Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I tried to paint lozenge camouflage on a Gotha IV in 1:144 when we played Canvas Eagle. It was horrible. Don't do it.

(but play Canvas Eagle, it's a great game and you need like, 4 planes to play it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Protip: Camo that looks "right" also looks "boring as gently caress".
For my next force, I think I'll start up some eighties Swiss.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You see what they look like thumbnailed? That's what they'll look like on the table.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
A good camo is a model that the opponent forgets about. :v:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's right, and they look goofy as hell great! :colbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
This is why I stick to 18th century, no camo to paint!

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
FYI Too Fat Lardies of Chain of Command fame (among other games) is having a 15% off sale on their website until the end of the month. They have PDF versions of the rules available as well.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I have a question regarding painting planes: I don't have an airbrush, so should I use a coloured primer, like one of the Army Painter ones?

It's a warhammer ork plane :shobon:, although I want to make it look vaguely like something out of the East African Campaign

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Weirdo posted:

I have a question regarding painting planes: I don't have an airbrush, so should I use a coloured primer, like one of the Army Painter ones?

It's a warhammer ork plane :shobon:, although I want to make it look vaguely like something out of the East African Campaign

As a base coat? As for the camo, Plenty of aircraft used sharp-edge lines, like how the Italians painted their Stukas. Nothing stopping you from doing solid tan/khaki on top and solid white on the bottom, either. If you are wanting an airbrushed look, there are ways of achieving that, which I'm sure someone will enlighten you to.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

YF19pilot posted:

As a base coat? As for the camo, Plenty of aircraft used sharp-edge lines, like how the Italians painted their Stukas. Nothing stopping you from doing solid tan/khaki on top and solid white on the bottom, either. If you are wanting an airbrushed look, there are ways of achieving that, which I'm sure someone will enlighten you to.

Sorry, yeah I was wondering about primer for use as a basecoat. I've never painted anything to large so I guess I am bit worried about brush lines or the like.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Gesso is kind of a pain in the rear end because it requires touchups, but one thing it doesn't do is show brush marks. You can get a big bottle of it from an art supply shop for $5, if you get the white stuff you can colour it, and if you hate it it comes off easy enough.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
So, I lost some weight (mainly to support my wife, I was only slightly overweight by my BMI) and as a reward I got a 6mm British Napoleonic army (1815) from Baccus - I'm really happy with the models, but I've been looking at my bases trying to figure out the best way of basing them.

This is my reentry into wargaming, so I've decided to go with 40mmX30mm bases - which is 15mm scale for Field of Glory, and half scale for Black Powder, but looking at them and thinking of the ineviatble French army, I was wondering how this looked.

The left hand force is the British, fighting in their lines. They have plenty of open ground on their base and will look good in lines, even if there is a little more open ground than I would have liked. The right is is why I'm posting. how do you think this looks as a column - each base still only has 16 figures on it, but by putting the french to the back/front I can make them look like columns.

What do you experienced hands think of this?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Grey Hunter posted:

So, I lost some weight (mainly to support my wife, I was only slightly overweight by my BMI) and as a reward I got a 6mm British Napoleonic army (1815) from Baccus - I'm really happy with the models, but I've been looking at my bases trying to figure out the best way of basing them.

This is my reentry into wargaming, so I've decided to go with 40mmX30mm bases - which is 15mm scale for Field of Glory, and half scale for Black Powder, but looking at them and thinking of the ineviatble French army, I was wondering how this looked.

The left hand force is the British, fighting in their lines. They have plenty of open ground on their base and will look good in lines, even if there is a little more open ground than I would have liked. The right is is why I'm posting. how do you think this looks as a column - each base still only has 16 figures on it, but by putting the french to the back/front I can make them look like columns.

What do you experienced hands think of this?

My experience is that you want to be able to move from column to line and back again easily. I base mine on 40x20 for infantry and 40x30 for cavalry. A typical unit in line is four bases wide and one base deep, a march column1 wide and 4 deep, and an attack column 2x2. Works well and looks nice on the table IMHO.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No article on it yet, but the newest Wargames Illustrated has a big add for Saga: Cross and Crescent on the back (which is apparently delayed), and I want it.

I need it!

Also Jugula.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
already ordered one of everything for Jugula, kinda glad cross and crescent got delayed or it would have been a very expensive month.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
What did one of everything include and How much did that set you back?

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Ordered from architects of war, so rulebook -32, 2 card decks (need one per player)-22,fancy playmat -32, famlia pack 1 -40. So $126 (shipping is free).
I know I need more gladiators to play, but will just proxy until more come out.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ooh - Jugula. Has anyone been able to do a demo of it? I'm curious as to how it plays - the fact that it has a campaign system is intriguing to me. I was looking for the Warhammer Historicals gladiator game, but if Jugula is any good, I'll wait for it instead.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ooh - Jugula. Has anyone been able to do a demo of it? I'm curious as to how it plays - the fact that it has a campaign system is intriguing to me. I was looking for the Warhammer Historicals gladiator game, but if Jugula is any good, I'll wait for it instead.

I haven't played it, but somewhere there was a nice write up on a blog. It was also in last month's Wargames Illustrated.

Definitely on my list.

E: Studio Tomahawk is rapidly becoming my favorite rules company.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 2, 2014

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I saw a writeup on a blog, so it may have been the same one you refer to - it's what put the game on my radar in the first place. I'll see if I can track down a copy of the Wargames Illustrated that featured it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Colonial Air Force posted:

I haven't played it, but somewhere there was a nice write up on a blog. It was also in last month's Wargames Illustrated.

Definitely on my list.

What issue number is it? I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Colonial Air Force posted:

E: Studio Tomahawk is rapidly becoming my favorite rules company.

Ditto.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 2, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

berzerkmonkey posted:

I saw a writeup on a blog, so it may have been the same one you refer to - it's what put the game on my radar in the first place. I'll see if I can track down a copy of the Wargames Illustrated that featured it.

Found it.

Indolent Bastard posted:

What issue number is it? I don't want to buy the wrong one.

Issue #317, I just checked (I guess that's TWO months ago).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ten-hut!

:siren: Oath Season 5 is go! :siren:

Come hang out, chill with other painting goons, and maybe win some prizes!

The rules have been (very) simplified this year, there's a bunch of prize support (and more to come!), and there's no "minimum oath" so you can just oath a single figure to paint in a whole month if you want to.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

krushgroove posted:

Ten-hut!

:siren: Oath Season 5 is go! :siren:

Come hang out, chill with other painting goons, and maybe win some prizes!

The rules have been (very) simplified this year, there's a bunch of prize support (and more to come!), and there's no "minimum oath" so you can just oath a single figure to paint in a whole month if you want to.

Someone is painting up a Tankovy for April. Must respond in kind....

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I would have oathed all 21 but I hadn't finished basecoating half of them so there were two colours.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Forums Terrorist posted:

I would have oathed all 21 but I hadn't finished basecoating half of them so there were two colours.

Pretty sure it's one colour per mini, I've happily oathed a group of minis where half were primed black, and half were primed white, plus one not primed at all.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure it's one colour per mini, I've happily oathed a group of minis where half were primed black, and half were primed white, plus one not primed at all.

Yep, that's fine, it's just the ones that are part-primed and part-basecoated, or zenithal primed that we get funny about. Easiest thing to do is just take pictures of the sprues :)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

krushgroove posted:

Yep, that's fine, it's just the ones that are part-primed and part-basecoated, or zenithal primed that we get funny about. Easiest thing to do is just take pictures of the sprues :)

Then assemble them from the sprue and paint all in the one month, just like the Soviets did irl :ussr:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
In case you guys missed it, Remagen, plastic Pershings and Panzergrens coming in June. Only gripe I can see is the box for the Pershings only include one turret base, so you might not be able to swap between Pershing and Super Pershing. I may have to grab a box or two for myself, though I've been shifting to Axis as right now we only have one dedicated Axis player, two American, one Russian, and one British, other than myself who normally runs Americans.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The plastic Panzergrenadiers have been out for a while though? I bought some a few weeks back.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
http://freshcoastgaming.blogspot.com/2014/05/bolt-action-i-shall-return.html

I wrote up some initial thoughts on Bolt Action. Trying to get my group into it. Another 85$ 40k hardcover will help :)

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Forums Terrorist posted:

The plastic Panzergrenadiers have been out for a while though? I bought some a few weeks back.

Sorry, meant plastic regular Grenadiers, not Panzergrens.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Alright, so there's a Flames of War group at my new FLGS that seem to be pretty cool guys, and I'm considering buying some tonks to screw around with since I just can't justify the cost for 40k so much anymore. I've been poking around and it seems like British armoured companies are super rare or something, as I can't seem to find any advice/info on them. Anyone here have experience, or know a site with some info or even just some battle reports I could look at?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

What period? If it's late (the most common) do you like Shermans, Cromwells or Churchills more?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, Late War seems to be the most commmon. I enjoy the Firefly Shermans, but really any of the three could be fun.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

In most British armoured squadrons you get 1 Firefly to a platoon. The exceptions are certain Armoured Squadrons from Overlord, which let you take a separate platoon of Fireflies, at the cost of not getting any in your other platoons and having to make do with older equipment otherwise (M3 Stuarts instead of M5s, for example). Basically though, a typical British tank company will look like this:

HQ Tanks

3 tank platoon
3 tank platoon
4 tank platoon

Recce
Artillery
Infantry/Wildcard
AOP

You hug cover and move in with the Shermans while the Fireflies hang back and use Semi-Indirect Fire to blow hard targets to bits (remember, in Flames the individual members of a platoon can hang back and cover the others). Recce lifts Gone To Ground to let your other units shoot better, prevents ambushes, and occasionally dashes for an objective. Artillery pins and smokes, the AOP makes sure you can do that, and the wildcard lets you tailor the list to your specific playstyle.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Forums Terrorist posted:

In most British armoured squadrons you get 1 Firefly to a platoon. The exceptions are certain Armoured Squadrons from Overlord, which let you take a separate platoon of Fireflies, at the cost of not getting any in your other platoons and having to make do with older equipment otherwise (M3 Stuarts instead of M5s, for example). Basically though, a typical British tank company will look like this:

HQ Tanks

3 tank platoon
3 tank platoon
4 tank platoon

Recce
Artillery
Infantry/Wildcard
AOP

You hug cover and move in with the Shermans while the Fireflies hang back and use Semi-Indirect Fire to blow hard targets to bits (remember, in Flames the individual members of a platoon can hang back and cover the others). Recce lifts Gone To Ground to let your other units shoot better, prevents ambushes, and occasionally dashes for an objective. Artillery pins and smokes, the AOP makes sure you can do that, and the wildcard lets you tailor the list to your specific playstyle.

Awesome thanks! I'll look into some of the lists and see what I can make tick. Would you recommend going with Trained units and not Veterans for the cost decrease?

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

That's entirely up to you and the kinds of tables you play on. Take a points level (1500, 1650, 1750 and 1780 are the four most common I've seen) and try to build a list. If you can't fit in everything you like try dropping the veterancy. Conversely if you feel like you have the headroom try upping it. There are some units (artillery) that I would almost always take at the highest veterancy I can get but otherwise it's up to you.

The two most common list builders I've seen are Easy Army and FOW Lists. You have to pay for Easy Army ($2 a book) but it's much more complete.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Yeah, I dropped some cash on Easyarmy because it seemed pretty nice. Definitely makes screwing around with potential lists easy when you don't know the rules very well yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Also, if you're going British, get the Open Fire box and sell/trade the Germans. That gets you 6 Sherman Vs and 2 Fireflies, which is a solid base to start with.