Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
On my game, I changed to absolute-cognatic (Ive modded the ortodox faith to allow that). Im also using primogeniture.

But whenever my heir is a girl, my first son gets to inherit my kingdom titles. Im emperor of Russia, king of Rus and Ruthenia (plus a bunch of duchys and counties, of course). Right now my first daughter is heir to everything but the 2 kingdom titles, which are going to be inherited by my first son (if I let it happen, and I wont).

Why is that?

Also, is there any way to transfer vassalage of dukes to my vassal kings? Im tired to have so many vassals, so Ive been giving everything but my personal desmene to my vassal kings. But it seems like I can only transfer vassalage of vassals up to count, the dukes wont show up on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Elias_Maluco posted:

On my game, I changed to absolute-cognatic (Ive modded the ortodox faith to allow that). Im also using primogeniture.

But whenever my heir is a girl, my first son gets to inherit my kingdom titles. Im emperor of Russia, king of Rus and Ruthenia (plus a bunch of duchys and counties, of course). Right now my first daughter is heir to everything but the 2 kingdom titles, which are going to be inherited by my first son (if I let it happen, and I wont).

Why is that?

Probably because your empire is set to absolute cognatic but your kingdoms have different succession laws. Go to the laws page and click on the shields for your kingdom titles to adjust their laws.

quote:

Also, is there any way to transfer vassalage of dukes to my vassal kings? Im tired to have so many vassals, so Ive been giving everything but my personal desmene to my vassal kings. But it seems like I can only transfer vassalage of vassals up to count, the dukes wont show up on the list.

You should be able to trasfer the vassalage of dukes to their de-jure lieges, so if you hold the titles of Rus and Ruthenia you won't be able to transfer Russian or Ruthenian dukes to another vassalised king. In any case, the most recent patch made vassal kings hate being vassalised, so powering them up too much could get you in serious trouble later down the line.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Vandad finally kicked the bucket in my game (sadly before finishing the wars he was in, so I'll have to get around the truces some other way), at a spry young 78. Now Navvaba, his daughter and master diplomat (22/10/8/7/7, and with her 11/11/14/9/7 brother-husband and her council her state attributes are 45/31/34/26/29; she's pretty beastly, even if she's not the ubermensch some here have created) is here to finish the job and reform the Persian Empire. Hopefully; she's got a lot of time ahead of her (she's presently only 19) and despite being a female leader her vassals mostly love her because of how drat personable she is, but there's still a way to go.

Something interesting that just happened, the Tengri have reformed. Besides trying and failing to invade my lands when Vandad was still in charge, they haven't really done anything until now. Wonder how well the reformed faith will do in the hands of the AI. At least the flavor text for the Lords of the Sky is pretty awesome.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Did VIET pretty much just get rid of the Leatherskin Greek/Mediterranean portraits, or are they Italian-only now? My Greek guys look white again.

Surprised it's taken me so long to try HIP/VIET--it makes the game a lot more fun and varied than vanilla. There's just more poo poo happening, and realms seem to be a bit unstable. Givin' me CK2+ nostalgia and poo poo.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Vandad finally kicked the bucket in my game (sadly before finishing the wars he was in, so I'll have to get around the truces some other way), at a spry young 78. Now Navvaba, his daughter and master diplomat (22/10/8/7/7, and with her 11/11/14/9/7 brother-husband and her council her state attributes are 45/31/34/26/29; she's pretty beastly, even if she's not the ubermensch some here have created) is here to finish the job and reform the Persian Empire. Hopefully; she's got a lot of time ahead of her (she's presently only 19) and despite being a female leader her vassals mostly love her because of how drat personable she is, but there's still a way to go.

Something interesting that just happened, the Tengri have reformed. Besides trying and failing to invade my lands when Vandad was still in charge, they haven't really done anything until now. Wonder how well the reformed faith will do in the hands of the AI. At least the flavor text for the Lords of the Sky is pretty awesome.

I had that happen in my last 400 year game, and they called a crusade on the Byzantine empire. The Byz had up to that point kept their entire dejure borders, other than Sicily, and even gotten beyond that to the north. But they were getting their asses handed to them by the Tengri until I got roped into the conflict by a careless marraige, and decided that I didn't want a horde on my border. Even with player assistance and every Catholic holy order that I roped in, it was still close.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Edison was a dick posted:

Go restore all the ancient religions. Become the Saoshyant, mend the schism, reform all the Pagan religions.
You'll need to religion hop quite a bit, so the vassal opinion boost for being the Roman Empire will help, so I recommend taking all of the old Roman borders (West coast of Arabia, Alexandria, Tunisia, Croatia, Serbia, Italy and Sicily basically), go Orthodox, usurp/recreate the Byzantine empire then turn it into the Roman Empire and mend the schism.

Then go to Perisa, become Zoroastrian, perhaps Persian too, so you can vassalise the Immortals, then restore the Zoroastrian priesthood and become the Saoshyant.

Then go Tengri again and reform that religion.
Slavic is next on the list, then Romuva, then Norse.

This sounds like a fun thing to try. What I'm concerned with is that with all the prerequisite holy warring that I'll eventually have to do I'll erode the moral authority of all the religions to such an extent that reforming them will become a huge timesink. Then again, the year was only 914 last I checked, so I guess I'll have plenty of time.

My realm has been oddly stable up until now. I guess I've got the event troops for creating Hungary to thank for that, since none of my vassals have had the guts to declare faction wars on me yet. I guess it's only a matter of time. In the meantime, I guess my next project will be to usurp the Byzantine Empire so I can become the God-King of Rome, King of the Jews, and the One Who Brings Benefit. :v:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Ratpick posted:

This sounds like a fun thing to try. What I'm concerned with is that with all the prerequisite holy warring that I'll eventually have to do I'll erode the moral authority of all the religions to such an extent that reforming them will become a huge timesink. Then again, the year was only 914 last I checked, so I guess I'll have plenty of time.

My realm has been oddly stable up until now. I guess I've got the event troops for creating Hungary to thank for that, since none of my vassals have had the guts to declare faction wars on me yet. I guess it's only a matter of time. In the meantime, I guess my next project will be to usurp the Byzantine Empire so I can become the God-King of Rome, King of the Jews, and the One Who Brings Benefit. :v:

MA shouldn't really be an issue as the holy war bonuses/penalties only last 10-20 years, so once you hold all 5 holy sites you just wait for whatever penalties you have to expire.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Allyn posted:

MA shouldn't really be an issue as the holy war bonuses/penalties only last 10-20 years, so once you hold all 5 holy sites you just wait for whatever penalties you have to expire.

That's true, but come to think of it, can't you waive the MA requirement if you hold all the five holy sites at once? I recall there bein something to that effect.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Ratpick posted:

That's true, but come to think of it, can't you waive the MA requirement if you hold all the five holy sites at once? I recall there bein something to that effect.

That too! Forgot about that :shobon: it's 50% + 3, or all 5.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
So as King of Bavaria I have bee whittling away at germany and bohemia for the passed 100 years. I've had a series of semi terrible kings who spent more time dealing with pissed off kin in southern Bavaria than anything else. Now I finally have a genius ruler who is good at pretty much everything and I have High CA. And my loving whore for a wife has a lover thats also my spymaster. I foolishly tried to assassinate him and basically my whole realm has been notified several times that I wanted to kill him (even though they were all loving involved because I had like 260% on this motherfucker) and now I have like -200 with all my vassals for dishonorable.

Now that that's explained. Will the dishonorable modifier ever go away through time? I am so loving close to forming the HRE it's a godamned joke.

Edit: To answer my own question, Yes it does. I stopped trying to kill my spymaster a few years ago and divorced my lowborn slut wife. Just a moment ago my relations magically went from -200 to +30 with pretty much every vassal.

Now to deal with those german holdouts :black101:

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 2, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think dishonorable does time out after 10 years, like tyranny (not sure on the timeframe but I am fairly certain it does go away after some amount of time).

Seems like you would have been better off just to imprison and execute the guy. Plotting against your spymaster is kind of difficult.

Unrelated:

After playing Muslim for a while, it seems to me that basically all of the annoyances with decadence would be solved if the AI was more willing to imprison/execute decadent relatives. They never seem to want to do it even for the most inconsequential nobody. If they were changed to be more aggressive about it, it would be a lot more tolerable having a large dynasty. Even if the relative is the son of one of their vassals, the AI could still imprison them and just not execute them to minimize the relationship penalty.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

If a character gets event troops from somewhere, like leading a rebellion or being an adventurer, they don't automatically lose or disband those troops when the war ends - the event armies will stick around until they're killed in battle.

I checked an older autosave and that's what happened. Some rebelling prince got 28k free troops against a kingdom that could muster 8k. They really need to make this poo poo stop happening.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, I think I pissed the game off because it's outright cheating now. The Caliph declared war on me, with his 17.9k army (yes, his levies were raised, which I'm pretty sure is supposed to preclude declaring war) right on my border; it then proceeded to immediately stomp into my land and start assaulting my holdings. I reloaded my save because that seemed like a bug, and now it happens immediately. Even on saves older than that one, and regardless of circumstance; after realizing that it didn't matter what save I loaded, I tried scumming one until I assassinated the caliph without being discovered, before which I had bribed his heir so his opinion of me was positive, and it still happened. I really don't know what to do here, since besides him declaring war on me my levies seem a few thousand units smaller despite all my vassals loving me, so trying to fight him off is nearly impossible and I don't want to forfeit territory to him even when he isn't breaking the rules and declaring war with raised levies.

Though, on a tangentially-related note, is it worth it to build the unit-enhancing cultural buildings if you already have retinues? I read that the bonuses from those are the same as what the retinues have, and I don't know if they stack or if retinues just don't get or need those bonuses, such as with horse archer retinues and the bonuses from riding grounds. If they do stack, then I'm going to build the crap out of them, but if not then I may as well not bother since I pretty much only get horse archers from my retinues anyway at the moment.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

The bonuses only apply to troops from that holding, but they apply to all troops of that type from that holding. So say you're English/Welsh, the cultural building gives you archers +30% attack (or something like that), which applies to the archers from that building and the archers from the militia training ground in that castle. The retinue gets the bonus regardless of any building.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allyn posted:

The bonuses only apply to troops from that holding, but they apply to all troops of that type from that holding. So say you're English/Welsh, the cultural building gives you archers +30% attack (or something like that), which applies to the archers from that building and the archers from the militia training ground in that castle. The retinue gets the bonus regardless of any building.

Gotcha. Hm, seeing as you get 60 horse archers if you get all the riding grounds upgrades... Unless Persians just get horse archers from normal levies as well, which I don't think they do, it doesn't seem to be worth it. Will put that money towards other upgrades instead; it'd probably be worth it for a different culture, but my retinues are my only source of horse archers without those upgrades, and they get the bonus already. Thanks for the info.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, I think I pissed the game off because it's outright cheating now. The Caliph declared war on me, with his 17.9k army (yes, his levies were raised, which I'm pretty sure is supposed to preclude declaring war) right on my border; it then proceeded to immediately stomp into my land and start assaulting my holdings. I reloaded my save because that seemed like a bug, and now it happens immediately. Even on saves older than that one, and regardless of circumstance; after realizing that it didn't matter what save I loaded, I tried scumming one until I assassinated the caliph without being discovered, before which I had bribed his heir so his opinion of me was positive, and it still happened. I really don't know what to do here, since besides him declaring war on me my levies seem a few thousand units smaller despite all my vassals loving me, so trying to fight him off is nearly impossible and I don't want to forfeit territory to him even when he isn't breaking the rules and declaring war with raised levies.

Are you sure they aren't event troops somehow?

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

So as King of Bavaria I have bee whittling away at germany and bohemia for the passed 100 years. I've had a series of semi terrible kings who spent more time dealing with pissed off kin in southern Bavaria than anything else. Now I finally have a genius ruler who is good at pretty much everything and I have High CA. And my loving whore for a wife has a lover thats also my spymaster. I foolishly tried to assassinate him and basically my whole realm has been notified several times that I wanted to kill him (even though they were all loving involved because I had like 260% on this motherfucker) and now I have like -200 with all my vassals for dishonorable.

Now that that's explained. Will the dishonorable modifier ever go away through time? I am so loving close to forming the HRE it's a godamned joke.

Edit: To answer my own question, Yes it does. I stopped trying to kill my spymaster a few years ago and divorced my lowborn slut wife. Just a moment ago my relations magically went from -200 to +30 with pretty much every vassal.

Now to deal with those german holdouts :black101:

You did fire the spymaster first?

Meanwhile, my idiot brother starts preparing an invasion against me, but accepts an invitation to my court.

I have 4500% plot power to kill him :getin:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

DStecks posted:

Are you sure they aren't event troops somehow?

Well, I suppose it's possible, but it'd be very odd because it's almost the entirety of his forces; he has fewer than 1000 troops beyond the doomstack. And I'm not sure where he'd get such a big event from in 910; the Abbasids' event troops form the start both were far fewer and are long, long gone. Pretty sure it's not a retinue either, he's only got Military Organization 1. (And either way it doesn't explain why no matter what he/his dynasty declares war on me, even in saves where he previously didn't, unless there's some mechanic or weirdness I'm unaware of that stretches across save files.)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is it possible to stick a kingdom back together that fractured due to Gavelkind? I had Ireland, Scotland, and Wales and was drat close to forging Britannia so I wouldn't have to worry about it but pneumonia happened and my king died at like 41 with...uhm...a lot of heirs. Now I have Scotland and not much else. Or do I just have to go punch somebody else in the dick and take their empire? My plan was to form Britannia then go take the holy sites and reform the Vikings but, well, Crusader Kings happened.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Is there someway to view only the vassals associated with a certain title?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Well, I suppose it's possible, but it'd be very odd because it's almost the entirety of his forces; he has fewer than 1000 troops beyond the doomstack. And I'm not sure where he'd get such a big event from in 910; the Abbasids' event troops form the start both were far fewer and are long, long gone. Pretty sure it's not a retinue either, he's only got Military Organization 1. (And either way it doesn't explain why no matter what he/his dynasty declares war on me, even in saves where he previously didn't, unless there's some mechanic or weirdness I'm unaware of that stretches across save files.)

You can always load up as the Abbasid guy and take a look at what his troops are, if you're curious. Then jump back on yours and consider what to do. If they are event-spawn troops, then once they're gone they're gone for good, so if he's only taking a duchy then forcing him to assault through and burn a bunch of guys may actually be worthwhile.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Allyn posted:

You can always load up as the Abbasid guy and take a look at what his troops are, if you're curious. Then jump back on yours and consider what to do. If they are event-spawn troops, then once they're gone they're gone for good, so if he's only taking a duchy then forcing him to assault through and burn a bunch of guys may actually be worthwhile.

Huh, dang, they are event troops. Not only that, but while they're at just under 18k now, their original size was nearly 30k. What the hell kind of event did this guy get? (Also, yeah, since apparently he won't not declare war on me I guess I'm going to let him wipe out his troops assaulting all my crap. And I could holy war him first maybe; will have fewer troops then because my vassals don't have the massive opinion boost, but I'd actually get something out of the war.) Also wow minus the event troops his forces are tiny.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
I haven't played this since The Republic or The Old Gods. I noticed when starting up a game in the Old Gods start as a pagan there was a hints screen explaining pretty succinctly what new stuff Pagans can do and how the various pagan religions are different. Is there any way to view the hints screens at will, without having them pop up automatically at the proper context?

Basically I just want a similar, quick run down on whats in Sons of Abraham and Rajas of India without having to dig through dev diaries or restart my game a bunch of times.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, dang, they are event troops. Not only that, but while they're at just under 18k now, their original size was nearly 30k. What the hell kind of event did this guy get?

Probably a rebellion event, either as defender or as aggressor (the "flock to their banners" ones).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

30k happens to be the limit for host invasions (unless that bug isn't fixed yet), so I'd wager one Abbasid got a cranky at being denied a title

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I haven't played this game since messing around with it for a few hours when it first dropped, I'm thinking about getting back into it. Which, if any, of the DLCs are considered essential? I don't really care about playing as Republics or Muslims or whatever but if there are useful features added I'm down to pick up any of the DLCs.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh. Well, the Caliph having that massive army is really annoying, even if he won't get it back when it's gone.

Plus side, the opinion boost from defending against infidels is enough to make my vassals finally approve High Crown Authority, followed by Harsh City Taxes (I had it at High previously, then lowered city levies to balance it; I figure now I can crank those taxes up to max) and everyone still loves me because I'm standing between us and that Abbasid jackass.

Still baffled as to why he suddenly hates me so much it crosses time, space, and save files though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrPop posted:

Did VIET pretty much just get rid of the Leatherskin Greek/Mediterranean portraits, or are they Italian-only now? My Greek guys look white again.

Surprised it's taken me so long to try HIP/VIET--it makes the game a lot more fun and varied than vanilla. There's just more poo poo happening, and realms seem to be a bit unstable. Givin' me CK2+ nostalgia and poo poo.

IIRC, the VIET Immersion module includes some portrait-changing stuff, such as making the Mediterraneans less ugly. It makes Italians use the western portrait, I think, while greeks use the Mediterranean one.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

I haven't played this game since messing around with it for a few hours when it first dropped, I'm thinking about getting back into it. Which, if any, of the DLCs are considered essential? I don't really care about playing as Republics or Muslims or whatever but if there are useful features added I'm down to pick up any of the DLCs.

If you're only interested in Christian rulers, pick up Legacy of Rome (which is basically essential) and Sons of Abraham (for a bunch of new Christian features).

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

nutranurse posted:

IIRC, the VIET Immersion module includes some portrait-changing stuff, such as making the Mediterraneans less ugly. It makes Italians use the western portrait, I think, while greeks use the Mediterranean one.

Hmmmm. My Byzantine dudes seem to be lookin' more Western than Mediterranean. Could I have installed something wrong?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

"What DLC's are essential" gets asked enough that it should really go into the OP.

:siren:SORTA-EFFORTPOST ON WHAT DLC'S ARE ESSENTIAL:siren:

Legacy of Rome is widely considered the most essential DLC, since it gives you access to retinues, allowing you to field a standing army and basically break the game. AFAIK, only retinues are DLC-exclusive, all the other features it added (a slightly more fleshed out ERE) got rolled out with the patch. I could be wrong, since I don't play in the ERE.

Old Gods is probably the second-most essential DLC, even if all it did was roll the start date back to 867. It also lets you play as European pagans, probably the second-most fleshed out group after Catholics. However, the Old Gods start is really wonky courtesy of the KarlingBlob, and playing as a viking is (IMO) kinda overrated. A great DLC, but not without some flaws.

Sword of Islam opens up the most content in terms of playable rulers, since it lets you play as a Muslim. It's pretty great, but playing as a Muslim is all it adds. Playing as a Muslim is pretty cool, and very different from playing Catholic, and I'd encourage anybody to try it even if they don't think they'd be interested in playing a Muslim.

Rajas of India lets you play in India, and like SoI, doesn't offer anything beyond that. I haven't really played in India yet, so really it depends on if the setting interests you.

The Republic lets you play as a merchant republic and make WIKKED STAX. It's very cool, and quite fun. I recommend it tremendously, but you're heavily, heavily limited in terms of the number of rulers it actually opens up to play as.

Sons of Abraham, as far as I care, is basically a glorified mod. A good mod, but still. It adds some interesting decisions and events, as well as a cardinal system that is useless and boring. It also lets you play as a Jew, which literally opens up (at most) 2 rulers for a given start date. You should pick it up if it's on sale, but otherwise you can pretty safely skip it.

Sunset Invasion adds an alternate history Aztec invasion of the west coast of Europe. Only buy it if you're so good at the game that you need a final boss to defeat, or if you think it's kind of a neat concept.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

"What DLC's are essential" gets asked enough that it should really go into the OP.

Legacy of Rome is widely considered the most essential DLC, since it gives you access to retinues, allowing you to field a standing army and basically break the game. AFAIK, only retinues are DLC-exclusive, all the other features it added (a slightly more fleshed out ERE) got rolled out with the patch. I could be wrong, since I don't play in the ERE.

Old Gods is probably the second-most essential DLC, even if all it did was roll the start date back to 867. It also lets you play as European pagans, probably the second-most fleshed out group after Catholics. However, the Old Gods start is really wonky courtesy of the KarlingBlob, and playing as a viking is (IMO) kinda overrated. A great DLC, but not without some flaws.

Sword of Islam opens up the most content in terms of playable rulers, since it lets you play as a Muslim. It's pretty great, but playing as a Muslim is all it adds. Playing as a Muslim is pretty cool, and very different from playing Catholic, and I'd encourage anybody to try it even if they don't think they'd be interested in playing a Muslim.

Rajas of India lets you play in India, and like SoI, doesn't offer anything beyond that. I haven't really played in India yet, so really it depends on if the setting interests you.

The Republic lets you play as a merchant republic and make WIKKED STAX. It's very cool, and quite fun. I recommend it tremendously, but you're heavily, heavily limited in terms of the number of rulers it actually opens up to play as.

Sons of Abraham, as far as I care, is basically a glorified mod. A good mod, but still. It adds some interesting decisions and events, as well as a cardinal system that is useless and boring. It also lets you play as a Jew, which literally opens up (at most) 2 rulers for a given start date. You should pick it up if it's on sale, but otherwise you can pretty safely skip it.

Sunset Invasion adds an alternate history Aztec invasion of the west coast of Europe. Only buy it if you're so good at the game that you need a final boss to defeat, or if you think it's kind of a neat concept.

I think Legacy of Rome also opens up the Schism mending and Roman Empire formation decisions and maybe the whole blinding and castrating thing too.

Also Old Gods opens up Zoroastrianism.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

DStecks posted:

SoA also has the amazingly fun possibility of giving birth to the spawn of Satan, so that's a plus. Honestly the most fun I ever had in CK2 was with my Scottish Demon-Queen, who reigned for 90 years.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Thanks for the advice on the DLC. :thumbsup:

I'm trying out a game starting as Dublin, since I have basically forgotten how to play this and the OP recommends that as a tutorial. I've picked up a couple more counties and they are now in my demesne, but I have multiple sons so there will be title loss on succession. For some reason, I can't grant the titles that will be lost to my eldest son. Should I just change my laws to Primogeniture? Is there some other way around this that people tend to use?

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Drone posted:

SoA also has the amazingly fun possibility of giving birth to the spawn of Satan, so that's a plus. Honestly the most fun I ever had in CK2 was with my Scottish Demon-Queen, who reigned for 90 years.

That along with the godlike female commanders you get from that event. :) Always a good time to divorce once that happens.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrPop posted:

Hmmmm. My Byzantine dudes seem to be lookin' more Western than Mediterranean. Could I have installed something wrong?

Possibly. HIP's automated installer's really straightforward, though, so I doubt it. It's more likely that we're miscommunicating something? If the issue really rankles you post a screenshot of a greek bro and an italian dude so that we can actually see what you're talking about.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

I'm trying out a game starting as Dublin, since I have basically forgotten how to play this and the OP recommends that as a tutorial. I've picked up a couple more counties and they are now in my demesne, but I have multiple sons so there will be title loss on succession. For some reason, I can't grant the titles that will be lost to my eldest son. Should I just change my laws to Primogeniture? Is there some other way around this that people tend to use?

Yes, switch away from Gavelkind as soon as possible; it's nothing but bad news. People have different opinions on what succession type you should switch to, but you really can't co wrong with Primogeniture.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

Welcome to gavelkind succession. The quickest way out is elective, since your vassals usually vote how you want anyway. There's not much downside unless things go catastrophically wrong. Primo takes for bloody ever to get to, and your vassals will be dragging you kicking and screaming in the opposite direction.

(A quirk of primogeniture that's non-obvious: if the firstborn dies, your secondborn doesn't necessarily become your heir like they would in gavelkind. Under primo, the firstborn's firstborn has precedence over your secondborn, so you might wind up with a surprise regency if you live for a long time and your 50-something firstborn son bites it.)

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Bold Robot posted:

Just change it to primogeniture, it's by far the best succession law and you should choose it whenever you have the possibility. As long as you have gavelkind succession (which you most likely have now) you can't give titles to your eldest son, there's no way around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

nutranurse posted:

Possibly. HIP's automated installer's really straightforward, though, so I doubt it. It's more likely that we're miscommunicating something? If the issue really rankles you post a screenshot of a greek bro and an italian dude so that we can actually see what you're talking about.

Will do when I get home. I don't care very much, but I'm a dolt when it comes to installing mods sometimes (even ones that hold your hand) so my OCD is firing and wanting me to make sure I didn't gently caress something up.

DStecks posted:

Great write up.

• Locked thread