Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

LastInLine posted:

I didn't ask this the last time you posted it for exactly the reason I'm hesitant to do so now but why are you trying to do this?

I've found that music sounds better through the external DAC and I want to see if it can be done, I've been digging through this thread on headfi for details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
With Poweramp, is there a way to hide the next list buttons? While I fat finger them only occasionally still really annoying when I do it. Just a feature I never use.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Are there any lockscreen apps that let me archive or delete emails from the lockscreen? I've gotten kind of addicted to Mailbox's swiping features, and really wish there were something similar from the lockscreen.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Is there a better app for Wikipedia than the official one? I used Wikipanion on iOS and really liked it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Anjow posted:

Is there a better app for Wikipedia than the official one? I used Wikipanion on iOS and really liked it.

Can't remember who plugged it earlier, but EveryWiki is really good. I especially like the way it uses the table of contents so you can easily navigate pages.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

dik-dik posted:

Can't remember who plugged it earlier, but EveryWiki is really good. I especially like the way it uses the table of contents so you can easily navigate pages.

Thanks, that's the feature I was primarily missing.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is Llama the best location/action app out there? I use it to silence my phone at work, and to give me quiet hours. I know there is Tasker but I want something simpler.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Woodsy Owl posted:

edit: What's the consensus on audio (music) player with regards to the best one?

I think most people will tell you Poweramp, but I can't stand the way that poo poo looks. Shuttle+ and PlayerPro are worth a look.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

kri kri posted:

Is Llama the best location/action app out there? I use it to silence my phone at work, and to give me quiet hours. I know there is Tasker but I want something simpler.

IFTTT can do some of that device specific stuff with location.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

IFTTT can do some of that device specific stuff with location.

Hmm - can it do quiet hours or is there another app I can use for that?

Nevermind - I found a recipe on their website. Wow, this app rules.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 2, 2014

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, it's a pretty neat app. Very easy to use but the huge boulder of salt is that it isn't as powerful as Tasker/Llama.

It's really geared towards social media.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty neat app. Very easy to use but the huge boulder of salt is that it isn't as powerful as Tasker/Llama.

It's really geared towards social media.

Yeah, but it looks like at least for what I was using Llama for it works for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is the new Facebook app hard locking anyone else's phone? Stock Verizon Note 2. Sort of frustrating to have my phone not respond to the power button, then a minute later it fires up to life and the phone goes "Facebook is not responding, would you like to close it?" Facebook isn't even open when it happens, which is the frustrating part.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

dik-dik posted:

Are there any lockscreen apps that let me archive or delete emails from the lockscreen? I've gotten kind of addicted to Mailbox's swiping features, and really wish there were something similar from the lockscreen.

That seems like a terrible idea. It would let any rear end in a top hat with physical access to your phone gently caress with your email.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

That seems like a terrible idea. It would let any rear end in a top hat with physical access to your phone gently caress with your email.

I realize the potential security risks. I'm not concerned. My important emails all go to my school email address, for which I have to enter a passcode every time I open the app. My original question still stands.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
So what do I do if I can't find a podcast on Pocket Casts? I can't seem to get the Kunstlercast to show up in search.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Drunk Tomato posted:

So what do I do if I can't find a podcast on Pocket Casts? I can't seem to get the Kunstlercast to show up in search.

You can put the feed URL in the search box.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You can put the feed URL in the search box.

This might be a good time to plug PushBullet again, which is (among other things) the best way I know of to quickly send urls from my computer to my phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

dik-dik posted:

This might be a good time to plug PushBullet again, which is (among other things) the best way I know of to quickly send urls from my computer to my phone.
PushBullet is great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
This maybe isn't the thread for this, but has anyone else has issues with the PS3 and Chromecast YouTube app? I get dropped connections and restarts on videos quite frequently. I seem to be able to stream fairly consistently with other apps well enough, so I don't think it's the network connection.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What is the best stocks finance app for Android in you guys opinion?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

keyframe posted:

What is the best stocks finance app for Android in you guys opinion?

What do you need it to do? I normally just use my bank's app (Schwab).

Oh Lordy Lord
Dec 31, 2004

Hangouts (stock Nexus 4) question:

Does anyone have any ideas about why this contact photo is not displaying correctly in my notifications? The contact definitely has a photo assigned, which the phone will display in the SMS list, dialer app, etc. There are more contacts that do the same thing. Why is the phone having trouble showing the photo in this one situation?

Additionally, is there a way to get Hangouts to use a particular contact photo when said person has multiple account photos (G+, Facebook via HaxSync, etc.)? As it stands, Hangouts seems to basically pick whatever loving photo it feels like (regardless of what I set as the default), only displaying it in certain instances.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Has anyone on the latest Google Search (version 3.4, the one with parking location) had their Google Now weather card stop showing up in the notification pane?

Also it sure does trigger the fine location notification a lot when looking for the parking spot. I doubt it's impacting the battery but the notification being present is annoying.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Oh Lordy Lord posted:

Hangouts (stock Nexus 4) question:

Does anyone have any ideas about why this contact photo is not displaying correctly in my notifications? The contact definitely has a photo assigned, which the phone will display in the SMS list, dialer app, etc. There are more contacts that do the same thing. Why is the phone having trouble showing the photo in this one situation?

Additionally, is there a way to get Hangouts to use a particular contact photo when said person has multiple account photos (G+, Facebook via HaxSync, etc.)? As it stands, Hangouts seems to basically pick whatever loving photo it feels like (regardless of what I set as the default), only displaying it in certain instances.

I came to post these exact questions. Since the latest update, it's gone crazy in regards to what photo it displays (or if it will display one). It stopped displaying my gf's photo in the notification bar and the overvuew, but it would display in the conversation thread. I manually changed her photo in my Google contacts and it started showing that. Then, it reverted to not showing. Added a contact photo to her G+ account and that seems to have resolved it, but I don't trust it to not break again randomly. It's happening with a handful of other contacts and I don't exactly have access to their phones to edit their G+ (after actually creating them a profile).

I'm on a Note 3, so I'm thinking it's due to the app itself and not software specific.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

I came to post these exact questions. Since the latest update, it's gone crazy in regards to what photo it displays (or if it will display one). It stopped displaying my gf's photo in the notification bar and the overvuew, but it would display in the conversation thread. I manually changed her photo in my Google contacts and it started showing that. Then, it reverted to not showing. Added a contact photo to her G+ account and that seems to have resolved it, but I don't trust it to not break again randomly. It's happening with a handful of other contacts and I don't exactly have access to their phones to edit their G+ (after actually creating them a profile).

I'm on a Note 3, so I'm thinking it's due to the app itself and not software specific.
I use Hangouts extensively and have not seen this issue though everyone I know has a picture in G+ and thus has a high-res picture synced in my contact list.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Started happening to me too after the hangouts update but only for SMS contacts.

Oh Lordy Lord
Dec 31, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Started happening to me too after the hangouts update but only for SMS contacts.

I really want to get rid of this app...

Do any other SMS replacements have similar features with better implementation?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Oh Lordy Lord posted:

I really want to get rid of this app...

Do any other SMS replacements have similar features with better implementation?

What features are you looking for? My favorite non-hangouts SMS app is MySMS but it's terrible for group chat (at least, when I last checked)

Oh Lordy Lord
Dec 31, 2004

dik-dik posted:

What features are you looking for? My favorite non-hangouts SMS app is MySMS but it's terrible for group chat (at least, when I last checked)

SMS is far more important than Hangouts for me, but integration would be nice. So something that does group messaging via SMS smoothly would be good. Also, as you may have noticed, I am strangely infuriated when my contact photos don't work correctly. :ssj:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Oh Lordy Lord posted:

SMS is far more important than Hangouts for me, but integration would be nice.
Given that Hangouts is now proprietary, there is exactly one app that can integrate with Hangouts: Hangouts.

Speaking of integration, does Hangouts automatically select mode of transport (SMS/Hangouts) based on whether the intended recipient is signed into Hangouts? I don't use SMS to know if it works like iOS where it's intelligent enough to only do SMS in a fallback scenario or if the user has to make that call.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Given that Hangouts is now proprietary, there is exactly one app that can integrate with Hangouts: Hangouts.

Speaking of integration, does Hangouts automatically select mode of transport (SMS/Hangouts) based on whether the intended recipient is signed into Hangouts? I don't use SMS to know if it works like iOS where it's intelligent enough to only do SMS in a fallback scenario or if the user has to make that call.

No it does not.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I think it will automatically switch between them based on what you receive, but other than that it's not very smart at choosing.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
For what it's worth I really like evolve sms. It has a snazzy interface and I like the pop up messaging.

No bugs or anything experienced so far.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I found MySMS super slow and clunky, but I use Textra mostly. I find it's basic enough to work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there a quick, uncomplicated no-frills take-notes-drawing-with-your-finger app?

robodex posted:

I found MySMS super slow and clunky, but I use Textra mostly. I find it's basic enough to work.

For basic very fast SMS I'd say go with 8sms, which is the stock pre-hangouts SMS app with a few improvements and extra features.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I just got nova launcher, and when I switch to it a number of my applications change their title to a different language. For example, Google play becomes Obchod Play. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
While we're on the subject of SMS, my phone just updated to Kit Kat making one of my apps, which intercepts texts from my 911 dispatcher and puts them in a nice format, unable to prevent texts from passing through to the messenger client. Since that's basically broken, does anyone know a messaging app that doesn't go top level with its permission requests? Gosms handles texts at the highest priority, preventing other apps from intercepting them. Since my poo poo's broken for now anyways I'd like to use another, but I don't want to use gosms in case they fix this KitKat problem.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Is the new Facebook app hard locking anyone else's phone? Stock Verizon Note 2. Sort of frustrating to have my phone not respond to the power button, then a minute later it fires up to life and the phone goes "Facebook is not responding, would you like to close it?" Facebook isn't even open when it happens, which is the frustrating part.

I've been getting this too on my Nexus 5,though I don't think I've seen it happen when Facebook is closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Ober
Apr 26, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

I've been getting this too on my Nexus 5,though I don't think I've seen it happen when Facebook is closed.

Same here. Started to happen right after their latest UI update.

• Locked thread