Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
Yeah, I meant wheel. My biggest problem was loving with the brake and keeping that in position while fighting the tire that doesn't want to come out of the swingarm.

As for the handling I remember reading some people sperg about whether or not helps/hinder traction. Being able to fall in faster is what I like so much about my new tires :v:

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Does anybody have experience with the EBC MXS pads? I put a set on the DRZ for this season and they feel kinda weird. It could be a master cylinder problem but I'm just curious if anyone has first hand experience with them. All the reviews I've read are great, but the brakes just feel like they're not performing very well. Maybe the pad compound is bad for street use and needs to get heated up before it works well but I'm not sure.

Also I rode my buddy's somewhat worked-over VFR750 today. It was hilarious going back to the DRZ, it's basically a bicycle.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 28, 2014

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the EBC MXS 185's on mine and they feel fine to me. If I had to pick something to say, I would say that as far as initial bite is concerned, they dont bite that hard with just little bits of lever pull, which might be what feels weird to you. The braking force does go up rapidly with more lever pressure, however, and I have never felt like mine would not stop me adequately. I would say that the stock pads grab harder initially, but their braking force flattens out as you apply pressure, whereas the EBC's have more of a progressive grab as pressure is applied.

Also bear in mind that I have a Brembo master cylinder, so we are going to have slightly different experiences with the same pads.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
That describes what's going on for me, exactly. The initial bite isn't as hard as the OEM pads but after that they feel good. I dropped a clip on the needle yesterday and holy poo poo did it make a difference. Now I need to re-time the accelerator pump that I hosed with because I thought it was causing my part throttle issues.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Yerok posted:

That describes what's going on for me, exactly. The initial bite isn't as hard as the OEM pads but after that they feel good. I dropped a clip on the needle yesterday and holy poo poo did it make a difference. Now I need to re-time the accelerator pump that I hosed with because I thought it was causing my part throttle issues.

Good to hear. I'm pretty sure my bike is slightly rich all across the throttle range. I'm going to start with the needle clip and go from there. Pumper carb here too. Did you aim the pump output?

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Good to hear. I'm pretty sure my bike is slightly rich all across the throttle range. I'm going to start with the needle clip and go from there. Pumper carb here too. Did you aim the pump output?

I never moved the direction of the actual nozzle from stock, if that's what you're asking. I just adjusted the timing. To be honest I didn't know that rotating the nozzle was a thing until it came up in some harley forum when I was googling AP issues.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
is it worth 'tardin an 06 yz250f, for track and racing fun?

seems like a legit, and fairly priced covnersion kit, firends have experience with them (all positive).
http://www.toxicmotoracing.com/shop/conversion-kits/34-economy-supermoto-conversion.html

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I think the only issue will probably be the suspension being a bit soft, but I don't have direct experience with converting a 250 four stroke. I guess even that is easily fixable.

Incursus
Sep 17, 2012

NOTHING LIKE HAVING THE BEST OEGAMIOM IN THE WORLD EVERYDAY!
Gonna be listing my 2008 Husqvarna sm610 on SMJ and CL soon if any goonies want first dibs on it. Based out of Indianapolis. About 9.5k to 10k miles. Up-Tite exhaust with plug/jumper, JD jetting (FI), just replaced cam chain, sprockets (one down in front), and drive chain, all maintenance records on hand for break in period, and always fed a steady flow of oil changes whether it needs it or not. :airquote:Never rode hard:airquote: and never wheelied :mmmhmm:

Probably gonna be asking around 4800 to 5000.

Incursus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 30, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Well it's official. I am now the terrified and excited owner of a new 2014 DRZ400SM.

I got to go see it in person while signing off on final documents at the dealership and man it is so pretty. I was terrified by its idle rev noise because my brain was all "dam that is not a CRF 230"

Hopefully I can pick it up before the weekend and get to breaking in the engine (a process which I still don't really get)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Niiiice, I like those blue wheels on the new ones.

Break in procedure: don't hold it at a constant rpm for long, vary the throttle, change the oil when the manual says to. That's it. Drz motors are tough units, it will be fine.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It'll be pretty tame with stock everything. Just remember to cover the rear brake for when you're trying to get it to 12 o'clock next weekend.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Also, it's too late since you bought new (Congrats by the way!) but you can find drat near anything (excepting wheels - those usually stay pretty expensive and sell quick) used for DRZ's. Don't feel like you're obligated to pay full price for aftermarket stuff. Dig around Thumpertalk classifieds and SupermotoJunkie, etc. and you can find some deals on parts.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

2014 DRZ?

gently caress you KTM

There is one 690 SMC on craigslist right now. A 2010. Price? $8,000.

:(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Seems pretty reasonable. :smug:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
About how many miles do you guys think is necessary for the piston seal break-in? Am I really gonna have to do this constant revving/downshifting oscillation style of riding for 600 miles?

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Razzled posted:

About how many miles do you guys think is necessary for the piston seal break-in? Am I really gonna have to do this constant revving/downshifting oscillation style of riding for 600 miles?

To properly ride like a sumo hooligan, you will want to do that on every corner forever :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

If you bought your drz with the intent of NOT constantly revving and downshifting, you may be disappointed...

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you bought your drz with the intent of NOT constantly revving and downshifting, you may be disappointed...

I guess I'm just not really understanding how to maximize the potential of my bike in this break in period. Really the only thing that kind of bothers me is the "don't idle" part. There aren't many country roads around where I live so I'm gonna be doing this on the highway and streets

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
You seem to be really stuck on this.

Just ride normally, and don't take any long trips for the first 600 miles :confused: what's the problem?

And ok, try not to lug it, if you can help it.
And don't wail on it before the engine has warmed.

But you should be doing those things anyways, so again, ride normally!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Just ride the drat thing

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

:feelsgood:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Get rid of those rubbers for your feetsies more grip for jumps and wheelies.

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
Cycle Asylum > The SuperMotard Thread: No Feetsies allowed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Razzled posted:

I guess I'm just not really understanding how to maximize the potential of my bike in this break in period. Really the only thing that kind of bothers me is the "don't idle" part. There aren't many country roads around where I live so I'm gonna be doing this on the highway and streets

I think you're overthinking it. Dont go for a 30 mile ride where you hold the throttle at the exact same RPM the whole time.

Basically if you just ride the thing it will be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does it? I just put a new chain and sprockets on mine (yay +3 in the rear) and I was thinking about just leaving the cover off alltogether and just using the stock case guard that goes under the cover

e: ugh double post

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Get rid of those rubbers for your feetsies more grip for jumps and wheelies.

Yeah I moved from riding a 2006 bareback, to a 2011 with rubbers. The rubbers feel weird :v:

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does it? I just put a new chain and sprockets on mine (yay +3 in the rear) and I was thinking about just leaving the cover off alltogether and just using the stock case guard that goes under the cover

e: ugh double post

When you say "case guard" I'm assuming you mean the chain guide that prevents the chain from smashing the case if (when!?) the chain breaks.

Since those two 8mm bolts go through the sprocket cover and the chain guide, then without the sprocket cover you'll need shorter bolts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epalm posted:

When you say "case guard" I'm assuming you mean the chain guide that prevents the chain from smashing the case if (when!?) the chain breaks.

Since those two 8mm bolts go through the sprocket cover and the chain guide, then without the sprocket cover you'll need shorter bolts.

Yeah, I figured I could just replace them with some shorter stainless allen bolts, get that rad open chain look, and make the output shaft nut easy to check for looseness all in one.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Does anyone have a concrete opinion on the DRC edge2 tail lights? I need replacements for my OEM setup but I don't want anything that is overtly unsafe because it's hard to see. Is the +$80 12oclocks upgrade board necessary to bring it into the realm of safety?

Also can you use the stock blinkers with it?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The edge and the edge 2 are the same exact light. The edge 2 is just universal fit, whereas the edge 1 can be ordered with mounts specifically for certain bikes.

The Edge lights are bright enough to be seen easily during the day. I'd argue that they're brighter than the stock DRZ tail light. You can use the stock DRZ blinkers with it. They look goofy, but they're tough as hell, so that's hard to argue with.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The edge and the edge 2 are the same exact light. The edge 2 is just universal fit, whereas the edge 1 can be ordered with mounts specifically for certain bikes.

The Edge lights are bright enough to be seen easily during the day. I'd argue that they're brighter than the stock DRZ tail light. You can use the stock DRZ blinkers with it. They look goofy, but they're tough as hell, so that's hard to argue with.

I have an Edge 1 with stock blinkers and I'm pretty happy with the setup. The light output is pretty good and the blinkers might look goofy but holy poo poo do they take a beating.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Razzled posted:

Does anyone have a concrete opinion on the DRC edge2 tail lights? I need replacements for my OEM setup but I don't want anything that is overtly unsafe because it's hard to see. Is the +$80 12oclocks upgrade board necessary to bring it into the realm of safety?

I put the DRC Edge 2 and this Custom LED brake light modulator in my 625 SMC after nearly getting rear ended.

http://www.customled.com/products/magic-strobes-brake-light-flasher

The Edge 2 seemed pretty darn bright to me, and the brake light modulator seemed like a good addition. I had it set to do 3 fast blinks, hold, and repeat. It can do some rave-level-flashing patterns, but I thought those might startle whoever is following me more than just alert them that I am braking.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
My wife almost rear ended a guy being a dong on a sportbike that had a flasher. Being bright out, and a lovely LED tail, it looked like just normal sunlight flashes.

Real talk: how dumb would I be to commute every day on a drz? Like 90% highway, roughly 60mi roundtrip. I feel like I already know the answer, but gently caress. I want one.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

On a KTM not bad because that 6th gear. DRZ would probably suck but who knows.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

iwentdoodie posted:

My wife almost rear ended a guy being a dong on a sportbike that had a flasher. Being bright out, and a lovely LED tail, it looked like just normal sunlight flashes.

Real talk: how dumb would I be to commute every day on a drz? Like 90% highway, roughly 60mi roundtrip. I feel like I already know the answer, but gently caress. I want one.

I commute most every day, but it's a 30mi round trip on a 60mph highway. The bike does it just fine, but there are better options out there.

Be prepared to buy lots of tires.

fakeedit: I got caught by a train today. It's nice being able to just hop the median and burn off in the other direction while everyone else is stuck.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 6, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Razzled posted:

I used the R&G Tail Tidy, highly recommended.

Looks like this.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I used the R&G Tail Tidy, highly recommended.

Looks like this.

If you ever plan to ride in the rain don't scrap the OEM tailpiece, all those tail tidy ones mean you will have a brown line of road dirt up your back every time you ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

iwentdoodie posted:

The bike will be fine. I personally dont mind 5-speed bikes on the highway, and the DRZ likes to rev anyway. Learn to use the wind blast to hold yourself up a bit and take weight off your arms and wrists. Dont go into full tuck idiot mode. If you're not comfortable with standing up at freeway speed, either get a different seat, or get comfortable standing up, because thats a lifesaver once your rear end starts to hurt.

I did a 40-mile round trip commute for a couple years, first on an XL250, then on a DRZ, so the DRZ was a big upgrade as far as highway riding went. Either way, I was always fine with it. I think I'm weird though, because I never have problems with bikes that others dont like on the highway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

iwentdoodie posted:

Unrelated, but I can't imagine having a 20 mile round trip commute, much less a 60 mile commute. I've found that my quality of life is best when I have somewhere between a 1 and 3 mile commute -- around 15 minutes on a good day. How do people do it?

• Locked thread