Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

What's the earliest 100% phys block normal shield? I'm running a hex + mace build and don't really want to invest a ton of str to use that greatshield in the shop.

The drangliec shield after you kill the pursuer

Alternatively old knights drop their shield but it requires 24 strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

What's the earliest 100% phys block normal shield? I'm running a hex + mace build and don't really want to invest a ton of str to use that greatshield in the shop.

Drangleic shield. You find it near where you can fight the Pursuer with ballista.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

What a weird fight, everyone has Gower's Ring equipped.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How much damage does the Ancient Dragon loving do? I've died to him 3 times and each one has been an OHKO from full HP. Is that his gimmick? Having easy as hell attacks to avoid but if you mess up even once its back to the bonfire? This just seems like a big fat "gently caress you completionists".

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

How much damage does the Ancient Dragon loving do? I've died to him 3 times and each one has been an OHKO from full HP. Is that his gimmick? Having easy as hell attacks to avoid but if you mess up even once its back to the bonfire? This just seems like a big fat "gently caress you completionists".

Get Gower's ring and face away from him and you're invincible. Bring some repair powders and probably a bracing knuckle ring.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

A few things, for the thread.

1) I like to play music/watch movies in a browser while playing DS. But every time I summon/get summoned the sound goes way down and I have to manually turn it up by the mixer. It naturally goes back up after the online session ends. Is there some way around this?

2) I am paranoid about my stats. If you will forgive the wordplay, I feel dumb not putting anything at all into Int, even though I am making a mace-and-shield knight with faith lightning bolts. Is there a minimum value the stats should have?

http://i.imgur.com/DxcycnW.jpg

3) gently caress Old Iron King.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

His flame attack from the air is just an instant kill. Run towards his tail if he flies up, or stay under him and he probably won't do it. He will still break fire on you though.

The Crusher
Aug 13, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE NEKOMIMI CLIFFYB

Reason posted:

How do you get out to the items on the hot rocks in Iron Keep? I thought maybe they'd cool after I killed the boss, but no, I tried rolling in water and running out to them and I still die pretty quick.

Flash sweat and roll into the vases with water in them. Being dowsed with water greatly reduces the damage.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Just got the Channeler's Trident. Today is a good day.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I am paranoid about my stats. If you will forgive the wordplay, I feel dumb not putting anything at all into Int, even though I am making a mace-and-shield knight with faith lightning bolts. Is there a minimum value the stats should have?

http://i.imgur.com/DxcycnW.jpg

here are the points where stats start giving diminishing returns. get endurance to 20 and then don't bother putting anymore points into it. strength to 40. could get dex to at least 18 so you can use some of the cooler late game weapons like the Pursuer's Greatsword or Curved Dragon Greatsword. a lot of people say that adaptability at at least 20 is a must for a melee character.

don't be paranoid about your stats, though. there are 6 soul vessels per playthrough that you can use to respec by going back to the old ladies in Things Betwixt.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there more than one place to do rat bro pvp? Someone in IRC told me there was another place to potentially talk to the rat king.

Also, what is the spell or item that causes me to get poisoned just standing near a dude? I beat this dude with butterfly wings but I was constantly getting poisoned during the ordeal.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Reason posted:

How do you get out to the items on the hot rocks in Iron Keep? I thought maybe they'd cool after I killed the boss, but no, I tried rolling in water and running out to them and I still die pretty quick.

For me, it took wearing full Smelter Demon armor, having 1600 HP, Flash Sweat, rolling in water, Flame Quartz Ring +1, and a Dispelling Ring and I just barely survived. Other people have reported success with just Flash Sweat, rolling in water, and 1k HP, so good luck figuring it out!

e: ^ the butterfly set does the poisoning.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Is there anyone available to help me fight the 3 giants under the rotten? I've been going at it for over an hour with no chance of beating them and everyone I summon leaves when they find out we aren't going to the rotten. the range I can summon is 68 to 104, with a SL of 353 - 589.

I can put on the ring to target a summon or just wait for a sign.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Well pvp's now a mostly non-starter for me (maybe I'll do blue sentinels, is that decent at 1.5 mil? Ugh.) but pve's great! I just helped a guy beat the smelter demon with the power of great resonant soul. Sure I miss out on six thousand souls, but who cares? I crushed that nerd.

quote:

Is there anyone available to help me fight the 3 giants under the rotten?

It's only two if you go solo. I'd try but I'm outside that summon range, sorry.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

His flame attack from the air is just an instant kill. Run towards his tail if he flies up, or stay under him and he probably won't do it. He will still break fire on you though.

Literally all of his attacks are an instant kill on me :cripes: And he's going to take an eternity to kill. This might be the boss that finally makes me say gently caress it and give up on beating them all. He's not even fun to die too. Everything about this is so loving terrible.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

scamtank posted:

I don't think so, actually.

If you stand in place after getting up, they don't care about you. This means you can take a shortbow +1 and plug two of them with a wooden arrow each before heading off the last one with a single longsword slash. The rest of the room is trivial.

Not true. I've had them follow me into the cell multiple times after teleporting.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dongsweep posted:

Is there anyone available to help me fight the 3 giants under the rotten? I've been going at it for over an hour with no chance of beating them and everyone I summon leaves when they find out we aren't going to the rotten. the range I can summon is 68 to 104, with a SL of 353 - 589.

I can put on the ring to target a summon or just wait for a sign.

Go to Doors of Pharos and buy some poison arrows, those dudes are really easy to snipe because they can't walk all the way up to you. If you run straight through the room they're in there's also another sniper spot. If you go by yourself there are only two of them.

Internet Kraken posted:

Literally all of his attacks are an instant kill on me :cripes: And he's going to take an eternity to kill. This might be the boss that finally makes me say gently caress it and give up on beating them all. He's not even fun to die too. Everything about this is so loving terrible.

I'm not kidding about this:

A.C. posted:

Get Gower's ring and face away from him and you're invincible. Bring some repair powders and probably a bracing knuckle ring.

It literally makes you completely immune to his damage and is the usual AD cheese strat.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
Im on my first playthrough and am going towards a war wizard style of play. Str/int build. Anyone else doing it and like/dislike it?

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Thanks guys, I'll give the sniping bit a try.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Is there more than one place to do rat bro pvp? Someone in IRC told me there was another place to potentially talk to the rat king.

Also, what is the spell or item that causes me to get poisoned just standing near a dude? I beat this dude with butterfly wings but I was constantly getting poisoned during the ordeal.

It's the butterfly equipment. You get it from a chest in the armorer's shop in Majula, but only in new game++. You can get it with bonfire ascetics, but the skeletons in the mansion's basement multiply each time so be careful.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

When is the magic mace going to stop being a miserable disappointment compared to the regular version? I tried casting magic weapon on it but it still does less damage than the regular mace.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

dis astranagant posted:

When is the magic mace going to stop being a miserable disappointment compared to the regular version? I tried casting magic weapon on it but it still does less damage than the regular mace.

When you have less str - the mace has great Str scaling and the magic mace loses some of its Str scaling. If your Str is high (even, like, 30+), uninfused will outdamage it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

A.C. posted:

It literally makes you completely immune to his damage and is the usual AD cheese strat.

I don't want to put another area into NG+ just to deal with one bullshit boss. If I was going to cheese I'd just rather not fight it.

I just don't get what to do about his flame attack if he sits near a ledge. At the beginning of the fight when he's in the center its fine. Then after minutes of stabbing his toes repeatedly, he's moved over to the edge of the arena. Then if he uses his fire I have no clue where to run for safety. Normally I go under his tail but that doesn't work when he's flying over the ledge.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

A few things, for the thread.

1) I like to play music/watch movies in a browser while playing DS. But every time I summon/get summoned the sound goes way down and I have to manually turn it up by the mixer. It naturally goes back up after the online session ends. Is there some way around this?

In your sound options (as in, your computer's sound options in your control panel,) go to "communications" and change it to "do nothing" instead of reduce by 80% or 50% or whatever it defaults to.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A.C. posted:

When you have less str - the mace has great Str scaling and the magic mace loses some of its Str scaling. If your Str is high (even, like, 30+), uninfused will outdamage it.

My str is barely enough to equip it at all. 12 str, 16 int, 14 faith. Was planning on switching to whatever dark weapon I find first but now I'm starting to wonder what the point is.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Probably old, but I just came across a page on the wiki on cut content.

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/unused-content

The most interesting are two cut Illusory rings, two talismans to disguise yourself as a chest and a corpse, respectively, and some cut dialogue from the Emerald Herald that probably would have made the plot a tiny bit clearer.

e: Nasha also has a lot of cut dialogue that would have made things a lot more obvious. Guess they chose to make it more confusing on purpose.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 2, 2014

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Should I go to NG+ if I wanna get summoned as a high level bellbro? I'm in regular NG and I'm not getting many bites.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got summoned by a ratbro last night. Which might have ended in my death, except that earlier, I'd found a large club. :getin:

Nothing quite as satisfying as giving your opponent a closeup view of the mud.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

How much damage does the Ancient Dragon loving do?

All of it. It's technically survivable with enough fire resist, but you should go in assuming every blast is a one-hit-kill. Killing him is about trapping him in a loop of attacks that you find trivial to avoid.

He is the worst boss in the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

aegof posted:

All of it. It's technically survivable with enough fire resist, but you should go in assuming every blast is a one-hit-kill. Killing him is about trapping him in a loop of attacks that you find trivial to avoid.

Want to know how to completely cheese him? Use ascetics on the forked road shaded woods bonfire. Each time go into the misty woods and grab the Gower's Ring of protection. Equip it, and whenever he does the fire attack just turn your back. Use repair powder to fix the damage to the ring, and switch to another if it breaks.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

aegof posted:

I think Darklurker is currently worse for me since I've killed the prick 3 times yet died to one last magic blast that he shot during his death animation.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So oddly, standing in the blue cathedral is getting me stuff like mad now. I just got into a mexican standoff with a havel and a red hexer invader. The hexer played me, and killed me moments before I could kill the havel host. :v:

e: Fire Whip is great.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

aegof posted:

Yeah I'm not dealing with this poo poo. I have a limit when it comes to bullshit design choices, and Ancient Dragon has hit it. It embodies everything I hate about Dark Souls; one shot kills, enormous pools of hp, pathetically slow and predictable attacks, and an obnoxious run from the bonfire to the boss itself. Fighting him isn't fun, and it isn't worth the satisfaction of beating every boss in the game either. Because as far as I'm concerned, this guy shouldn't exist in the first place.

gently caress, I was enjoying the end game so much and this rear end in a top hat had to go and kill all my momentum.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This just seems like a big fat "gently caress you completionists".

Ancient Dragon is nowhere near a "gently caress you completionists" boss and there are tons of strategies to fight him ranging from cheesing him to legitimately avoiding his attacks/learning patterns like any other boss. THIS is the true "gently caress you completionists" part of the game.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I'm not dealing with this poo poo. I have a limit when it comes to bullshit design choices, and Ancient Dragon has hit it. It embodies everything I hate about Dark Souls; one shot kills, enormous pools of hp, pathetically slow and predictable attacks, and an obnoxious run from the bonfire to the boss itself. Fighting him isn't fun, and it isn't worth the satisfaction of beating every boss in the game either. Because as far as I'm concerned, this guy shouldn't exist in the first place.

gently caress, I was enjoying the end game so much and this rear end in a top hat had to go and kill all my momentum.

To be fair aside from personal satisfaction there is essentially no reason to kill him.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Want to know how to completely cheese him? Use ascetics on the forked road shaded woods bonfire. Each time go into the misty woods and grab the Gower's Ring of protection. Equip it, and whenever he does the fire attack just turn your back. Use repair powder to fix the damage to the ring, and switch to another if it breaks.

I just stood between his back toes, he never did anything but try and step on me.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think Darklurker is currently worse for me since I've killed the prick 3 times yet died to one last magic blast that he shot during his death animation.

I lucked out on Darklurker by having it split into a Chaos Firestorm, but at least he seemed like an actual fight until then. The whole Abyss thing of requiring human effigies to try again annoyed me a lot, and I can see it becoming a real pain if you're not as lucky as I was. We'll see how it goes when my other characters get that far.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
So I joined the Dark Pilgrims, and did one abyss and deepened my devotion. Then I did the second and nothing happened. Then I did the third, killed Darklurker, and my devotion deepened, but only to level 2. Am I hosed out of my reward?

E: I teleported to another bonfire and talked to him and then it worked. I don't know.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 2, 2014

dirty nub
Jan 19, 2009

So is hexing only viable later in the game when you have souls to spare? I'm about sl70 now and went full sorcerer. I'm looking to mix things up a bit but the soul costs on many spells seem a bit high for me at the moment.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cicadalek posted:

So I joined the Dark Pilgrims, and did one abyss and deepened my devotion. Then I did the second and nothing happened. Then I did the third, killed Darklurker, and my devotion deepened, but only to level 2. Am I hosed out of my reward?

You rank up by beating one, all three, and finally the Darklurker. Talk to him again and it should be fine.

In fashion souls news, cool guys don't look at dragons.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

dirty nub posted:

So is hexing only viable later in the game when you have souls to spare? I'm about sl70 now and went full sorcerer. I'm looking to mix things up a bit but the soul costs on many spells seem a bit high for me at the moment.

Resonant Soul and Dark Orb are very solid. If 100 souls per cast is too much for you currently then save it for big enemies. Since you'll want to be leveling Int and Faith for hex builds, it's not a bad idea to keep Great Heavy Soul Arrow attuned for trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

You rank up by beating one, all three, and finally the Darklurker. Talk to him again and it should be fine.

In fashion souls news, cool guys don't look at dragons.

Is your head a marble?