Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Ruggington posted:

People seem to like to go over 100, but 98 is just gravy

I'm basing this off of this video and my own experience; I don't know if anyone else has done a more conclusive test though

95-100 agility is what you want if drinking and rolling feels sluggish compared to Dark Souls 1. You can go higher, but don't rush it at the cost of the rest of your build.

I worked up to it on my dexterity guy, and agility at 110 is loving fantastic. You can roll through almost anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Domattee posted:

e: VVV Taking my time is whats killing me. I've fought the dude 20 times now and as soon as he splits I never have an opening to do damage, or heal, or even regen stamina. I run out of stamina just trying to dodge roll their neverending attacks. It'd be a little less bullshit if at least their attacks synched up so it's not one guy oneshotting you as you dodge the other guys OHK

This VVVVV poo poo is a completely nonsensical way to reply to somebody on a forum like this, for reasons that are obvious, and I wish people would stop doing it.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'd summon more red sign soapstones if there was actually some sort of reward for beating one. Losing to one costs me an effigy, or else gimps me in the fight by forcing me to lose a ring slot or start at lesser health. I really don't need any more souls, but I'd love a silky stone or something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Brasseye posted:

It hasnt happened to me yet but I would stand around and cheer the red phantom on if I saw someone do this.

If I get summoned as a bellbro and there's already another one there fighting the host, I wait my turn. :colbert:

If the bellbro beats the host, I win anyways. If the host wins, then he's earned the right to challenge me :black101:

Mzbundifund posted:

I'd summon more red sign soapstones if there was actually some sort of reward for beating one. Losing to one costs me an effigy, or else gimps me in the fight by forcing me to lose a ring slot or start at lesser health. I really don't need any more souls, but I'd love a silky stone or something.

They should let you use red signs even if you're not full human. You can be invaded when you're not full human!

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 2, 2014

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Arthur Crackpot posted:

But sometimes, it's fun to just drop a red sign, get summoned, bow to each other as equals and duke it out. I was simply expressing frustration towards a string of people who didn't want to let me have that kind of fun.

This is stupid if you expect other people to do it though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FauxGateau posted:

Maybe the fact that we don't know what the villain wants is a sign of a terrible story.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I'm positive they lost some writers who knew what the gently caress the Dark and the Abyss are supposed to be between DS1 and DS2.

Because Darkdiver Grahl and Nashandra are loving incoherent and the word Dark becomes utterly meaningless by the end of this game :v:

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Reason posted:

This is stupid if you expect other people to do it though.

And where did I say I expect it? I said I was expressing frustration because I got a string of such people.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Darklurker: As others have said, pyromancy rips it apart. 3 or 4 Sunlight Spears or a couple of Great Lightning Spears also do it in, often before it can split. Be aware that the rear end in a top hat can get attacks off while technically already dead.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

No death run update: I died :D

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've said it before, I'll say it again: I'm positive they lost some writers who knew what the gently caress the Dark and the Abyss are supposed to be between DS1 and DS2.

Because Darkdiver Grahl and Nashandra are loving incoherent and the word Dark becomes utterly meaningless by the end of this game :v:
I don't even know is this a case of a bad translation or just plain bad writing

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
So you're basically supposed to play with an Xbox controller?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Illegal Username posted:

I don't even know is this a case of a bad translation or just plain bad writing

Pretty sure all of the Souls games actually start with English in mind. As in even the Japanese versions use the English VA.

The Royal Scrub posted:

Yes. How is this surprising?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Manatee Cannon posted:

Pretty sure all of the Souls games actually start with English in mind. As in even the Japanese versions use the English VA.

Like I said then, probably an issue of writer discontinuity.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

The Royal Scrub posted:

Yeah, don't even bother with mouse/keyboard. They did a better job with the PC controls this time around, but still not quite adequate.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

masato tatanka posted:

Well you're not going to at least tell us how far you made it?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Zaphod42 posted:

They should let you use red signs even if you're not full human. You can be invaded when you're not full human!

Um, you can use red signs if you aren't human. Mind you, if you aren't wearing the ring that makes you appear human you open yourself up to be soul appeased.

Had that happen to me before. First time I'd seen the spell, so I kinda walked into it.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

masato tatanka posted:

Tell us what killed you, friend.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Um, you can use red signs if you aren't human. Mind you, if you aren't wearing the ring that makes you appear human you open yourself up to be soul appeased.

Had that happen to me before. First time I'd seen the spell, so I kinda walked into it.

Oh, right. I guess I just see them so infrequently I forgot, and I kinda misread the post I was responding to.

People need to use red soapstone more, I don't mind dying to a duel I agreed to nearly as much as dying to an invader who waited until I was fighting a mob to come up and backstab me :smith:

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
It lets me log in now but then get stuck on "initializing online mode" when I select a character.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I was on my way to fight Lost Sinner and Lucatiel fell off a set of stairs and her phantom was vanquished. How screwed am I for finishing her storyline and getting her reward? Is it worth using, anyway? Will she appear anywhere in non-phantom form (I had already seen her in Earthen Peak before this phantom death) that I should just go kill her at before NG+?

In other news, I was gonna Bellbro this morning but as discussed, servers were down, so I just took that chance to do a run-through and loot grab in Belfry Sol instead. heh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

pmchem posted:

I was on my way to fight Lost Sinner and Lucatiel fell off a set of stairs and her phantom was vanquished. How screwed am I for finishing her storyline and getting her reward? Is it worth using, anyway? Will she appear anywhere in non-phantom form (I had already seen her in Earthen Peak before this phantom death) that I should just go kill her at before NG+?

In other news, I was gonna Bellbro this morning but as discussed, servers were down, so I just took that chance to do a run-through and loot grab in Belfry Sol instead. heh.

Try resting at the bonfire and checking her summon sign again. If it's not there, well, there's like five places you can summon her.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Wow, in the Old Iron King fight, the hole near the fog door is a gigantic gently caress you. Ugh.

e: at the very least, the run back isn't horrible. Note to people having trouble in the Iron Keep: Use a Mace, seriously - if you have the wrong stat build, make it Raw. It changes the experience from frustrating to a breeze.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

pmchem posted:

Can't you just reload and summon her again?

As far as Lucatiel is concerned, you need to beat at least three bosses with her (and she has to survive), before having your final conversation with her. And there are four bosses where you're able to summon her. While the most straightforward option is to beat three different bosses at NG difficulty, you can also use ascetics and farm one boss repeatedly.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

The Royal Scrub posted:

No, the keyboard & mouse controls aren't the best ever made. But they work. A simple autohotkey script fixes the double-click issue.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Is the "stopping at SL 150" thing still a thing? Because everyone doing that would be steamrolled by any player not agreeing with the way "organized PvP" works. You'd duel with lvl 250 guys having the same SM you have.

150 is also very, very low, you can easily get to it in the first playthrough by doing some pvp and white phantom work. Am I the only one having fun leveling up in NG+ and above?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I dunno, it seems like a reasonable place to stop leveling and I've never felt outmatched because of it.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Mace of the insolent and power stanced maces is hilarious in pvp. Put sunlight blade on both of them then switch to force and watch my opponent be horribly confused as I stagger them then beat them to death.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Kawabata posted:

Tell us what killed you, friend.

first place I went was Grave of Saints, was a tick of stamina away from killing the bellyflop exploder that 1-shot me from full health right before The Gutter.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

You can cancel out of emotes now so its really a non issue.

I can't imagine if it or owns.

On one hand, emotes are no longer the ultimate "whatever bitch I can make myself a huge target by taunting you and still win" they were in PvP.

On the other hand, you can now do the welcome animation in front of someone and smash them into the ground as they charge at you in an attempt to score a cheap shot.

Verdict: it owns, but only until every jerk in PvP realizes it can be canceled

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Raygereio posted:

No, the keyboard & mouse controls aren't the best ever made. But they work. A simple autohotkey script fixes the double-click issue.

So they dont work.

If you need outside scripts and poo poo, it doesn't work. The good majority of people out there wont go hunting for this.

The days of not owning a controller on the PC are over (I don't even know why it was considered finished when back in the day we had Gravis Ultrapads and other controllers).

Straight up: If you don't have the Xbox PC controller you're loving yourself over.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Kawabata posted:

Is the "stopping at SL 150" thing still a thing? Because everyone doing that would be steamrolled by any player not agreeing with the way "organized PvP" works. You'd duel with lvl 250 guys having the same SM you have.

150 is also very, very low, you can easily get to it in the first playthrough by doing some pvp and white phantom work. Am I the only one having fun leveling up in NG+ and above?

Level up all you want, for the reasons you explained.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

I dunno, it seems like a reasonable place to stop leveling and I've never felt outmatched because of it.

There's no point to not leveling when you're being matched based on soul memory and not soul level.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Okay, so if you have a weapon that you barely meet the requirements for, like the Curved Dragon Greatsword, is it worth putting it on the Raw upgrade? Since you won't get much scaling out of it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's no point to not leveling when you're being matched based on soul memory and not soul level.

I realize that, but its just my own preference to keep my dudes from leveling up too much, to preserve the build diversity or whatever.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Kawabata posted:

Sadly there's no reason to stop leveling in terms of PvP, which means eventually everyone who truly wants to win ends up rolling with a full set of fully upgraded havels and 50 in every stat that even remotely matters to them. The fact that most stats hit their softcaps earlier now (allowing for more different kinds of builds) would make this game really good for level-based PvP, but sadly the soul memory system kind of shits on that.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Is there some kind of special reward for a no death run? Not that I'm good enough to attempt it myself.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

So they dont work.
No, they work. The double-click thing is only an issue if you mash the mouse buttons, which is something you shouldn't be doing anyway.

If you prefer the xbox controler. Good for you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With summons I just drop HELLO and VERY GOOD at appropriate times (usually very good when I'm about to die and I know it) and wave when the other guy gets antsy about approaching me. It's pretty much anything goes and that's the fun, though.

Manatee Cannon posted:

YOU DEFEATED

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Perhaps I should clarify my position.

Yes, I know you can cancel out of emotes, and when I see someone trying to get a free shot on me when I'm bowing, I always roll out of it.

And yes, I'm aware that people will gank me and that the point of pvp is to cause misery and suffering etcetera ad nauseum.

But sometimes, it's fun to just drop a red sign, get summoned, bow to each other as equals and duke it out. I was simply expressing frustration towards a string of people who didn't want to let me have that kind of fun.

Then bow. I bow and chug all my estus before every fight that isn't bell/ratbros. Just don't complain about people who attack you while doing it, because there's no reason you should get hit, and around 80% of the time at iron keep you'll get someone who's willing to bow and do the whole little prefight ritual, so it isn't like there is nobody around who will bow back to you. The people who attack during emotes are the minority, most people are just there to duel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Try resting at the bonfire and checking her summon sign again. If it's not there, well, there's like five places you can summon her.

There's four, but you have to successfully summon her for three of them, so its not that simple dude.