Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
gently caress the Srine of Amana. gently caress it up its stupid rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

FrancoFish posted:

I am on the third bonfire and I agree. Looks nice though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elysiume posted:

It's decently fast for me, even with the chat widget.

Weird. The other 2 wikis load pretty much instantly but that one has like 15 second page loads if I'm lucky.

e: seems to be a Firefox issue. loads fine in Chrome.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 2, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Phoix posted:

Higher level PvP seems kind of terrible. It seems like there are two builds that exist. You max out your poise and use dual caestus to stunlock people or you spam GRS until one connects through the lag.

Coming from console so the meta's a little different, but there are like 32 builds.

It is still kind of terrible, sort of for the reasons you mentioned.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Elysiume posted:

It's decently fast for me, even with the chat widget.

That chat widget is like a ticker tape version of gamers.txt, but that wiki is probably the best reliable source of information and has concise walkthroughs of most areas.

I am feeling generous tonight so if anyone is in a starter zone and needs help from an ANGRY OLD MAN hit me up via Steam (araganzar42) or PM.

edit: ummm, you know that door above the bonfire in Forest of the Fallen Giants that takes a key to open? I just punched that and broke it down. So get your estus shards early there, folks.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 2, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I've been doing some pvp with the red soapstone (joined the bloodbros just to buy that and the invasion attracting ring before heading back to the Way of the Blue, here's hoping I can help a sentinel kill a dude) and a +9 Fire Murakumo will murder dudes.

Oddly, got summoned by a guy who I had earlier in the evening been sucked into his rat-dungeon. He's doing some grim reaper gimmick where he wears some black robe and the dark mask and starts off by standing around dual-handing his empty left fist and staring off the bridge into the distance. In the rat-dungeon I just murdered him as soon as I saw him, but when he summoned me from the soapstone I waited to see where he was going with it. Where he was going with it was lulling me into a false sense of security and then instantly poisoning me with Ricard's rapier. Fire Murakumo barely pulled me through that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hey, I finally got invaded by my first red phantom!

...At which point my 360 degree sweep missed while he right up against me not blocking, and I immediately got backstabed while he was standing dead in front of me. I even have cross-region disabled. :negative:

From, I love you but dear God, it's been three games of this poo poo now. Get somebody to help you make proper loving netcode.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

Hey, I finally got invaded by my first red phantom!

...At which point my 360 degree sweep missed while he right up against me not blocking, and I immediately got backstabed while he was standing dead in front of me. I even have cross-region disabled. :negative:

From, I love you but dear God, it's been three games of this poo poo now. Get somebody to help you make proper loving netcode.
But time and space are distorted in Drangleic! Proper netcode would go against the lore.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I killed a red crystal lizard and it didn't drop anything and won't respawn, what gives?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The red crystal lizard is a trap. It self-destructs if you get close and knocks you in the pit.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

The red crystal lizard is a trap. It self-destructs if you get close and knocks you in the pit.

Oh okay, good, that area was tedious enough without finding that out the hard way.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel like such an rear end in a top hat when I die as a sunbro. I know most players don't give a poo poo but I can't help but imagine every death being like this;

Except instead of a slow poison death its me getting oneshotted by the sorceress's forbidden sun.

This was me trying to do the Sentinels as a wizard last night.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm level 77ish, a STR user with a tower shield and, like, a +5 Blacksmith's hammer. How useful are Straid's weapons? Should I be buying one and using the rest of the souls? Are they useful?

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

FrancoFish posted:

That place is a joke if you remember that the bow+arrow exists.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

omg chael crash posted:

I'm level 77ish, a STR user with a tower shield and, like, a +5 Blacksmith's hammer. How useful are Straid's weapons? Should I be buying one and using the rest of the souls? Are they useful?

On the whole I've found them to be sadly disappointing, at least of the ones I sampled. The twinblade seemed cool at first, until I realized it was upgraded with a VERY rare item and that even at full strength its damage output was going to sit comfortably somewhere between gently caress and all.

I'm sure there's one or two gems in there, but nothing I've tried so far. Same goes for the other merchant later in Brightstone Cove who sells similar weapons.

tRIDAV
Jul 10, 2001

Oh, cruel fates, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones, it bones for thee.

omg chael crash posted:

I'm liking the Dragonrider Bow. Every other weapon I've tried has had insane stat requirements, weight or isn't for my spec.

The Chariot Lance looks pretty badass though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Is there anything that suggests what you want to infuse your armor and shields with? I'm guessing no, since I doubt defenses on shields/armor scale with your stats, and so it's basically what you want defenses against at the cost of being more vulnerable to everything else, right?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

SynthOrange posted:

This was me trying to do the Sentinels as a wizard last night.
I walked through the hole in the floor in Iron Keep because I fat-fingered the roll. It was like 10' after I got summoned, too.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

if you want a really good slash weapon with great scaling and insane upgrade potential the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword is absolutely worth getting. the only other one I've tried is the Smelter Greatsword which is a fun gimmick weapon but not super effective unless what you're fighting is weak to fire.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I got summoned to take down Rotten. While its HP goes to zero, the boss picked up the host and strangled him to death, then the boss died after the animation completed. I got nothing. :mad:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I just buy Straid's weapons and try them out. Yeah I'm losing out on some souls, but that's better than potentially missing a cool weapon that I'd actually use.

This philosophy has so far gotten me the Dragonrider Bow which is super good and a bunch of weapons that weren't really for me.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

I just buy Straid's weapons and try them out. Yeah I'm losing out on some souls, but that's better than potentially missing a cool weapon that I'd actually use.

This philosophy has so far gotten me the Dragonrider Bow which is super good and a bunch of weapons that weren't really for me.

yeah I'm gonna spend them on weapons eventually. the soul amounts are kinda trivial to me at this point, already being well over level 100 and not even at the third old soul yet.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Artificer posted:

Is there anything that suggests what you want to infuse your armor and shields with? I'm guessing no, since I doubt defenses on shields/armor scale with your stats, and so it's basically what you want defenses against at the cost of being more vulnerable to everything else, right?

If you want to infuse a shield, find one that's like 90% block of an element and infuse it with that. Then you can have a 100% dark/magic/etc shield for whenever that'd be useful. I can imagine a shield with a decent physical block and 100% fire block being useful against, say, Smelter.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

omg chael crash posted:

The problem with the boss weapons is that they're designed around getting most of their damage from upgrades but the ore for upgrading them is stupid rare.

A normal weapon will have double base damage at +10. A twinkling titanite weapon will have 1.5x base damage at its max of +5. But a boss weapon does 2.5x damage and will generally have lovely looking starting damage to compensate.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 2, 2014

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

Baron O Beefdip posted:

Is there any way to cheese the giant lord well? I can already tell this fight is garbage and bad and I don't want to deal with it.

Do you have magic? Run up the stairs left of him and stay there. He only makes two attacks. Dodge them and attack him with magic. Easiest fight in the game.
I farmed him up to NG8+ for souls.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

FutonForensic posted:

I got summoned to take down Rotten. While its HP goes to zero, the boss picked up the host and strangled him to death, then the boss died after the animation completed. I got nothing. :mad:

Seems to happen all the time with him. I once landed the killing blow a nanosecond after the host died from dodging an attack straight into one of the burning patches on the floor. :gonk: It's the worst feeling.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Sydin posted:

Seems to happen all the time with him. I once landed the killing blow a nanosecond after the host died from dodging an attack straight into one of the burning patches on the floor. :gonk: It's the worst feeling.
Back in DS1 I would frequently assist on Capra Damon. Even if the host got instantly killed, two fully boosted Great Chaos Fireballs would kill Capra, and I could cast them after the host died but before I got kicked out. Victory at any cost!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Dr. Carwash posted:

That place is a joke if you remember that the bow+arrow exists.

This is the key to the anime shrine. Just snipe everything from a distance. That place sucks anyway so don't feel guilty.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Alright gently caress this game, gently caress it. This is unforgiveable. gently caress this poo poo, seriously.

Look at this loving thing. Look at it, and be ashamed. Look at it. LOOK AT IT!

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Plot stuff:

The entire journey was pointless and the cycle will always repeat? Also did Vendrick just decide to go comatose or was there something that happened?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

aegof posted:

If you want to infuse a shield, find one that's like 90% block of an element and infuse it with that. Then you can have a 100% dark/magic/etc shield for whenever that'd be useful. I can imagine a shield with a decent physical block and 100% fire block being useful against, say, Smelter.

How much physical resistance do you tend to lose by doing something like infusing a 100% physical block shield with another element?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

So are there any weapons that aren't viable to the end of the game? I'm not talking about dumb poo poo like the ladle theoretically being able to take down bosses, I'm talking about just straight up bad weapons.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

I am bad at fashion souls. Ignore me.
I hear there's stuff before NG+. Do I just wait for the credits to finish?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Baron O Beefdip posted:

I am bad at fashion souls. Ignore me.
I hear there's stuff before NG+. Do I just wait for the credits to finish?

Go talk to everyone in Majula, there might be some loose ends. Also go do all of the Giant Memories that you probably forgot about.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Artificer posted:

How much physical resistance do you tend to lose by doing something like infusing a 100% physical block shield with another element?

Infuse your rebel greatshield that you spent so long trying to get :colbert:

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Azuth0667 posted:

Plot stuff:

The entire journey was pointless and the cycle will always repeat? Also did Vendrick just decide to go comatose or was there something that happened?

Basically! You were told from the beginning that you would undertake this journey without knowing exactly why, and the same thing was happening to everyone else, forgetting what they were doing. Vendrick didn't so much "decide" to go comatose as he lost himself the same way you have and will. The entire theme of the game is the cyclic nature of history and how everything rises and falls over and over.

It's also about how my Xanthous Crown is TOO loving SMALL.

OG Necromancer
Jan 20, 2014

Propaganda Hour posted:

Go talk to everyone in Majula, there might be some loose ends. Also go do all of the Giant Memories that you probably forgot about.

You mean there are more than two?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Azuth0667 posted:

Plot stuff:

Nashandra advised king vendrick that the giants were a threat, when vendrick went over to slaughter them all he discovered the soul arts (hence the golems that are powered by souls at drangleic castle), but this somehow led to being afflicted by the undead curse? So he basically hollowed and became that thing.

What I don't get is why a hollowed 'vendrick' is walking around while what is clearly the king's corpse is on the ground.

Caik
Oct 3, 2013

Baron O Beefdip posted:

You mean there are more than two?

As far as i know, there are 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Artificer posted:

Like 10%, last I checked. Not a lot, if you're using a 100% elemental shield against elemental attacks.

Azuth0667 posted:

Plot stuff:

Vendrick hollowed, hiding from Nashandra. For whatever reason, he didn't want the Throne of Want, and locked himself away in the Crypt. Without souls, he eventually hollowed, since that's what undead do.

And yeah, the cycle will probably keep going, as it always has.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nashandra advised king vendrick that the giants were a threat, when vendrick went over to slaughter them all he discovered the soul arts (hence the golems that are powered by souls at drangleic castle), but this somehow led to being afflicted by the undead curse? So he basically hollowed and became that thing.

What I don't get is why a hollowed 'vendrick' is walking around while what is clearly the king's corpse is on the ground.

He took his clothes off. That's just a pile of armor.