Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?

Bold Robot posted:

Thanks for the advice on the DLC. :thumbsup:

I'm trying out a game starting as Dublin, since I have basically forgotten how to play this and the OP recommends that as a tutorial. I've picked up a couple more counties and they are now in my demesne, but I have multiple sons so there will be title loss on succession. For some reason, I can't grant the titles that will be lost to my eldest son. Should I just change my laws to Primogeniture? Is there some other way around this that people tend to use?

You should also have access to tanistry which keeps the title with your dynasty but switches out families.
Makes for some interesting games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If I buy a DLC, do I need to start a new game to take advantage of the new features?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

If I buy a DLC, do I need to start a new game to take advantage of the new features?

No. The only weirdness would be if you add Sons of Abraham to a game in progress, since it takes the game a little bit to fill out the college of cardinals.

I believe that the AI, by default, uses all of the DLC features, but I could be wrong. Do vikings still raid you if you don't have Old Gods?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

DStecks posted:

Do vikings still raid you if you don't have Old Gods?
Yes, they do.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Just saw an adventurer raise an army of 30,000 men and 75 elephants to take a Kingdom with a grand total of 7 holdings. "Good luck with that" indeed.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Are there any mods that just add a pile of new events without any major gameplay changes?

Jack the Stripper
Feb 9, 2014

Your local cheese loving, wooden shoes wearing drug addict.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Are there any mods that just add a pile of new events without any major gameplay changes?

Viet is probably what you're looking for. It adds new traits & events, and adds alot of things you can customize or turn off in-game. No major changes whatsoever.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ahahahahaha, wow. Two separate holy wars (well actually four or five if you count the ones that were declared but never actually did anything) from my vassals just took out the last of the Saffarids. Their dynasty no longer holds any land or power, because my vassals decided that I wasn't the only one who should get to holy war her enemies to death.

Too bad I'm going to have to take away all that land they claimed so I can have pretty borders inside my borders. But that can wait until I deal with the people outside my borders.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is it possible to stick a kingdom back together that fractured due to Gavelkind? I had Ireland, Scotland, and Wales and was drat close to forging Britannia so I wouldn't have to worry about it but pneumonia happened and my king died at like 41 with...uhm...a lot of heirs. Now I have Scotland and not much else. Or do I just have to go punch somebody else in the dick and take their empire? My plan was to form Britannia then go take the holy sites and reform the Vikings but, well, Crusader Kings happened.

I'm pretty sure that when a Gavelkind realm gets split up, every child gets strong claims on all the titles that were split up. So you should be able to war for each of the other king titles.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?
Just wanna show of my Zirid Muslim empire so far (1244)(all of the black). My dynasty has 755 living members. Decadence? What decadence? :psyduck:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

Dutchfool posted:

Viet is probably what you're looking for. It adds new traits & events, and adds alot of things you can customize or turn off in-game. No major changes whatsoever.

I'd really like to try VIET but it's not on the Workshop and for some reason you can't even look at the mod section on the Paradox forums without logging in. Of course I can't l just log in either, it keeps telling me my account has been merged (?) or just tells me that the password from the reset email is wrong. :sigh:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

wilbur.walsh posted:

Just wanna show of my Zirid Muslim empire so far (1244)(all of the black). My dynasty has 755 living members. Decadence? What decadence? :psyduck:

Oh, what empire is black?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Main Paineframe posted:

I'm pretty sure that when a Gavelkind realm gets split up, every child gets strong claims on all the titles that were split up. So you should be able to war for each of the other king titles.

The pretenders do, but the primary heir doesn't, specifically to prevent just re-absorbing them all like that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Inside Outside posted:

I'd really like to try VIET but it's not on the Workshop and for some reason you can't even look at the mod section on the Paradox forums without logging in. Of course I can't l just log in either, it keeps telling me my account has been merged (?) or just tells me that the password from the reset email is wrong. :sigh:

They wedged the forums accounts into yet another half-baked social networking thing they cooked up. Paradox... Connect? There should be a second login button somewhere that you can use your original login details with. I think?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I decided to start a new game (without VIET, as the converter isn't quite all there yet), and I realised why I normally play with randomised games. Blobs. I like playing small to medium sized realms, but in vanilla you have France and the HRE sitting in Western and Central Europe, and in the Middle East you have the Seljuks (I started at 1111, for a somewhat shorter game, playing as Georgia). So, here's my question: what's a good way to destabilise the Seljuks, when they're massive and everybody loves them? As-is, they could roll me over at any time.

Edit: Should I just hand over my heir to them and hope they become Turkish but not Sunni, so they don't hate me quite as much?

catlord fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 2, 2014

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Inside Outside posted:

Your need to use your email for the username

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

Torrannor posted:

Oh, what empire is black?

None that I know of. I just repainted my terretory black because the "sand"tone wasn't as distinguishable from other yellow colors as I hoped it would be.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Reveilled posted:

Probably because your empire is set to absolute cognatic but your kingdoms have different succession laws. Go to the laws page and click on the shields for your kingdom titles to adjust their laws.

You should be able to trasfer the vassalage of dukes to their de-jure lieges, so if you hold the titles of Rus and Ruthenia you won't be able to transfer Russian or Ruthenian dukes to another vassalised king. In any case, the most recent patch made vassal kings hate being vassalised, so powering them up too much could get you in serious trouble later down the line.

Oh, I got it. I though the laws were valid for the whole empire. Thanks.

And no, the duchys I was trying to transfer to vassal kings arent their de-jure, so I guess I cant. And now that you said that, I think I will stop gibing then anything (although I didnt had much trouble so far keeping my 6 vassal kings happy).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Question about creating titles. Playing in Ireland, I currently control Dublin, Kildare, Leinster, and Ossary, which together form the Petty Kingdom of Tara. I have the option to create the Duchy of Leinster. Why or why not might I want to do this? If it matters, 3 of my counties are my demesne, while I have given the fourth to my minor son and heir.

Also, more generally, I'm kind of at a loss for how to start expanding into the other Irish kingdoms and counties. Just forge a bunch of claims? Marry my daughters off to them and hope I end up with a weak claim at some point? Somehow cajole one of them into marrying a daughter off to my son?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Bold Robot posted:

Question about creating titles. Playing in Ireland, I currently control Dublin, Kildare, Leinster, and Ossary, which together form the Petty Kingdom of Tara. I have the option to create the Duchy of Leinster. Why or why not might I want to do this? If it matters, 3 of my counties are my demesne, while I have given the fourth to my minor son and heir.

As a ruler, you can have up to 4 (I think? Might be 2?) ducal titles to your name before your vassals start getting uppity. Each title will give you a prestige bonus (and a relations malus to all your vassals if you have too many ducal titles), so it's silly not to have them.

If you control a kingdom (not a petty one, but a real one), you can create the title and then give it to a courtier/family member to keep your realm nice and decentralized. If you don't control an actual kingdom title, hold onto the duke titles until you do. If you give it away to anyone, they'll become independent, since they're de facto the same rank as you on the feudalism scale.

As to your second question: yes, all of those things. Except you want to marry your eldest son to their daughters, so your heir will either inherit their lands or have a strong claim to them. Marrying daughters abroad is really only good for the alliances -- in fact, when they have children (of the other family's dynasty, no less), you'll accomplish the reverse and THEIR family will have claims on YOUR titles. If you have a good, high diplomacy skill chancellor (15+), you should have no issue fabricating claims.

Drone fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 2, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I don't get it. Retinues make the game a complete cakewalk after a certain realm size since you have tens of thousands of zero-upkeep troops of your cultural type hanging around at all times and the AI doesn't seem to know how to do the same.

So uh, why do people say Legacy of Rome is a must-have DLC because it adds retinues?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
They're pretty useful, and represent the only real way to specialize your forces.

I have noticed that, though. They're nice, but they probably shouldn't overshadow your regular troops so strongly. Maybe if your retinue limits were significantly reduced, it would be better.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

I don't get it. Retinues make the game a complete cakewalk after a certain realm size since you have tens of thousands of zero-upkeep troops of your cultural type hanging around at all times and the AI doesn't seem to know how to do the same.

So uh, why do people say Legacy of Rome is a must-have DLC because it adds retinues?

That's... that's pretty much it. They make the game a lot easier. They're especially a boon to new players. Plus it's nice just to have control over unit types in your army, so you can create specialized flanks made entirely of cavalry or heavy infantry so that your generals will get the most out of their tactics. It's also nice not to have 3,000 light infantry in a stack doing nothing but making you think your army is a lot stronger than it really is. Retinues give you a hell of a lot more value for their numbers because you only get the GOOD unit types.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Few more noob questions:

1. I have no retinues and I want to create one. When I mouse over the button to create a retinue, the game says I am already at the cap. What's the deal?

2. My son and heir, who is also my vassal, recently attained majority and I want to marry him off to someone. When I go to his character and try to arrange either a marriage or a betrothal, it only gives me the option of trying to arrange a marriage between someone in my court and someone in his. If your child is your vassal, can you not arrange a marriage for them or something?

3. Do I need to pay attention to technology at all?

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

1. I have no retinues and I want to create one. When I mouse over the button to create a retinue, the game says I am already at the cap. What's the deal?
It means you don't have enough realm size/technology to support the retinue you're trying to create.

quote:

2. My son and heir, who is also my vassal, recently attained majority and I want to marry him off to someone. When I go to his character and try to arrange either a marriage or a betrothal, it only gives me the option of trying to arrange a marriage between someone in my court and someone in his. If your child is your vassal, can you not arrange a marriage for them or something?
No, you can only arrange marriages for people in your court.

quote:

It can be beneficial, yes. Legalism and the last military technology (whose name I can't recall at the moment) are both far more useful than anything else in their track. Economic, you can focus development on fortifications and castle infrastructure to develop your castles above what the rest of the world can do.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Cheshire Cat posted:

That's... that's pretty much it. They make the game a lot easier. They're especially a boon to new players. Plus it's nice just to have control over unit types in your army, so you can create specialized flanks made entirely of cavalry or heavy infantry so that your generals will get the most out of their tactics. It's also nice not to have 3,000 light infantry in a stack doing nothing but making you think your army is a lot stronger than it really is. Retinues give you a hell of a lot more value for their numbers because you only get the GOOD unit types.

That's said, its really stupid that the AI wont use then (I dont think Ive ever saw it).

It would be better if wanst like an easy button, as it is now. I like then, they are ery useful, so i use then. But it feels kinda like cheating.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

That's said, its really stupid that the AI wont use then (I dont think Ive ever saw it).

It would be better if wanst like an easy button, as it is now. I like then, they are ery useful, so i use then. But it feels kinda like cheating.
Oh, the AI definitely uses retinues. I just don't think they're as smart about it as a human is.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Oh godammit. I had a plot to kill a would-be adventurer at 1500%. I don't even get an attempt for two years, then within few months the plot gets exposed 3 times in a row. :shepicide:

At this point I realize I can just excommunicate and imprison the guy without backslash. So I do that but forget to cancel the plot and get exposed again. So now I have -40 and -80 dishonorable depending who you ask. And I now have to create an elective empire, which involves destroying duchies/kingdoms or dealing with the penalty from elector titles.

I think the rest of this king's reign will be somewhat internal politics focused.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 2, 2014

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, the AI definitely uses retinues. I just don't think they're as smart about it as a human is.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I speedbumped over a few 500 or 1000-men AI retinues with my 30,000 pikemen at some point. The AI uses them, just not well.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bold Robot posted:

Few more noob questions:

1) You probably won't have enough cap available for retinues until you've at least got a few duchies under your control. All retinues are 500 soldiers but only archers and light infantry are 1 cap per soldier - all the other types are 2 per soldier (or 4 for heavy cav). So you need a minimum of 500 cap before you can create anything at all, and most likely you'll want 800+ to make the units you want (depending on your culture - the English and Welsh get an awesome 500 archer unit which is incredibly powerful for its cost).

2) Yes. You can only pick spouses freely for people in your own court. Vassals don't count as being in your court; they're autonomous for the purposes of marriage. They can even refuse to marry someone you've chosen, although just being their liege makes them more likely to take a match so in practice they rarely do. They will also just marry someone on their own if you leave them alone long enough, although if you're trying to breed a dynasty of superhumans this is less than ideal most of the time.

3) Not really. The main thing to know about technology is that every province has its own level of tech development, but for about 90% of the techs, only the tech level in your capital matters. Pretty much all you need to do related to technology is plant your spymaster somewhere advanced (Constantinople is usually a good bet) to steal technology and you'll randomly get +50 tech points in one of the three categories every so often. You can just spend them on what you want when you build up enough. If you build up enough within a category the game will give you a notification to remind you to spend them too, so don't worry about losing track. Some techs are also just flat out useless depending on your culture/religion too, so don't feel bad if your trade tech is lagging way behind, because if you aren't a Trade Republic it literally does nothing for you.

One key thing to note - if you move your capital, you do NOT take your tech progress with you. So if you aren't planning to stick with your starting capital county, don't spend your tech points until you've moved.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 2, 2014

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Strudel Man posted:

Well ok, I feel less guilty for mine now.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Mainly: humans will rush the Military Organization tech for bigger/more retinues faster (if you've got good enough spies/councillors/etc. the ahead penalties are worth eating), and humans will focus-build cultural retinues for large masses of bonused horse archers/heavy cav/heavy inf. If the AI did this too retinues would feel less like cheating, I think.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dallan Invictus posted:

Mainly: humans will rush the Military Organization tech for bigger/more retinues faster (if you've got good enough spies/councillors/etc. the ahead penalties are worth eating), and humans will focus-build cultural retinues for large masses of bonused horse archers/heavy cav/heavy inf. If the AI did this too retinues would feel less like cheating, I think.

Yeah, investing everything on military organization to have nice retinue early game is very effective. And a nice retinue early gamer as a pagan is just too effective.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Dallan Invictus posted:

Exactly. The AI doesn't prioritize getting retinues, so the human player will always be at an advantage (so long as they do rush retinues). The problem I can see with the AI also prioritizing retinues is that retinues then stop being a neat thing you can do, and start being a thing you must do or you're hosed.

Theoretically, going for retinue tech should mean that your levies aren't as competitive against a realm with the same number of tech points invested into special troop tech, but retinues are just so good that it doesn't matter.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

I figured that was possible but I was kind of trying to avoid that as my brother that got Ireland is a terrifying god king. Bro has insane attributes and I was kind of hoping his wife, and concubines if he takes any, would poo poo out offspring just as good as him for the dynasty. The problem kind of solved itself though as he was an ambitious dickwad that everybody hated. Ireland split into...uh...six rebellions, I think...within the space of like three months. Island caught fire and I cleaned up the mess.

Bro died in battle. Oh well!

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Started off as the Patrician of Amalfi at the Old Gods start, left that place when I usurped the duchy of Croatia. Became the Serene Merchant Republic of Croatia, then the Emperor of Carpathia (as a merchant republic still), then Jewish, then conquered North Africa, then formed Israel, formed the Wendish Empire (made it my primary), took a bunch of european kingdoms just because. In year 1084, I decided to finally step down as Doge. But before I eventually kick it, I released the Empire of Carpathia and a bunch of other kingdoms my family holds. I figured they'd all rebel for independence anyway. So now I wait to die to see what chaos arises.

West Francia is still around somehow, Bavaria was part of my empire but rebelled away and never bothered to get them back, Burgundy is a two-province kingdom somewhere. Italy became Orthodox due to an adventurer long ago. Now they are a heretic sect and spent a century kicking the Byzantine Empire out of the area.

I still have almost 400 years left of play left for the achievement.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm just buying more horse archer retinues in my Zoroastrian game whenever I can. Horse archers are awesome.

Meanwhile, I'm having a bit of a problem. In my main shahdom and my second-largest, people have decided to ignore my nomination of my super-daughter and instead have voted for my half-brother, her uncle and betrothed. Other two shahdoms, though, are following my lead, but since my main shahdom isn't voting for her she's not my heir that I'll play as and also it's gonna split my realm.

My character's presently only 32, and other than a bout of pneumonia after giving birth to her son she's really healthy, so I have time to fix this. Just wondering if there's anything I can do directly; my vassals love me but they aren't changing their votes, possibly because my half-brother is also a diplomatic monster. Obviously I don't want to kill him, and I am just a little worried that something awful will happen to my current character before my daughter matures and wins over the people.

Edit: Also the Shia are rising or whatever. Funnily enough, despite my character hating their leader he likes her a lot, between her ridiculous diplomacy and them both being scholars. Perhaps an alliance can be worked out with them in the future, seeing as we both really dislike the Sunni that happen to be between us. I think they're over in Egypt, too, so until I've finished forming Persia (and possibly taken over India as well since it's cut off from everyone else by me) I have no reason to fight them.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 2, 2014

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
The only problem with horse archers is that I'm pretty sure the cavalry leader trait doesn't apply to them.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I'm just buying more horse archer retinues in my Zoroastrian game whenever I can. Horse archers are awesome.

Meanwhile, I'm having a bit of a problem. In my main shahdom and my second-largest, people have decided to ignore my nomination of my super-daughter and instead have voted for my half-brother, her uncle and betrothed. Other two shahdoms, though, are following my lead, but since my main shahdom isn't voting for her she's not my heir that I'll play as and also it's gonna split my realm.

My character's presently only 32, and other than a bout of pneumonia after giving birth to her son she's really healthy, so I have time to fix this. Just wondering if there's anything I can do directly; my vassals love me but they aren't changing their votes, possibly because my half-brother is also a diplomatic monster. Obviously I don't want to kill him, and I am just a little worried that something awful will happen to my current character before my daughter matures and wins over the people.

Destroy all elector titles except your own as soon as you can.

Actually, is there a good reason to let duchies exist even if you aren't elective?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

BioMe posted:

Actually, is there a good reason to let duchies exist even if you aren't elective?

There's an argument to be made about armies spawning at the duchy capital, rather than each individual duchy, at least, but I'm not sure about other reasons.

• Locked thread