Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

How can you tell if you've inflicted the bleed effect on someone anyway? I'm not sure if I've ever had it trigger with the morningstar, but maybe everything is just dying first, including other players.

There's a sound effect. To me it sounds like "splortch," it's basically the same sound as DS1. DS1 had a little blood-spatter animation too but I'm not sure if that's in this game. Probably most things are dying before you inflict bleed, you have to build for it to inflict it with any speed (infusion, bloodbro ring, dex scaling etc).

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait. You mean to get all the spells I have to become a bellboy and do pvp bullshit? :gonk: I miss being able to completely ignore that side of the game so much.

You can get around it. There are NPC invaders in the Belfries that count as kills for bellbro progression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Umberger posted:

Nope! You can kill a rare spawn black phantom NPC in Belfry Sol which counts towards leveling the covenant. The downside is it still requires 30 kills.

Along these same lines, the falconers in things betwixt NG+ will drop sunlight medals to level up the sun cov.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Recently I've had the most luck in getting summoned to sol and luna in the Tower of Flame. It's just a crapshoot though. You'll go hours without getting summoned then have them rapid fire one after the other.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

Along these same lines, the falconers in things betwixt NG+ will drop sunlight medals to level up the sun cov.

The hex throwing giants in Harvest Valley also have a chance to drop them.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010
The Bat Staff and Dark Fog is so overpowered. I'm just wrecking fools on the Iron Keep bridge.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Switching to better spells and Lucatiel managing to not gently caress up her tanking duties killed Smelter Demon. Dude doesn't much care for Resonant Soul spam.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Like a number of others, I experinced Belfry Luna for the first time last night. It was fun!

Only thing is, as soon as I stepped in the door I got invaded, and got right down to the fighting part. Then I aggored that little dwarf guy, and ended up having to kill him. Did I mess something up?

The second time I went in the dwarf was gone and two invaders spawned, only one came at me and we had solid 10m fight before I got lucky and finished him off. Found the other guy AFK upstairs. Then I got pin cushioned by the black dwarves upstairs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

That dwarf is the guy you need to chat with to join the covenant and also gives you the covenant awards as you rank up. You can pay a fee to summon him as a ghost to do those things still, but it has to be done every time you reload the area I think.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Perhaps I should clarify my position.

Yes, I know you can cancel out of emotes, and when I see someone trying to get a free shot on me when I'm bowing, I always roll out of it.

And yes, I'm aware that people will gank me and that the point of pvp is to cause misery and suffering etcetera ad nauseum.

But sometimes, it's fun to just drop a red sign, get summoned, bow to each other as equals and duke it out. I was simply expressing frustration towards a string of people who didn't want to let me have that kind of fun.

I've been constantly running up to people after my initial praise the sun and praise the sun again, they always freak out

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is there any way to check how close I am to my next covenant rank up?

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

An assembly of the greatest warriors in the land.

Gortarius fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 2, 2014

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Don't listen to this guy because that's wrong. You can be anywhere in Iron Keep except a boss room and a bonfire and easily get summoned. I usually remained at the bridge while trying to get summoned.

Or it could be that I ran all around iron keep and didn't have the covenant symbol lighting up while the ring was on, while online, and it would light up the second I set foot into Sol itself. I'll test it again tonight, but whatever.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Cowcaster posted:

That dwarf is the guy you need to chat with to join the covenant and also gives you the covenant awards as you rank up. You can pay a fee to summon him as a ghost to do those things still, but it has to be done every time you reload the area I think.

I accidentally hit the one in Sol and then killed the one in Luna, but he doesn't seem to be showing up as a ghost. This is pretty annoying, I wanted in to that covenant but if I have to pay the 1450000 souls to calm the other guy down I'm gonna get wrecked.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

bobby2times posted:

The Bat Staff and Dark Fog is so overpowered. I'm just wrecking fools on the Iron Keep bridge.

Until you run into the prepared pvp character with like 99 poison cure moss on his quickslots. I fought with a guy who was prepared like that, and lost pretty badly.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

I accidentally hit the one in Sol and then killed the one in Luna, but he doesn't seem to be showing up as a ghost. This is pretty annoying, I wanted in to that covenant but if I have to pay the 1450000 souls to calm the other guy down I'm gonna get wrecked.

I don't think anyone knows the details yet, but it takes a while for gravestones to appear. Check back in a day or two.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Asehujiko posted:

What covenants do I need to get the "all sorceries/miracles/pyromancies/hexes" achievements? only Bell Keepers +2, Pilgrims of Dark +3 and the rest being sold in NG++? Or is there something else I've missed?

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait. You mean to get all the spells I have to become a bellboy and do pvp bullshit? :gonk: I miss being able to completely ignore that side of the game so much.

No getting around it:
Climax: rank 3 Pilgrims of Dark; this is basically a single-player covenant anyway.
Hidden Weapon: rank 2 Bell Keepers; you can rank-up the covenant by killing the Mad Warrior NPC if you'd rather not PvP.
Sunlight Spear: rank 3 Heirs of the Sun; you can rank-up the covenant by farming the falconer NPCs if you'd rather not co-op.

Getting around it:
Great Chaos Fireball: either rank 3 Brotherhood of Blood, or get to NG++ and buy it from Wellager.
Bountiful Sunlight: either rank 3 Blue Sentinels, or get to NG++ and buy it from Wellager.
Wrath of the Gods: either rank 2 Blue Sentinels, or get to NG++ and buy it from Wellager.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So, I feel like playing this. What's the place with the best price for an EU guy? This could be in the OP btw, it's useful.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

orange sky posted:

So, I feel like playing this. What's the place with the best price for an EU guy? This could be in the OP btw, it's useful.
Nuuvem has Dark Souls II for R$84,99 which equals to €27,59 & $38,29.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Wish I had listened to this thread and tried a hammer weapon earlier. Started using the Craftsman Hammer today and it's so satisfying. Only a little bit slower than the straight swords I'm used to, but it does well against pretty much everything and the backstab animation is great.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
what's with this "gotta be in a particular place to be bellbro'd in" junk? I just keep the ring on all the time and I get summoned in from almost anywhere at any time so long as I dont have an phantom summoned. or does being in bastalle or IK increase your chances or something?

I got chain summoned into a ton of bell fights in the area after Draglec Castle to both areas.

also is there a whole Red Eye Orb or do I have to just get by on my cracked ones

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Nuuvem has Dark Souls II for R$84,99 which equals to €27,59 & $38,29.

South American copies are region-locked to South America, IIRC. Do not buy Dark Souls 2 from Nuuvem unless you are in South America.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
So where do I go if I gave a certain monarch a few slaps on the wrist(with a Great Club +10)? The pit in Majula or the area where the pyromancy trainer was petrified?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

South American copies are region-locked to South America, IIRC. Do not buy Dark Souls 2 from Nuuvem unless you are in South America.
:confused: I'm in the Netherlands and had no trouble activating a DaS2 key bought from Nuuvem on Steam.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 2, 2014

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

NextTime000 posted:

what's with this "gotta be in a particular place to be bellbro'd in" junk? I just keep the ring on all the time and I get summoned in from almost anywhere at any time so long as I dont have an phantom summoned. or does being in bastalle or IK increase your chances or something?

I got chain summoned into a ton of bell fights in the area after Draglec Castle to both areas.

also is there a whole Red Eye Orb or do I have to just get by on my cracked ones
The covenant seal will pulse if you can be summoned. There are a ton of zones where you cannot be summoned.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

NextTime000 posted:

Just cracked ones. In NG+ the covenant masters (of Blue Sentinels/Brotherhood of Blood respectively) sell Cracked Blue/Red Eye Orbs with an infinite supply.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Asehujiko posted:

So where do I go if I gave a certain monarch a few slaps on the wrist(with a Great Club +10)? The pit in Majula or the area where the pyromancy trainer was petrified?
I don't think there's anything interesting triggered in either of these locations.

e: oh wait, you're talking about the other king. :downs:

Thirdeye
May 2, 2006

Agaetis byrjun
Welp, just finished the game and I can't help but feel really disappointed. I would have put this above the other games up until you get Ashen Mist Heart then it fell off a cliff with the final boss fights for me. Now with the supposed leak of another souls-esque game for ps4 I feel I'm kind of over this series currently.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Around what SL have you guys been beating NG?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Elysiume posted:

The covenant seal will pulse if you can be summoned. There are a ton of zones where you cannot be summoned.

Whoa. Didn't know this. When you say it will pulse, are you talking about looking at it in an equip menu? Or from 3rd person POV at your char?

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

pmchem posted:

Whoa. Didn't know this. When you say it will pulse, are you talking about looking at it in an equip menu? Or from 3rd person POV at your char?

He's referring to the Covenant icon to the left of your HP bar.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Vil posted:

Getting around it:
Great Chaos Fireball: either rank 3 Brotherhood of Blood, or get to NG++ and buy it from Wellager.
Bountiful Sunlight: either rank 3 Blue Sentinels, or get to NG++ and buy it from Wellager.
Wrath of the Gods: either rank 2 Blue Sentinels, or get to NG++ and buy it from Wellager.

You can use ascetics on the bosses in this area to get those, right?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

poptart_fairy posted:

You can use ascetics on the bosses in this area to get those, right?

Nope.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Welp, time to push through then!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

pmchem posted:

If you have the ring equipped, your covenant icon in the top left of your HP bar will glow/dim repeatedly (pulsing).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wow am I bad at fighting anybody who isn't a ratpubbie. I just beat the game and decided to dick around in some of the covenants before moving on to NG+, and I'm getting my rear end kicked Bellbroing. Granted I'm like SM 2.6m, so anybody I'm running up against is twinked out just as well as I am.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Noxville posted:

There's several locations you can be summoned from, the covenant logo in the top-left will pulse when you're in a place you can be summoned from and are wearing the ring.

:aaaaa:

I.. I've never even noticed that before.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
If I'm at ~1.2m SM, where should I go for sunbroing? By killing OIK I apparently hit a threshhold that made IK not result in a single hit any more.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Artificer posted:

Around what SL have you guys been beating NG?

I was around 120.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah this is bullshit, I'm sat in the UK and bought it from Nuuvem for a princely £24.36 and it works perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Asehujiko posted:

If I'm at ~1.2m SM, where should I go for sunbroing? By killing OIK I apparently hit a threshhold that made IK not result in a single hit any more.

Smelter or Drangleic castle first bonfire I'd say.