Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Heavy Metal is one of those movies where you know exactly what your opinion of it will be within 45 seconds of it starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Top Secret! is a lot of fun, it's worth it just for the bookstore scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuYTVl0iOkk
Top Secret! is worth it just for any one out of a dozen scenes. A bit more information for those who haven't heard of it: it's basically like Airplane!, but with Val Kilmer (in his first role) as the lead. Ostensibly it's a World War II spy movie but mostly it's just an excuse to make a zillion gags, from the hilarious opening credits and onward. If you want something goofy to watch and to test your knowledge of the occasionally dated '80s cultural reference, this is your jam.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
edit: nevermind.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Top Secret! is worth it just for any one out of a dozen scenes. A bit more information for those who haven't heard of it: it's basically like Airplane!, but with Val Kilmer (in his first role) as the lead. Ostensibly it's a World War II spy movie but mostly it's just an excuse to make a zillion gags, from the hilarious opening credits and onward. If you want something goofy to watch and to test your knowledge of the occasionally dated '80s cultural reference, this is your jam.

I kind of love how unashamed they are about not knowing what time period they belong in. It's a WWII spy drama about a late 50's rock icon. In WWII.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm surprised Odd Thomas is so polarizing. I liked it, though I could see people calling it "boring" or "mediocre" but outright "bad"? :shrug:

Looks like Clay Pigeons is up. Very good underrated late 90s indie flick with Vince Vaugn and Janeane Garofalo. It kinda reminded me of an even more underrated 90s indie flick, The Minus Man (which also had Janeane Garofalo).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I kind of love how unashamed they are about not knowing what time period they belong in. It's a WWII spy drama about a late 50's rock icon. In WWII.

It's East Germany, so after WW2! Although there are members of the French Resistance in there for some reason. Yeah it gets very confused. But it is still one of my all time favourites. So, so many gags.

I did not realize that was Kilmer's first role, he was so good in it.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

I thought Odd Thomas was pretty bad, but not unwatchable. It moves fast and I was never bored, but the whole thing reeks of a network TV movie; uninteresting cinematography and bland lighting, cheap but not incompetent CGI and a really weak screenplay. It was though it was intended to be made for the lowest common denominator from the very beginning.

I also got around to Mortified Nation. I found the off stage interviews to be repetitive, but the actual performances were great, often hilarious.

Oh, and everyone should see Short Term 12. It comes close to being the best film from 2013 I've seen so far, only just behind Blue Jasmine.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

priznat posted:

It's East Germany, so after WW2! Although there are members of the French Resistance in there for some reason. Yeah it gets very confused. But it is still one of my all time favourites. So, so many gags.

I did not realize that was Kilmer's first role, he was so good in it.

That's kind of what I'm saying though. It's East Germany, but during the War, and there's the French Resistance, but it's still East Germany. Also surf rock is a thing, but also skeet shooting. They just didn't give a gently caress and it's so very wonderful.

It's like one step removed from this. Note - :nws: for cartoon zebra wang.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There is a ton of background throwaway bits in Top Secret! too, it rewards multiple watches.

that giant watch

edit: I had seen that PBF comic before but I honestly never even noticed the zebra wang :lol:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

Oh, and everyone should see Short Term 12. It comes close to being the best film from 2013 I've seen so far, only just behind Blue Jasmine.

I finally saw both of those for the first time a week ago, and no one was exaggerating how good they are.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Hewlett posted:

I love The Innkeepers for exactly these reasons; the scene where Sarah Paxton is taking out the garbage is one of my favorite little comedy scenes in a horror movie.

This scene was so strange for me. I was watching this movie last October and noticed the logo on the side of the dumpster was "CWPM"; which stands for Connecticut Waste Paper Management. A Google search later and I realized the inn where this was filmed is about 25 minutes from my house. The ambulances at the end are all "Campion" (I went to high school with the Campion daighter, whose family owns that ambulance company).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I really liked The Innkeepers, and I think it's an overall better movie than The House of the Devil. It's slower, more character-based, but I really liked how down-to-earth the whole idea is. House of the Devil is more ominous an darker, but The Innkeepers has a charm the other one lacks. And I thought Sarah Paxton was awesome.

Also, Top Secret! is hilarious. If anyone was on the fence, "Weird Al" Yankovic boasts about it being his favorite movie. A

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I could have sworn Val Kilmer was already known from Real Genius and Top Gun before Top Secret! Was that really his first role?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Zwabu posted:

I could have sworn Val Kilmer was already known from Real Genius and Top Gun before Top Secret! Was that really his first role?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Franchescanado posted:

I really liked The Innkeepers, and I think it's an overall better movie than The House of the Devil. It's slower, more character-based, but I really liked how down-to-earth the whole idea is. House of the Devil is more ominous an darker, but The Innkeepers has a charm the other one lacks. And I thought Sarah Paxton was awesome.

Also, Top Secret! is hilarious. If anyone was on the fence, "Weird Al" Yankovic boasts about it being his favorite movie. A

I kind of like Innkeepers better too, except I think the flaws in it are just bigger and more noticeable than the ones in HotD. Those silly smash cuts in the last act (bathtub, basement stuff) are just too out of character for the rest of the movie and it kind of drags the whole thing down. That said, I like the main characters a lot and I think the trash scene, the piano scene and the bedroom scenes are all pretty great.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Zwabu posted:

It's a super impressive first role too. Singing, dancing, wacky comedy, even some romance in there... it's pretty nuts that they just took this unknown kid and made him the lead in their film, but it worked out really well.

So many gags!

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 2, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Top Secret! really grew on me. I didn't get it at all at first.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

I watched Swordsman II last night and it was great. Any recommendations for other fantasy/martial arts movies like that and Detective Dee and the Phantom Flame?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Tricky posted:

I watched Swordsman II last night and it was great. Any recommendations for other fantasy/martial arts movies like that and Detective Dee and the Phantom Flame?

Isn't there a Young Detective Dee movie?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Canned Panda posted:

Isn't there a Young Detective Dee movie?

There is, but it doesn't look like it's streaming anywhere other than Redbox Instant.

e: Or it's on Netflix streaming. Whoops. Looks great!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 2, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Top Secret! has influenced my life in so many ways. Any time any of my friends takes the back position of anything I still say "fine, be an rear end in a top hat" in a silly French accent.

Also "I want a schnauzer with my weinerschnitzel" makes its way into my conversations way more often than it should.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Top Secret was one of the first VHS tapes I owned as a kid, so I watched it over, and over again.

"Say, I know a little German..."

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Medullah posted:

Top Secret was one of the first VHS tapes I owned as a kid, so I watched it over, and over again.

"Say, I know a little German..."

Comedy Central used to play it 2-3 times a week when I was a kid. It's by the Zucker brothers, who directed Airplane!, Naked Gun 1-3 and BASEketball; all movies with nonstop sight gags and I believe they are on Netflix at the moment.

E: I'm also watching Narco Cultura, it's pretty :stare: It's about the culture surrounding narcotics in Mexico: a cop whose attitude is basically :fireman: and LA corridos, singers who write laudatory songs about the drug wars who haven't actually been to Mexico.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 2, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

The most :stare: thing about Narco Cultura is the mob boss cemetery full of mini mansion/masoleums. That was some surreal poo poo.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

red19fire posted:

Comedy Central used to play it 2-3 times a week when I was a kid. It's by the Zucker brothers, who directed Airplane!, Naked Gun 1-3 and BASEketball; all movies with nonstop sight gags and I believe they are on Netflix at the moment.

You forgot Spy Hard and Hot Shots one and Deux!. They're not on Netflix, but they are also very funny.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Twin Peaks is probably my new favorite show. It's wonderful. How did I miss this? I have no idea what the hell is going on but I love it. On episode 5 now of S1.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 3, 2014

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

Twin Peaks is probably my new favorite show. It's wonderful. How did I miss this? I have no idea what the hell is going on but I love it. On episode 5 now of S1.

If you don't know what's going on in season 1, season 2 is going to make your head explode.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Captain Mog posted:

People are going to tell you to stop watching after something major (you'll know it when it happens) occurs mid way through season 2.

You'll think "come on, it can't hurt to keep going" so you'll keep going.

Once you finish, you'll come back here and tell the next person to stop watching after something major happens mid way through season 2.

EDIT: and if some how you do stop at the right time, Twin Peaks will be one of your top 10 all time TV series. If you don't, it'll be somewhere in the top 20.

Fate Accomplice fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 3, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Ignore this man. The finale is one of the greatest things ever shown on tv.

That said, after "the event" mentioned above, if you skip every scene with James and Nadine and Little Nicky, you'll have a much better time with late S2.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
My favorite thing about the show thus far is how close everything is to absolutely hitting the fan. I feel like it's all building up to this cataclysmic occult event and from what I've heard from people who love TP, i'm right. I'm pretty pumped. Great way to spend a sick day.

The one thing that bugs me is why Shelly doesn't just break up with Leo. He's an irredeemable abusive bastard and she seems to get along with Bobby well enough. So why doesn't she tell him to get lost and leave? I also like Aubrey, for some reason, and think she's actually going to be the one to solve this mystery. She's probably the smartest one in the whole drat town.

I'm slowly starting to piece things together now near the end of episode 6. It seems to me that Laura either conjured up some entity or was communicating with some demonic entity that was feeding off of all the negativity in the town. People flock to Laura for one reason or the other, many of them with their problems, and Laura's mother also has some kind of psychic ability. Maybe she inherited her clairvoyance? I could be way off the mark, of course.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 3, 2014

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

That said, after "the event" mentioned above, if you skip every scene with James and Nadine and Little Nicky, you'll have a much better time with late S2.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
It's been a while since I've looked through Netflix. Is there any good Film Noir movies in there currently? I've watched through the parts of Twin Peaks that matter and I've watched a handful of what is listed under Film Noir (Fargo, Chinatown, The Usual Suspects, Reservoir Dogs, The Ice Harvest, Following. I've added The Long Goodbye to my list, but is there anything else there worth watching (or watching before the others)?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

regulargonzalez posted:

Posts like this is why I sat through the utter trash that is the second half of S2. The ending is good, they say. It's worth the pain, they say.

No. It's really not. I might have liked the S2 ending better if people hadn't hyped it up, but I was fairly disappointed and I really wished I had stopped after The Event.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

DeathSandwich posted:

It's been a while since I've looked through Netflix. Is there any good Film Noir movies in there currently? I've watched through the parts of Twin Peaks that matter and I've watched a handful of what is listed under Film Noir (Fargo, Chinatown, The Usual Suspects, Reservoir Dogs, The Ice Harvest, Following. I've added The Long Goodbye to my list, but is there anything else there worth watching (or watching before the others)?
Before you watch more neo-noir, maybe watch the good actual noir up there:
Double Indemnity
99 River Street
Scarlet Street
You Only Live Once
Raw Deal
Call Northside 777

Then you can also add Zodiac and In Bruges and Taxi Driver and The Conversation to your neo-noir list.

edit: also The Grifters for the neo-noir list.

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 4, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

From time to time I'll completely forget about Little Nicky and someone on the TP thread will bring it up and I'll be like, holy poo poo they actually did that storyline.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

DeathSandwich posted:

Just Another Love Story is one of the best neo-Noir, forget that one of the best movies in general, that I've seen. I don't want to oversell it because I hardly ever hear anyone talking about it and it may just be me, but I love this movie.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

david_a posted:

Posts like this is why I sat through the utter trash that is the second half of S2. The ending is good, they say. It's worth the pain, they say.

No. It's really not. I might have liked the S2 ending better if people hadn't hyped it up, but I was fairly disappointed and I really wished I had stopped after The Event.

The ending episode is super, super good and really visually striking, but it also doesn't really rely on having seen all of S2. Watch until S2's 'event', then watch the finale. It's kind of amazing that something like that was ever shown on TV.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

cat doter posted:

The ending episode is super, super good and really visually striking, but it also doesn't really rely on having seen all of S2. Watch until S2's 'event', then watch the finale. It's kind of amazing that something like that was ever shown on TV.

Welll, but then you'll be wondering who the gently caress Annie and Windom Earle are, and why Audrey, Pete and whatshername are at the bank, etc

S2 post-event isn't *that* bad, as long as you skip the scenes I mentioned above. I actually liked the main plot.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I've been on a "laugh at lovely science" kick lately. What movies have the worst science :techno:?

I just saw Category 8 and literally not one thing that happens is a thing, or even a disbelief-suspendable thing. I was laughing the whole way through!

I mean, drat, the first 10 minutes is a rock-solid lump of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also ignore the people who say not to watch Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me because it's one of my favorite Lynch films, gently caress the haters t:mad:t

• Locked thread