Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
The app crashes if you open the side menu and are auto banned. I don't know if being banned also affects it. However this means you can't log out of your banned account. I assume this has to do with the avatar preview (because it can't log in to see it, or because auto banned accounts still have their original avatar until they re reg)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Doesn't look very useful to me. I'm out. (Honestly it doesn't look very useful to anyone, but maybe I'll eat my words in a year when people are still using App Links.)

Fair enough, I'll leave Awful unmolested on that score.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I just pushed a branch that adds support for a Use Small Fonts global setting, so far only affecting PostsView. I'll get it working for thread view at least (and maybe forum list and sidebar?) and then submit a pull request.

It also makes some other CSS tweaks to shrink things down a bit, so maybe it should be called Use Compact UI instead? Or I could roll back those changes, but then short posts look like they're floating in a sea of white.

Edit: I actually only pushed the font size adjustment for postbody, it seems. Which is good, because the other CSS makes avatars HUGE, and has some other grossness. I'll try to fix that up tonight. Edit edit: or maybe trunk just has enormous avatars itself, because even without my CSS tweaks they're ALL THE BIG.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 2, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I guess my question would be is that really better than offering the font size slider in the app settings so people have options?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

I guess my question would be is that really better than offering the font size slider in the app settings so people have options?

We could, though I think it'll be hard to make it look good at arbitrary scale and still be legible. F.e, if you set it to 50%, postbody is quite small, but regdate/postdate are functionally illegible.

Do you think it's really important that people be able to select arbitrary gradations? It's not hard to do technically if people really want a straight font-size slider, but I remember trying to make Firefox UI be nice across a variety of font scales, and it was sort of sucky. I figured people really wanted a way to say "I have good eyes, make the content dense", but I can go the other way if that's what we decide.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's really hard to make that choice with actual user statistics, but the vibe I got was different people used different settings. I would just make it exactly like the old app handled it. I know one guy used that on the absolute lowest setting which is batshit crazy but users gonna be users.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

It's really hard to make that choice with actual user statistics, but the vibe I got was different people used different settings. I would just make it exactly like the old app handled it. I know one guy used that on the absolute lowest setting which is batshit crazy but users gonna be users.

OK, I never used the old app. Did it resize all text equally in all views? (Incl editing views? Buttons?)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It only touched the post content. So the name, postdate, and post. Would be cool if it affected the thread/bookmark listings too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

It only touched the post content. So the name, postdate, and post. Would be cool if it affected the thread/bookmark listings too.

OK. Resizing postdate and name doesn't change how many posts fit on the screen, because the header is dominated by the avatar, and the footer is dominated by the ellipsis menu. But it could be aesthetically nicer to do all of them, along with regdate.

Thanks, I'll give it a whirl.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Is there any way to make the app load the entire page and not just the new posts?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No Butt Stuff posted:

Is there any way to make the app load the entire page and not just the new posts?

When you go to a thread? The [Previous Posts] button at the top will show all preceding posts. Tapping the status bar will then scroll you to the top of the page.

Edit: the Safari remote debugger can suck my entire cock

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 2, 2014

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

pls use applinks for deep linking instead of any solution google provides (or is google backed, like urx). ty

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

uG posted:

The app crashes if you open the side menu and are auto banned. I don't know if being banned also affects it. However this means you can't log out of your banned account. I assume this has to do with the avatar preview (because it can't log in to see it, or because auto banned accounts still have their original avatar until they re reg)

Not looking forward to testing this one out but I'll add it to the list!

Subjunctive posted:

We could, though I think it'll be hard to make it look good at arbitrary scale and still be legible. F.e, if you set it to 50%, postbody is quite small, but regdate/postdate are functionally illegible.

Do you think it's really important that people be able to select arbitrary gradations? It's not hard to do technically if people really want a straight font-size slider, but I remember trying to make Firefox UI be nice across a variety of font scales, and it was sort of sucky. I figured people really wanted a way to say "I have good eyes, make the content dense", but I can go the other way if that's what we decide.

There was a whiff of "give people a knob and they'll turn it", no doubt. I think I even set the maximum to whatever fit a single letter on the screen, because I'd read about someone who actually did that so their terrible vision was useful again.

I admire your hesitancy in allowing people to set ridiculous, seemingly illegible font sizes. I think if we make everything look alright at the default size and the next few up and down, it's ok if more extreme sizes don't work as well.

If you really want to blow people's minds (?), reuse the defaults key from before and Awful will magically remember people's old font size.

edit: Here's the commit where I took out the font size setting. If you make it work like that that'd be fantastic.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 2, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Not looking forward to testing this one out but I'll add it to the list!

There was a whiff of "give people a knob and they'll turn it", no doubt. I think I even set the maximum to whatever fit a single letter on the screen, because I'd read about someone who actually did that so their terrible vision was useful again.

I admire your hesitancy in allowing people to set ridiculous, seemingly illegible font sizes. I think if we make everything look alright at the default size and the next few up and down, it's ok if more extreme sizes don't work as well.

If you really want to blow people's minds (?), reuse the defaults key from before and Awful will magically remember people's old font size.

edit: Here's the commit where I took out the font size setting. If you make it work like that that'd be fantastic.

OK, I can work with that. If I keep any other compacting changes, I'll just turn them on below 80% or some threshold that I choose in a drunken stupor.

I haven't thought at all about bigger text, but I wonder how many such people need more than the system dynamic text sizing provides. VoiceOver is probably the right path there, but it took me an hour to find my typo in the iOS "to-do list" tutorial today, so I'm trying to be conservative. :shobon:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

OK, I can work with that. If I keep any other compacting changes, I'll just turn them on below 80% or some threshold that I choose in a drunken stupor.

I haven't thought at all about bigger text, but I wonder how many such people need more than the system dynamic text sizing provides. VoiceOver is probably the right path there, but it took me an hour to find my typo in the iOS "to-do list" tutorial today, so I'm trying to be conservative. :shobon:

Actually we should think about what to do with Dynamic Type. Ignore it completely and just use our setting? Compound our setting with Dynamic Type, so e.g. a small Dynamic Type setting plus a large Awful Font Size setting ends up a wash? Setting to use one or the other? Use Dynamic Type for outside the posts view and Awful Font Size for the posts view (this is probably the wrongest answer)?

I'm kind of in favour of bailing completely on Dynamic Type, especially if our font size setting applies globally.

VoiceOver is meant to work in Awful, but if we're going to (re)do a font size setting we might as well make it work for everyone. I guarantee someone will pump up the size enough to turn a thread into single letter flash cards.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Wow. Latest beta on an up to date iPad 4 has the avatars astonishingly large. Is there a happy medium? I like seeing the avatars, but not when they take up a quarter of the screen.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

The Dave posted:

One of my random requests would be cleaning up the thread tag filter menu, Right now it's the only thing that's sort of from the iOS6 version of the app, in terms of appearance.

If I were to redesign it I would just make it look like the iOS7 photo grid. Nothing but the images with a little spacing between them. I would make it auto pick when you tap a thread tag instead of having to select a tag and then hit "Pick". No point in selecting then taking an action when you can't choose more than one tag. I would also change out the first icon with a square that just had text that said "No Filter".

I would also steal the blue checkmark icon to show selected thread tag when posting a thread.

Digging this up from pages back.. I started on this and the bigger thread tags look far better, but had you thought about how the single tap interaction would work for posting a new thread in Ask/Tell or SA Mart where we have secondary tags?

Also, where is the blue checkmark icon used currently?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bagina posted:

Wow. Latest beta on an up to date iPad 4 has the avatars astonishingly large. Is there a happy medium? I like seeing the avatars, but not when they take up a quarter of the screen.

Yep. Something's really screwed up with avatar sizing and spacing on my iPhone 5 too

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm sort of liking the broken avatars on iPhone. Only problem I have is a lotta goons got hosed up avs and I'm on this app in public all the time.

Froist posted:

Digging this up from pages back.. I started on this and the bigger thread tags look far better, but had you thought about how the single tap interaction would work for posting a new thread in Ask/Tell or SA Mart where we have secondary tags?

Also, where is the blue checkmark icon used currently?

I can design a look tonight where essentially you would have a row above the tags where you pick buying/ selling. Probably look a lot like the theme picker.

The blue checkmatk is in the native photos app when you mass select images. But I guess I'd have to make one with our shade of blue.

I have a lot of dead time this weekend. I'm running a 10mile race on Sunday so I'm basically doing nothing strenuous tonight / tomorrow night. I have a lot of awful big picture design ideas I'd love to mock up, anyone have anything they'd really like to see? I was thinking of tackling either search, archives, or tabs / read later. Just design though :)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also I just had a weird feature request that may not be possible:

Some sort of smilie auto fill or smilie insertion after you enter the tag and you're still typing. We use slack at work for IMing and it's a nice little feature.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

The Dave posted:

I'm sort of liking the broken avatars on iPhone. Only problem I have is a lotta goons got hosed up avs and I'm on this app in public all the time.

Everything being shifted to the left is annoying too (redownloaded the last beta to make sure I wasn't crazy)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah the padding is definitely missed.

I think I have another dev feature request: Could it be coded so the clock icon next to the post date is colored according to that text color, instead of maintaining different images and relying on the image to have the right color?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The Dave posted:

I think I have another dev feature request: Could it be coded so the clock icon next to the post date is colored according to that text color, instead of maintaining different images and relying on the image to have the right color?

We could probably do that in the CSS using filters.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the av-sizing and lack of borders has to be a bug? Need to make sure that's the case before I whack the CSS more for text sizing, though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

We could probably do that in the CSS using filters.

That clock is totally drawable as a single element, set border-radius: height/2, and add a pseudo-element with border-left: 1px; border-bottom: 1px.

Subjunctive posted:

I think the av-sizing and lack of borders has to be a bug? Need to make sure that's the case before I whack the CSS more for text sizing, though.

Yep no idea what the hell happened there but I'll fix it up.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Alright fixed. I forgot we were still detecting iPhone versus iPad using JavaScript, so I broke it, which meant the <body> wasn't getting an iphone or ipad class, which stopped some relevant styles from applying. I'm done messing with the CSS and markup for now, so have at 'er.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Subjunctive posted:

Padding and avatar issues are fixed. Thanks for the quick turn around on that. However, in quoting your post to thank you, it is only pulling Subjunctive's quote and not your post. Unless I'm missing something obvious...?

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Strike that, quotes are pretty broken. Going back and trying to edit a post is crashing the ap, and sometimes it is pulling quotes from other threads entirely.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Yep, quoting is screwed up on my Air. Trying to hit your first one quoted pokeyman when his post wasn't even loaded (I'd already seen it)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Hahahaha this app is such a mess.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

pokeyman posted:

Hahahaha this app is such a mess.

Quoting seems okay on the newest beta

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

jojoinnit posted:

Quoting seems okay on the newest beta

Yes, yes it does

Edit: As does editing

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Alright fixed. I forgot we were still detecting iPhone versus iPad using JavaScript, so I broke it, which meant the <body> wasn't getting an iphone or ipad class, which stopped some relevant styles from applying. I'm done messing with the CSS and markup for now, so have at 'er.

Cool. We want a slider that just does post-text scaling first (quotes are fine I think), and then something global to replace Dynamic Text after that?

Do we want to generally compact the UI for posts, or only < 80% scale factor, or not at all?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Cool. We want a slider that just does post-text scaling first (quotes are fine I think), and then something global to replace Dynamic Text after that?

Do we want to generally compact the UI for posts, or only < 80% scale factor, or not at all?

Yeah that sounds cool. I would say play with overall compaction and pick something that looks reasonable (I assume you're talking things like margins, images, buttons).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Yeah that sounds cool. I would say play with overall compaction and pick something that looks reasonable (I assume you're talking things like margins, images, buttons).

OK. It'll probably be a stepper rather than slider, since I think otherwise we will destroy some OCD people as they try to get it back to exactly 100% (and UIKit doesn't provide a discrete slider, and I don't think I want to write one). I need to munge the SettingsViewController to let me put a label next to the stepper, so expect some dumb-looking diffs until I figure out proper UIKit etiquette.

Edit: Hitting "Leper Colony" on master is tripping this assertion.

NSParameterAssert(user.userID.length > 0 || user.username.length > 0);

page=1, user=nil. Haven't looked into it at all.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 3, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I as picturing a stepper the whole time.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So I quick new look for tag picking / posting a thread:

I don't see any need for the "Pick" button. In the case of SA-Mart, it would auto close when the second object is chosen. I would also maybe make it so that row with the buying/selling badges stays fixed and just the tags scrolled below it. I would also make "Subject..." just a placeholder that gets replaced with the subject text.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

OK. It'll probably be a stepper rather than slider, since I think otherwise we will destroy some OCD people as they try to get it back to exactly 100% (and UIKit doesn't provide a discrete slider, and I don't think I want to write one). I need to munge the SettingsViewController to let me put a label next to the stepper, so expect some dumb-looking diffs until I figure out proper UIKit etiquette.

Edit: Hitting "Leper Colony" on master is tripping this assertion.

NSParameterAssert(user.userID.length > 0 || user.username.length > 0);

page=1, user=nil. Haven't looked into it at all.

Stepper makes sense. SettingsViewController is pretty shifty so, um, enjoy.

The Dave posted:

So I quick new look for tag picking / posting a thread:

I don't see any need for the "Pick" button. In the case of SA-Mart, it would auto close when the second object is chosen. I would also maybe make it so that row with the buying/selling badges stays fixed and just the tags scrolled below it. I would also make "Subject..." just a placeholder that gets replaced with the subject text.

This looks great! Froist if you want to take a swing at this let me know how it goes. I can do the left part if you like.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

Stepper makes sense. SettingsViewController is pretty shifty so, um, enjoy.

So far so good. I just use the Title as a format string (@"Font Scale: %d%%") and inject the value in there. Looks OK.

Trying to figure out where in the stepper->viewController->settings I'm losing the value, then I should be ready for review.

Do we have a text fixture for the Leper's Colony? I think we might be misparsing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Start messing with this screen. Very straight forward, results will be fun...

I'm also going to very slowly rename all of the design files we've worked on and organize things a little better and consolidate a lot of files, get everything in one place.

• Locked thread