Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

MisterBibs posted:

The warp core's orientation is immaterial, though, that's just :techno:. The core physical parts (saucer, secondary hull, warp engines) are all in basically the same place, making the changes to those parts cosmetic changes.

Go post in AI and tell them that swapping a longitudinal motor for a transverse motor is immaterial and cosmetic and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think people are getting too far into semantics. Let's step way back and take a look at the big picture. During the Connie refit, sure they did a lot of stuff inside but the overall outside shape remained the same. On the NX-01 refit, they added an entirely new secondary hull to it. Take a silhouette of the 1701 and 1701A, they are about the same. Take a silhouette of the NX-01 and the refit and they are drastically different. That's why we are saying the NX-01 refit should be a new class. It's the difference between a Connie and a Miranda. You can't in a million years say that adding an entirely new hull to a ship is the same as making the connie longer and swapping out all the insides.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

We can all agree that repainting the bathroom, moving the toilet and sink around, and installing on-demand hot water instead of a tank is still a less drastic change than adding two additional floors to your house, though, right?

Subyng
May 4, 2013
This is the dumbest discussion ever even by Trek standards.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Cojawfee posted:

Take a silhouette of the 1701 and 1701A

Refit != A, by the way. The A was another Constitution class named Enterprise after the original was blown up in Search for Spock.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Refit != A, by the way. The A was another Constitution class named Enterprise after the original was blown up in Search for Spock.

Uh you mean another Constitution Refit class.
:goonsay:

Is it possible to catch Aspergers from a something awful dot com forum thread? I don't feel so good.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 2, 2014

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
you doomed yourself the moment that you gave Lowtax your :10bux:.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Subyng posted:

Not empty quoting this.

So how bad is JJTrek 3: Dumb Subtitle going to be?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

hailthefish posted:

Not empty quoting this.

So how bad is JJTrek 3: Dumb Subtitle going to be?

Star Trek: The Search for, oh wait.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Subyng posted:

You guys are loving out-sperging Bernd Schneider, a middle-aged German Trekker with a page detailing the changes and reuse of single-scene props in every series.

My opinion: making the NX-01 look old and busted would have made for an even worse series. She is the forefront of technology for her time, and should (and does) look sleek as hell.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Further complicating the matter, I remember reading that Starfleet anticipated a hundred years' service out of most of their starships. There were still a bunch of Excelsiors and Ambassadors around during the TNG area (well, Excelsiors anyway) - they were projected to bring in the Galaxy classes every twenty years for a major overhaul.

Just how old was the Enterprise originally? Maybe the break between TOS and TMP was just the equivalent of that.

As for the NX thing, wouldn't it still be the same type of ship because it's fundamentally experimental? I'm not sure what the deal is with research testbed types.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Here's a question, Why do the Fed ships use the saucer/nacelle design? what was the reason behind designing the Enterprise like that in TOS and following it for successive shows, barring the Defiant.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flipswitch posted:

Here's a question, Why do the Fed ships use the saucer/nacelle design? what was the reason behind designing the Enterprise like that in TOS and following it for successive shows, barring the Defiant.

Warp field dynamics!

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

I love you

Flipswitch posted:

Roddenberry's Design Rules: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/design.htm

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

All changes are cosmetic changes then. Aside from the cloak on the first of these, the Defiant, Voyager and Enterprises NX-01 through to 1701-E are identical from a storytelling-engineering perspective. They all have shields, some kind of weapons, transporters, crew, medbays, engineering, etc.

Yes, if you think about it from a real-world point of view, because television is a largely visual medium, all changes are cosmetic.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Subyng posted:

I dunno, I think this looks pretty awesome.

:spergin: about made up technology, but why would shields "degrade" when hit, anyway? The whole idea of shields "down to 30%" or whatever doesn't really make sense at least based on my understanding of how real life field-things work. If whatever is hitting the shields stops hitting it, then there shouldn't be any reason why the field strength would not return to 100%, right?

I'm not saying that looks like it should be hauling garbage, I'm saying it looks like it should be hauled away as garbage. :smug:

The Daedalus class looks like some old workhorse class designed to do some routine unglamorous job cheaply and effectively. The NX-01 is supposed to be the start of a new era of space exploration, and the pride of starfleet. In order to look the part its gotta look fast and mean.

Also yeah I'm in the camp that shield percentages were supposed to be some sort of depletable energy reserve from the main reactor's output.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Timby posted:

But the big thing was the fuckery over his "Blood and Fire" script, which was rewritten without his permission because the bosses weren't comfortable with an AIDS story. After that, his contract expired and he had no desire to work with Roddenberry any further.

"Blood and Fire" was produced by one of the fan series as well as a novel in the Star Wolf series by Gerrold. I've read the novel, it's damned good.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Gene Roddenberry posted:

Rule #1 Warp nacelles *must* be in pairs.

Um...

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Remind me what exactly Roddenberry had to do with that? If he couldn't nix things when he was alive, its a tad unfair to expect him to do it when he is dead.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
God, I love Ex Astris Scientia:

quote:

Usually the MSDs are practical size references, for we know that an average deck of a Starfleet ship should be 3.5m, at most 4m tall. The corrected Defiant MSD (image) was modified for the DS9TM and now encompasses four decks. Looking closely, the MSD even shows persons who are 50% as tall as once deck spacing. The question may crop up whether people in the 24th century shouldn't be much taller than the average 20th century adult. The answer is a clear-cut no for which we find evidence in numerous episodes where Starfleet personnel goes on time travel or finds survivors in cryogenic chambers.

Shame. I was hoping for a Star Trek series where everyone is 3 feet tall.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

There's one on the bottom and one on the top. It's still a pair.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The AV Club is almost done with DS9, and their reviewer, Zach Handlen, really seems to get it:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/star-trek-deep-space-nine-dogs-war-204059

:siren: spoilers if you haven't finished DS9, I guess :siren:

quote:

There’s a lot to love about this. Damar’s transformation from dull flunky and murderer to a man of deep principle and vision is complete, and it all made sense, every step of the way; a character arc which almost certainly wasn’t planned from the start, but which flows naturally from beginning to end. Other characters have changed over the course of the series, but I’m hard-pressed to think of one who’s changed as substantially as Damar has. Dukat went through a number of different roles, but his core remained corrupted and self-focused throughout. Damar, on the other hand, has developed an actual soul. The fact that so much of this played largely in the background of the final seasons just makes it all the more powerful. It catches you off guard. I’ve seen dozens, maybe hundreds of oafish seconds-in-command in my years watching genre shows and movies, and they’re always the first ones to get shot when the dying starts. Damar survived, and what’s more, he learned from experience.

But while Damar is the most impressive accomplishment of this penultimate hour, Kira’s arc is critical as well. The point was never to force Kira into a painful, and potentially deadly, situation. The point was to give her a chance to do for Cardassia what she’d done for her own people, and, in the act, transcend some of the horrors of her past. None of what happens with Damar will alleviate the violence and suffering of the Cardassian occupation, but there’s a power to Kira first helping the Cardassians fight against their own oppressors, and then offering an example that reminds their new leader that the stakes are higher than mere freedom. While she’ll probably never get the credit for it, Kira essentially sets the course for Cardassia’s future (assuming that Damar’s rebellion is victorious, which I’m guessing it will be), and that’s fantastic. (Meanwhile, Garak, after a lifetime in the shadows, is getting pushing center stage next to the man who killed the woman he loved. Life, y’know?)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Trickjaw posted:

Remind me what exactly Roddenberry had to do with that? If he couldn't nix things when he was alive, its a tad unfair to expect him to do it when he is dead.

He was there in spirit. Or something like that.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mister Kingdom posted:

He was there in spirit. Or something like that.

Gene Roddenberry is my spirit animal.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Flipswitch posted:

It started out as mostly aesthetics. They didn't want just a saucer (like Forbidden Planet), and they absolutely didn't want to do a pointed-cigar rocket.

Matt Jeffries - the guy who designed the Enterprise - suggested that the nacelles would be out on pylons like that because when they were active there'd be some nasty radiation or fields or something flowing around and between them. Also, they were intended to be field-replaceable; if one or both of the nacelles was hosed, you could just tow a replacement nacelle out, disconnect the busted one, bolt on the new one, and you were ready to rock and roll.

The "nacelles must be in pairs" thing didn't come around until the late 70s or the early 80s, when Gene Roddenberry decreed that the speculative designs in Franz Joseph's Star Fleet Technical Manual - which Franz had consulted Roddenberry on previously - were "wrong" because of various rules (nacelles must be in pairs, must have line of sight to each other... something else I can't remember, I think) which his scout/destroyer and dreadnought designs had violated.

Even without that though, it makes good dramatic and aesthetic sense for the series to continue using saucer/nacelle designs for Starfleet ships; it creates a visual shorthand by which the audience can recognize Starfleet vessels.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Even without that though, it makes good dramatic and aesthetic sense for the series to continue using saucer/nacelle designs for Starfleet ships; it creates a visual shorthand by which the audience can recognize Starfleet vessels.

Yeah, I remember there being a rule when they were designing DS9 that you should be able to easily pick out a lead ship/station based on a stick figure sketch, and this kind of extends it to culture.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
GET hosed, Q.

God drat I hate this rear end in a top hat.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, I remember there being a rule when they were designing DS9 that you should be able to easily pick out a lead ship/station based on a stick figure sketch, and this kind of extends it to culture.

This is just how visual design works. You create strong silhouettes so your "characters" (in this case ships) are immediately recognizable. DS9 is instantly identifiable, and so is Empok Nor! :v:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

As this gif points out, pretty much everything remains where it was, it just looks different. The changes are - faith and begorrah - cosmetic.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Haha, loving ridiculous. Yup, that's Grandpa's Axe, alright.

For that to be comparable to the NX Refit, though, there would have to be a second secondary hull, perhaps raised above the saucer with additional struts poking down to the nacelles.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

As this gif points out, pretty much everything remains where it was, it just looks different. The changes are - faith and begorrah - cosmetic.

Do you even know what the word cosmetic means!?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

This is just how visual design works. You create strong silhouettes so your "characters" (in this case ships) are immediately recognizable. DS9 is instantly identifiable, and so is Empok Nor! :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I know, I just mean for the most part they extended the concept to whole cultures.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

MisterBibs posted:

You don't know what the word "cosmetic" means.

If you replace the engines on a spaceship, it's not a cosmetic change!

If you're talking about the picture of the spaceship, then yes, it's a cosmetic change, in the sense that Photoshop Phriday pictures are cosmetic changes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
But Star Trek engines aren't real. All the engines are identical in how they function, which is to say they don't. From the viewer's perspective, it's all cosmetic.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hang on a second. Do actual Navy ships ever change class, no matter what's done to them? Take the USS Texas. She was designed as a World War I era dreadnought:

Then she got modernized in the '20s which included re-doing massive amounts of her hull:

Then she got her secondary armament completely re-done after Pearl Harbor, but at no time was anything other than a New York Class Battleship.

Why, then, would Starfleet (which took a lot of its practices from the World War II era US Navy through Gene) go willy nilly changing ships classes, regardless of the structural changes to either the NX- or Constitution class ships?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I can't help but feel like we could probably go dig up some ancient Usenet debates over this thing and jump to the conclusion already

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I know all debates are about semantics to an extent, but sheesh. Here is a "cosmetic change" worth discussing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Bajoran class psychopath.

• Locked thread