Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

The mixing up that happens to do the desert castle/Oeilvert section about fulfills my desire to switch up my party. I tend to do slightly different parties for that part each time I go through the game.

This part nearly stonewalled me at this point because I split my party into "the 4 people I use" and "the 4 people I don't" and let me tell you that was a brutal, brutal struggle to not get stuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mega64 posted:

It's so amazing, they pretty much recreated the experience in FF14.

Hopefully a future patch will release an Extreme version so there's reason to keep running it besides re-experiencing how awesome it is.

Yeah, I enjoy it but in spite of bad luck with the gimmicks leaving the potential for a wipe, it's not very challenging and doesn't have interesting drops. It's hard to even run now because so few people want to do it.

Maybe the joke will be that his HM or EX versions are totally over the top. I'd love if he became some sort of elite challenge boss.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yoshida has outright said as much. There should be a new difficulty of Battle on Big Bridge every major patch (so 2.3, 2.4, etc). :neckbeard:

And yes, it is a faithful recreation, up to and including acting like he's defeated at 50% HP and then putting up Haste/Protect/Shell and using Jump right after.

"Houuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!"

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

The mixing up that happens to do the desert castle/Oeilvert section about fulfills my desire to switch up my party. I tend to do slightly different parties for that part each time I go through the game.

"Huh... Kuja appears to be saying something important but i'm just gonna mash X till he shuts up.... Oh I have to choose three party members? Well I haven't used Steiner, Freya, Amarant or Quinna for the last 2 discs....guess i'll stick with Dagger, Vivi and Eiko. :)"

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbEan62z8RA

FFXXXIV is just the worst.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Are you besmirching the name of Godbert, hallowed be His name? That won't stand. :colbert:

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I just simply cannot do the Remiem Chocobo Race with five chests. I can basically tie, but jsut can't do it at all.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Capsaicin posted:

I just simply cannot do the Remiem Chocobo Race with five chests. I can basically tie, but jsut can't do it at all.

It seriously is not loving worth it. Theres much better ways to get 3 stars. If you want the trophy for the HD rerelease, note that it's "bugged" that if you open 5 chests it still counts even if you hit poles, which makes it much easier.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

This is the greatest game I have never played.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Never change Japan.

(so glad export to USB is now a thing)

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

abagofcheetos posted:

Never change Japan.

(so glad export to USB is now a thing)

I know some people will be weirded out by that, but I can't stop laughing!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is the greatest game I have never played.

It's stuff like this that makes me come back to the game (and not stuff like the Extreme Primal battles because god loving jesus drat it, everybody who plays this game sucks at it including and especially me and nobody ever wins).

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

abagofcheetos posted:

Never change Japan.

I was going to ask for some context, but, I think I'll be confused either way :v:

Fly, Enkidu! Fly!

[e]: Ah, okay, I didn't know if it was some NPC thing or something.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 1, 2014

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

it's just two players posing, it's really nothing to be confused about.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Barudak posted:

This part nearly stonewalled me at this point because I split my party into "the 4 people I use" and "the 4 people I don't" and let me tell you that was a brutal, brutal struggle to not get stuck.

This is why Chocobo Hot and Cold is so important, because there are a bunch of treasures you can get on the Forgotten Continent that more than make up for any stat deficiencies if you haven't used, for example, Amarant or Freya the whole game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

morallyobjected posted:

This is why Chocobo Hot and Cold is so important, because there are a bunch of treasures you can get on the Forgotten Continent that more than make up for any stat deficiencies if you haven't used, for example, Amarant or Freya the whole game.

Also it's the best minigame in the entire series

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's stuff like this that makes me come back to the game (and not stuff like the Extreme Primal battles because god loving jesus drat it, everybody who plays this game sucks at it including and especially me and nobody ever wins).

I played through the whole Manderville questline last night and I was seriously not expecting to laugh at a quest in an MMO, but dang is this game really well done. It also ends in THIS which is a spoiler, kinda, but loving incredible.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

But if you didn't come back for those you couldn't listen to the awesome music :colbert:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Titan's Under the Weight is the first real Final Fantasy boss theme since 8.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Any dread at hitting post-heart Titan is more than made up by the music kicking up to the max. I dig the second half of Leviathan's theme, too.

14 has pretty great battle music in general.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rei_ posted:

Do you mean like normal boss themes or special boss? IX and X had great special boss music, although I hated IX's normal boss theme.

I also liked XII's Boss Battle but I know a lot of people here hate XII's OST so whatever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rei_ posted:

Grand Cross.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you mean like normal boss themes or special boss? IX and X had great special boss music, although I hated IX's normal boss theme.

I also liked XII's Boss Battle but I know a lot of people here hate XII's OST so whatever.

XII's OST is very...odd. I mean, 13 came out and demonstrated what an actually BAD FF soundtrack is, but XII's is certainly an odd duck. I think the problem is is that the music isn't really the same kind of "rock-and-roll" style that was such a big influence on Uemetsu's compositions. XII has a very classical style, exactly like the Tactics games before it, and it's all very competent and even atmosphere-inducing, but not nearly as memorable or grandstanding.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

Grand Cross.

Spookiest boss theme.

I really enjoyed Saber’s Edge, and that was definitely after VIII.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

XII's OST is very...odd. I mean, 13 came out and demonstrated what an actually BAD FF soundtrack is, but XII's is certainly an odd duck. I think the problem is is that the music isn't really the same kind of "rock-and-roll" style that was such a big influence on Uemetsu's compositions. XII has a very classical style, exactly like the Tactics games before it, and it's all very competent and even atmosphere-inducing, but not nearly as memorable or grandstanding.

I think X-2 was the first FF game I played that had a fair number of tracks I seriously disliked. THIS is not a loving chocobo theme!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
For as much as I dislike XII's soundtrack (like you guys say, Sakimoto's an ambient guy. I've always said he'd be a much better match to AAA American games), the first one I really felt missed the mark was FF8. There's just something soulless about it to my ears and it almost feels like Uematsu hated the game as much as most of the rest of us do.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Schwartzcough posted:

I think X-2 was the first FF game I played that had a fair number of tracks I seriously disliked. THIS is not a loving chocobo theme!

Nah man, it's THE Chocobo theme.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

For as much as I dislike XII's soundtrack (like you guys say, Sakimoto's an ambient guy. I've always said he'd be a much better match to AAA American games), the first one I really felt missed the mark was FF8. There's just something soulless about it to my ears and it almost feels like Uematsu hated the game as much as most of the rest of us do.
I can't hear you over the man with the machine gun.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003
XII was chill but uneventful. XIII balanced the line between engaging soundtrack and accompanying score pretty well. Shimomura on XV should be awesome.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

uhhh crazy chocobo??

BloodWulfe fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 2, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

BloodWulfe posted:

uhhh crazy chocobo??

Play them both at the same time.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Crazy Chocobo still exists.

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Play them both at the same time.

Are we in hell?!

Yes

We are

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Oh god. It's like diarrhea straight into my ears.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It sounds like a clown and a screamo band are having a battle of the bands.

And they're both losing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Schwartzcough posted:

Oh god. It's like god's whispers straight into my ears.

I know man, I know.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Is this the unknown bounty that has escaped video games for so long, the bounty known as art?

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

maou shoujo posted:

FF8 has a similar problem with Quistis. As soon as she steps down from being a SeeD instructor, she stops doing basically anything interesting at all. It's a shame, I liked her. :(

Her bit on the turret at the extraction/escap for Dollet bought her a shitload of credit for me. I thought that was the most bad-rear end thing... until I saw Galbadia board Balamb garden.

Rei_ posted:

From FFX alone:

Battle With Seymour
Otherworld
Challenge

I admit that it takes about a minute to really kick in but I have always loved the track. I like some of the remaster changes for Challenge but really miss the scratchy guitar in the background.

Normal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDdDaZuMWko
Remaster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5iCaE-JLs

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

For FFVIII music, nothing tops Griever's theme, The Legendary Beast.

Everybody always talks about Maybe I'm A Lion and The Extreme and I know why. It's because you're gonna kill Griever just as this song starts playing. It is mandatory he do Shockwave Pulsar and only then does this music start. Only, for everyone playing the game who even half understands the system, he will immediately die right after the song begins.

Maybe I'm A Lion and The Extreme at least got a long, protracted "intro" in which you could not immediately annihilate the boss.

Griever in the Requiem mod has about 330K HP. I hear that song plenty, and I am glad.

I'm not glad that I spent over an hour on the boss fight only to get wiped by final Ultimecia and Apocalypse... I's my own fault for panicking and hitting the wrong command but still... So loving close.

I thought Phoenix Pinions could auto-life you or something... I have a ton of those for that reason.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:54 on May 2, 2014

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm not glad that I spent over an hour on the boss fight only to get wiped by final Ultimecia and Apocalypse... I's my own fault for panicking and hitting the wrong command but still... So loving close.

I thought Phoenix Pinions could auto-life you or something... I have a ton of those for that reason.

Kinda. Once you summon phoenix for the first time, phoenix can appear randomly anytime after that to revive your party from a game over, the more Phoenix Pinions you have the more likely it'll happen (In FF9 it's (Number of Phoenix Pinions)/256 x 100). I don't know what it is in 8)

BloodWulfe
Mar 18, 2003

Syrant posted:

Her bit on the turret at the extraction/escap for Dollet bought her a shitload of credit for me. I thought that was the most bad-rear end thing... until I saw Galbadia board Balamb garden.

Quistis and Irvine are the best characters. So are Freya and Amarant.

Too bad they're also the least developed, or just outright abandoned after their tiny story arcs wrap up.

e: or maybe that's why they're the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rei_
May 16, 2004

See I liked FF8 a lot. I think FF7 hit a certain demographic of people in the US that FF8 just wasn't aiming for, so what happened is that it released really poorly but in a lot of ways its story aged really well? It's loving batshit insane JRPG poo poo, but it's really cool and nuanced in away I really didn't expect when I revisited it years later.