Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Looks like he could use a new Avatar with "Saviour of Wrexham" underneath

Second this.

But that whole thing was loving bizarre. You go suggest a new stadium, gripe about it to the press and they <i>fire</i> you???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Electric Pope posted:

So.. how exactly is it even possible to come in 7th while spending most of the season with a wage budget less than half of the teams being relegated? Are the AI really bad at spending wisely? Is the use of highly specialized players that the game underrates getting you better players for the price than you'd be able to in real life?

Youth development, I believe.

CABA

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
That was....what just happened? :stare: Sky Shadowing's prize sent us too close to the sun! We were punished for his hubris!

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

KDavisJr posted:

Second this.

But that whole thing was loving bizarre. You go suggest a new stadium, gripe about it to the press and they <i>fire</i> you???

This really surprised me as well. I've often leaked things to the press when the board is just being stubborn and they inevitably bend over backwards to accomodate: they've never complained, let alone fired me, and I don't have the same sort of legend status as Scott Brown does. The only thing I can think of is that the request was somehow literally impossible, as I've even seen the board take on loans to keep up with my relentless complaining about training facilities. But then, aren't we loaded?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Electric Pope posted:

So.. how exactly is it even possible to come in 7th while spending most of the season with a wage budget less than half of the teams being relegated? Are the AI really bad at spending wisely? Is the use of highly specialized players that the game underrates getting you better players for the price than you'd be able to in real life?

I'm stingy. We had very few players getting Premier League level salaries. Dejan Djurovic had a 3,000/wk contract all season, Shirra was earning about 2,000/wk for most of the season. Even Bastable was only earning 30,000/wk while winning the Golden Boot.

We were also pretty healthy. Bastable and Shirra were available all season, and that helped immensely,

Lastly, we were really young. Young players are much cheaper, equal quality players who were in their late 20's would have been much more expensive while not being any better. That can mean some of my young players don't pan out because I overestimate how well they'll handle the level of play, but they're still cheap.

eta: I keep my spreadsheet online, as you can see we don't have anyone earning an inordinate amount of money. Kovacevich is the top earner at 2m a year, that'll go up to 2.5m after his pay raise. But he's by far and away the best paid player. And we have players like Todd and Djurovic making major contributions while on League One level salaries. Shirra's new contract is a good 7 times larger than his old one, but it's still only about 750k a year.

Obliterati posted:

This really surprised me as well. I've often leaked things to the press when the board is just being stubborn and they inevitably bend over backwards to accomodate: they've never complained, let alone fired me, and I don't have the same sort of legend status as Scott Brown does.

Yeah. I didn't say anything nice about the board, but I can't believe I got sacked. If this happened in real life it would be huge news and the board would find themselves immediately embattled.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 1, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Trundel posted:

Don't forget high Tackling and I'll accept this scenario. You might as well jack their Strength stat too.

High tackling would actually hurt. It would mean they're actually good at tackling and thus not get called for nearly as many fouls. High Bravery and low Decisions should be in the mix, though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ex Nihilo posted:

I'm glad that it worked out. :)

I don't want to mess with any teams, but since we came back to the past, change the future by killing Sarah Connor getting a bigger stadium.

I'd rather not skip that part of the game entirely by changing the settings via editor, so I'll treat this as if we had a board vote here about it and set it up so that I keep asking every few months for a new stadium/buying our current one until they agree to one. Would you prefer that we build a new stadium or purchase the current one? The new stadium would be significantly more expensive, but also have much better base stats (capacity, expansion options, sweet new luxury suites for wining and dining the potentates of Wales).

So it goes on the list of board commands that need implementing along with our foreign feeder club, I'll keep approaching the board every quarter to request it until they accept. I won't take it to the media, though. :D

Definitely putting a big sign over the exit to the team locker rooms with "Creatio ex Nihilo" for players to slap for luck on their way to the pitch.

Ex Nihilo
Jul 31, 2013

Saviour of Wrexham

habeasdorkus posted:

I'd rather not skip that part of the game entirely by changing the settings via editor, so I'll treat this as if we had a board vote here about it and set it up so that I keep asking every few months for a new stadium/buying our current one until they agree to one. Would you prefer that we build a new stadium or purchase the current one? The new stadium would be significantly more expensive, but also have much better base stats (capacity, expansion options, sweet new luxury suites for wining and dining the potentates of Wales).

So it goes on the list of board commands that need implementing along with our foreign feeder club, I'll keep approaching the board every quarter to request it until they accept. I won't take it to the media, though. :D

Definitely putting a big sign over the exit to the team locker rooms with "Creatio ex Nihilo" for players to slap for luck on their way to the pitch.

I'm pretty sure that the current stadium was built a few years ago and building another stadium so soon is a bit too much. So I would prefer to keep asking to buy the current stadium.

Also, CABA

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Ex Nihilo posted:

I'm pretty sure that the current stadium was built a few years ago and building another stadium so soon is a bit too much. So I would prefer to keep asking to buy the current stadium.

If it makes any difference, the Racecourse Ground has been in use since 1807 (213 years) and used for soccer since 1864. The most recent renovation was 21 years ago, in 1999. But I did get the board to purchase the grounds, so that's actually completed if you want it. The other option is for me to keep nagging them to build a new stadium, as they won't go for that yet. Either way we'll likely be taking out long term loans to pay for it, stadiums can get expensive.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 1, 2014

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Obliterati posted:

This really surprised me as well. I've often leaked things to the press when the board is just being stubborn and they inevitably bend over backwards to accomodate: they've never complained, let alone fired me, and I don't have the same sort of legend status as Scott Brown does. The only thing I can think of is that the request was somehow literally impossible, as I've even seen the board take on loans to keep up with my relentless complaining about training facilities. But then, aren't we loaded?

We got the money to do it, and we are rising in popularity, so a new stadium isn't that outrageous. Guess the management isn't going to agree with a new stadium until we win the Premier League or something.

But to fire after complaining makes no sense. In-game glitch maybe?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

KDavisJr posted:

We got the money to do it, and we are rising in popularity, so a new stadium isn't that outrageous. Guess the management isn't going to agree with a new stadium until we win the Premier League or something.

We of the board are all the most decadent assholes imaginable. The moment something negative about us gets through our coke dream we overreact.

Seriously, in this game dealing with boards is a big issue. I was an icon at a club once. Club went through a board takeover and the media was reporting that the new management wanted to bring in their own manager and clear me out. I was an icon, having led the club up five levels. I managed to survive, I like to imagine because the supporters surrounded the new president's house with torches and signs that said "If Shadowing goes, we riot."

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Either way we'll likely be taking out long term loans to pay for it, stadiums can get expensive.

Remember Arsenal, so please just buy our stadium.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So basically, the board doesn't give a single poo poo about what you've done for the team, just what they want and if you pissed them off that morning (and odds are you piss them off just by existing).

Insert your own "just like real life" anecdote here, I suppose.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 1, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Sky Shadowing posted:

We of the board are all the most decadent assholes imaginable. The moment something negative about us gets through our coke dream we overreact.

Seriously, in this game dealing with boards is a big issue. I was an icon at a club once. Club went through a board takeover and the media was reporting that the new management wanted to bring in their own manager and clear me out. I was an icon, having led the club up five levels. I managed to survive, I like to imagine because the supporters surrounded the new president's house with torches and signs that said "If Shadowing goes, we riot."

I don't think it's a glitch. I badmouthed them to the press, picking the most aggressive option. They're a new board and at the time that likely wanted to show who was boss and didn't have a strong relationship with me. I hadn't updated my contract so it was cheap to fire me (paying out 7.5m to sack me would be a lot harder for the board to justify than paying out 60k). But still, I'm a club Legend (it doesn't get any higher than that) and it's a fan trust, so how in hell do these guys expect to keep their job come elections?

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

CVE posted:

B A B A.

Let's not blow all our load at once but rather build towards the future one step at a time.

This is the best possible solution.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

So wait do we own our stadium now or are we just going to bug the board until they cave and build us a new one?

If the latter can we edit our stadium so it is much older and would it improve the chances of the board accepting our request?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Electric Pope posted:

In addition to what habeasdorkus wrote, the first season in a league is often the easiest if you've prepared well.
There are two more-or-less parallel systems in the game that describe how good a player is - CA/PA and their attributes. AI managers in leagues being processed at lower detail seem to buy players based on how good they think their CA/PA is. Which is fine, because who cares what happens in a league you're not playing matches in?

The problem comes when you get promoted into a league. For example, it's very possible to have a high CA defender with lower-than-average Pace/Acceleration. High CA means gently caress all if a Striker can sprint past them onto a through-ball and score, and most people who play FM like having fast Strikers. The other thing that plays into this is that established teams in your new league will probably think they can beat your team easily and play attacking football with a high defensive line, leaving all the more space for your fast strikers to exploit.

What I've noticed is that after a season or so, AI managers tend to wise up to this and start bringing in players with more useful attribute spreads. They'll also probably be more familiar with your tactics and have a couple of tactical options to try to negate them. This can result in a second-season syndrome of fairly horrific proportions if you can't shake things up enough.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Zip! posted:

So wait do we own our stadium now or are we just going to bug the board until they cave and build us a new one?

If the latter can we edit our stadium so it is much older and would it improve the chances of the board accepting our request?

You can edit the stadium's maximum size, I believe: that's normally an invisible number, but the board knows it and factors that into the choice between new stadiums and upgrading old ones. We can change this if it turns out that we're already at the limit I guess?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

C A B A

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

KDavisJr posted:

Though Wrexham's tradition of excellence is meager, is it advisable to give it up in the pursuit of corporate greed? I say no! We must Refurbish the Racecourse Ground. If we are going be a monster, let us be Godzilla, not Mechagodzilla.

canti32
Apr 27, 2008

Fearless in Devotion, Rising to Promotion,
Rising to the ranks of mighty heroes, Fighting foes in every land,

History only tells a story, We are to see your glory,
Stand aside the Reds are coming,
WREXHAM IS THE NAME
DABA

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Zip! posted:

We're in the process of purchasing our current stadium.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The board wouldn't have fired you if you had not forced Sky Shadowing to resign :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does increased wage actually affect your avatar in the game? I.e. does it change your ability to perform as a coach, or is it just a roleplaying / vanity thing?

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Does increased wage actually affect your avatar in the game? I.e. does it change your ability to perform as a coach, or is it just a roleplaying / vanity thing?
It has no effect at all, except to drain the wage budget. So if anything a higher wage isn't great, though by the time you get to the kind of level where it's going to be megabastard level it's pretty much a drop in the bucket.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Torrannor posted:

The board wouldn't have fired you if you had not forced Sky Shadowing to resign :colbert:

I like the idea that the chaos of my usurpation caused a brief hiccup in space-time as the universe itself rebelled.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Revenant Threshold posted:

It has no effect at all, except to drain the wage budget. So if anything a higher wage isn't great, though by the time you get to the kind of level where it's going to be megabastard level it's pretty much a drop in the bucket.

Yep. I usually don't care, but since y'all are the board of directors it should be part of the LP. I just wish I could figure out a way to make it less one sided than me offering you options as to what my contract should be. Ideally it would be a negotiation, but that could take a lot of time and delay the updates.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

I'm going to vote BABA unless the in game board offers you more than £30 million in which case I'd go with that. I'd like to keep some of the challenge of a slightly tighter transfer budget and would prefer if the resources don't stray too much from what we'd get vanilla.

That said, I'm a sucker for us trying to build up a golden generation of Welsh talent so youth facilities ahoy!

Munin fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 1, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

habeasdorkus posted:

Yep. I usually don't care, but since y'all are the board of directors it should be part of the LP. I just wish I could figure out a way to make it less one sided than me offering you options as to what my contract should be. Ideally it would be a negotiation, but that could take a lot of time and delay the updates.

I'd imagine that if you got yourself a nice contract with a hilariously high release clause, it would give you some extra job security buffer, right?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Revenant Threshold posted:

I guess it would be funny if you could pour club funds into your Swiss account in exchange for score points, Tropico style. Or buy all sorts of luxury poo poo or no reason other than that you can. Why care if the club is doing well when you can be so decadent with all the football money.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

I guess it would be funny if you could pour club funds into your Swiss account in exchange for score points, Tropico style. Or buy all sorts of luxury poo poo or no reason other than that you can. Why care if the club is doing well when you can be so decadent with all the football money.
I vaguely recall other versions of the game actually keeping track of wages paid... but I could well be thinking about one of the other series games after the split, or FIFA Manager, or something like that.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

It does keep track. I've made 775k so far over the course of 7 seasons. That's enough for a good living, but it's hardly the type of luxury I'll be able to afford now that I'm being paid what I deserve.

dadgummit
Dec 14, 2012

like a baby's bottom, smooth and sometimes...
explosive
I'm going to vote CABA and really sternly request that we don't ever build a new stadium. Re-purchase it from Glyndŵr University, refurbish the hell out of it, whatever, but don't demolish it. Racecourse Ground is the oldest football stadium that still hosts international matches, hosting a match between Scotland and Wales back in 1877. It would be like Fulham demolishing Craven Cottage. You just don't do that poo poo, man.

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
If you guys destroy the Racecourse I will find a way to demolish you.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

We're in the process of buying the Racecourse Ground, the board had no interest in building a stadium themselves.

Ex Nihilo
Jul 31, 2013

Saviour of Wrexham

habeasdorkus posted:

If it makes any difference, the Racecourse Ground has been in use since 1807 (213 years) and used for soccer since 1864. The most recent renovation was 21 years ago, in 1999. But I did get the board to purchase the grounds, so that's actually completed if you want it. The other option is for me to keep nagging them to build a new stadium, as they won't go for that yet. Either way we'll likely be taking out long term loans to pay for it, stadiums can get expensive.

Well if it has that sort of history, it would be a shame to move. For the boon, I'll stick to ownership of the grounds.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ex Nihilo posted:

Well if it has that sort of history, it would be a shame to move. For the boon, I'll stick to ownership of the grounds.

I say that Ex Nihilo should be made an honorary member of the team and receive lifetime tickets to see all the games personally.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 06:33 on May 2, 2014

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Voting closes in less than 3 hours, and it's a tight question on the budget. If no individual option wins a majority I'm determining the transfer budget proportionally. Right now option C (40m) has 19 votes, Option B (32m) has 9, Option D (50m) has 8, and Option A (25m) has 1. If the votes stand Option C wins in a squeaker, but a vote for any other will have some effect on the budget.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

19 votes?!

BABA by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
CABA We may not Champion's League yet, but one spot off of Europa our first season up is a good sign and with the ability to keep and get more young talent we should be able to at least breaek in I hope.

• Locked thread