Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Winged Orpheus posted:

Can someone give me the skinny on ADP? I've seen people claim it's absolutely necessary, and others say it's the new resistance stat.

You want Agility, when you get from increasing ADP (and a bit from Attunement). More agility makes rolling better, and speeds up shield raising and drinking estus. Once you get it to 99 or 100 you can stop raising ADP, though (something like 25 ADP if you don't increase attunement at all, IIRC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kiggles posted:

Just make it one ring. Simply being in the covenant should summon a blue bro when you are invaded, provided there is a viable blue bro wearing the only ring the covenant offers. Want to be invaded without help? Join a different cov.

The ring you get for joining the Way of the Blue isn't required to summon a Bluecop when invaded, it just boosts your HP a bit.

Winged Orpheus posted:

Can someone give me the skinny on ADP? I've seen people claim it's absolutely necessary, and others say it's the new resistance stat.

ADP and ATN both boost AGL, which is the stat that determines the iframes on your roll. AGL 100 or so gives you something equivalent to the fast roll from DS1.

For pretty obvious reasons, more roll iframes = better, and ADP also has the benefit of boosting resistances.

If your ATN is high enough, though (i.e. if you're a caster, since ATN boosts slots and cast speed), you don't need to put points in ADP.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

FutonForensic posted:

The Vengarl armor set is also really good if you want to go for a barbarian look. Not bad stats either. You'll have to beat Brightstone Cove if you want to get the helmet, though.

The leggings of Vengarl's set is also statistically better so you're not entirely in the red with it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Which of you was this: :allears:

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

Verviticus posted:

Is there a trick to initializing bonfire ascetics? I burned one at heidi's tower, its gone now and when I go to travel there it says 2 instead of 1, but the mobs are not harder, the mace guy didn't respawn and the bosses are still dead. I've tried traveling away to no avail

I think it should work instantly after burning it.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Caik posted:

I think it should work instantly after burning it.

Yeah, turns out there's two bonfires here and I just skipped the first one, somehow. OOPS

edit: holy poo poo i ran past this like... three times

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Verviticus posted:

Is there a trick to initializing bonfire ascetics? I burned one at heidi's tower, its gone now and when I go to travel there it says 2 instead of 1, but the mobs are not harder, the mace guy didn't respawn and the bosses are still dead. I've tried traveling away to no avail
Maybe they're tied to the next bonfire? It's not always super obvious which bonfire controls which spawns.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Yeah it seems Tower of Flame is connected to nothing and Heide's Ruin is connected to everything. Cool

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So since bell bros are dead for me, at 1.4 mil SM will I see much at the rat holes or just keep on the bell keepers and keep the ring on at all times in hopes something will happen? I have no cracked red eye orbs and I'm not keen on grinding them and as far as I know the blue sentinels don't do much of anything until ng+ either. I'm like ten kills away from the final covenant reward too. I wish invasions weren't almost impossible to have happen now. 1 in 30 hours is boring. Besides the world design being questionable it's the worst thing about the game to me.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

So since bell bros are dead for me, at 1.4 mil

I am at 1.8mil in NG0 and still getting regular bites for bellbros, with cross-region set to restricted. You should still be getting regular summons, but if not, you can always enable the cross-region stuff to get more fights.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Can you summon Lucatiel for the Pursuer in Iron Keep, where Smelter Demon was? I see her sign, but when I summon white phantoms for that they can't follow me to help. Kinda confusing why that's the case, too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Once you hit the ng+ range of soul memory you will be invaded constantly and it is terrible. I have the opposite problem in that I wish invasions were, in fact, entirely impossible without forcing you to go offline or join the hard mode covenant. It's stupid, I really miss just going hollow and ignoring the worst component of the entire series by a landslide.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

quote:

Vengarl set, barbarian look
Vengarl's helm should be worn with Red Eye Ring.

Sure, you can be some guy in a wolf hat

Or you can be this:

As a bonus, it makes Alonne Knights go completely batshit when I'm phantoming.
The one in the middle of the movable bridge before Smelter Demon? Host and other phantom are already charging it, I'm not even on the bridge yet. Knight countercharges with that sword-raised attack shuffle, shoving straight past the host and other phantom to try and get at me.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I have a question about the whole "beat the game without dying" thing. Do saves in this game work like in the first one? Meaning can I just cheese it by backing up my save?

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

Verviticus posted:

you want the bonfire after the bosses, not the intro one. So Blue Cathedral, and the one above draon riders room

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

Manatee Cannon posted:

Once you hit the ng+ range of soul memory you will be invaded constantly and it is terrible. I have the opposite problem in that I wish invasions were, in fact, entirely impossible without forcing you to go offline or join the hard mode covenant. It's stupid, I really miss just going hollow and ignoring the worst component of the entire series by a landslide.

Does ng+ drastically increase your Soul Memory range to be invaded? I'm at 1.8m in just NG and I've been invaded 1 time in 40+ hours...

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Vengarl Set is pretty good, decent stats and the weight isn't overbearing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The enemies in dragon shrine are two shotting me and staggering me with every hit, so essentially they're one shots. Emerald Warden please come back I need to level up :saddowns:

EDIT: The worst part is I'm wasting tons of souls on life protect rings since i can't just go hollow to practice the area. That would mean risking 200k+ souls.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 2, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Can you use SAM for this without risk of a VAC ban? I kind of don't want to start over for the Rank 2/3 covenant spells, and I'm at SM 16M so I don't get hit for gargoyles to get Hidden Weapon. :v:

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

pmchem posted:

Can you summon Lucatiel for the Pursuer in Iron Keep, where Smelter Demon was? I see her sign, but when I summon white phantoms for that they can't follow me to help. Kinda confusing why that's the case, too.

Nope, it's a solo fight. Despite how he looks, he can be poisoned, so there's always that if you to cheese it, especially since you can get a few whacks in while he phases through the floor.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A pair of sunbros just helped me through the whole shaded ruins, pointing everything out, including where Ornifex was and which guy to unpetrify to get to her. Thanks guys. :kimchi:

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The enemies in dragon shrine are two shotting me and staggering me with every hit, so essentially they're one shots. Emerald Warden please come back I need to level up :saddowns:

EDIT: The worst part is I'm wasting tons of souls on life protect rings since i can't just go hollow to practice the area. That would mean risking 200k+ souls.

Bearer of the curse
Seek a good bow
Seek poison arrows
Lest you go insane trying to git gud

don't attack the ancient dragon

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Would there be a reason I'm not able to drop my white soapstones anywhere? I can summon people just fine but all my soapstones are always greyed out.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgKg0Hc7YIA

:darksouls:

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

aegof posted:

Bearer of the curse
Seek a good bow
Seek poison arrows
Lest you go insane trying to git gud

don't attack the ancient dragon

I got through that area melee with some help from a shade to kill the great hammer knights. It was still bullshit though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Why did you kill the level up girl? :psyduck: I just... what?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So, as best I can tell, "Louisville Slugger" isn't going to be censored in any way.

Anyone have any suggestions for good baseball fashion?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

Why did you kill the level up girl? :psyduck: I just... what?

Internet Kraken posted:

Here's a lesson Dark Souls taught me; don't fulfill dubious requests in pursuit of a dumb hat.

I looked up where to get some gear I wanted and found out I needed to complete the murder requests of a crazy guy to get him to sell them too me. I could have completed said requests by simply progressing further in the game, but I figured "hey the only characters I care about in Majula so I can just kill them, burn a bonfire ascetic, and then they'll come back and everything will be just fine! I'm not gonna bother looking up if this plan will actually work because I'm lazy and tired.

Well it didn't work. Maybe I misunderstood ascetics and they don't reset NPCs, but either way I kind of just hosed myself overbecause one of the people I killed was the Emerald Warden. So no more leveling.

...but at least I got my hat :shepicide:

gently caress. She'll at least come back on NG+ right?

Short version is I'm dumb and didn't check how ascetics worked.

I made it to the Ancient Dragon. I want to fight this guy. I want to kill him really badly. But jesus christ that walk up to him...:negative:

VVV Her tombstone has never appeared. I don't think she has one.

EDIT: Wait what the gently caress now her tombstone is here :psyduck: Took like 50 visits to majula before it spawned.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 2, 2014

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Pretty sure you can talk to her tombstone and revive her for some souls level up with her ghost for some souls

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where are good places to use Soul Shower? Anywhere your back's to a wall? Certainly not in PVP.

e: Just got invaded midpost! Argh. He was naked but couldn't have his poise broken. What the hell? He wasn't hacking, I got him half-dead before he just starting attacking while I was hitting him.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Appropriate how Smelter Demon has goatse for a face considering how much of an rear end in a top hat he is.

Is there anything else in the game as cheap as that guy's shove player into level architecture->stunlock player->fart explosion combo?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Just you wait for the end game bosses. Though at least they can't really glitch you into anything.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Where are good places to use Soul Shower? Anywhere your back's to a wall? Certainly not in PVP.

e: Just got invaded midpost! Argh. He was naked but couldn't have his poise broken. What the hell? He wasn't hacking, I got him half-dead before he just starting attacking while I was hitting him.

Might have been latency, or he might have only turned on his hacks once he realised he was losing.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Soul Shower is hot garbage as far as I can tell. Useless in PVE and PVP.

Internet Kraken posted:

I made it to the Ancient Dragon. I want to fight this guy. I want to kill him really badly. But jesus christ that walk up to him...:negative:

Gower's Ring of Protection if you're in NG+ helps a lot if you're unfamiliar with his tells/how to avoid the big aerial AOE. Alternatively, two handing and/or upgrading a Gyrm Greatshield. There are a lot of "how to kill dargon" guides if you search. The hardest part is dealing with his massive health pool.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Umberger posted:

Gower's Ring of Protection if you're in NG+ helps a lot if you're unfamiliar with his tells/how to avoid the big aerial AOE. Alternatively, two handing and/or upgrading a Gyrm Greatshield. There are a lot of "how to kill dargon" guides if you search. The hardest part is dealing with his massive health pool.

Oh I'm sure I can beat him in a few tries. He doesn't seem that hard, just a big bag of hp. But that walk up to him seems like torture.

EDIT: Oh wait he gets a fog door installed. I thought the enemies would all be attacking you at once if you didn't kill them.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 2, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DrNutt posted:

What do you guys recommend for breaking myself away from the Drangleic Armor set? I really wanna play fashion souls but I see all those red numbers and they scare me. Why did From make one set of armor completely OP (for poise/strength builds especially) and give it to you so early in the game? I like the aesthetics of the Elite Knight outfit (feels much more appropriate for sunbroing) but the stats fall ridiculously short, even after a few upgrades.

I'm going to share a secret with you: the difference in raw damage that I took between wearing my heaviest and my lightest armor was incredibly minimal. resistances matter a lot more than the raw defense stat, and even then those are very situational and not very dramatic either. just wear whatever you want to wear. I rocked the Elite Knight set for a while and did just fine.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The ring you get for joining the Way of the Blue isn't required to summon a Bluecop when invaded, it just boosts your HP a bit.
Wait... really? I keep hearing people insist you wear the drat ring if you want cops to come help.

I've only been invaded twice across maybe 200 hours on PS3/PC, so I don't really have any experience to go by.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

What's the earliest 100% phys block normal shield? I'm running a hex + mace build and don't really want to invest a ton of str to use that greatshield in the shop.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

What's the earliest 100% phys block normal shield? I'm running a hex + mace build and don't really want to invest a ton of str to use that greatshield in the shop.

McDuff sells a 100% phys block shield that requires 12 str. You have to get him the Dull Ember, however.

Dangleic Shield requires 16 but can be picked up right after the second boss in Forest of Fallen Giants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How do you get out to the items on the hot rocks in Iron Keep? I thought maybe they'd cool after I killed the boss, but no, I tried rolling in water and running out to them and I still die pretty quick.