Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dibujante posted:

A land invasion of Japan would probably just entail dropping a 24-stack of paratroopers in every single province followed by a 24-stack of marines landing on every single beach. Sorry, Japan :( You are small

You can only launch a naval invasion with at most seven units at a time, and I have never gotten paratroopers to work. Establish a beachhead and then pour your entire army onto it before it's lost.

EDIT: I might be misremebering, but I think the best option is to cut off and conquer the Kuriles or Sakhalin (Can't remember which one has it), then attack Hokkaido via the strait there.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kavak posted:

I have never gotten paratroopers to work.

Do you mean you can't airdrop them or your airborne invasions fail? If its the former, the transport planes need to be at full org before you can order the airborne assault mission.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
So far my Patriotic War is at least, for now going a lot more steadily than how it was historically:

Slowly losing ground. Cost them about 400 MP compared to 2000. It isn't the best trade but this is the Soviet Union. Hopefully I can drai their 2900 manpower.

On a more positive note Norway is getting cleaned up nicely

My only problem is that Production/Reinforcements don't play nice:

If I were to focus on both Production & Reinforcements then that would deprive literally all of the Reinforcements slider of any IC, despite having stuff to spare.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I am quite lazy in KR, any country I play that can afford it I build almost nothing but Infantry with both Artillery and Engineering brigades for my ground army. I do wish there was more to do a few years later in the game. The Second Weltkrieg is usually over before most nations even have the technology to field armored divisions.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ArchRanger posted:

I am quite lazy in KR, any country I play that can afford it I build almost nothing but Infantry with both Artillery and Engineering brigades for my ground army. I do wish there was more to do a few years later in the game. The Second Weltkrieg is usually over before most nations even have the technology to field armored divisions.

We put so much stuff into the beginning that it's hard to create enough content to do stuff afterwards. My advice is to go for a world conquest- pick your favorite dictatorship, edit out war declaration dissent if you want to, and just go loving nuts.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Kavak posted:

We put so much stuff into the beginning that it's hard to create enough content to do stuff afterwards. My advice is to go for a world conquest- pick your favorite dictatorship, edit out war declaration dissent if you want to, and just go loving nuts.

Oh I spend a ton of time conquering the world in KR. I'm aware that one of the downsides of HoI2 and its derivatives is that pretty much everything has to be custom scripted in order to make anything happen, one of the very few advantages 3 has over 2. One of the most fun games I've ever played was as CSA fighting a Germany that rolled over the rest of the world, fighting simultaneously on several continents. KR is incredible, I just have my fingers crossed that eventually there will be the absurd number of events required to cover all those possibilities, stuff like the liberation of the Commune of France and such. It does look to me like the mod will eventually make its way there, it's just gonna be a while.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

ArchRanger posted:

I love KR, but my biggest problem with it is that you never get a real world war. It all just feels like a lot of regional conflicts that are solved fairly quickly. I honestly think KR should do more to involve other countries into the weltkreig from the start (and later). I'd like to see Russia, Austria, The Ottomans etc to be involved in the actual world war more often.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kavak posted:

You can only launch a naval invasion with at most seven units at a time, and I have never gotten paratroopers to work. Establish a beachhead and then pour your entire army onto it before it's lost.

EDIT: I might be misremebering, but I think the best option is to cut off and conquer the Kuriles or Sakhalin (Can't remember which one has it), then attack Hokkaido via the strait there.

Paradrops work really well for me for some reason. As USA, I conquered German Europe by simply rotating three waves of paratroopers - establish a front, drop troops behind the front, collapse it, rinse and repeat.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

lullelulle posted:

I love KR, but my biggest problem with it is that you never get a real world war. It all just feels like a lot of regional conflicts that are solved fairly quickly. I honestly think KR should do more to involve other countries into the weltkreig from the start (and later). I'd like to see Russia, Austria, The Ottomans etc to be involved in the actual world war more often.

I think that's supposed to be the point. Instead of the single earth-shattering conflict of WWII, you have a bunch of comparatively small wars going off as the world struggles to find a stable order, or at least a few good regional ones. Building up a Weltkrieg II would mean the little countries getting eclipsed by the traditional big players, and that difference is one of the reasons Kaiserreich is so popular compared to vanilla Darkest Hour. I agree that the Austrians should get involved against the Syndicalists more often, and there's a chain for Russia and the International having at it being worked on right now.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kavak posted:

I think that's supposed to be the point. Instead of the single earth-shattering conflict of WWII, you have a bunch of comparatively small wars going off as the world struggles to find a stable order, or at least a few good regional ones. Building up a Weltkrieg II would mean the little countries getting eclipsed by the traditional big players, and that difference is one of the reasons Kaiserreich is so popular compared to vanilla Darkest Hour. I agree that the Austrians should get involved against the Syndicalists more often, and there's a chain for Russia and the International having at it being worked on right now.

I always thought the weirdest thing about KR was how Canada's game goes.

Retaking Britain is self-defeating because as soon as you do, welp, time to be a junior partner under the island that gave itself up to the filthy syndicalists. Unless that's changed since I last played.

Tamerlame
Oct 20, 2012

Kavak posted:

Yeah, I understand that I kind of want to keep the cake and eat it too. But I often feel the various wars a bit anti-climactic as it stands now. Mainly the second weltkrieg, which most of the time really is more of a regional conflict.

It's pretty cool that a Russia-Internationale thing is being worked on though, I think getting Russia into the game more often would go a long way towards making the war "bigger".

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

cock hero flux posted:

Retaking Britain is self-defeating because as soon as you do, welp, time to be a junior partner under the island that gave itself up to the filthy syndicalists. Unless that's changed since I last played.

Isn't retaking the island putting the deposed HM's government back in place? So it's really more like Free France coming back and taking over Vichy France.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

Like axeil said, you've restored the United Kingdom and have returned to your old Dominion status. I'd prefer Canada being granted autonomy afterwards (Or a bit of tag switching to turn the player into the UK and Canada into their puppet to represent the exiled government returning home), but the team has gone on record that fully controlling Canada and Britain at the same time is not going to happen. I'll pass along the idea of a provisional government, though.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kavak posted:

Like axeil said, you've restored the United Kingdom and have returned to your old Dominion status. I'd prefer Canada being granted autonomy afterwards (Or a bit of tag switching to turn the player into the UK and Canada into their puppet to represent the exiled government returning home), but the team has gone on record that fully controlling Canada and Britain at the same time is not going to happen. I'll pass along the idea of a provisional government, though.

Maybe the player should choose to either become Britain, or stay Canada. If they become Britain, then Canada gets released as a dominion and they get various choices concerning Canada's overall level of autonomy, with a chance of certain choices leading to armed rebellion. If they stay Canada, then Britain gets released as their overlord with the AI picking such choices as to give the Canada player a chance at armed rebellion?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
You could give the player control of both countries but put a "reintegration turmoil" event together which nerfs the combined countries down a bit.

If "being overpowered" is the problem, that is.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dibujante posted:

Maybe the player should choose to either become Britain, or stay Canada. If they become Britain, then Canada gets released as a dominion and they get various choices concerning Canada's overall level of autonomy, with a chance of certain choices leading to armed rebellion. If they stay Canada, then Britain gets released as their overlord with the AI picking such choices as to give the Canada player a chance at armed rebellion?

That's basically what I said? :confused: I don't think a Canadian rebellion is really necessary, and we already have events for picking who becomes Governor-General or whatever once Britain is retaken. Britain was pretty hands-off with even the Caribbean Federation, which Canada could easily control directly, so I think they're okay with giving their empire some leeway.

Gort posted:

You could give the player control of both countries but put a "reintegration turmoil" event together which nerfs the combined countries down a bit.

If "being overpowered" is the problem, that is.

I'm fine with just telling the player its one or the other instead of curbing IC or whatever. Canada's been a dominion for 70 years by game time, they're not going back to direct rule by London and Britain's too populated to control from Ottowa as anything but an occupation zone (I think that's one of the options in the postwar events, but it gives you like 20 dissent because its brutish and stupid).

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kavak posted:

No, fully controlling both would be a bit silly.

But having the UK be the junior partner might be fun, especially since to even get to that point you have to prove you can kick their rear end militarily.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
The player should be given the option to play as Britain when they retake the isles, follow the royal family.

e: Also Britain should be the minor partner, it makes no sense for a wartorn, weeks old government to have authority over the Canadian military superpower.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

uPen posted:

The player should be given the option to play as Britain when they retake the isles, follow the royal family.

e: Also Britain should be the minor partner, it makes no sense for a wartorn, weeks old government to have authority over the Canadian military superpower.

Yeah, puppeting Canada is making less and less sense the more I think about it. I'll try to do something about it this summer, finals are imminent for me.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I would say either A) Canada is the major partner, and the royal family rules from Canada, their safer more loyal dominion, or B) the royal family returns to London, but Canada is granted total autonomy so that it can continue to act as the royal family's trusted guard against a radicalized Syndicalist population (in gameplay terms; huge relationship boost between the UK and Canada, Canada and Britain both independent nations with the same head of state and an alliance). The latter feels harder to write a coherent explanation about ("Thanks for restoring our throne Canada! If it wasn't for you we could have never retaken our throne, you are the only reason we are back in power! By the way, we relinquish all authority over you and rule in name only, be free my child!") but the former feels a little too overpowered and as you mentioned, Canada ruling Britain would be hard even if the average Brit wasn't a radical Syndicalist.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DrProsek posted:

I would say either A) Canada is the major partner, and the royal family rules from Canada, their safer more loyal dominion, or B) the royal family returns to London, but Canada is granted total autonomy so that it can continue to act as the royal family's trusted guard against a radicalized Syndicalist population (in gameplay terms; huge relationship boost between the UK and Canada, Canada and Britain both independent nations with the same head of state and an alliance). The latter feels harder to write a coherent explanation about ("Thanks for restoring our throne Canada! If it wasn't for you we could have never retaken our throne, you are the only reason we are back in power! By the way, we relinquish all authority over you and rule in name only, be free my child!") but the former feels a little too overpowered and as you mentioned, Canada ruling Britain would be hard even if the average Brit wasn't a radical Syndicalist.

Well it'd make sense to have an event fire that lets the player choose.

A chain that leads to Canada becoming the major partner as the Royal family feels safer ruling from there and it's become more powerful and more industrialized. Could cause a resurgence in support for Syndicalism in the UK since they'd likely resent being held under a former colony, meaning that the UK could possibly deal with a second revolution, especially if there are still other Syndicalist countries that remain undefeated.

A chain that leads to the old order of the UK being the major partner and Canada being a colony, which could lead to Canada attempting to break off as they feel like they've been used and forgotten and that they're more powerful than the UK and have no reason to answer to them anymore.

A chain where Canada attempts a full occupation of Britain, leading to them remaining in control but Britain being treated as foreign territory.

A number of different ways for things to go would be interesting. The UK being back on top with no questions asked makes very little sense.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Oh absolutely! I forgot to mention that, but having an event with a couple of different choices would be really nice. Having Canada be a fully autonomous ally of Britain could be the middle option that doesn't cost much from Canada, but all it gets you is an ally that might collapse to rebels at any point anyway (maybe a decision to ask Britain for North Ireland or something so that Canada has a presence near Britain to protect the royals). The other options that try to put one nation under the other should all cost a combination of relations with other nations, money, and event chains/rebellions to put down but if you can pull it off give you one larger nation.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Westminster System posted:

Croatia gives you military access but likely isn't your ally in the war as its Hungary's puppet, not yours. You can't attack through a country you only have mil access in.

This was it, thanks! The stupid thing is that neither they, Bosnia or Croatia wanted to ally with me so in effect I couldn't attack Serbia. Had to cheat my way out of that one, but anyhow it's solved.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Considering all the other crazy stuff in KR its kind of disappointing you can't form a federal british empire.

Star posted:

This was it, thanks! The stupid thing is that neither they, Bosnia or Croatia wanted to ally with me so in effect I couldn't attack Serbia. Had to cheat my way out of that one, but anyhow it's solved.

Glad I had the epiphany that resolved the issue :p.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Well, there's basically two ways the Royal Family can get back Britain, right? Either from the collapse of the Union of Britain (very rare), or the straight up conquest of the UoB by Canada. The way I see it, given the massive undertaking involved in a transatlantic invasion, the fighting for britain would be so heavy to blast the country out essentially. The aristocrats and capitalists from Britain who commandeered Canada to fight the Syndicalists would be returning from Canada to find their estates dismantled, their factories repurposed, their workers disgruntled at the idea of giving up their joint control of those industries.

I think in that situation, you'd see a circumstance whereby the British elite gets to britain, realises everything is hosed, and head back off to Canada where things are relatively speaking much better. A provisional government in Britain would make a lot of sense, with the state taking direct control of industries and agriculture for a time before slowly privatising the holdings back into private ownership.

So what I'd think you'd see is a situation where Canada initially retains its place as the premier state of the Commonwealth while they attempt to reconstruct the UK, but the native Canadians start getting pretty darn restless because they've done their bit for the motherland and want their own country back. So as a Canadian player you'd have a choice, do you try to maintain Aristocratic control of Canada while the reconstruction proceeds (success would mean a reconstructed UK leading the Commonwealth and you'd tagswitch over to them once reconstruction is finished with Canada as a puppet, but you'd have the challenge of a canadian rebellion which might be supported by the USA or its successor), continue reconstruction while transitioning back to Canadian rule in Canada (safest option, you pick after reconstruction whom you want to play, and the UK and canada merely have an alliance at the end of it), or canadian outrage at the aristos attempting to alter the terms of the deal forces the Britons back to London (which leads to a Loyalist uprising either in Canada or the UK, or a fresh syndicalist resurgence in the UK, leading either to Canadian victory with the UK as a puppet, a Loyalist victory in Canada which is game over, or a successful Loyalist or Syndicalist revolt in the UK, which leaves the UK/UoB independent).

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
How similar is the gameplay between Crusader Kings II and EUIV? I've been playing CKII nonstop and want to give EUIV a shot, but CKII had a pretty steep initial learning curve and I'd like to know if learning it will give me an edge in jumping into EUIV.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Esroc posted:

How similar is the gameplay between Crusader Kings II and EUIV? I've been playing CKII nonstop and want to give EUIV a shot, but CKII had a pretty steep initial learning curve and I'd like to know if learning it will give me an edge in jumping into EUIV.

Much different, but I'd say it's more of a lateral movement, not really that one game is easier than the other. CK2 focuses on families, while EU4 focuses on nation-states. In terms of expectations, EU4 is much more "Civ-like," if that appeals at all to you.

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
EU4 is also a lot more focused on painting the map your color and fighting external enemies. Compared to Crusader Kings domestic conflict is much more muted.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I think one of my favourite moments in KR was getting into a series of major battleship duels as Canada against the Union of Britain, near the Strait of Gibraltar.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
My KR game never kicked off any war. Germany backed down over the French claims on Switzerland and the French backed down over Alsace so now it's 1944 and they're just sitting there, at peace. As the Danubian Federation, I've managed to annex all of the Balkans though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Star posted:

My KR game never kicked off any war. Germany backed down over the French claims on Switzerland and the French backed down over Alsace so now it's 1944 and they're just sitting there, at peace. As the Danubian Federation, I've managed to annex all of the Balkans though.

Haha, that's like a 1 in 100 chance. Reminds me of a 1914 mod game I played where Austro-Hungary didn't give a poo poo when the Archduke was shot, and on the reload Serbia caved to all of their demands preventing the war a second time.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Star posted:

That's exactly what happened to me, playing as the Danubian Federation even! Will the war still kick off eventually?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Farecoal posted:

That's exactly what happened to me, playing as the Danubian Federation even! Will the war still kick off eventually?

I think it's still possible for the Entente and Internationale to go to war over Iceland, if that event chain hasn't already happened yet.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Sometimes everything just rolls right/wrong to make your Kaiserreich game completely boring. Like when everything goes your way and you peacefully integrate China/Danube. Kind of ruins the point of trying to play one of those games when it happens.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Esroc posted:

They actually compliment each other nicely, it won't teach you how to play EU IV, but its fun as hell and its full of insane poo poo (in a very good way). EU is more external and CK is more internal and more limited in scope, but they never feel like why play one when you have the other. Yeah I know it's not what you asked per se, but just buy EU too. :)

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pakled posted:

I think it's still possible for the Entente and Internationale to go to war over Iceland, if that event chain hasn't already happened yet.

That chain happened to me without war but for some reason I don't understand, in 30 july 1945 France had the Alsace event again and they went to war. So it'll be fun to see what happens now.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Kavak posted:

What I did was load my army onto the transport fleet, sent a navy to block the strait to Honshu (since you should have annihilated the IJN before even considering an invasion) paradrop some PTs on an undefended (and non-beach) province in Hokkaido, and then move my transport fleet into port immediately. Bam, you now have a beachhead that Japan cannot get any reinforcements to (and the AI will probably move its troops elsewhere in the isles to Sendai in a futile attempt to repel you :downs:).

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Lately I've been trying to improve my game speed in Vic2, and I came across a few posts on the official forum from a couple years ago suggesting that I try increasing the update_time parameter in settings.txt. Supposedly that speeds the game up at the cost of some interface lag? Anyway, I've given it a shot, but every time I make the change and start a game, it reverts back to update_time=1.000000.

Has anyone here ever tried to do something similar before? Does it just not work anymore? Has it ever?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
I think it worked when I tried it, but any significant improvement in gameplay speed was ruined by how unresponsive and awful the interface became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Haha, that's like a 1 in 100 chance. Reminds me of a 1914 mod game I played where Austro-Hungary didn't give a poo poo when the Archduke was shot, and on the reload Serbia caved to all of their demands preventing the war a second time.
I still have fond memories of the time I played Germany in HoI2, Danzig or War fired, and Poland peacefully ceded Danzig to me.

I mean, I manually declared war on Poland a few months later, but that was an awkward few months between then.

• Locked thread