Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Monk rotations are simple as gently caress. People are just whiny and very vocal about their particular rotation.
lovely DPS monk rotation is simple. Managing to find a way, with your gear, to maintain all DoTs without dropping any buff or debuff is very hard, and you got to modify it on the fly depending on boss mechanics and how the timing of mechanics screw you over.

Ranged classes will have this issue if they got to move, while Monk is often forced to run out of DPS range and then the battle to try maintain your stuff without losing out on damage throughput begins. Meanwhile Bard just plinks away forever :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Son of a bitch, I just got home, and there's maintenance at 11:00. Oh well.

So, retainers: What's the best combination of two to get? Discuss!

At least 1 should be a hunter. Possibly both. But I will do nearly anything to not have to sit somewhere farming bullshit.

Edit: The problem with the monk rotation as of the last time I played it (before 2.1) was that none of your buff and debuff timers ever lined up in a reasonable fashion like drg does. You would always have to be refreshing crap mid-ability chain and it always felt janky to me.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 2, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ilifinicus posted:

lovely DPS monk rotation is simple. Managing to find a way, with your gear, to maintain all DoTs without dropping any buff or debuff is very hard, and you got to modify it on the fly depending on boss mechanics and how the timing of mechanics screw you over.

The difference between a good monk player and a bad monk player is how much attention they are paying to the mechanics. The rotation has absolutely nothing to do with boss mechanics and gear does not dictate the rotation, it only influences said rotation. As for DOTs and debuffs the only one that lasts 4+ monk rotations is touch of death, everything else is so short it may as well re-apply them after 2 rotations.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

The difference between a good monk player and a bad monk player is how much attention they are paying to the mechanics. The rotation has absolutely nothing to do with boss mechanics and gear does not dictate the rotation, it only influences said rotation. As for DOTs and debuffs the only one that lasts 4+ monk rotations is touch of death, everything else is so short it may as well re-apply them after 2 rotations.
You must have missed the part where I said you want to maintain your buffs and debuffs.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013

ilifinicus posted:

You must have missed the part where I said you want to maintain your buffs and debuffs.

Yeah this is an issue I have at times with dragoon too. It can be very hard to keep your buffs/debuffs up with having to move around so much to dodge certain mechanics (liquid hell, for example) and keep maximizing your dps.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

seannykun posted:

Yeah this is an issue I have at times with dragoon too. It can be very hard to keep your buffs/debuffs up with having to move around so much to dodge certain mechanics (liquid hell, for example) and keep maximizing your dps.

My bane as a dragoon in pug Garuda HMs was tanks that never had the rear available to attack after taking down the adds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That's when you politely ask them to position it open. I hated that as a DRG and it really affected my tanking as a WAR.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Intoluene posted:

My bane as a dragoon in pug Garuda HMs was tanks that never had the rear available to attack after taking down the adds.

Wait hang on, if you can't attack her from behind doesn't that mean the Slipstreams are pointing directly into the crowd?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Wait hang on, if you can't attack her from behind doesn't that mean the Slipstreams are pointing directly into the crowd?

No, what some stupid tanks will do is they'll have have Garuda facing outwards of the arena, but Garuda herself is parked right on the edge or just inside of the knockback tornadoes.

Even worse are the tanks that do not tank Garuda at the leading edge of the circling tornadoes when the Satin Plume comes down.

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013
PROTIP: in that situation you can literally usually stand inside garuda for your impulse drive to connect and count as a rear hit. Just be careful of slipstream and gtfo.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Dragoons complaining about keeping up buffs/debuffs can go eat a dick.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sendo posted:

Dragoons complaining about keeping up buffs/debuffs can go eat a dick.

I would posit that the same opinion is held by Monks and Dragoons of tanks who don't keep mobs still (within reason, obviously) and don't ensure the mob's flank and rear are safe to attack from. Just saying. :v:

I do it on my barely-30 WAR. It's not really that hard.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

ilifinicus posted:

Again the only tricky part of any rotation is not the rotation itself but the mechanics of any boss fight. Doing a Debuff/buff a few seconds too late/early will not make or break a fight, but ignoring the mechanics/aoe/adds of the boss may just end up wiping the raid.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Magil Zeal posted:

You can actually request materia melding specifically and its 100% safe since you don't actually give them your items.

But if you need melds, I'm on Ultros and 50 in all DoHs/DoLs and can help you out (Sasara Sara). I'd be in the new linkshell (apparently there's a new one? There was an old one that was established at launch but nobody ever talks in it anymore), but I haven't managed to establish connections with any of the people mentioned on the last page yet.

Nice! Thanks! I'll look you up!

[edit]

Let me know when you might be on. I have a young kid, so my times are sporadic, but we may be able to work out a time we can meet. :D

[edit2] While on the subject of my Dragoon Relic quest... I appreciate that you guys had a better suggestion for my Champion's Lance than buying one off the AH pre-melded. However, now I'm left wondering is there a better (non-grindy?) way to get the Savage Aim III materia? Because the AH is selling *that* for like 40k a piece. Which means the cost of a pre-melded AH Lance is 90k (assuming it is not a fraud) and the cost of a lance by itself and 2 materia is also about 90k. :\ (The lance alone unmelded is like 15k.)

Feenix fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 2, 2014

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Feenix posted:

While on the subject of my Dragoon Relic quest... I appreciate that you guys had a better suggestion for my Champion's Lance than buying one off the AH pre-melded. However, now I'm left wondering is there a better (non-grindy?) way to get the Savage Aim III materia? Because the AH is selling *that* for like 40k a piece. Which means the cost of a pre-melded AH Lance is 90k (assuming it is not a fraud) and the cost of a lance by itself and 2 materia is also about 90k. :\ (The lance alone unmelded is like 15k.)

Ensuring you spiritbond with all of your gear as you're leveling up and hoping that you get lucky converting the higher-level stuff v:shobon:v That's what I did for basically all of my stuff (I ended up having to buy one materia off the market for my Alchemist class quest, since my friend and I have been unlucky getting Quicktongue IIIs, and that's going to be an issue for us when we need to get relics for my WHM and his SCH). Admittedly, it comes from having leveled every class in the game and also being a crafter, so I had crafted (and thus convertable) items at basically every point I could wear them, but I've managed in that fashion to accumulate enough IIIs of the right varieties to do every relic and every crafter quest (the aforementioned issue with Quicktongue III notwithstanding).

VVVVV What have you been doing with your gear when you're done with it?

Copycat Zero fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 2, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Huh. I've seriously never done anything with materia. Am I missing like half the game or something? At the time it just didn't interest me, really...

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Some of the classes get kindof screwed on relic materia, because savage aim poo poo is always pricey. Don't blow money on an HQ one or one with materia if you can avoid it. Buy the mats and the materia and get any crp to make it for you. It doesn't have to be HQ and takes about 10 seconds to do if they just click a couple careful synth IIs.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Honestly, if you have the money, just buy it. 90k sounds steep (the first/only relic I got was probably 40-50k altogether, however a friend had bought me an i70 weapon to use before I got it for 70k, which was unnecessary but it adds up) but unless you are buying vanity/glamour items of some sort or going gung-ho on crafting or something, you won't really be using your gil for anything else. I haven't spent any gil since getting my relic a few weeks ago and I'm up a few hundred thousand since then.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Clocks posted:

Honestly, if you have the money, just buy it. 90k sounds steep (the first/only relic I got was probably 40-50k altogether, however a friend had bought me an i70 weapon to use before I got it for 70k, which was unnecessary but it adds up) but unless you are buying vanity/glamour items of some sort or going gung-ho on crafting or something, you won't really be using your gil for anything else. I haven't spent any gil since getting my relic a few weeks ago and I'm up a few hundred thousand since then.

I'm actually thinking I may just buy it. I'm a little worried about the fraud warning someone gave me before. (about slotting other materia)

And all the Materias I am seeing in the Limsa market are *not* HQ and they start at 39k.

Sucks because I only have about 156k. I'm not spending it on much other than teleports, but I fancied eventually having an FC house with my FC.

*sidenote* Are the markets different? They always make a point to say "you are selling in the _____ market". Should I bother to check the others?

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Feenix posted:

Are the markets different? They always make a point to say "you are selling in the _____ market". Should I bother to check the others?

Not really. The distinction in market is that there's a service charge if you buy from a retainer who is selling in a different market than the one you're buying from.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ok I'm gonna buy a lance. Wish me luck, I hope it's not a phony. :)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Feenix posted:

Ok I'm gonna buy a lance. Wish me luck, I hope it's not a phony. :)

Just mouse over it and ensure that it has two Savage Aim Materia IIIs in it and nothing else.

(usual indication that if you were on Excalibur we'd just take care of this for you goes here)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kyrosiris posted:

Just mouse over it and ensure that it has two Savage Aim Materia IIIs in it and nothing else.

(usual indication that if you were on Excalibur we'd just take care of this for you goes here)

I know... I was on Excalibur. I moved off at the request of some real world friends on Ultros. The best I can say is when I was on Excalibur, I wanted for nothing, and you folks were always super rad and helpful. :D

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

ElMaligno posted:

Again the only tricky part of any rotation is not the rotation itself but the mechanics of any boss fight. Doing a Debuff/buff a few seconds too late/early will not make or break a fight, but ignoring the mechanics/aoe/adds of the boss may just end up wiping the raid.

I think the real question is why you started this fight you can't win on a comment I made regarding the GCD and nothing to do with rotations at all?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I tanked a Main Scenario Ultima Weapon run today with all four DPS slots taken up by Bards. Is that a thing??? Are bards the new hotness?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rei_ posted:

I tanked a Main Scenario Ultima Weapon run today with all four DPS slots taken up by Bards. Is that a thing??? Are bards the new hotness?

3 Bards 1 Dragoon

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Clocks posted:

When 2.0 hit my summoner pre-relic cost me 300k.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Doublestep posted:

Crafting used to be way more of a massive grind in 1.0, and even among all the crafting classes, alchemy was probably the shittiest one in terms of usefullness, so there were relatively few people with the level neccessary to craft Relic precursor books.

That, coupled with the massive influx of people leveling Arcanist causing high demand for the items probably accounts for the inflated cost. Now that the demand has leveled out somewhat and maxing out crafts can be done relatively easily, the market is way more accommodating.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Doublestep posted:

Conversely this allowed very profitable runs of WP.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Doublestep posted:

I made like 15 mil that weekend. Good times.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Belzac posted:

I think the real question is why you started this fight you can't win on a comment I made regarding the GCD and nothing to do with rotations at all?

Well the post that I replied only contained "non-monk spotted". How was I supposed that your post was an extremely complex argument regarding GCD, and only GCD, and not a snappy three worded reply against someone talking about GCD and the simplicity of rotations?

Also I like, replied to you once dude.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
shut up you dumb babies

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Here's how to solve the age-old question about monk rotations:

Step 1) punch poo poo

Step 2) repeat step 1

gobbledygoat posted:

shut up you dumb babies

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Playing Monk on controller makes me feel like I'm playing an actual fighting game and it's the best thing ever.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Step 1) punch poo poo

Step 2) repeat step 1

Also sometimes Kick.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Step 1) punch poo poo

Step 2) repeat step 1

Sorry but no self respecting monk would ONLY punch :colbert:

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It honestly doesn't seem *that* high. I'm looking at CaaS, and so long as you can HQ a Horned Hatchet, a Militia Scythe, a Botanist's Doublet, Gloves, and Slops, you'll be at 303, a few pieces of materia will put you above 308.

Now, YMMV, since I intend to 50 every single crafting class anyways, so I'll be able to make my own HQ gear, but it doesn't seem THAT hard.

EDIT: I guess what I'm asking is, what's the most annoying to farm, items dropped from enemies, stuff that's mined, stuff that's fished, or stuff that's harvested? Or heck, turn that question around, which flavor of retainer saves you the most headaches? I mean, in a perfect world, I'd have four retainers, one doing each thing, but I'm not willing to pay a monthly fee. A one-time deal, maybe, but not monthly.

If you're serious about crafting, definitely make one either a miner or botanist solely to farm shards and crystals because you go through hundreds and thousands of them quickly and they're a pain to farm/expensive [on my server] to buy. I have a DOL retainer at 50 and a DOW one at 47 so number might change once the other one hits 50 and I give him all of my hand-me-downs, but my DOL one gathers 30 shards/crystals per 40 min venture while the other one only gets 7-10 monster drop per venture. DOW is useful if I want a few odd drops but often I need stacks of stuff (fleece :argh:) and I can more quickly gather a stack in that time (plus it's fun herding the monsters together and AOEing them down :D). Which DOL you want probably depends on which DOH class you want to specialize in (probably miner for the smiths and LTW, botanist for CUL and ALC?).

I actually wish I made one a fisher since fish is more grindy to gather. Would be a good way to make money too selling the high demand fish. FYI you need to have gathered/fish an item already in order to send your retainer out to get that specific item.

seannykun posted:

Never make your retainer a DoL. The problem with it is the caps for the last ventures require an absurd level of gathering, something like 382. It's hard enough to hit on your own character.

seorin posted:

It's 308, which is admittedly high, but could be a lot worse. My fisher retainer hit it with AF gear, the new hat, the new fishing rod, and a small handful of materia (two each of gathering ranks 1 and 2). It was honestly a lot cheaper and faster for me than getting a full i70 set for my other retainer. Getting a second hat or tool sounds like it would be bad, but when you already have one of the tool you're trying to get, it's relatively painless.

Seannuykun is referring to the 18hr explorations. There are 3 tiers of lvl50 explorations you can do. You can easily hit the cap for the first two with the AF mainhand and HQ class exclusive gear (tip: you can buy the AF mainhand from a Calamity Salvager) but the last tier required 383 gathering. My retainer is sitting at 327 so I'll probably need to overmeld and get her a forager mainhand. No idea what you gather from that last tier (minions?) but it's not necessary if you're only gathering shards/crystals.

bleuraindrops fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 2, 2014

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

There's something much more important than all this business, and that's tiny muscular lions.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

While it is not a bear, it is nevertheless awesome. Pity you can't dye the mane.

e: On the subject of 2.0 arcanist relic precursor prices, I'll also add that the crafting item for those (Bloody Grimoire Binding) came randomly from an often-skipped chest in Wanderer's Palace, or randomly/rarely from certain battlecraft leves.

At the time, Amdapor Keep was what people ran for philosophy/mythology, and Castrum Meridianum for pure philosophy, and leves - in addition to limited allowances - have never been terribly popular outside of leveling (and not very popular even for that, for the battle ones).

Between all those factors, suffice it to say that there was not the world's most enormous supply of Bloody Grimoire Bindings. And there were a disproportionately large number of arcanists, each of whom could conceivably need two, one for SCH and one for SMN. (Granted, Titan HM was a much bigger relic roadblock at the time than he is now.)

Point being, high prices on those, at the time, does not surprise me in the least.

Vil fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 2, 2014

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Celador posted:

Also sometimes Kick.

ElMaligno posted:

Sorry but no self respecting monk would ONLY punch :colbert:

How could I forget, so shameful :negative: I forgot the wise words of Master Chop Chop:

Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

If you wanna test me, I'm sure you'll find.

The things I'll teach ya is sure to beat ya.

But nevertheless you'll get a lesson from the teacher.

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Smart Car posted:

There's something much more important than all this business, and that's tiny muscular lions.

How do we get this?!

• Locked thread