Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

The DBHG method is super easy. You can easily see, hear, and smell where you're at in the roast at all times, and you just turn off the heat gun when you want to stop.

The worst that's ever happened to me was roasting too dark on my first attempt and burning myself a couple of times by absentmindedly trying to pick up the bowl without an oven mitt. If you use common sense, it's very difficult to mess up after the first couple of times.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can you link to the equipment I need for the DBHG method? Can I buy everything on Amazon?

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Mu Zeta posted:

Can you link to the equipment I need for the DBHG method? Can I buy everything on Amazon?

This. I already have a hot air gun (unless I need some specific one), but a dog bowl really isn't a requirement right? I have a big stainless steel bowl like the ones they use to season fries in, would something like that work or would it be too thin?

vvv I forgot I had some welding gloves which I think would be perfect for this, thanks!
Also I meant to plug this earlier but Happy Mug Coffee sells 8lb varietal sampler packs for $40 shipped. I've been happy with it so far, just wanted to let some goons know in case they were looking for some cheap good quality beans

Timid fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 29, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Timid posted:

This. I already have a hot air gun (unless I need some specific one), but a dog bowl really isn't a requirement right? I have a big stainless steel bowl like the ones they use to season fries in, would something like that work or would it be too thin?

Most dog bowls aren't that thick either, you're probably fine. I suppose a large shallow saucepan would be the true ideal (heck it even has a handle to not totally scorch yourself but you should invest in a pair of leather work gloves for DBHG method regardless, plus leather work gloves are generally handy creatures to have around).

I will take no blame if you destroy your steel bowl somehow though. The dog bowls are chosen more for being cheap and not something you will miss if you gently caress it up with the heat gun somehow.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm on my phone, but I can tell you what you need.

The $20 wagner heat gun from homedepot

64oz flat bottom, stainless steel dog bowl (for .5 lbs). You size the bowl to the amount of beans you're planning on roasting. I'll find the link later, but a guy did some tests and found that bowl size made a difference.

Heat resistant glove

Wooden spoon

And a diy bean cooler (metal strainer, cardboard, shopvac/fan)

A towel or a non slip pad to keep the bowl from sliding around as you stir

Sweet Maria's sampler

As far as technique, you want to hold the gun stationary, 1" (no more than that, seriously) above the beans until first crack, back off a bit to slow it down after it starts. Stir the beans consistently into the heat. If you ever need to stop, remove the heat before you stop stirring. Always plug the heat gun directly into the wall, never use an extension cord or power strip.

Use a timer as well, you should never really have to exceed 15m for a half pound. If you are, you're holding the gun too far away or you need to try a different outlet.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 29, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Thanks a lot for this info! Could you give the (approximate) dimensions of the 64 oz dog bowl in case I decide to go with a stainless steel mixing bowl instead?

E: Oh, and, for anyone in the market for a good cheap pouring kettle, I've used my fino for a few brews so far and think it's pretty great. Can't compare it to anything else, but I love it.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 29, 2014

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

dik-dik posted:

Thanks a lot for this info! Could you give the (approximate) dimensions of the 64 oz dog bowl in case I decide to go with a stainless steel mixing bowl instead?

I don't have the bowl anymore, upgraded to a behmor. Keep in mind it's going to be difficult to hold a heat gun, spoon, and keep a round bottom bowl steady. That dog bowl was $4 at the local pet store.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

I don't have the bowl anymore, upgraded to a behmor. Keep in mind it's going to be difficult to hold a heat gun, spoon, and keep a round bottom bowl steady. That dog bowl was $4 at the local pet store.

So why did you upgrade to the behmor? Has it been worth it? How's the smoke? I'll be moving up north soon where I won't have the luxury of roasting outside during winter like here in houston, so curious about that.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

I did a very short write-up on it here. You can certainly find everything on Amazon, but most of it is pretty generic, outside of the heat gun - which I did provide an Amazon link for, in that post. If my four-month-old cooperates, I'll take pictures tonight, as pictures of the cooling device especially are helpful.

Edit - This post may also be somewhat useful, as it clarifies a bit of the above post.

becoming fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 29, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

nwin posted:

So why did you upgrade to the behmor? Has it been worth it? How's the smoke? I'll be moving up north soon where I won't have the luxury of roasting outside during winter like here in houston, so curious about that.

The main reason to upgrade from a heat gun to a behmor is so you can be lazy and browse the forums while the machine takes your beans to first crack. The heat gun gives you more manual control but the Behmor is almost as good and a lot less :effort:

I use mine under the vent hood on my stove and don't have any issue with smoke in the house

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

o muerte posted:

The main reason to upgrade from a heat gun to a behmor is so you can be lazy and browse the forums while the machine takes your beans to first crack. The heat gun gives you more manual control but the Behmor is almost as good and a lot less :effort:

I use mine under the vent hood on my stove and don't have any issue with smoke in the house

Yeah, I like it because I'm lazy. Honestly, I think the roasts I was getting with the dbhg tasted more complex. Dbhg is basically a fluid bed roaster, and there is an inherit taste difference between drum and fluid bed roasters.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah I hear ya. I'm using an old air popper I found on ebay and generally do two batches in a row (about 1 cup total) and that lasts me about a week. It's alright. Generally takes me 6-7 minutes for the first roast, then cooldown for 5 minutes, then 3 minutes for the second batch...so we're looking around 15-20 minutes a week I'm spending on it. However, that's in Houston where it's always warm save for a few times I have to roast inside during the winter. The wife just doesn't like the smoke/smell it generates.

New place I'm moving to in Mass has a garage, so I could probably just keep using that. However, was thinking about the Behmor if it cut down on smoke any.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

It'll still stink up a room. Roast under the stove hood or roast next to an open window/door with a fan setup. I imagine you'll fine the garage though. It's definitely less smokey than the dbhg, for sure.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 30, 2014

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Whatever you use make sure you've got a decent fresh air supply, even if there's not a lot of smoke you're going to produce a shitload of CO2 in an enclosed space.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I got my Bonavita Variable kettle yesterday and I really like it. I've been using the Hario kettle for years and the Bonavita is clearly better. I find it much easier to control the pour rate. You don't need to really use any skill when using a Chemex but this kettle will let you sperg out and pour really slowly if you want. It also has a little guard in the handle so that your hand doesn't get burned even if you touch the metal kettle.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

I got my Bonavita Variable kettle yesterday and I really like it. I've been using the Hario kettle for years and the Bonavita is clearly better. I find it much easier to control the pour rate. You don't need to really use any skill when using a Chemex but this kettle will let you sperg out and pour really slowly if you want. It also has a little guard in the handle so that your hand doesn't get burned even if you touch the metal kettle.

Yeah this kettle loving rocks. Also how did I not know it has a built-in timer feature? And to think, I was almost going to order a kitchen timer from Amazon.

VVVV where'd you see that? I only see the non-gooseneck kind in 1.7L

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 1, 2014

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
And now bonavita just came out with a 1.7L gooseneck variable temp. Guess I'll add another kettle to the collection.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Just got my Baratza Encore, does anyone have some suggested grind settings for french press, Aeropress, and Chemex? Just so I have something to start experimenting from without having to do a bunch of tester grinds.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

kim jong-illin posted:

Just got my Baratza Encore, does anyone have some suggested grind settings for french press, Aeropress, and Chemex? Just so I have something to start experimenting from without having to do a bunch of tester grinds.

40, 10, 28, in that order. Beans will play a part in the Chemex - the fresher they are, the faster it seems to drain. Adjust your grind down accordingly.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

becoming posted:

Beans will play a part in the Chemex - the fresher they are, the faster it seems to drain. Adjust your grind down accordingly.

Does this apply to a V60 as well, by chance? I just picked one up, and haven't tried it with very fresh beans yet, but I definitely noticed this effect with the Chemex. I've got my Skerton adjusted drat near as fine as it will grind to achieve a ~2:45 brew time (with 0:30 bloom, 16:1 ratio, 400mL water) in the V60, but that's with some prepackaged Barnie's beans that don't really bloom at all.

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...

dik-dik posted:

E: Oh, and, for anyone in the market for a good cheap pouring kettle, I've used my fino for a few brews so far and think it's pretty great. Can't compare it to anything else, but I love it.

2qt stainless steel mixing bowl does any amount up to a pound without issue. More than that and you'll be throwing beans like crazy when you stir (this should give you indication of how much you should be stirring). If you go with a bigger bowl, you will start losing heat very quickly.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

enojy posted:

Does this apply to a V60 as well, by chance? I just picked one up, and haven't tried it with very fresh beans yet, but I definitely noticed this effect with the Chemex. I've got my Skerton adjusted drat near as fine as it will grind to achieve a ~2:45 brew time (with 0:30 bloom, 16:1 ratio, 400mL water) in the V60, but that's with some prepackaged Barnie's beans that don't really bloom at all.

I re-read your question and I think you were asking whether you'll need to grind finer with better beans. The answer: very possibly, but there is only one way to know. :)

My original response (when I thought you were asking whether you were gonna overflow your V60) may be useful/helpful to someone, so I will leave it below.

Probably, but I haven't noticed. The thick Chemex filter pressed right up against the glass really seems to slow down the drain, whereas the big hole and ridges on the V60 make it drain pretty quickly. I have absolutely backed up my Chemex, needing to pause a pour, but this has never been a problem for me on the V60.

An example may illustrate this better, so: I have the 10-cup Chemex, which is supposed to hold 50 ounces/1.5L. Let's say I want to wind up with 1L of coffee, so I'll grind 66g beans and pour 1100mL water. We're really not looking to go much past 4:00 on our brew, plus maybe 30 seconds drawdown - so 4:30 from when water hits the beans until we pull the grounds/filter and dispose of it. Pouring 1100mL of water in 240 seconds means a rate of 275mL/minute - not a very slow rate at all. Indeed, it's actually pretty fast. You also lose some time to the bloom. Chemex tends to require about 10% of total water volume to fully saturate the grounds, in my experience, so we pour 100mL water and our bloom finishes at about 0:45 - meaning we now have ~195 seconds to pour the remaining 1000mL of water, for a pour rate of 307mL/minute. This is pretty darn fast.

The coffee grounds absorb water, somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of the pour volume. (It's not exactly 10%, because the filter also absorbs some of the water, and I notice that both combined account for right around 10%.) As they absorb water, they expand. What was already a pretty full filter of dry coffee grounds becomes an even fuller filter of wet coffee grounds, meaning you've got even less physical room for error. At this point, our pour rate comes into play. If pour rate is faster than the drain rate, the water level will rise; the less room you have in the filter, the less of a discrepancy you can tolerate.

When I was grinding beans at ~22 on my Virtuoso, my drain rate was much slower than my pour rate, meaning I needed to pause my pour. This isn't absolutely horrible, but the end result was that hot water was in contact with the grounds for about 6:00 instead of 4:30. As I've complained many times in the thread, I am verrrrrrrry sensitive to over-extraction, so this was a problem for me. Taking my grind size up to 28 has made it just about perfect for me.

Now, could you have this problem in a V60? Theoretically, yes. If you are brewing a large batch, so the cone is already nearly full, and if your grind is very small, you might be forced to pause. In practice, because of the ridges and the large bottom hole, the V60 drains very quickly. You can over-extract in a V60 - I have done it - but it's difficult. I grind at 16-18 for the V60, so quite a bit finer than most other brewing methods, and it still drains very quickly.

Edit - Mu Zeta, which did you wind up doing? 4:1? I cannot get enough of the 8:1, then mix 1:1 with milk and drop a few ice cubes in. Hoooooooooo boy it is good. The natural sweetness of the milk is just perfect with it.

becoming fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 1, 2014

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

70 degrees today in San Francisco. That cold brew recipe is a life saver. Filled with ice and milk, so loving good. And the stores would charge like $5 for a serving.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply! I'm none too worried about overflowing my V60, as I bought the 02 (larger capacity right?) and I'm only using it for a cup at a time, which is 400mL for me.

My original statement was misleading, as I misinterpreted what you said -- in my experience (which is very little; I've been at this maybe a few months,) I've had to use a slightly coarser grind in my Chemex for fresh beans, as it seemed as if they were more absorptive. It was working pretty well, and I'd finish the brew in about 4:30 (3:45 plus 0:45 for bloom.) That same consistency grind applied to Dunkin' Donuts, Barnie's (not the in-house roasted stuff), etc. just results in the water seemingly flowing right through the grind in like 3:00 or less.

I'm not really able to find a good consistency in the grind for cheaper beans in the Chemex without getting backed up from time to time. I just picked up the V60 on a whim, so I'm glad its faster flow rate is a side effect; I can still brew cheaper stuff without overextracting it.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Which grind do you guys use on a Baratza Encore for CCD? Having trouble getting the best cup and I've tried different grinds.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Which grind do you guys use on a Baratza Encore for CCD? Having trouble getting the best cup and I've tried different grinds.

I use 15 on my encore for a ccd, but a barista once told me grind numbers between machines are not really consistent.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wow. 15 on my Encore turns it into powder. I think mine is broke? I do 24 for Chemex or CCD.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
The numbers on any grinder's adjustment dial are just an index, and depend entirely on where the "zero" is set. The adjustment also varies over time as the burrs break in, especially when the grinder is new. Even with the same grinder model, you can never rely on one person's "15" being the same as another person's "15".

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I forget who posted it, but is there a guide/recipe for the cold brew? Could use a link :)

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
Related to that: my pitcher, which I want to use to brew a large batch of cold brew, is too big to fit in my fridge. If I leave it outside in room temp, what adjustments do I have to make to brew time? I expect that the extraction time should be decreased due to the higher temp, but how much?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Google Butt posted:

I forget who posted it, but is there a guide/recipe for the cold brew? Could use a link :)

Becoming posted one here

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Archer2338 posted:

Related to that: my pitcher, which I want to use to brew a large batch of cold brew, is too big to fit in my fridge. If I leave it outside in room temp, what adjustments do I have to make to brew time? I expect that the extraction time should be decreased due to the higher temp, but how much?

Cold brew doesn't need to be brewed in the fridge. I never brew mine in the fridge, always in my pantry, which is room temperature. Once it's brewed and the grounds are separated, I store the coffee concentrate in the fridge, in a mason jar. Everyone says it will keep for "up to two weeks", but a) realistically it won't last that long, and b) I forgot a jar for a month and it was still awesome.

I have written a pretty short cold-brew guide, and you can read it by clicking this link. Thanks for making that super easy for me, dik-dik! Also, now that I go back and read it, I wrote it in response to you, so: thanks for spurring me to write that, dik-dik!

becoming fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 2, 2014

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mu Zeta posted:

70 degrees today in San Francisco. That cold brew recipe is a life saver. Filled with ice and milk, so loving good. And the stores would charge like $5 for a serving.

:argh: It was 93 today in San Jose, buddy!

But yeah, that cold brew's pretty loving good. I'm not even normally a fan of cold brew but daaaaaamn does it hit the spot.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

So my girlfriend got an ice cream maker attachment for our stand mixer, and i feel like trying to make coffee ice cream with it.

Anyone have thoughts about if its worth getting some decent quality beans to make it with? I'd imagine that by the time its done most of the distinct flavours of the bean would be lost, right?

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Does anyone have any experience with something like this? It's a portable french press/travel mug that seems perfect for what I need but it's expensive and I can't tell from the amazon page how much of a pain in the rear end it is to clean.
http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Insulat...e+and+tea+press

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Wowporn posted:

Does anyone have any experience with something like this? It's a portable french press/travel mug that seems perfect for what I need but it's expensive and I can't tell from the amazon page how much of a pain in the rear end it is to clean.

I got one for Christmas one year and its not any more difficult to clean than a regular french press. It doesn't work the best because you have the grounds sitting in the bottom for the duration of you drinking the coffee, so it makes the last bit of sludge extra... sludgy.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Wowporn posted:

The issue with all of these portable press mugs is that if you leave hot coffee in contact with the grounds (which you must, by design), it will over-extract, and you will get bitter coffee. How much of a problem this is for you, no one but you can say. If you like diner coffee, you'll probably tolerate this just fine.

The difference between doing this on-the-go and doing it home and pouring into a travel mug is about five minutes, four of which are spent waiting for the grounds to steep (and thus can be spent doing something else). What you gain is good press-pot coffee that you don't have to drink immediately to keep from getting bitter. I submit that it may be worth it to you to consider a small press pot and a travel mug.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!
Just brewed with my wave 155 for the first time using...

24 virtuoso
23g coffee
345g water
200f
45 second bloom
3 minute brewing time

Came out decent. I've actually stopped using the victrola beans because I don't like the really strong acidity. Instead I've been using a peet's african which might or might not be good quality. What stood out the most with the 155 is that brewing with a gooseneck is super simple, cleanup is much faster than with a french press, and I like the clarity of fine-filtered coffee much more than french.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

So my girlfriend got an ice cream maker attachment for our stand mixer, and i feel like trying to make coffee ice cream with it.

Anyone have thoughts about if its worth getting some decent quality beans to make it with? I'd imagine that by the time its done most of the distinct flavours of the bean would be lost, right?

Most of the regional flavors might be lost, but if you are making ice cream and you use a poor quality ingredient as your main flavoring, you can't expect that flavor to be as good. More so than flavor nuances, you just want fresh coffee. I've made coffee ice cream before and I used a double shot of espresso as well as some espresso grind beans in the mix. You don't want to add much liquid or you'll have way too much water in your mix and you will get larger ice crystals and it will end up grainy. If you can't make espresso, do a cold brew concentrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wowporn
May 31, 2012

HarumphHarumphHarumph
Bitter sludge is kind of a non issue for me, so as long as the thing itself isn't a piece of poo poo then I'm good, thanks.