Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Oh yeah! I totally forgot about the "store it behind the TV" thing, but still really weird that it would come with a USB IR port that then created two IR devices instead of just one of those extender things that use a headphone jack.

Not complaining but man I was ready to start editing registries; I would have never thought of this. :)

I got bit by this too a year ago, drove me nuts for a couple days before I figured out to disable the internal one. Which, by the way, is so sensitive it was picking up commands even from behind my TV (or my remote just is that strong).

Why it's the way it is is undoubtedly due to some arcane manufacturing design - these things are designed with very tight profit margins and it was probably cheaper, believe it or not, to just use the IR on the board they were using (which probably had no built in facility for an extender), and for external IR just drop in a .2 cent additional part instead of taking the time to custom-spec the board itself.

And I am sure it has annoyed virtually everyone who bought one and used the external receiver at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009
I have a weird issue where I'll randomly lose the ability to output content that has Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA and it'll instead only output at Dolby Digital and DTS respectively. When I go into the playback settings, it only gives me the options to output either Dolby Digital AC-3 or DTS, but not the HD audios. When I reboot, the options to playback all of the Dolby Digital and DTS formats come back and I'm able to output the HD audio formats again until it'll randomly decide to lose it a day later.

I usually go into Suspend mode when I'm not using it, could something be happening with the Intel drivers that it's taking away those options and leaving me with just DD and DTS until I reboot? I'm running XBMC with an Ivy Bridge i3 Intel NUC with the latest OpenELEC 4.0 Beta 5, but this has been occurring since I was using 3.2.4.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Just got my Amazon Fire in the mail and I can confirm: it is the poo poo. Only took like 5 minutes to get it going and install XBMC on it and it works like a champ.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Just got my Amazon Fire in the mail and I can confirm: it is the poo poo. Only took like 5 minutes to get it going and install XBMC on it and it works like a champ.

Which xbmc build ?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

jonathan posted:

Which xbmc build ?

Any official android Gotham build after the 17th is good to go.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

jonathan posted:

Which xbmc build ?

I used Frodo and it's working just fine. I probably should have grabbed Gotham but oh well.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The new nightly Gotham builds that have FireTV support do work pretty well, but as is always the case with nightlies, ymmv. The latest crashes pretty often for me, and very high bitrate videos tend to stutter - might have something to do with the lack of 24Hz/fps support on the FTV.

That said the FTV really does have the makings of an excellent XBMC box. There's already a good guide to get FLIRC and a couple other IR remote solutions working with not just it, but the entire FTV, which makes it easy to integrate universal remotes with.

One thing I'm noticing - anyone else see a marked decrease in video quality? Particularly with live tv? When I switch back and forth between the FTV and my regular media center the image appears much "softer". It's only with XBMC.

Edit: appears that for the moment there's no deinterlacing available in any of the builds that work with the FTV, so 1080i content (like a lot of live tv, at least in the US) won't look that great. It does work on other low-powered hardware so here's hoping.

Ixian fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 20, 2014

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Anyone else having issues with music tags in Gotham? Just gone with beta 4 and it's lumping random music together in new albums. I've made sure it's all tagged correctly but it still does it.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Bigsteve posted:

Anyone else having issues with music tags in Gotham? Just gone with beta 4 and it's lumping random music together in new albums. I've made sure it's all tagged correctly but it still does it.

Seems that currently in Gotham it reads multiple tags and figures it out it based on that, if you only have certain tags it will put them together. Also had the issue where if you have no tags at all it will not even play the files. Seems that they went strict with it in Gothan compared to all previous versions.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Having an issue and I wonder if you guys could give any suggestions.

So I've got 2 XBMC boxes running OpenELEC.

Acer Aspire R3610 with a 60GB SSD and a Foxconn A3500 with a 120GB SSD.

The acer is running Gotham and the Foxconn running Frodo.

Both have worked fine for 2+ years since I've had them. My setup was

Cable Modem -> 5th Gen Airport Extreme -> Netgear 5 Port Gigabyte Switch.

My NAS box, download server and both XBMC boxes were all connected into the Netgear. Everything worked great.

Last week my Airport Extreme died on me so I had to replace it. I picked up a Belkin N600 wireless router.

So my issue is the Acer has started loosing the network connection after about 10-15 minutes of either viewing media off the NAS box or say streaming MLB.TV. Which of course stops the media completely and either restarts where it stopped after 10-15 seconds or kicks me back to the XBMC menu.

Things I've tried

Having the Acer plugged into the router directly and having it plugged into the switch.
I upgraded the Acer to Gotham thinking there was something wrong with the install.
The Acer used to sit in my living room so I thought there might be something wrong with the network cable so I moved it into my movie room where the router/switch/nas box all reside.

None of these worked, the Acer still looses the network connection.

Now the Foxconn box doesn't seem to be having the exact problems. I've been able to stream entire games off MLB.TV with no hiccups, the only thing it seems to be doing is that every once in a while it's like the video stutters a bit while watching a movie, but it never looses network and never stops the video completely.

Is there something on this new router that I can check? Even when I had everything plugged into the switch, which should take the router out of the equation since all traffic was local and shouldn't hit the router, the Acer box still had problems.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Since Advanced Launcher doesn't work in Gotham and the developer has no interest in making it work until a stable version comes out, is there anything similar that does work in Gotham?

NIGARS
Sep 12, 2004

yeah nigars
Just wanted to say that I switched my skin from Arctic to Eminence and it is the absolute poo poo. Clean and lightweight but attractive, very logical home screen layout, super smooth performance (Arctic was sluggish even on a relatively beefy HTPC) and the best Live TV layouts I've found in any skin yet. It has that polished, professional look and kind of looks like a really fancy set-top box instead of cramming every feature and bit of eyecandy available into every screen. May not suit everybody's tastes but I love it.

Gotham only. It's also only on git, not a repo, for now, but it's really easy to install. Just open a console in your addons directory and:

code:
git clone https://github.com/jurialmunkey/skin.eminence.git
Update it by going into the skin directory and:

code:
git pull

NIGARS fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 25, 2014

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
That is loving beautiful. Really excited to see where Eminence goes.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
How's the fanart support?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

That's pretty great looking, but I'm so used to the multiple on-deck and recent items via widgets in Aeon Nox and, from the screenshots, it looks like Eminence only has the one in-progress on the movie page.

Rubby
Aug 31, 2002

<3 Louby

NIGARS posted:

Just wanted to say that I switched my skin from Arctic to Eminence and it is the absolute poo poo.

I just set up Eminence on XBMC on the Fire TV and I will say that it does blow away every other skin that i've tried in terms of usability and aesthetics. The home menu setup is aces and solves all the problems I've had with other skins being incredibly clunky and layered in menus.

Though I do have one problem - on the media hub when I select an in-progress movie or TV show it starts from the beginning rather than resuming. Does that happen for anyone else?

Thermopyle, only one is shown in the tile at a time but multiple in-progress items are available by scrolling left or right when the tile is highlighted.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

That's pretty great looking, but I'm so used to the multiple on-deck and recent items via widgets in Aeon Nox and, from the screenshots, it looks like Eminence only has the one in-progress on the movie page.

I'm still hooked on Ace with the horizontal main menu for that reason. It has Recently Added and In Progress for everything and it also lets you quickly toggle between Random, Recently Added and Progress for each as well. The randomized feature is pretty nice.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone attempt Eminence with a RaspPi able to describe the performance?

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

One problem with Eminence - its complete and utter shite to try and control with a mouse.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Tornhelm posted:

One problem with Eminence - its complete and utter shite to try and control with a mouse.

Lots of newer skins are like that. Mouse control, frankly, is a holdover from the days when HTPC's ruled XBMC usage. A lot of skins just flat out tell you not to use a mouse with them - they are made for remotes.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ixian posted:

Lots of newer skins are like that. Mouse control, frankly, is a holdover from the days when HTPC's ruled XBMC usage. A lot of skins just flat out tell you not to use a mouse with them - they are made for remotes.

Yeah, I have a cheap wireless keyboard that's small, light and perfect for XBMC from the Sofa/Bed use. If not, I can really recommend the Mele10 remote. There's also some handy configs on the XBMC forums that can remap the buttons on it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mele-Wireless-Keyboard-Intelligent-Computer/dp/B00DI4GMVG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398551397&sr=8-1&keywords=mele+f10

When you turn it over, it has a nifty little keyboard.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Doesn't really help when you've got a multiple monitor setup and want to use XBMC on one of them. Having a separate remote just for that is slightly silly.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Tornhelm posted:

Doesn't really help when you've got a multiple monitor setup and want to use XBMC on one of them. Having a separate remote just for that is slightly silly.

Can't you use your keyboard? Most of the important buttons have key bindings.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Does PsuedoTVLive actually have an EPG? Hitting the info button pops up information about the current show and I can tab forward to the next show but I can't seem to find a full sized EPG.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Tornhelm posted:

Well, for that fairly narrow use case you'll just have to stick with skins that support mice, then.

Or use your keyboard. Honestly, I don't get the point of a mouse with XBMC even if you are running it on a desktop PC setup.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone using the Webinterface to control XBMC? The stock default one is rather limited in it's usage. Yatse is amazing but I don't always feel the desire to use my phone to control the xbmc.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tornhelm posted:

I actually don't think it's silly at all. It works as a way to mentally separate the two activities: when you're focusing and working on something you use the mouse and keyboard, while when you're sitting back and watching something you use the remote.

It's not unlike using a controller to play games with. Not only do many games play better with it, but it also makes playing time feel different from working time. Or it's how it's nicer to read something long-form on a tablet rather than on a PC, while writing something long is pretty impossible on a tablet.

In this case it's not so important that you have to go out a buy a remote, but it would be worth it.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

YouTuber posted:

Anyone using the Webinterface to control XBMC? The stock default one is rather limited in it's usage. Yatse is amazing but I don't always feel the desire to use my phone to control the xbmc.

I'm using AWXi for an interface when I'm sitting at my desktop and want to control the HTPC in the same room. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it definitely does the job. I've also got a plugin for Chrome (though for the life of me, I can't recall the name) which gives me a menu that I can use for basic controls, as well as being able to push YouTube videos over to the TV quickly.

Edit: Found it.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
So has anyone got a working YouTube addon yet? I tried the hacky solution from a few pages back and I still can't get it to show my subscriptions.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
I'm starting to seriously warm up to the Fire TV as a low-cost "do most anything" media player. XBMC Gotham RC1 works really well on it, interface is fast, content plays well (note: Make sure you disable MediaCodec and only use Libstagefright for acceleration, the former doesn't work with the FTV yet) Live TV works very well (if you are sourcing h.264; MPEG-2 still needs work on the FTV) and despite some absences like HBO Go (which is coming) the streaming media experience with the FTV proper is quite nice. Throw in XBMC for local media/Live TV and you have a $99 all in one client.

It's still got a few kinks to work out (both FTV and XBMC), doesn't support 24p playback (a big deal to some people who are sensitive to 3:2 pulldown - if you don't know what any of this is then you aren't) and because Android in general doesn't allow apps to switch refresh rates on their own it may sometimes not appear to play content - particularly content from different regions, ala PAL/NTSC - as "smooth" as, say, an Intel-powered NUC - but you get a nice streaming box that XBMC works very well on for $99, including a nice remote, so take the good with the bad. Also I don't know about 10-bit playback or whatever it is you Anime nerds seem to love so someone else will have to answer that.

Anyway I have two now and spent some time tweaking things so I thought I'd share my little guide (pointers to other, better guides really). Here you go:

XBMC on the Amazon Fire TV: Quick overview.
  • Step 1: Read the official F.A.Q. - http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Amazon_Fire_TV

Walks you through sideloading XBMC and settings (easy as pie with WinADB). Seriously, it's dead simple to do and if you have an existing XBMC install it's easy to port your configs over too.

As of this post, I recommend using the official RC1 Gotham release for Android - it works really well and has a lot of improvements over Frodo (and SPMC, which is based off Frodo right now). Stay away from the nightlies for now unless you actually want to help test - they don't offer anything "better" for the FTV than RC1 does and can be unstable.

• I strongly recommend following the optional steps listed to sideload and configure Llama as well - if you enable steps 1, 2, and 4 you'll end up with an install that you can launch from the FireTV homescreen (I use the Plex app/icon for this myself) so that when XBMC is running the "home" button returns you to the FTV interface, and when you are running the main FTV home screen, the home button launches XBMC. In other apps (Netflix, etc) home works as normal, i.e. it takes you to the FTV home screen.

This will give you about as seamless experience as is possible between the two - it's really easy for family members and others who use your setup who don't dick around with it like you do to figure it out. The only drawback - and it's a minor one - is there's no "official" XBMC icon on the home screen/app section. This isn't likely to change - the XBMC group is dead-set against "gimping" XBMC for specific devices, and patent/IP issues mean XBMC will not ever be accepted to the official Amazon/Google Play stores as-is - however, at least one person is working on a "launcher" app for the FTV, which will essentially place an XBMC icon in the Apps section and launch the sideloaded XBMC proper app. Whether Amazon goes for this or not is an open question at the moment.

(Yes, Ouya did release a "gimped" version of XBMC for their store, because they are lame, and it lacks DTS/DD support and is generally useless. It's also not an official XBMC build. This is why everyone on Ouya sideloads SPMC instead).

• For skins, I recommend Eminence (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=187071) which looks awesome, is fluid and works really well on the FTV, and in general just rocks. It's still a Work In Progress, so some stuff (like music widgets) aren't in it yet but overall it's very usable day to day. And, if it just doesn't float your boat, there are many others to choose from - the FTV generally works well with most skins, even "heavy" ones like Aeon Nox, thanks to its speedy CPU and memory.

• Remote: I use FLIRC (http://flirc.tv/) with one of my FTV since I already had the previous box setup with my Harmony remote. Flirc is a "keyboard" dongle that you can easily program to accept remote commends from any IR remote and is particularly popular with Harmony Universal remote users. If you want IR integration with your FTV this is the best and easiest (though not only) way to do it.

The XBMC/Fire TV Wiki section 4.3 goes over FLIRC setup options.

• With my other FTV I just use the Amazon remote. I highly recommend following the directions listed here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Alternative_keymaps_for_Fire_TV_remote

And configuring an alternative keymap for XBMC/FTV remote. I use a slightly modified keymap 3 in case you wondered.

Doing this makes the FTV remote in to something quite useful for XBMC, despite it's limited keys, and since it is specific to XBMC it won't muck with the rest of the FTV interface. As it happens I am warming up to this approach over the Harmony remote - my family/friends actually prefer the simpler FTV remote - the lack of buttons is a deliberate choice by Amazon for a reason - and since it's BT you don't have to point it anywhere. It's not a great choice if you have a complicated setup with an AVR, multiple inputs, etc but it is great for "second TV's" or less complicated setups.
Finally I recommend a few other tweaks for XBMC and the FTV:
  • Video Caching (local is Gotham Only). Local source buffering is a major change for XBMC Gotham - previous versions only buffered "internet" sources meaning local LAN streaming was direct. If your LAN/WiFi network isn't all it could be or you stream a lot of high bitrate content (like BD rips or Live TV) you will be interested in this.

Check out this wiki page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Modify_the_video_cache for instructions on modifying/creating an advancedsettings.xml file (which you can transfer easily to the FTV following the ADB instructions in the FTV wiki, posted above). I personally found that "Example 3" in section 3.3 (all sources cached, 50mb) works fine though I may bump it to 100mb - the FTV has enough memory to handle it.

This tweak alone greatly improved Live TV streaming (from my NPVR server) to the point where I've enabled it on my non-FTV XBMC box as well.

• If you store content on a local NAS, like a Synology box, many users report that NFS shares work "better" than the standard SMB/CIFS shares those boxes output by default. Personally, my internal network is good enough that I can't see a difference (the biggest difference for me was enabling the video buffer, above) but again, if your WiFi is an edge case already it may help. Most consumer NAS's like Synology allow you to configure shares for both. If you are using a Windows server for sharing don't bother, stick with SMB.

Final tip:

• If you use the default skin (Confluence) or Eminence/a few others, you can create shortcuts to favorites right on your XMBC home menu. And you can favorite Android apps like Netflix. This means you can put a "Netflix" button in the XBMC menu that launches the Android app and returns to XMBC when you are done. Or games. Or whatever.

For this, you'll need to make sure you have script.favorites installed: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/addons/gotham/script.favourites/

And then insure you make the apps you want favorites (go to programs, Android apps, highlight the one you want, bring up the context menu, select favorite).

Then in your skin settings (for those that support it) just edit your main menu and add the favorite. Done.
Hopefully some of you find this helpful.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I do. Thank you for the writeup!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

G-Prime posted:

I'm using AWXi for an interface when I'm sitting at my desktop and want to control the HTPC in the same room. It's not the greatest thing since sliced bread, but it definitely does the job. I've also got a plugin for Chrome (though for the life of me, I can't recall the name) which gives me a menu that I can use for basic controls, as well as being able to push YouTube videos over to the TV quickly.

Edit: Found it.

This sounds awesome I'm going to give it a try. I always wanted something like that and no one told me it existed :catstare:
EDIT: I have a Zotac and on it I have openelec however I noticed I'm still on Frodo. What version of Openelec do you guys use to stay up to date?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 2, 2014

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
I've got XBMC on Windows hooked up to a Yamaha receiver through HDMI, which then goes to a Sony TV.

My problem is Windows will show the Sony TV as the only connected audio device, rather than the receiver. This causes problems when I turn the TV off.

When the TV is off, Windows correctly shows the receiver as the sound device, but it disappears when the TV comes back on.

How do I get the receiver to show in Windows and not the TV?

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Le0 posted:

This sounds awesome I'm going to give it a try. I always wanted something like that and no one told me it existed :catstare:
EDIT: I have a Zotac and on it I have openelec however I noticed I'm still on Frodo. What version of Openelec do you guys use to stay up to date?

It won't auto download/update to the Gotham beta through OE, you'll have to download the latest release from the website and do a manual update. Once you've manually updated to Gotham, then you can resume auto updating through OE with each release.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Ixian posted:

Hopefully some of you find this helpful.

I certainly do, thank you!

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Spekkio posted:

I've got XBMC on Windows hooked up to a Yamaha receiver through HDMI, which then goes to a Sony TV.

My problem is Windows will show the Sony TV as the only connected audio device, rather than the receiver. This causes problems when I turn the TV off.

When the TV is off, Windows correctly shows the receiver as the sound device, but it disappears when the TV comes back on.

Does it work when you reboot your PC? I just bought a GTX 650 and I have a similar problem except I end up with no audio devices. There's no perfect fix but I have a batch script that restarts the video card process which fixes the audio until I turn off the TV and receiver again. I used eventghost to run it from a button on my remote.

This may not be your issue though.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

wolfbiker posted:

It won't auto download/update to the Gotham beta through OE, you'll have to download the latest release from the website and do a manual update. Once you've manually updated to Gotham, then you can resume auto updating through OE with each release.

Ohh that's why then. THanks I'll do a manual update then

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Spekkio posted:

What are you actually trying to achieve? Im using a similar setup with the same thing but everything still works. You should still be getting your sound from your amp.
Im guessing you are wanting to use your amp for music without your TV on?

Mine is set to HDMI ausio out and the TV is set in screen properties. I will check when I get home but pretty sure a TV shows up in all the windows sound choices.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

What are you actually trying to achieve? Im using a similar setup with the same thing but everything still works. You should still be getting your sound from your amp.
Im guessing you are wanting to use your amp for music without your TV on?

Mine is set to HDMI ausio out and the TV is set in screen properties. I will check when I get home but pretty sure a TV shows up in all the windows sound choices.

No, he wants audio coming out of the receiver when the TV is on but only the TV is showing as an audio device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Spekkio posted:

What model Yamaha receiver?