Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Gus Hobbleton posted:

That's the way it works. There are two areas in the game that are the Rat King's turf. If you walk into that area in your world, you can be summoned by someone in that covenant. The goal is to make it to the bonfire at the end while fighting the other player and his buddies and traps. If you win, you get a lockstone. If he wins, he gets a lockstone and a rat tail which is used to upgrade his covenant rank.

*EDIT*
It would be better if I could summon people to my Fun House with proper giant head gear but NOOOOOOOO.

I actually didn't realise until I did it on PC this time (after failing the couple of times I was summoned on PS3) but getting the end actually leaves you by the bonfire at the boss door, skipping the whole Grave of Saints. Which was. Ice, actually, all I had to do was race through the players world to the fog door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

You can normally do that without having to deal with a player though

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Noxville posted:

I actually didn't realise until I did it on PC this time (after failing the couple of times I was summoned on PS3) but getting the end actually leaves you by the bonfire at the boss door, skipping the whole Grave of Saints. Which was. Ice, actually, all I had to do was race through the players world to the fog door.

Well, you're not really skipping it are you? You're just running through it, only this time without any treasure, and with a homicidal player trying to murder you and a ton of extra traps.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
The twisted nature of Lordran makes both prevailing theories of the Chosen Undead possible.

For more a in depth Dark Souls II plot synopsis Click here :siren:warning spoilers:siren:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So I'm rocking full Havel garb now with the Dragon Tooth, and its kinda lovely. I'm 50 str, is there any sort of Infusion I should consider for the Dragon tooth? Its scaling is a D in strength, would Raw work well on it?

Also god drat, the Giant memories are hard when you're a tanky guy vs two big dudes at once. I ended up running past a few encounters in the Dragon shrine even, just due to not being able to get a counter-swing in vs two foes at once.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Ganking bellbros with a buddy on skype is the best thing. Having him stunlock with rapiers and me smashing down powerstanced ultra greatswords on some poor schmuck never gets old.

Does anyone know why Gavlan says "Gavlan wheel" by the way? Is it some accent thing I'm missing or some interpretation of "wheel" that has just flown over my head?

3D GAY WORLD
May 15, 2007

Foxhound posted:

Ganking bellbros with a buddy on skype is the best thing. Having him stunlock with rapiers and me smashing down powerstanced ultra greatswords on some poor schmuck never gets old.

Does anyone know why Gavlan says "Gavlan wheel" by the way? Is it some accent thing I'm missing or some interpretation of "wheel" that has just flown over my head?

I'm guessing it's a nod to the phrase "Wheelin' and Dealin'"

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Bells bells BELLS BELLS BELLS

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Studio posted:

You can normally do that without having to deal with a player though

Well I usually kill everything everywhere

Just surprised because I thought it always dropped you right where you were.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Most underwhelming final boss fight goes to...

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
The thing about Nashandra is she is pretty explicitly a piece of manus that grew back after the original chosen undead killed him. All of the weapons you make with her soul say this. She showed up out of nowhere and became the queen of drangleic because of an insatiable need for power, the thing she sent Vendrick across the sea for was the lordvessel. I think the throne of want was a peering chamber Vendrick originally used to peer into the essence of the soul aka the 4 lord souls of incredible power that were left in it. The evidence to back that up is the 4 big souls in this game become the 4 souls from the first game in NG+. Nothing else from a lore standpoint makes much sense as far as those go. He may have transferred the majority of the power into the throne of want as his peering chamber, handed the 4 lord souls out to who eventually become the old 4, and discarded the now dead lordvessel. The broken shards of the lordvessel may or may not be laying around in the basement of the mansion, or something that just happens to look like a giant golden broken bowl with fancy carvings in the side. Nashandra wanted an undead to come by and fight their way to the throne so she could just slide in and use it, whether or not it still DOES anything I'm skeptical.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

bef posted:

Most underwhelming final boss fight goes to...

Fallout 3

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Foxhound posted:

Look up the phrase "wheel and deal".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Holy poo poo. How do you even do Black gulch. I step into this cave and jsut get instantly poisoned and stunlocked into oblivion. Arrows don't break the statues so what am I even supposed to do?

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Holy poo poo. How do you even do Black gulch. I step into this cave and jsut get instantly poisoned and stunlocked into oblivion. Arrows don't break the statues so what am I even supposed to do?

Run all the way through to near the fog wall, then take a right. There's a small ledge you can walk on that takes you to a cave with a bonfire in it MUCH closer to the wall.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nuebot posted:

[]Hit them at appropriate angles with a weapon (possibly long ranged, like a spear)
[]Roll through them
[]Use a ton of life gems
[]Use a ton of poison curing items
[]Run through them

Edit: I expect to see your solution checked off later in the thread :colbert:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Use a spare weapon to break the statues as you go. Or light the torch and use that to smash them because it doesnt have any durability to worry about.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is Heavenly Thunder any good? So far I'm unimpressed, thought it was going to be like Soul Spear Barrage but maybe there's some trick to it.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
It took me so long to do the archer part before smelter demon that the enemies in the castle before it stopped respawning. I'm loving ashamed.

Then I beat him the first try by summoning Lucatiel and shooting arrows from a corner.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
What do I need to look at to determine which casting implement is better?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I loving hate those ratlions in the gutter

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Studio posted:

[]Hit them at appropriate angles with a weapon (possibly long ranged, like a spear)
[]Roll through them
[]Use a ton of life gems
[]Use a ton of poison curing items
[]Run through them

Edit: I expect to see your solution checked off later in the thread :colbert:

All of the above with a healthy heaping of tears as I fought the giants using nothing but poison arrows because all my other items are broken and I'm sure they one shot me but had no desire to find out. Trying to find lucatel's summon sign now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raygereio posted:

What do I need to look at to determine which casting implement is better?

The attack bonus for whichever element you're casting (magic for sorcery, dark for hexes, lightning for faith) and the casting speed.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Having just beaten Ancient Dragon, I can say this with confidence: get Gower's Ring of Protection for the fight. It turns this from the hardest boss fight in the game to (while tedious) the easiest. The ring negates all damage you take from behind, so if you turn away from the bosses insta-kill move, you're completely safe.

A more in-depth guide to fighting him for anybody who wants it:

1. Equip yourself with Gower's Ring of Protection, Bracing Knuckle Ring (Without it Gowers breaks after five hits) and Clorthy Ring for extra stamina. Also have some repair powder on your belt to fix up Gower's if you take a lot of hits.
2. When the fight starts, stand in front of the boss's head, but slightly to the right, so you're lined up with his right paw.
3. The boss will do one of two attacks: flame breath or the insta-kill fire rain.
4. The tell for flame breath is him rearing his head back for a bit. Run in slightly on the right, and you'll go right under his breath. Get a few good casts/hits to the right paw, and back up. You want to be back in the position you started in (slightly in front of the dragon, lined up with the right paw) once he's finished his attack.
5. The tell for the instakill is him flapping his wings. TURN AROUND and run as fast as you can. Hopefully, you'll be out of range. If not, Gowers will take this hit for you. Be careful to monitor how much damage it's taken: if you take a lot of hits instead of dodging them, you'll probably have to pop a repair powder or two. In either case, once the attack is finished sprint back to your original position as above.
6. Rinse repeat: The dragon really only has these two moves, provided you always return to the same place before he attacks. If you're underneath him when he finishes the flame breath, he can either stomp you or light himself on fire to hurt you. So try not to be.
7. Eventually you'll eat through his massive health bar, and then victory! :toot:

But seriously From, gently caress you: this guy would be an absolute joke of a boss if not for the insta-kill attack.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Did I miss a left turn somewhere? I just went through The gutters, found myself in the black gulch, and beat The Rotten Boss but I could've sworn I heard something about a statue of a saint and a king of rats before I climbed down the hole in majula, it doesnt help that the place is dark as all hell so I'm sure I missed a door or tunnel or something.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

So I just finished the spider boss and got my second lord soul. The first I got from Sinner's Cove.

Uh, where do I head next? I got another branch of yore but I can't remember any significant passage being blocked by a statue. :negative:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
^^ Check out the passage between Majula and Heide's Tower of Flame.

Al-Saqr posted:

Did I miss a left turn somewhere? I just went through The gutters, found myself in the black gulch, and beat The Rotten Boss but I could've sworn I heard something about a statue of a saint and a king of rats before I climbed down the hole in majula, it doesnt help that the place is dark as all hell so I'm sure I missed a door or tunnel or something.

There are two tunnels found in that hole. The bottom one leads straight to the Gutter, the other one leads to the Grave of Saints.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Al-Saqr posted:

Grave of Saints is the only one you can reach if you don't have the largest ladder. Get the cat ring and drop down to find it.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013
Just got a Blue Flame, from Undead Crypt. It scales with magic SO much better than my old longsword with about the same magic damage, and deals hilariously ridiculous damage with sorceries, especially in PvP. It's so fun.. Thinking of getting two for dualwielding.

EDIT: Hahahaha. Cast Soul Greatsword, and someone thought I was just swinging my weapon and tried to parry it. Best weapon ever.

NullDragon fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 2, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Noxville posted:

Grave of Saints is the only one you can reach if you don't have the largest ladder. Get the cat ring and drop down to find it.

Actually, it's possible to get to the Gutter from the Grave of Saints bonfire. From the bonfire, go back to the pit. If you stand at the edge and look down, you can see a wooden platform that's almost directly below the ground you're standing on, but if you're very, very careful, you can nudge yourself over the edge just right to land on the platform and continue down to the area with the scaffolding that leads directly into the Gutter.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That was interesting.

Invaded the world of an infinite HP guilty. I jumped to a narrow ledge, and the fellow actually followed me. Except there was no room for him, so he plummeted to his demise.

EDIT: I just got the guy's gimmick. Invincible Dante from DMC cosplay. I guess that's original?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 2, 2014

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

THE PWNER posted:

It took me so long to do the archer part before smelter demon that the enemies in the castle before it stopped respawning. I'm loving ashamed.

Then I beat him the first try by summoning Lucatiel and shooting arrows from a corner.

I like how this fight was patched from "Impossible to keep Lucatiel alive" to "Lucatiel trivializes the fight."

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Attestant posted:

I like how this fight was patched from "Impossible to keep Lucatiel alive" to "Lucatiel trivializes the fight."

I like how Lucatiel is a dick and has, on two seperate occasions, not entered the boss arena leaving me to deal with a higher stat Smelter alone. gently caress her.

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007
How does the guard break attack work(Up+RB)? I thought if somebody was blocking, it would knock them back and you get to do a special stun attack, but I've been fighting players and I've knocked them out of guard more than once and never gotten it, but, most surprisingly, I came out of a roll and got an Up+RB to the face, and he got the special attack and one shotted me with his dark rapier.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sixty-Proof posted:

How does the guard break attack work(Up+RB)? I thought if somebody was blocking, it would knock them back and you get to do a special stun attack, but I've been fighting players and I've knocked them out of guard more than once and never gotten it, but, most surprisingly, I came out of a roll and got an Up+RB to the face, and he got the special attack and one shotted me with his dark rapier.

Move toward the enemy after Guard Breaking them, because that move pushes them backward and you need to be right up on them to get the special attack.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gazaar posted:

The thing about Nashandra is she is pretty explicitly a piece of manus that grew back after the original chosen undead killed him. All of the weapons you make with her soul say this. She showed up out of nowhere and became the queen of drangleic because of an insatiable need for power, the thing she sent Vendrick across the sea for was the lordvessel. I think the throne of want was a peering chamber Vendrick originally used to peer into the essence of the soul aka the 4 lord souls of incredible power that were left in it. The evidence to back that up is the 4 big souls in this game become the 4 souls from the first game in NG+. Nothing else from a lore standpoint makes much sense as far as those go. He may have transferred the majority of the power into the throne of want as his peering chamber, handed the 4 lord souls out to who eventually become the old 4, and discarded the now dead lordvessel. The broken shards of the lordvessel may or may not be laying around in the basement of the mansion, or something that just happens to look like a giant golden broken bowl with fancy carvings in the side. Nashandra wanted an undead to come by and fight their way to the throne so she could just slide in and use it, whether or not it still DOES anything I'm skeptical.

Maybe the fact that we don't know what the villain wants is a sign of a terrible story.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Bells bells BELLS BELLS BELLS

Bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells, bells

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
When using the small soapstone, sometimes when the summoner challenges the boss I get a message saying he went to another world and I'm sent back to mine. What causes this? it seems to happen when we've been killing a bunch of stuff on the way to the boss but not enough to fulfill my duty. It's annoying beacuase I don't get back my humanity and I feel like a dick for ditching him to fight the boss alone.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

When using the small soapstone, sometimes when the summoner challenges the boss I get a message saying he went to another world and I'm sent back to mine. What causes this? it seems to happen when we've been killing a bunch of stuff on the way to the boss but not enough to fulfill my duty. It's annoying beacuase I don't get back my humanity and I feel like a dick for ditching him to fight the boss alone.

There isnt a boss there actually. Its a hosts misconception that they can bring summons to the pursuer in iron keep for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

FrickenMoron posted:

There isnt a boss there actually. Its a hosts misconception that they can bring summons to the pursuer in iron keep for example.

I get it a lot when trying to sunbro the Ruin Sentinals, though. No other boss takes up residence there, right?