Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

CommissarMega posted:

Any good mech-based and/or mecha games for the PC, apart from the Battlemech/Mechcommander series? I'm suddenly jonesing to have giant robots beat the poo poo out of each other. I don't care if it's anime as gently caress either.

Did you just watch Pacific Rim?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Any good mech-based and/or mecha games for the PC, apart from the Battlemech/Mechcommander series? I'm suddenly jonesing to have giant robots beat the poo poo out of each other. I don't care if it's anime as gently caress either.

I guess Titanfall.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Hawken's ok til their monetization sinks in.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

I'm looking for an RPG that meets the following, hopefully broad criteria:

-available on PC*
-good sense of progressing from a weak poo poo character into an overpowered godlike one
-ample sidequests/optional content for better armor, weapons, items, etc. (basically stuff to do outside of the main quest to gear up/improve my character)
-halfway decent/fun combat
~preferably an open-world/non-linear game
~preferably something where I don't have to manage a party/multiple characters

I'm looking at the Elder Scrolls games. Skyrim is out of the question because my PC can't run it. I'd gladly try Oblivion but the level scaling thing ruins it for me**. Morrowind is an option but I hear the combat sucks (in what way?) and I'm not looking to play something for its story at the moment.

Outside of the Baldur's Gate and Fallout series, I haven't played much, so don't hesitate to list something that seems obvious.

*I've got a fairly lovely PC, so nothing from say, 2011+ forward unless it isn't that demanding.
**Are there any mods that do a good job of fixing this without altering other aspects of the game too much?

Thanks in advance, just lurking this thread has been helpful.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Woops I am so dumb :downs:

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 2, 2014

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Oliver Reed posted:

-available on PC*
-good sense of progressing from a weak poo poo character into an overpowered godlike one
-ample sidequests/optional content for better armor, weapons, items, etc. (basically stuff to do outside of the main quest to gear up/improve my character)

I'm looking at the Elder Scrolls games. Skyrim is out of the question because my PC can't run it. I'd gladly try Oblivion but the level scaling thing ruins it for me**. Morrowind is an option but I hear the combat sucks (in what way?) and I'm not looking to play something for its story at the moment.

Outside of the Baldur's Gate and Fallout series, I haven't played much, so don't hesitate to list something that seems obvious.

*I've got a fairly lovely PC, so nothing from say, 2011+ forward unless it isn't that demanding.
**Are there any mods that do a good job of fixing this without altering other aspects of the game too much?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

-available on PC*

The entire Gothic series basically hits every single one of those points. They're dirt cheap on GOG too. Risen, too. (just the first one, the second is bad)

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

VelociBacon posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Tried this but it ran sluggishly on low settings. Deus Ex is one of my favorite games so I was bummed.

Genpei Turtle posted:

The entire Gothic series basically hits every single one of those points. They're dirt cheap on GOG too. Risen, too. (just the first one, the second is bad)

I remember Gothic having pretty wonky controls...how is Gothic 2 in terms controls/combat? I know the game has a lot of respect from RPG fans.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Oliver Reed posted:

-available on PC*

Divinity 2: Director's Cut?

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

But Not Tonight posted:

Pretty upset that no one mentioned Banished. It's a fun town building game, albeit kind of shallow once you get past the initial difficulty curve. It's got a bit more of a management aspect than Tropico in the form of assigning workers to jobs, but it's quite fun and relaxing to just see how big of a village you can make. Even more impressive was that it was done entirely by one guy in a few years, and though you reach end-game quickly, he's working on mod tools and that's where the real fun is gonna come from.

You, uh... You didn't actually read his post, did you?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Oliver Reed posted:

-available on PC*

Morrowind's combat sucks because every swing is a combat roll based on your weapon skill, so you can swing directly at them and whiff for no apparet reason. In addition, that roll is modified by your remaining fatigue, so if you were running around a lot before combat you may just be sitting there and whiffing for a long time. But it's not that bad, really. Install the mod that lets you swing with left click and cast spells with right click Oblivion style.

Morrowind is my favorite game of all time. It has a unique setting and lore that encourages you to explore off the beaten path. The story is consistent with your actions as a player and acknowledges and embraces how powerful you can get. And you can get absurdly powerful. It is completely open world, and I would guess that the amount of side quests are several times longer than the main quest.

Problems with Morrowind:

Combat is not that visceral. Swing and roll to hit , much like Baldur's Gate, although at least it's first person.
Graphics will look bad if you don't mod the poo poo out of it.
If you don't know a few tricks, your character starts out very slowly.
Will never run smoothly, even on a supercomputer. The engine is just poo poo. That's not to say it will run poorly on your computer--you'll get 20-40 FPS like everyone.

If you can tolerate those, Morrowind will reward you. It's an absolutely huge game with tons of stuff to do and explore.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Oliver Reed posted:

Tried this but it ran sluggishly on low settings. Deus Ex is one of my favorite games so I was bummed.

I remember Gothic having pretty wonky controls...how is Gothic 2 in terms controls/combat? I know the game has a lot of respect from RPG fans.

Gothic 2 has the exact same controls iirc.

Only Slightly Bent
Jul 6, 2013

Oliver Reed posted:

-available on PC*

Oblivion has a few mods that remove or modify the level scaling thing. Brasher's Oblivion Overhaul keeps level scaling for quest spawned npcs, removes it for random world npcs, and randomizes what will spawn for you (to name one).

Cantorsdust already touched on the downsides to Morrowind. If you want to play it with mods, I recommend the Morrowind Overhaul compilation (MGSO 3.0).

Also, have you looked at Mount and Blade: Warband? PC game from 2010, lots of replay ability with mods. Your character does progress from being varying degrees of awful to being a walking god. Start as a poor steppe bandit and become the ruler of your own kingdom.

There isn't much in the way of quests (the one's that exist are very simple); a lot of what you do is driven by your own goals. Combat is pretty fun; the closest game I can think of to compare it to is Chivalry.

But odds are you'll end up with a party of a few to a few hundred people. You don't really have to interact much (or at all) with them though. Combat is real time and commands given to them are simple (Infantry, attack. Archers, stand here. Cavalry, follow me. Etc).

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Divinity 2: Director's Cut?

This looks good. Why this cut in particular?

Cantorsdust posted:

Morrowind's combat sucks because every swing is a combat roll based on your weapon skill, so you can swing directly at them and whiff for no apparet reason. In addition, that roll is modified by your remaining fatigue, so if you were running around a lot before combat you may just be sitting there and whiffing for a long time. But it's not that bad, really. Install the mod that lets you swing with left click and cast spells with right click Oblivion style.

Do you happen to know what mod will allow me to do that?

Xzov posted:

Oblivion has a few mods that remove or modify the level scaling thing. Brasher's Oblivion Overhaul keeps level scaling for quest spawned npcs, removes it for random world npcs, and randomizes what will spawn for you (to name one).

This sounds like it could work perfectly. I've played Mount and Blade: Warband by the way, but for whatever reason I wasn't as taken with it as everyone else. I like it but it's not really what I'm after.

I think between Gothic 2, Divinity 2, Morrowind/Oblivion, I'll find what I want. Only question I have is if Dragon Age Origins meets any of the criteria I named, because it looks like it could be fun/like I can run it. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Guy Freeman
Aug 31, 2006
I'm looking for a space based rail shooter, basically like Star Fox 64, and I'm having a hell of a time finding anything close. I'd hope to find something on Steam, but suggestions on any console are welcome.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Freeman posted:

I'm looking for a space based rail shooter, basically like Star Fox 64, and I'm having a hell of a time finding anything close. I'd hope to find something on Steam, but suggestions on any console are welcome.

If you have a Wii or WiiU, go to the Wii Shop Channel and get yourself Sin and Punishment. It's not space-based, but it's a really good railshooter that plays fairly similar to Star Fox 64. It also has a retail-released sequel on the Wii called Sin and Punishment: Star Successor, aka Sin and Punishment: Successor to the Skies if you're in a PAL territory.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Oliver Reed posted:

It is essentially just what they're calling the most up-to-date version of the game that includes the expansion pack. I think all the online stores are selling just it now.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Mokinokaro posted:

Gothic 2 has the exact same controls iirc.

Gothic 2's controls are definitely different than Gothic 1 (to start with, they took mouse input into consideration from the beginning this time) but there's still a learning curve to them. It doesn't take a whole lot of time to adjust to them though.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Oliver Reed posted:

I think between Gothic 2, Divinity 2, Morrowind/Oblivion, I'll find what I want. Only question I have is if Dragon Age Origins meets any of the criteria I named, because it looks like it could be fun/like I can run it. Thanks to everyone who replied.

There's a Morrowind thread going in Games with a lot of mod discussion, check it out for help w/ that if you want. DA:O is a solid game IMO but is pretty heavy on controlling your party at all times and you'll have to do a good amount of pausing just to micro commands in battle, I had fun with it but admit it was kind of a pain in the rear end. It's just a shame it seems like so few good PC RPG's come out these days, Skyrim was the first one in a long rear end time that I spent a lot of time with (I didn't like Oblivion personally). I kind of turned to Roguelikes to get my character development satisfaction.

I'll second the Gothic suggestions though, it's been a long time since I played Gothic 1 but I remember having a lot of fun with it.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Oliver Reed posted:

Well, not that cut in particular, it's just that's the version that's a) on sale everywhere and b) not the first version (Ego Draconis) which was buggy and unbalanced (although that is also the name of the first part of the game, confusingly). Either Director's Cut or Dragon Knight Saga will do (as they're the same game).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Oliver Reed posted:

Do you happen to know what mod will allow me to do that?

This is the Morrowind modding thread. I think the mod you're looking for is Oblivion Style Spellcasting.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Oliver Reed posted:

-available on PC*

The Baldurs Gate games fit every criteria except the party one. Although you actually can play that game solo from what I hear, and it actually ends up making the game easier.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The Baldurs Gate games fit every criteria except the party one. Although you actually can play that game solo from what I hear, and it actually ends up making the game easier.

Oh yeah? I played a little Baldur's Gate back in the day but I have never been able to get into party RPGs, just way too much poo poo to micro-manage. I may have to dig that one up and try playing a solo run.

Then again I could just play more Neverwinter Nights...

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh yeah? I played a little Baldur's Gate back in the day but I have never been able to get into party RPGs, just way too much poo poo to micro-manage. I may have to dig that one up and try playing a solo run.

Then again I could just play more Neverwinter Nights...

There is a fair amount of party management, especially of your casters, but Baldur's Gate is worth it.

In particular, the BG - BG2 - BG2:ToB sequence does a better job than any other game ever made (not opinion, fact :colbert:) of fulfilling your "go from pitiful scrub to massively powerful force of nature" requirement, both in the combat mechanics and in the way the game treats you.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are there any games like FTL or Battleships Forever for naval battles?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Are there any games like FTL or Battleships Forever for naval battles?

Oh, perhaps Leviathan: Warships will scratch your fancy. Helps if you also like smooth jazz.

Coricron
Oct 16, 2013

Caufman posted:

Oh, perhaps Leviathan: Warships will scratch your fancy. Helps if you also like smooth jazz.

That game had one of the best trailers I have ever seen. It was one of the only games I bought on Steam in years for full retail price.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Coricron posted:

That game had one of the best trailers I have ever seen. It was one of the only games I bought on Steam in years for full retail price.

Apparently the voice was just the dude editing the trailer loving around.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Cheaper than a real boat.

You boat-er believe it.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Oliver Reed posted:

-available on PC*

If you are okay with rougelikes, Ragnarok seems to mostly fit your requirements. It is a pc game, and one that you could play on even the shittiest of computers. There is a very epic scale of progression, ending in literally aiding the gods themselves in the battle of Ragnarok. There are a lot of things you can do to improve your character (melt down everything in the game to make a suit of godlike armor of godliness, sit in a weird mist until you have 14 fingers and 4 arms, go to hel[st]l[/st] and eat the wildlife, etc). The combat is probably the weakest part, since it is mostly the bump-into-things combat of rougelikes; but there is some tactical depth to it. The game is quite non-linear, especially for a rougelike, and you only play as yourself.

exotarih
Apr 10, 2013
My girlfriend is looking for a visual novel type of game, with a fair share of decisions that influence the overall progression and give the game some replay value. According to her, it would be great if the game included some RPG elements (levelling, status points, equipment, things like that) but it shouldn't be too heavy on the combat-side of things. She recently played Cinders which she enjoyed but for her taste it was a bit 'too much' of a visual novel (i.e. much text, not many things happening). She greatly enjoyed Long Live the Queen, especially with the different classes and character skills.

Accordingly, something along the lines of Long Live the Queen would be great, maybe with some more RPG and decision 'elements'. The visuals shouldn't be too dated. She also enjoyed the Rune Factory/Harvest Moon series.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

exotarih posted:

My girlfriend is looking for a visual novel type of game, with a fair share of decisions that influence the overall progression and give the game some replay value. According to her, it would be great if the game included some RPG elements (levelling, status points, equipment, things like that) but it shouldn't be too heavy on the combat-side of things. She recently played Cinders which she enjoyed but for her taste it was a bit 'too much' of a visual novel (i.e. much text, not many things happening). She greatly enjoyed Long Live the Queen, especially with the different classes and character skills.

Accordingly, something along the lines of Long Live the Queen would be great, maybe with some more RPG and decision 'elements'. The visuals shouldn't be too dated. She also enjoyed the Rune Factory/Harvest Moon series.
Planescape: Torment is the best 'visual novel' type of game I've ever played, but the graphics are certainly dated.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Habibi posted:

Planescape: Torment is the best 'visual novel' type of game I've ever played, but the graphics are certainly dated.

Seconding this, but I think it's the best looking Infinity game by far. The pre-rendered backgrounds and sprites hold up really well to this day, especially with a widescreen mod.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How is Front Mission: Evolved? Does the 63/100 Metacritic rating bode badly, or is it just people sour over the fact that it's turned from SRPG to third person action game?

exotarih posted:

I heartily recommend Magical Diary, though it'd help if she's familiar with the tropes of Harry Potter fanfiction as MD riffs off that a lot.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CommissarMega posted:

How is Front Mission: Evolved? Does the 63/100 Metacritic rating bode badly, or is it just people sour over the fact that it's turned from SRPG to third person action game?

No, it's a bad game and I found the shittiest ACE game to be alright. Play Gun Hazard or Assault Suits Valken or Armored Core or something instead.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

I'm thinking and I honestly can't come up with much. Off the top of my head...
- There's MechWarrior, unless that's what you meant by Battlemech, which I assume you did because it's by far the most famous PC mech game.
- Metal Fatigue is an RTS where you build mechs to crush your enemies and get new parts to upgrade them with by tearing them off enemy mechs
- MissionForce: CyberStorm is a hilariously titled but actually rather good turn-based tactics game in the Starsiege (i.e. Tribes) universe
- I believe there's a MechWarrior mod for one of the Crysis games or something?
...and that's about it.

I guess you could emulate one of the Armoured Core or Front Mission games?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Shadowrun looks interesting but i've heard it's not a good entry point into the series or can i ignore this and enjoy a good game?

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Oliver Reed posted:

Morrowind is an option but I hear the combat sucks (in what way?)

It doesn't suck enough to warrant not playing it. If your PC can't deal with Skyrim, Morrowind is a great alternative Elder Scrolls game.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Smornstein posted:

Shadowrun looks interesting but i've heard it's not a good entry point into the series or can i ignore this and enjoy a good game?

Eh, I had no real history with the series apart from dicking about with SNES/GEN ROMs years back and I enjoyed the heck out of it. I need to get Dragonfall at some point, but I quite liked DMS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I've just been playing some wing commander and starlancer (the best dream cast game) and now I'm hungry for some really solid space dogfighting. Preferably with an easily ignorable plot, cockpit or third person view a bit of customisation (no grognard stuff).

360. Mac. Or retro consoles.

Go goons, go!