is really, really bad at knowing how to handle a character with many wives converting to a monogamous culture.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I know it's useful to deliberately seed a merchant republic or two in your land but is it useful to deliberately seed a theocracy? I created one in my most recent Norse game but it didn't seem to accomplish much beyond "be Norse."

edit: Oh god my lunatic king just literally summoned and then killed Cthulhu. Best game ever.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 2, 2014

Rhodry
Mar 4, 2001

Excuse me. Did somebody say they were lookin' for the baaadest detective in town?
A Diwali feast during which one of the snake charmer's snakes got free and killed my wife?

At the end of the feast I had a giggle clicking the "I should do this again!" button.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I know it's useful to deliberately seed a merchant republic or two in your land but is it useful to deliberately seed a theocracy? I created one in my most recent Norse game but it didn't seem to accomplish much beyond "be Norse."

edit: Oh god my lunatic king just literally summoned and then killed Cthulhu. Best game ever.

Theocracies are much more stable (guaranteed succession with the occasional ability to choose the heir, no claims to give enemies a way in). Catholic theocracies may be loyal to the Pope. I don't know if there's a drawback for other religions.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

nutranurse posted:

It sounds like you should be using the Historical Project w/ VIET then because that's exactly what HIP+VIET does!

I just messed around with it a little bit, checked out the map (just using VIET), checked out the religions and cultures, liked what I saw, checked out the converter too, I guess it's slightly out of date, India didn't convert over at all and there was one missing culture, but overall I'm thinking that I could get back into VIET. I do like that it converts heresies over and stuff too.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I just loaded up HIP + VIET per what everyone's talking about here and...woah. Everything looks more varied and unique. My Patriarch is wearing Patriarch clothes.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There are no real downside to Church vassals, which is why they put the limit in to prevent you from having 100% church vassals.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Also a bishop's papal suitability goes up with temporal power, so a prince-archbishop gets a substantial bonus to his odds of becoming pope.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I have two sons born in the purple, the second is a genius. Is there anyway to make the second my heir aside from killing the first? Can I force him to take the vows?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can female Zoroastrian leaders take male concubines? I've got my Bright and generally ridiculously skilled daughter (only eleven years old and her stats are already 9/9/7/5/4 because she's just racking up the virtues and other great traits) elected as my heir in both my kingdoms, and while I'm probably going to directly marry her to one of her half-brothers for Xwedodah, it'd be great if she could get her own harem going like daddy Vandad (currently seventy years old and still kicking rear end; despite having picked up Craven a decade or two ago he's still by far the best warrior I have and leads in every war I've had, which combined with Shy and his other traits makes for a pretty cool story really; despite being a demure and somewhat traumatized man he's still fighting for his faith and countrymen and leading them to victory). If it's not possible in the base game, can it be modded in?

Also, man. From the same game, my oldest son (fourth child) came of age with a ridiculous 20 Martial. I decided to let him lead one of the flanks of my army in the war I was in. First battle, he died. Depressing; he would have made a killer Marshal for his half-sister. (Rest of his stats were trash and I had already married him to a different half-sister so they wouldn't have married though.) Edit: To make matters even worse, it was in a holy war for a single county, and it was against The Worst Son, Justan "the Cruel" Justanid, son of Wahsudan Justanid, who had managed to go from just ruling Gilan to being Satrap of Tabaristan and fought off the Caliph before dying. Between being indirectly responsible for the death of my son, refusing to accept my offers of vassalization, and forcing several Zoroastrians to convert to Sunni, I think I'm done dealing with him. Instead of trying to bring Wahsudan's son back, I'm thinking of plotting to kill him, replacing him with his son and vassalizing him instead. Despite having been brought up Sunni and therefore considering me an infidel, the kid likes me better than his horrible father does.

And on the topic of elections, I've got some dumbass trying to start a faction to become leader of one of my two kingdoms. This is stupid because he didn't nominate himself for it; my (again, only eleven years old) daughter is running unopposed and getting the votes in both. This guy is apparently aware that he can't compete with a child, so instead he's trying to subvert the whole system (and failing; his threat is hovering around 30% and I don't think he has any supporters). Edit: Wait, no, he's trying to get one of my sons on the throne. One of my child sons. Who, again, he could have nominated instead of trying to get a (supportless) revolution going for.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 2, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Charlz Guybon posted:

I have two sons born in the purple, the second is a genius. Is there anyway to make the second my heir aside from killing the first? Can I force him to take the vows?

You can't intentionally disqualify your heir like that. You have a few options, the first is gently caress with succession laws so hes no longer the front runner (Elective is nice for obvious reasons). The other is murder. Murder prevents him from getting a claim on the throne so that options better.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

derkaiser posted:

Meanwhile, in Lithuania...

This game :allears:

It's obviously working as intended, because modern day practicioners of Romuva in Lithuania actually do a lot of ecumenical work with Hindus. :v:

That said, my Hungary to Israel game went just as well as expected. After getting the huge stack of event troops for creating Hungary I invaded Khazaria, took a random Jewish concubine and converted to Judaism. I made a beeline towards the Levant with my event troops, taking advantage of the fact that the Abbasid caliph was a five year old kid at one point and eventually secured Israel for myself. In the meantime I fought off one Crusade (Crusades got activated after I took Constantinople for no other reason than "because I can") and now the caliphate has called a Jihad on me.

I'm now ruler of Hungary, the titular kingdom of Israel and the empire of Carpathia and I'm currently at a loss as to what I should do after I fight off this latest Jihad. My realm's got pretty ugly borders, so maybe fixing that should be my first priority.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Roland Jones posted:

Can female Zoroastrian leaders take male concubines?
No. Only men can have concubines.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strudel Man posted:

No. Only men can have concubines.

Can it be modded, then? I remember seeing that Enatic and Enatic-Cognatic succession are both in the game but not active unless modded to be, so it seems reasonable for this to be a possibility too.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
What should I do if the DLC/Mod selection launcher is no longer appearing on startup? CK2 just goes straight to the copyright screen after I hit play in steam.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ratpick posted:

I'm now ruler of Hungary, the titular kingdom of Israel and the empire of Carpathia and I'm currently at a loss as to what I should do after I fight off this latest Jihad. My realm's got pretty ugly borders, so maybe fixing that should be my first priority.

Go restore all the ancient religions. Become the Saoshyant, mend the schism, reform all the Pagan religions.
You'll need to religion hop quite a bit, so the vassal opinion boost for being the Roman Empire will help, so I recommend taking all of the old Roman borders (West coast of Arabia, Alexandria, Tunisia, Croatia, Serbia, Italy and Sicily basically), go Orthodox, usurp/recreate the Byzantine empire then turn it into the Roman Empire and mend the schism.

Then go to Perisa, become Zoroastrian, perhaps Persian too, so you can vassalise the Immortals, then restore the Zoroastrian priesthood and become the Saoshyant.

Then go Tengri again and reform that religion.
Slavic is next on the list, then Romuva, then Norse.
Try to do West african paganism to, you should be close enough to attempt it with the Roman borders.

Roland Jones posted:

Can it be modded, then? I remember seeing that Enatic and Enatic-Cognatic succession are both in the game but not active unless modded to be, so it seems reasonable for this to be a possibility too.

Nope. You can't even use the scripting engine to add male concubines.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edison was a dick posted:

Dang. That's disappointing.

Speaking of disappointing things, got my first adventurer coming for me. Over a decade ago I crushed the Samanids, but apparently one managed to somehow forge a claim on one of my lands and raised an army. Fortunately, he "only" has 30k troops. To my 12k. Hoo boy, this is going to take some serious planning to deal with, especially since it happened while I'm holy warring the Saffarids for one of their last remaining lands. Not that the Saffarids are a threat (they've got like 1k troops left and are dealing with a rebellion with more troops than they have), but now I have to choose between sieging their stuff and devoting everything to dealing with the rear end in a top hat and his adventurers and letting my warscore for the Saffarid land slowly tick down.

Edit: Ahaha, wow. This guy's actually Shah Nasr's son. Even from beyond the grave Nasr is trying to gently caress with me. Going to have to crush this dude extra hard now. Fortunately he's splitting up his armies into 4.9k stacks all over the place so I can take them out one at a time with minimal losses if I do this right.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 2, 2014

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

Edison was a dick posted:

Concubones*

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know if there's some event that could cause Rashtrakuta to go from ~12k max levies to 35k max levies in one generation :stare:

If a character gets event troops from somewhere, like leading a rebellion or being an adventurer, they don't automatically lose or disband those troops when the war ends - the event armies will stick around until they're killed in battle.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

This maybe a stupid question, but is there a way to adjust how your armies flanks get divided?

I'm getting real tired of defending from a perfect position with 20+ martial generals and beating the enemy to half my morale only to have one of the flanks suddenly poo poo itself and get everyone killed. It has to be because they never gets any cavalry.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

BioMe posted:

This maybe a stupid question, but is there a way to adjust how your armies flanks get divided?

I'm getting real tired of defending from a perfect position with 20+ martial generals and beating the enemy to half my morale only to have one of the flanks suddenly poo poo itself and get everyone killed. It has to be because they never gets any cavalry.

When you're looking at the army, there should be a bar with an arrow in it pointing to the right on the right edge. Clicking that will expand the army view out and let you adjust your troops. It also has an auto balance option which will try to balance things out for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

BioMe posted:

There actually is! Select your army as if you were going to set flank leaders, then click the right-pointing arrow beside the row of troop-type icons with the army's total counts, and you'll open up a screen where you can manually assign certain sub-units to certain flanks.

edit: yeah, that.

• Locked thread