Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

zoux posted:

It's best that we all just come to terms with Laurel learning crime fighting ways. It might not happen, but we should prepare ourselves nonetheless.

I'm hoping that next season Queen Consolidated is gone, and Thea starts like, The Queen Foundation with Walter's money, run by Laurel. Then that line about the addiction storyline being her island makes sense, and it gives her a defined role in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

ayb posted:

can someone link this

I edited it, but you get the gist from the edit

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Warmachine posted:

I'm chalking that up to the lines. Maybe, MAYBE Patrick Stewart could have saved those lines. Those were terrible lines.

Yeah as easy as it is to blame Laurel's problems on Katie Cassidy that was a prime example of the terrible dialogue she's saddled with regularly. She's written like a 14 year old more often than she's written like a lawyer.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
In my opinion the whole knowing the arrows identity is kind of wasted by the fact that she's probably just going to be another drat cheerleader for Oliver. One of the things that I liked about Tommy finding out about Ollie secret Identity was Tommy calling him out over a lot of his bullshit. Then they killed him off solely for dramatic purposes at the end of the first season and Laurel mentally regressed to a fourteen year old girl so she'd have something to do.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Why is Thea such a hateful bitch, seriously? Nobody on earth is that much of a hateful bitch "I hate Oliver for being stuck on an Island for 5 years". "Now I hate my dad for dying". "Now I hate my mom for lying" "Now I hate my brother for also lying". "Now I hate my brother because my mom died"...

You'd think she'd give the hating everybody a rest for a minute once Moira died and she even admits "she died thinking I hated her". But no, she goes right into hating Oliver again. It's seriously annoying, she acts like a 5 year old

You would think that with Thea constantly deciding she hates her family, they would have gotten used to it and stopped caring, growing up with her. "Oh, Thea hates me again, it must be Tuesday"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Thea was cool for pretty much a whole season. She got over being pissy at Ollie and her dad towards the middle/end of last season and only started freaking out this season when she found out just about everyone knew she was the daughter of a mass murdering psychopath and lied about it to her. Now her mom is dead as a direct consequence of poo poo that Ollie did and lied about. Seriously, she deserves some slack.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DrunkPanda posted:

Why is Thea such a hateful bitch, seriously? Nobody on earth is that much of a hateful bitch "I hate Oliver for being stuck on an Island for 5 years". "Now I hate my dad for dying". "Now I hate my mom for lying" "Now I hate my brother for also lying". "Now I hate my brother because my mom died"...

You'd think she'd give the hating everybody a rest for a minute once Moira died and she even admits "she died thinking I hated her". But no, she goes right into hating Oliver again. It's seriously annoying, she acts like a 5 year old

You would think that with Thea constantly deciding she hates her family, they would have gotten used to it and stopped caring, growing up with her. "Oh, Thea hates me again, it must be Tuesday"

..But she did.

Maybe you do need a second watch.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Her entire loving family has completely fallen apart like three separate times, and her boyfriend broke up with her and then randomly turned out to be a crazy hulk psycho. I think she gets a pass on the whole being dramatic thing and not trusting anyone. Honestly Thea just getting tired of everyone's poo poo and telling them all to gently caress off has been one of my favorite parts of this season. I still think her relationship with Roy was a bit too soap opera-ish (mostly last season), but her being annoyed/mad at everyone is perfectly valid.

It's not like when Laurel just got drunk and was a huge bitch to everyone around her (which was pretty awesome), Thea's got some pretty serious beef with basically everyone in her life.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Awesome episode! Is it me or did Isabel's headgear make her look loving retarded?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I still can't believe the show has the balls to hit us with SEVEN cliffhangers in one episode.
(Ollie and Laurel and super dudes buried under rocks! Diggle confronted by Super Summer Glau! Felicity gets a phone call probably about the cure! Super Dude at the police station with Lance! Super Dude at the train station with Thea! Super dudes marching on the city! Bonus flashback cliffhanger: what's happening with the submarine and where is Sarah?)

I've been catching up on Agents of SHIELD lately and it's even improved some...But despite having a lower budget, Arrow makes it look like a student film.

DrunkPanda posted:

Current situation was her being angry at her brother for not telling her about the psychopath who wanted to kill their family. I'd say that's pretty reasonable.

When Ollie says his little goodbye speech to her and encourages her to leave town, I got the impression she wasn't hateful, she just had no idea what to think anymore. Everything has just gotten so crazy.

Feenix posted:

Awesome episode! Is it me or did Isabel's headgear make her look loving retarded?
I figured out why the mask looks weird and it's really distracting now. It's not the costume. She just has a gigantic forehead. Like it's 40% of her adorable face. Look up a picture of her and try not to see it.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

The mask looks weird because it kind of bulges out and makes her head look like a big bubble. All I can see is the helmet all the Assholes in Spaceballs wear.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
One thing that bothers me about this episode: Did the Japanese actually have torpedoes that required a pilot inside them? It just seems kind of stupid to me.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

DrunkPanda posted:

Ollie did kind of gently caress up the family company which directly led to her club being closed.

David D. Davidson posted:

One thing that bothers me about this episode: Did the Japanese actually have torpedoes that required a pilot inside them? It just seems kind of stupid to me.

The Japanese had flying bombs that were piloted by people. A torpedo is not out of the realm of possibility.

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions
They were real

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaiten

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WW2-era Japan must have been a crazy loving place.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

raditts posted:

WW2-era Japan must have been a crazy loving place.

Well, it kinda was.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

The Libearian posted:

I'm kinda sad that mice priest's entire character arc was chill with some mice, give some advice, get shot out of a torpedo bay.

That was the same guy? Did they recast him or am I just dumb for not recognizing him?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Kruller posted:

The mask looks weird because it kind of bulges out and makes her head look like a big bubble. All I can see is the helmet all the Assholes in Spaceballs wear.

When you put it like that, it's not half as bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bad Moon posted:

Ollie did kind of gently caress up the family company which directly led to her club being closed.

Thea did kind of gently caress up the club by not signing those papers so they would have some money. Who did she think owned the club?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm just going to assume people saying "Thea is such a bitch!" are troll posting. Everyone in the Queen family has moments of awfulness, but Oliver has long done way, way shittier things.

He left her alone for several days to deal with burying their mother. I was completely expecting some badass reveal that Oliver was off training or gathering a team to take down Slade - but nope, he's just been emotionally crippled and has literally given up the fight.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm just going to assume people saying "Thea is such a bitch!" are troll posting. Everyone in the Queen family has moments of awfulness, but Oliver has long done way, way shittier things.

He left her alone for several days to deal with burying their mother. I was completely expecting some badass reveal that Oliver was off training or gathering a team to take down Slade - but nope, he's just been emotionally crippled and has literally given up the fight.

In a way I'm kinda glad about that. We've got enough stories about emotionally stale super-men. Sure, sometimes people get toughened against trauma, but a lot of time you get the exact opposite reaction. It traumatizes them and they get even more sensitive. It's totally realistic that Ollie would go all PTSD as a result of Slade carefully re-enacting the worst things that have ever happened to him.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Narcissus1916 posted:

This whole season has been about how Oliver's lies have been ruining the lives of everybody around him. I'm not surprised at all that Thea is mad at him for not mentioning that the man they were happily showing around the house - Slade Wilson - is a murderous psychopath. It's pretty easy to go down the whole "maybe if you said something Mom would still be alive" route.

The Libearian
Nov 24, 2007
Return your books or face mauling

Epi Lepi posted:

That was the same guy? Did they recast him or am I just dumb for not recognizing him?

Turns out i'm full of poo poo! The priest was called Thomas and that guy was called Peter. I just assumed he was supposed to be the only previously named prisoner other than Anatoly and Henrick.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Bad Moon posted:

The Japanese had flying bombs that were piloted by people. A torpedo is not out of the realm of possibility.

Actually Thea's the one that directly led to her club being closed. She was the one that was all "screw you guys, I got mine" when Ollie and Moira were trying to get her to sign that document that would allow them to protect their assets. Because for some reason she thought her club would be safe, just Ollie and Moira would lose everything (which is my biggest beef with her)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Narcissus1916 posted:

Haha never underestimate people's ability to completely misjudge and miss the point of character's actions, especially when they get to pass moral judgement on that character (and the character is a woman :ssh: )

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Thea signing those papers wouldn't have kept the club. The club was owned by Queen Consolidated, not by some special class of Queen Consolidated shares.

She won't lose the club though. Isabel will die, and Oliver or Walter will become CEO, or Thea for maximum CW stupidity, and the club will be just fine and everyone will be happy. Except Sara. She's dead. For sure.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Thea signing those papers wouldn't have kept the club. The club was owned by Queen Consolidated, not by some special class of Queen Consolidated shares.

She won't lose the club though. Isabel will die, and Oliver or Walter will become CEO, or Thea for maximum CW stupidity, and the club will be just fine and everyone will be happy. Except Sara. She's dead. For sure.

I dunno, I can imagine them keeping Sara alive (due to the fan love for her), but having to leave for a time, and asking Laurel to take up her mantle so that Canary can stay even if she can't.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

Haha never underestimate people's ability to completely misjudge and miss the point of character's actions, especially when they get to pass moral judgement on that character (and the character is a woman :ssh: )

I don't blame her character motivations because she's been poo poo on by the other characters in one way or another all season, but her being the Always Mad character does get a bit tiring. Especially considering this show usually breezes past high-drama threads rather than drawing them out.

Seriously though, Ollie needs to hurry up and tell her the truth about everything already, for gently caress's sake. This last episode is like what, the 3rd, 4th time she's been in a dangerous situation because she doesn't know her brother is a goddamned superhero (and is literally the last one to not know)?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

I dunno, I can imagine them keeping Sara alive (due to the fan love for her), but having to leave for a time, and asking Laurel to take up her mantle so that Canary can stay even if she can't.

A death is really the only strong enough motivation for Laurel to go vigilante. She believes in the law, even though we've seen her faith in it start to dip.

I suppose a member of the mayor's army killing her father could work though.

Plus if she's going to call herself Black Canary that's totally because it's the mourning color.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 2, 2014

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Why the hell was Laurel in the facility? She's such an idiot, she's not trained, what the hell can she even do?

"I'll litigate you... TO DEATH!"

She's just a giant distraction. CW should kill her and keep Sara.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ravane posted:

Why the hell was Laurel in the facility? She's such an idiot, she's not trained, what the hell can she even do?

Save Oliver's life, apparently.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ravane posted:

Sneak up behind a guy about to kill Oliver and hit him in the head, thus distracting him enough for Ollie to take him out?

Aphrodite posted:

Save Oliver's life, apparently.

Yeah, this.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

BreakAtmo posted:

Sneak up behind a guy about to kill Oliver and hit him in the head, thus distracting him enough for Ollie to take him out?

Yeah, but that's just a giant deus ex machina. She's not capable of sneaking into the facility without getting caught. Black Canary, sure. Laurel? No.

But she gets in (without being seen by Oliver's crew or the enemy), follows Oliver (without him seeing her, drat ninja skills), and then distracts the guy. I can believe the distraction, I can't believe her being there.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's not a facility. It's the sewers.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Oliver and co probably weren't really trying to make sure they weren't tailed, and didn't they say out loud where they were going? All she has to do is drive and watch him as he goes in from a distance, since Felicity and Diggle were outside, not covering Oliver's entrance.

So it's plausible, but it's a lot of risks working out just right for her.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Aphrodite posted:

It's not a facility. It's the sewers.

Cleanest drat sewers I've ever seen. :colbert:

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

When all the people that used to poo poo in them are dead because of an artificial earthquake...

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

WarLocke posted:

Cleanest drat sewers I've ever seen. :colbert:

It's a TV show. Of course it's clean. :psyduck:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Never underestimate the capacity of viewers to complain about characters when they have done literally nothing wrong in the whole episode, I guess. Didn't even Thea end up leaving on reasonably good terms with her brother?

e: (Although I did get a kick out of Laurel taking the time to change out of the pantsuit she wore in the lair into some garish pink thing to start her sneaky superhero life)

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was a jacket.

• Locked thread