Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mitt Romney posted:

What would require Obama to be impeached assuming the GOP takes the Senate for 2015 and assuming they kill the remainder of the fillibuster?

He can be impeached in the House at any time, but conviction in the Senate requires 67 votes. If the GOP wins every single Senate election this fall, they'd still only have 66 votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

SedanChair posted:

tbp has officially Noticed that right-wing messaging is disingenuous. Be astonished at his incisive observations.

I know a lot of psychological effects that others might not - was just trying to help that poster out, or anyone that didn't know about the Dunning Kruger effect.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Mitt Romney posted:

What would require Obama to be impeached assuming the GOP takes the Senate for 2015 and assuming they kill the remainder of the fillibuster?

Two-thirds, 67 votes. Even if they win both houses they will not get that many. No Democrats would vote to convict and like Joe said, even if Republicans won EVERY Senate seat up for reelection (they won't), they'd still be one vote short.

And the GOP KNOWS this. They aren't unaware that any attempt to remove Obama from office will fail. They're just throwing red meat to their base.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 2, 2014

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I imagine there'd be a GOP senator or two that would say "You fuckers are idiots" and vote no as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trying to impeach Obama over Benghazi would be even more ridiculous than trying to impeach Clinton for the Lewinsky thing.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

I imagine there'd be a GOP senator or two that would say "You fuckers are idiots" and vote no as well.

I think Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins would probably cross party lines. Murkowski owes the AK GOP nothing after they sandbagged her in 2008, and Collins wants to keep her job--and that means winning Democratic votes in Maine.

I also have to think that a few people will notice that the GOP announced their new Fruitcakes Anonymous Conga Line on the same day that the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed the unemployment rate dropping to 6.3%.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Related, but my conservative claims that the average serviceman hates Obama. Are there any statistics on that?

E: related to the Oathkeeper chat on the last page, forgot to refresh :/

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 2, 2014

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

zoux posted:

Trying to impeach Obama over Benghazi would be even more ridiculous than trying to impeach Clinton for the Lewinsky thing.

Was there an actual attempt to impeach Bush or has this become a great galvanizing tactic for the right?

Triskelli posted:

Related, but my conservative claims that the average serviceman hates Obama. Are there any statistics on that?

Your conservative? Do you have a pet? From purely anecdotal experience (I was enlisted for four years) it runs the gamut. The older entrenched enlisted tend to be heavily conservative, the younger enlisted tend to be fairly moderate with some liberals and libertarians among them, and the officers are mostly evangelicals. You have to remember that respecting the leadership chain is one of the biggest points of emphasis in the military and the president is the top of that chain. If the President doesn't deserve your loyalty and service then all the power of the officers and NCOs is lost since its derived from the President's power. So, most service members will shut the hell up about heavily criticizing the president because its a dangerous game to play.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 2, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Was there an actual attempt to impeach Bush or has this become a great galvanizing tactic for the right?

No. Nancy Pelosi pretty much put the kibosh on any impeachment proceedings when she took the Speaker's gavel in 2006.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Triskelli posted:

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/Obama-Gallup-military-approval/2011/05/31/id/398327/ posted:

Although 48 percent of what Gallup called “nonveterans” give Obama a thumbs-up on his overall performance, that figure falls to 37 percent among military types. In both groups, the younger one is, the more likely they are to approve of Obama.

The biggest difference is in the youngest age group. Military voters ages 18-29 give Obama a 44 percent approval rating, a full 14 points below the rating for non-veterans. Even so, that figure is higher than in any other age group of servicemen or veterans.

The lowest figures are both in the 70-79 age group, where 42 percent of nonveterans and 33 percent of the military and veterans support him.

I'd say it's probably true-ish.

[edit] Is newsmax a right wing site? It was just the first article with the Gallup polling results that I saw.

[edit 2] Here's the Gallup poll itself: http://www.gallup.com/poll/147839/military-personnel-veterans-give-obama-lower-marks.aspx

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alter Ego posted:

Two-thirds, 67 votes. Even if they win both houses they will not get that many. No Democrats would vote to convict and like Joe said, even if Republicans won EVERY Senate seat up for reelection (they won't), they'd still be one vote short.

And the GOP KNOWS this. They aren't unaware that any attempt to remove Obama from office will fail. They're just throwing red meat to their base.

I think this brings us back yet again to the problem of how many in the party are high on their own supply. Sure, I've no problem presuming the party elder types are just playing this as cynical career politicians do, but are they still powerful enough to control the nuts? It's been clear for a while that the tea partiers have slipped their leash, but not whether the rest of the party could grab it back without getting their hand bit off.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Alter Ego posted:

The timeline I see is that that start an investigation after the midterms that lasts right up until before the conventions in 2016. Then they launch an impeachment attempt that fails while still sandbagging Hilary somewhat while firing up their base. This allows Jeb to win the presidency at which point I kill myself rather than relive 2001-2007. :shepicide:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DemeaninDemon posted:

I think John McCain would fall into that category at this point too.

Taerkar posted:

:munch:

I wonder if I can sue the GOP when their Benghazi theatrics give me diabetes alcohol poisoning.
FTFY. Just in case anyone was wondering what Ann Romney is up to, she will be giving the commencement speech at Southern Utah University. Apparently one of the grandkids goes there. Hopefully there will be a transcript up somewhere after the fact.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Triskelli posted:

Donation figures from the 2012 campaign. Obama outraised Romney in donations from the Army, Navy, Coast Guard, retirees, and civilian DoD. Romney outraised Obama in donations from the Marines, Air Force, and National Guard.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

Right, even McCain admits that Obama isn't a Muslim, he's a good person

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

SubponticatePoster posted:

He was one I thought of as well, if for no other reason than to give the finger to Ted Cruz's inevitable grandstanding once it moved to the Senate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's pretty funny how they HAVE to continue to beat the Benghazi drum even though it's clearly an electoral dud.

BUSH 2112 posted:

[edit] Is newsmax a right wing site? It was just the first article with the Gallup polling results that I saw.

Newsmax is way down the rabbit hole of the batshit right wing media world.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 2, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BUSH 2112 posted:

I'd say it's probably true-ish.

[edit 2] Here's the Gallup poll itself: http://www.gallup.com/poll/147839/military-personnel-veterans-give-obama-lower-marks.aspx

Newsmax is right wing, pants on head crazy subtype. They are right there with WND and Alex Jones

Alter Ego posted:

Yeah, but if it goes that far I expect the base will go off the rails again like they did in 2009, dragging the elected officials with them. Remember Conservapedia posting a list of democratic senators who, if assassinated, would have replacements appointed by Republican governors? And for as much as that was tut-tut-ed by the news and politicians, right before the final ACA vote republicans held a prayer service in the rotunda praying god would strike a democrat dead so the vote would fail.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tharizdun posted:

Right, even McCain admits that Obama isn't a Muslim, he's a good person

Lets not start sucking his dick just yet.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

A Winner is Jew posted:

Lets not start sucking his dick just yet.

He was parroting McCain's own response in 2008 to some woman claiming Obama was an Arab, which went something like "No, no, he's not. He's a good person"

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Joementum posted:

Donation figures from the 2012 campaign. Obama outraised Romney in donations from the Army, Navy, Coast Guard, retirees, and civilian DoD. Romney outraised Obama in donations from the Marines, Air Force, and National Guard.

Interesting. I would've guessed the Navy and Marines would've been switched but the Air Force doesn't surprise me at all. It's a very different demographic than the Army mostly because they have stricter standards that in effect favor people from slightly higher class backgrounds so its more lower middle class-middle class while the Army is more lower class-lower middle class. Plus the Air Force has a higher officer to enlisted ratio and they're almost exclusively middle class-upper middle class types from strong white evangelical backgrounds.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Fried Chicken posted:

Newsmax is right wing, pants on head crazy subtype. They are right there with WND and Alex Jones

I watch Fox News and listen to right-wing radio to catch my dose of conservative radiation, but I never go on right-wing media sites. That's just heartburn in pixel-form.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Interesting. I would've guessed the Navy and Marines would've been switched but the Air Force doesn't surprise me at all. It's a very different demographic than the Army mostly because they have stricter standards that in effect favor people from slightly higher class backgrounds so its more lower middle class-middle class while the Army is more lower class-lower middle class. Plus the Air Force has a higher officer to enlisted ratio and they're almost exclusively middle class-upper middle class types from strong white evangelical backgrounds.

Supposedly the academy is effectively an evangelical recruitment site too.

(I suspect it's one reason my cousin became a Navy pilot)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Awww c'mon there are plenty of worse scumbags:

"Lindsay Graham posted:

"Our Democratic friends, for the most part, have been in the tank over Benghazi. Some guy said this about me yesterday on the left: The only reason I cared about this was because I have six tea party opponents. Well, if that's true, I'm the biggest scumbag in America."

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

computer parts posted:

Supposedly the academy is effectively an evangelical recruitment site too.

(I suspect it's one reason my cousin became a Navy pilot)

(it is)

This isn't based on any sort of data since the Academy strictly controls that information but not a single Academy officer that I encountered evangelical or otherwise would deny the heavy, heavy emphasis the culture placed on evangelical events and preferred causes. Most non evangelical Academy grads incessantly bitched about it.

Speaking of military data, one of my favorite discoveries while I was still in had to do with the mountains of data the military collects. They, especially the Air Force, are obsessed with data. They've got amazing demographic information about service members, health care outcomes, graduation rates through various tech schools, STD rates by base and unit. I mean you name it, they've got it. It's impressive and I wish I could get access to more of it.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Someone who spoke with Vilerat that day should touch the poop and contact Issa.

Someone should do this. It wouldn't just be touching the poop - it would be touching the poop.

Also, what exactly is the Benghazi scandal supposed to be? I still have no clue, because the talking point seems to have been watered down into just saying the words Benghazi?

Also, when did moderate Republicans start using it? I reemmber when Mittens had that first press conference the day after the attack, about half the party criticised him for it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ChaosSamusX posted:

Also, what exactly is the Benghazi scandal supposed to be? I still have no clue, because the talking point seems to have been watered down into just saying the words Benghazi?

Also, when did moderate Republicans start using it? I reemmber when Mittens had that first press conference the day after the attack, about half the party criticised him for it.
The idea is that Obama permitted the embassy attack to occur and therefore FINALLY we have a lever to overthrow the Kenyan Marxist usurper. FINALLY! THANK GOD!!

Also, there are moderate Republicans? You must not be speaking of anyone currently in the legislature.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ChaosSamusX posted:

Pee pee doo doo he is a bad President. Also during the attack he didn't instantaneously teleport a helicopter full of SEALs across the Mediterranean and start shooting the place up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Actually I think the current one is that they told an official to reiterate in a press conference that they believed the consulate attack was part of a general uprising in the region because of an anti-Muslim video released on YouTube, rather than a targeted terror attack. They told her to say that because that's what they thought at the time!!!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Oh no, somebody didn't know what was happening half a world away 20 minutes after the fact! CONSPIRACY! Ask these guys if they know what's going on in their offices right at this very moment and I bet they can't answer.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

ChaosSamusX posted:

Someone should do this. It wouldn't just be touching the poop - it would be touching the poop.

The centerpiece is that they are implying that Obama lied about it not being a terror attack to try and make his election go smoother. This ignores quite a bit of evidence including Obama calling it an act of terror the day or two after.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Why didn't he call it an act of terror the second it happened?! OBAMA!!!! :argh:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Wow, this article on how white privilege is Totally Not A Thing because a Princeton student and descendant of a holocaust survivor said so. :shepicide:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Mitt Romney posted:

The centerpiece is that they are implying that Obama lied about it not being a terror attack to try and make his election go smoother. This ignores quite a bit of evidence including Obama calling it an act of terror the day or two after.

Didn't they learn their lesson a loving year and a half ago when Romney was like "you didn't call it a terror attack" and Obama was like "yeah I did" and the debate moderator was like "yeah he did?"

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

What a pretentious wank. "I'm going write a bunch of words to show that I willfully ignore what 'privilege' actually means."

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The military is interesting as far as politics go and here's the thing, the different branches have their own cultures. As far as these things go, if there is an evangelical branch it's probably the Air Force. In my experience (Navy) the military trends conservative in the upper reaches of both Officer and Enlisted. However, the younger individuals. Among Officers the non-academeny grads (ROTC/OCS) tend to be more liberal than their academy counter-parts.

Boon fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 3, 2014

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plenty of Rwandan genocide descendants going to Princeton these days

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Koyaanisgoatse posted:

What a pretentious wank. "I'm going write a bunch of words to show that I willfully ignore what 'privilege' actually means."

I mean Jesus tapdancing Christ, it'd be nice if this brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion freshman at Princeton had thought about how it sounds to everyone else when he talks about what his grandparents experienced as if it were a sign of the strength of his own character or a testament to the fact that he knows what it's like to have lived a difficult life.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 2, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
That dude just needs to be locked in a room with Norman Finkelstein for 45 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The facebook comments from veterans who are like "I worked for everything I have" :psyduck:

• Locked thread