Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

I'm trying to hunt down a very old DOS side-scrolling shmup. It was probably around 1991-1993. You controlled a space ship which I think was green. There was a level where one of the enemy types was a pair of legs with a missile attached to them. They would walk along the bottom of the screen, shoot the missile at you and then walk off screen if you didn't shoot them. You could shoot them before they launched the missile. They may have been wearing heels and I'm fairly certain the level they appeared in had a forest background. I think the backgrounds had some parallaxing going on.

Never mind, it was Kaeon. After I hit post I remembered Mobygames exists and that helped narrow it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jacOIiZ9HU8

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

the posted:

I remember some PC game in the early 90s with a vaguely cyberpunk theme about "jacking in" or whatever. It was just a flying game where you'd fly down these tunnels very similar to the ending of Star Wars. Had some crappy intro movie with a fat guy jacking in and online. Very forgettable game. Anyone? It wasn't Descent.

Is it Interphase - had a digitized intro sequence showing you 'jacking in' - i.e. a guy in a motorcycle helmet. Then it was all 3d cyberspace stuff with you picking up keys, destroying locks and circumventing security measures so your agent could infiltrate the building. The game really deserves to be redone for the current generation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrfm85F6foA

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer
I watched a friend play a game around the mid-90s (probably 1998 at the latest), may have been SNES but he had all the systems - even the unpopular ones. I remember watching him explore sand dunes from a far out POV, and he had a team of 4 or 5 members. I think the battle screen had a setup sort of like Earthbound with the player names and stats on a rectangle at the bottom of the screen. The characters looked more like a Western comic book than the JRPGS I was used to.

I wish I could remember more, but it was a looong time ago and I was just a little kid. It's been bugging me for years! Any guesses?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

delirious pancake posted:

I watched a friend play a game around the mid-90s (probably 1998 at the latest), may have been SNES but he had all the systems - even the unpopular ones. I remember watching him explore sand dunes from a far out POV, and he had a team of 4 or 5 members. I think the battle screen had a setup sort of like Earthbound with the player names and stats on a rectangle at the bottom of the screen. The characters looked more like a Western comic book than the JRPGS I was used to.

I wish I could remember more, but it was a looong time ago and I was just a little kid. It's been bugging me for years! Any guesses?

Maybe Wild Arms?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I dunno, Wild ARMs is super JRPG in appearance. For some reason, Drakkhen was the first thing to come to mind for me.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It was an educational PC game. The principle protagonist was a guy in a thick wooly jumper, sneakers, glasses and a fedora, with no visible facial features. Mainly logic puzzles.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Fulchrum posted:

It was an educational PC game. The principle protagonist was a guy in a thick wooly jumper, sneakers, glasses and a fedora, with no visible facial features. Mainly logic puzzles.

This could be any of a number of adventure games in the Super Solver series by The Adventure Company. The one that most purely focused on logic was Challenge of the Ancient Empies- although you might also be thinking of Midnight Rescue, which had a deduction puzzle at the core of each run.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 20, 2014

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer

Chinook posted:

Maybe Wild Arms?

After checking some screenshots, it doesn't look like what I remember, but thanks for the suggestion.

The White Dragon posted:

I dunno, Wild ARMs is super JRPG in appearance. For some reason, Drakkhen was the first thing to come to mind for me.

Yeah, this is much closer! The characters look pretty close to what I remember, but I distinctly recall the world not being very colorful or magical - not so D&D, more like deserts and warriors.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Discendo Vox posted:

This could be any of a number of adventure games in the Super Solver series by The Adventure Company. The one that most purely focused on logic was Challenge of the Ancient Empies- although you might also be thinking of Midnight Rescue, which had a deduction puzzle at the core of each run.

Just Super Solver was really all I needed, thanks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

7th Saga?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

I'd be shocked if this was it, but everything that you've said seems to apply to Wasteland.

Exploration:

Combat:

delirious pancake
Dec 29, 2006
in your grocer's freezer
Thanks for the help, everyone - I finally figured it out! It was Phantasy Star 4 for the Genesis. I had a hard time because I saw what seems to be a non-representative part of the game (namely, the desert). This Youtube review shows the part I was thinking of: http://youtu.be/a_-b9b6GIBQ?t=1m51s

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PC driving game from late 80s/early 90s. The objective was to drive across the states although I don't remember from which end to the other. I can't remember if it was first person or third but I'm leaning on first considering the crappy CGA graphics (I remember lots of blues and reds) and it's a DOS game that I owned on my Windows 3.1 computer. If you drove over the speed limit too long you would be ticketed by invisible police?

The one thing I concretely remember is that I believe it was a product placement game for a certain car manufacturer. It was definitely someone who made sports cars and convertibles and you could upgrade your car using money you earned over time. When you won you got a crappy cutscene that kind of reminded me of winning Outrun.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

al-azad posted:

PC driving game from late 80s/early 90s. The objective was to drive across the states although I don't remember from which end to the other. I can't remember if it was first person or third but I'm leaning on first considering the crappy CGA graphics (I remember lots of blues and reds) and it's a DOS game that I owned on my Windows 3.1 computer. If you drove over the speed limit too long you would be ticketed by invisible police?

The one thing I concretely remember is that I believe it was a product placement game for a certain car manufacturer. It was definitely someone who made sports cars and convertibles and you could upgrade your car using money you earned over time. When you won you got a crappy cutscene that kind of reminded me of winning Outrun.

One of the first three Test Drive games, perhaps? Or Ford Simulator?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was Ford Simulator 3, thank you. That's been bugging me for a while.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

al-azad posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamborghini_American_Challenge ?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Two games that have been bugging me for a while:

1. An NES platformer in which you control a robot or high-tech armor guy and the main mechanic revolved around reversing gravity so you walk along the ceiling.

2. This one's a bit more vague since I've only ever watched some one play it. PC adventure game from the mid-late 90s(?)with a top down view and a realistic style. I specifically remember one puzzle in which you had to trick a genie into entering a bottle and then cork it to trap him. Maybe had a sort of arabian kind of theme?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Christo posted:

Two games that have been bugging me for a while:

1. An NES platformer in which you control a robot or high-tech armor guy and the main mechanic revolved around reversing gravity so you walk along the ceiling.

2. This one's a bit more vague since I've only ever watched some one play it. PC adventure game from the mid-late 90s(?)with a top down view and a realistic style. I specifically remember one puzzle in which you had to trick a genie into entering a bottle and then cork it to trap him. Maybe had a sort of arabian kind of theme?

#1 is for sure Metalstorm by Irem.

#2 I don't know.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Christo posted:

Maybe Al-Qadim

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Christo posted:

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse?

Edit: FUCKYOUUUUUUU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Weirdly enough, I was thinking Baldur's Gate 2, and it has that "realistic 90s graphics" look to it. Isn't there a quest in the first town that involves tricking a genie?

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

chairface posted:

#1 is for sure Metalstorm by Irem.

Ah yes, that's the one!

al-azad posted:

Maybe Al-Qadim

I think that's it! I had to look up the genie bottle part in a walkthrough to be sure (its actually an efreeti that you trap, apparently).

Hardcordion fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 27, 2014

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
SNES platform game, where you're a cute little dude who fights off demons(?) with a pitchfork.

The magazine Super Play showcased it a few times, but I'm not sure if it ever saw a release outside of Japan.

Edit : Thanks! I'm also thrilled to learn it's part of a series.

Tyma fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 28, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tyma posted:

SNES platform game, where you're a cute little dude who fights off demons(?) with a pitchfork.

The magazine Super Play showcased it a few times, but I'm not sure if it ever saw a release outside of Japan.

Whirlo

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

This was an old PC game, isometric or VERY early 3d graphics, you drive around in a boat and shoot at vietcong guys as navy seals. I seem to remember being able to choose a loadout for my seals and run around and do stuff as them.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Elendil004 posted:

This was an old PC game, isometric or VERY early 3d graphics, you drive around in a boat and shoot at vietcong guys as navy seals. I seem to remember being able to choose a loadout for my seals and run around and do stuff as them.

My first guess'd be "NAM" but failing that, it's probably somewhere on this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War_in_games

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Sounds like Gunboat although you never left the boat.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The wiki for gunboat led me too the game, it was SEAL Team. Sweet!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
There's this one game I remember from about 10 or 15 years ago. It was an RPG set in some kind of medieval setting, with a background setting that was about evil mist popping up everywhere and eating people. I don't remember any more, I couldn't figure out the controls and never got past the courtyard where you start in.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

There's this one game I remember from about 10 or 15 years ago. It was an RPG set in some kind of medieval setting, with a background setting that was about evil mist popping up everywhere and eating people. I don't remember any more, I couldn't figure out the controls and never got past the courtyard where you start in.

Do you remember the platform? Characters? Battle system? Graphical style? Anything else to go on?

First thing that comes to find is Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles which was about a poison mist engulfing the world.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Cardiovorax posted:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/mistmare

I always debated buying it from the bargain bin and always decided against it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

About 15 years ago I played this RPG/Adventure game at a friends place but I haven't been able to find it since. I don't remember much but it had a city view screen of some caves where tiger people or at least animal people lived, there was also a sideview combat minigame that looks a lot like Tekken where you could jump, cast spells and attack etc.

It is very reminiscent of Albion and Ringworld in the art style, which are two games I confused it with when I tried finding it some years ago but it's not either of those.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I think I answered this some time back. Look up Alien Logic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

scamtank posted:

I think I answered this some time back. Look up Alien Logic.

That's the one, cheers. Now I can relive my childhood :3:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

The Joe Man posted:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/mistmare

I always debated buying it from the bargain bin and always decided against it.
That's the one, thanks a bunch.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
An light hearted horror adventure game from the mid nineties. Very similar to The 7th Guest only the graphics had a cartoony, almost claymation kind of look to them. The art style was reminiscent of stuff like Nightmare Before Christmas or Edward Gorey's art.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Shivers? It's also in the LP archive.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Neo Rasa posted:

An light hearted horror adventure game from the mid nineties. Very similar to The 7th Guest only the graphics had a cartoony, almost claymation kind of look to them. The art style was reminiscent of stuff like Nightmare Before Christmas or Edward Gorey's art.

Did you have to find a bunch of keys and was there a timer of some sort? Because if so I think I know what game you're referencing.

Gahan's Haunted House: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJp_P0YzGYc

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

The Dark Eye is a first person game like 7th Guest and literally claymation (stop motion, technically).

Nightmare Ned is an adventure game disguised as a platformer with a kind of Tim Burton-y art style and weird 3D clay style backdrops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Already a bunch of suggestions, but Realms of the Haunting was a doom clone horror game with 7th Guest style cinematics for plot progression.