Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

IRQ posted:

People actually watch the Super Bowl to see the ads.

idgi, the "good" ones wind up on youtube and every tv news outlet the next morning.

I think I'm experiencing culture shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah, the next day at work everyone is talking about the ads and not the game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Nobody really watches the Super Bowl for the game, it's often the most boring game of the season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Yeah that's insane, I remember trying to watch the Super Bowl years ago and giving up because of the advert breaks. Whenever the game paused for US breaks we got a gormless pundit desperately trying to fill dead air. Same with the Oscars.

I tend to watch the SB on whoever has the UK terrestrial broadcast (used to be BBC who weren't bad, now it's C4 who were a bit poo poo) and flick over to USTVNow to watch the adverts rather than further play analysis.

When I watch season games on GamePass, if I can't watch live they cut the commercials out within a few hours and takes about an hour off.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Nobody really watches the Super Bowl for the game, it's often the most boring game of the season.

Hey now, this year's Super Bowl game was hilarious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

hope and vaseline posted:

Gillian Anderson too. Swoooon.

(Her last scene in Hannibal had this crazy restrained sexuality delivery that made me kind of question mine)

She doesn't restrain any sexuality on The Fall. It's on Netflix.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

among my friends advertising is more likely to make us not buy a product than to buy one. Younger people these days, and again no data here, seem to loving hate advertising.

The insidious part of advertising is that it works even if you hate it. No, you're not going to immediately go out and buy Twizzlers because Myka stops her investigation to talk about how much she likes Twizzlers on Warehouse 13. However, you are much more likely to notice the Twizzler endcap display in the supermarket after her little spiel. And, really, that's all it takes.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 2, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Gonna buy me tons of Surfaces because every drat show promotes them.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

raditts posted:

This year's was a pretty boring blowout (unless you like watching Peyton Manning/the Broncos lose), but there's been plenty of good ones in recent years.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

Gonna buy me tons of Surfaces because every drat show promotes them.

It's a known fact that everyone who ever watched Heroes now drives a Nissan Versa.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

DaveWoo posted:

It's a known fact that everyone who ever watched Heroes now drives a Nissan Versa.

NISSAN VUWSAAAA!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

The insidious part of advertising is that it works even if you hate it. No, you're not going to immediately go out and buy Twizzlers because Myka stops her investigation to talk about how much she likes Twizzlers on Warehouse 13. However, you are much more likely to notice the Twizzler endcap display in the supermarket after her little spiel. And, really, that's all it takes.

Without data to support a causal link, I don't buy it. I'm pretty set in my buying ways, I pretty much know what I want when I go to a store and I don't really deviate from it.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've heard that "even if it's annoying it forms an association" nonsense so many times and it is bunk. Yes, it does form an association, but it isn't a good one for the company. It ensure that I will never buy that product.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Mu Zeta posted:

She doesn't restrain any sexuality on The Fall. It's on Netflix.

If that's the show I'm thinking of (set in Ireland?) then be warned before you check it out that it's a fair bit disappointing. It's no-where near garbage, it's well produced, acted and (in certain ways) well written. It just really, really exceeds it's grasp. That and it suffers from a weird problem I see in European shows, where they try too hard it comes off as really self-congratulating and pretentious.

Like I said don't get me wrong, it's not bad but it's no-where near as good as it thinks it is. The best parts are the main lady giving speeches, which are usually great. Everything else though suffers from really bad decisions, though it might be a lot more forgivable if you're used to just watching American stuff.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Without data to support a causal link, I don't buy it. I'm pretty set in my buying ways, I pretty much know what I want when I go to a store and I don't really deviate from it.

I can't really argue with you without knowing more about your buying habits, but considering the number of trailers and presses releases you've posted in this thread alone, I'm calling bullshit.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I've heard that "even if it's annoying it forms an association" nonsense so many times and it is bunk. Yes, it does form an association, but it isn't a good one for the company. It ensure that I will never buy that product.

Business illiterate goons discuss business ITT.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I will say trailers are a different beast. I like trailers!

Oh are you RPing a business expert this month?

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

What are the rats of companies doing in-house advertising vs farming it out to ad companies?

Because at this point I'm convinced ad companies are just con-men swindling the companies that use them.

I mean that's the only thing that makes sense to me at this point. 'Your product did well? Must have been our ad campaign!' 'Your product didn't sell? Must have been a lovely product! Because even bad advertisements form an association you see...' and so on.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I will say trailers are a different beast. I like trailers!

Different ads work on different levels. Trailers are effective on you on a conscious level because you're interested in the information they're presenting (ie you're engaged). A Windex commercial is working on a more subconscious level, but make no mistake, its still working.

zoux posted:

Oh are you RPing a business expert this month?

No, not RPing. You don't have to be a business expert to understand that no one is impervious to advertising. If you're being bombarded with messages 24/7, they're going to affect you whether you understand it or not.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm saying I'm open to the possibility, but I'd like to see some study or data demonstrating a causal link. I googled it and there were a bunch of journal articles :barf:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I'm saying I'm open to the possibility, but I'd like to see some study or data demonstrating a causal link. I googled it and there were a bunch of journal articles :barf:

So what you're saying is that you'd like an easily digestible press release to convey that information to you? Perhaps something you could read in, say, 30-45 seconds? :smug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

g...guh :negative:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

You know who you're replying to, right?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I tend to only notice products if I already own them. Like, every time I see a laptop or a car that's a brand I own(ed).

Wait, maybe it's working!

I can't really stand trailers in general, it seems like every year they keep ramping up "how much of the last 30 minute of the movie can we show you".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

You know who you're replying to, right?

Yeah I get Irish Joe on a level none of the worthless philistines in this thread could ever hope to grasp.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Sometimes I've got a commercial in my mind, and I can't remember what they're pitching. It's usually a car.

Anyways, if a compelling study come out that TV advertising doesn't work, wouldn't that be super bad for TV?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Burn it all to the ground. Go back to live televised stage plays.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fooz posted:

Sometimes I've got a commercial in my mind, and I can't remember what they're pitching. It's usually a car.

Anyways, if a compelling study come out that TV advertising doesn't work, wouldn't that be super bad for TV?

Hahah if people believed compelling studies we would have so many fewer problems in this world.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

Well I can't imagine huge companies paying for ads and ad spot and someone asks if they're effective and they say "yeah probably who knows".

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Fooz posted:

Well I can't imagine huge companies paying for ads and ad spot and someone asks if they're effective and they say "yeah probably who knows".

I don't even know why certain companies bother to advertise. Everyone knows Coca-Cola exists, why do we need to see a coca-cola commercial?

Why do we need to see any commercial for a product worth more than 30$, particularly cars, for which advertising is completely useless. Anyone who buys a car after seeing a commercial is a moron, unless it's a prius.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Ravane posted:

I don't even know why certain companies bother to advertise. Everyone knows Coca-Cola exists, why do we need to see a coca-cola commercial?

Why do we need to see any commercial for a product worth more than 30$, particularly cars, for which advertising is completely useless. Anyone who buys a car after seeing a commercial is a moron, unless it's a prius.

That's cute, you think people buy things for their functionality and not for glamour / as a status symbol. I just wanna pinch your cheeks!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ravane posted:

Why do we need to see any commercial for a product worth more than 30$, particularly cars, for which advertising is completely useless.

At least some car commercials still actually tell you a little bit about the product, which is more than can be said for almost every other commercial for anything ever.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

precision posted:

At least some car commercials still actually tell you a little bit about the product, which is more than can be said for almost every other commercial for anything ever.

And sometimes you get awesome car commercials like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqaFu2maDg

Oh Hiddles :swoon:

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

cool kids inc. posted:

And sometimes you get awesome car commercials like this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFqaFu2maDg

Oh Hiddles :swoon:

Why does everyone like this prematurely balding british buffzod? I can see the appeal in his voice and he appears to have some charisma, but I don't know what he's famous for, nor why people adore him so.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ravane posted:

Why does everyone like this prematurely balding british buffzod? I can see the appeal in his voice and he appears to have some charisma, but I don't know what he's famous for, nor why people adore him so.
He plays Loki in the Thor/Avengers films.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Tumblr

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ravane posted:

The point of a Coca-Cola commercial is to control the brand's image. They want you to associate Coke with good things--family, nostalgia, childhood, cute animals, etc--and not things like high fructose corn syrup, obesity and tooth decay.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

DivisionPost posted:

My DVR doesn't have that option; neither does Verizon's, last I checked. I can see it being a thing with TiVo or DirecTV, though.

Verizon's DVR absolutely does it and always has (I've had one since pretty much the beginning.) I'm not sure what the buttons are on the regular remote (I think they look like tiny little curvy arrows), but there is an (adjustable even) skip forward and skip backward functionality.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

You mean you didn't get Head-On and apply directly to the forehead?

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Irish Joe posted:

The point of a Coca-Cola commercial is to control the brand's image. They want you to associate Coke with good things--family, nostalgia, childhood, cute animals, etc--and not things like high fructose corn syrup, obesity and tooth decay.

Wow, that is actually a genius idea. I take my anti-cokeisms back.

Josh Lyman posted:

He plays Loki in the Thor/Avengers films.

Oh, The Avengers. That's where I've seen him. I still think the fascination with him is strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

smg77 posted:

I have trouble believing that advertisers are as excited about DVR numbers as the networks want them to be. Do a ton of people record stuff and then *not* fast forward through the ads when they watch the show?

I do, sometimes.

I'm doing a budget for someone right now and I have a DVR'ed episode of the Daily Show on in the background right now. I read your comment and realized I had just missed skipping a commercial break.

• Locked thread