Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lum posted:

Team lead = person too dumb to realise they're doing the manager's grunt work for them, in addition to their regular work, for no extra pay.

I once tried to get my company to give me team lead for a pay raise and title change, mostly for the resume fodder. They said no and came back later asking for me to take the responsibility with no raise or title. This was also after they burned me on a promotion. Saying no to them was a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary
Multiple panicked tickets came in ...

A tech from South America has been having some problems with getting our VPN tokens to work with his users. No idea what this guy is doing, but our usual fixes always work and it's only him having this problem. Every email we get from him (and other South American techs) is always panicked, full of "?!?!?!" and "!!!!!!" with some bold thrown in for good measure, and the user is always leaving for a trip to Jupiter in the next 15 seconds so we need to do -process that they know has a two day turnaround- right now. He even copied the head of IT for his country's branch of our company in one email where he essentially had a complete meltdown about VPN (spoilers, the basic fixes I noted earlier resolved everything). I'd post the meltdown here, but it's honestly less funny and more ":stare: ...". Not to mention I don't remember the day of said meltdown :sweatdrop:

Still, we only get these freak-outs and "THE USER IS LEAVING TOMORROW/IN 4 HOURS/IN 40 MINUTES" and "?!?!?!?!?!?" emails from South American techs in our company, which really strikes me as kind of weird. I mean, the world is a big place, why the hell is it only the techs from that particular region, y'know? Is anyone else doing global support who deals with techs from these countries? Do you guys get "EXPEDITE, THE WORLD IS ON FIRE!?!??!?!" emails and tickets from them too? :psyduck:

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

totalnewbie posted:

Our IT department :allears:

Shouldn't it automatically be pushed out through WSUS? I read they were making an exception and forcing it out before patch day.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Shouldn't it automatically be pushed out through WSUS? I read they were making an exception and forcing it out before patch day.

Hah no, they sent instructions on how to turn off all automatic updates a few months ago because IE11 or whatever it is now is breaking some application.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Combing through old tickets and I found one of our gems.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This one's pretty recent:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Exit Strategy posted:

Combing through old tickets and I found one of our gems.

Solution: Things are fine, thanks for asking. *closed*

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
... a ticket I just closed out...

ticket posted:

User wanted to know if online boyfriend was a scam
I wish I could post a screenshot, but that's frowned upon on these army systems... can't make this stuff up

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
Got a critical ticket at 12:30 today about a user not being able to connect to Lync and Outlook and not able to access the Internet. No other details in the ticket, and it was created from a voicemail left on the call center voicemail. The primary DHCP server was down yesterday morning and anyone who didn't leave their machine on overnight couldn't connect for about 4 hours, and when they finally got a backup patched in there were a lot of duplicate IP issues, so I'm thinking that I have a straggler with that problem.

So I listen to the voicemail file attached to the ticket. I'm wrong, it was left on the call center voicemail box yesterday morning at 8am, and noone made a ticket for it for 28 hours.

Called the user back, made sure she's working OK, apologized profusely, and passed the ticket number to my manager to follow up with the call center.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

totalnewbie posted:

Hah no, they sent instructions on how to turn off all automatic updates a few months ago because IE11 or whatever it is now is breaking some application.

Why didn't they just exclude it from the update list? :catstare:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Why didn't they just exclude it from the update list? :catstare:

If I read him right, they don't have WSUS at all. Their machines are directly connecting to Windows Update.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
That's what I got out of it as well. Still, it would have been a hell of a lot smarter to instruct them to right click and hide update instead of disabling updates entirely.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Or just have a freaking WSUS server. That poo poo is cake to setup.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Speaking of, I noticed a few days ago that on my work PC Windows Update tells me that "updates are managed by your System Administrator", but right below that I can click a button to check for updates online anyway, which first time I picked it gave me like 50 critical updates. What's the deal, why would that configuration be an option?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

jammyozzy posted:

Speaking of, I noticed a few days ago that on my work PC Windows Update tells me that "updates are managed by your System Administrator", but right below that I can click a button to check for updates online anyway, which first time I picked it gave me like 50 critical updates. What's the deal, why would that configuration be an option?

That's how we do it here - it's so if I'm setting up a PC and have a bunch of updates I haven't approved via WSUS yet, I can just run Windows Update and get them straight from MS.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jammyozzy posted:

That only works if you are a local admin or domain admin. The updates are managed by your local admin mean that windows update is being handled by group policy I believe. Not seeing any updates available when there are just means that they aren't approved in WSUS. Generally either someone will manually approve poo poo on a scheduled basis or at least delay auto approvals for a certain amount of time.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

That makes sense, everyone is local admin here...

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Sickening posted:

That only works if you are a local admin or domain admin.

Haha I never even thought to try plugging my credentials into a UAC prompt to test this. I'll have to give it a go after the bank holiday.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
"My wireless is slow."

Well, yeah, because you have a 1/.5 DSL plan.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

GreenNight posted:

Or just have a freaking WSUS server. That poo poo is cake to setup.

This is the same IT department that, when we mentioned that the share drive was taking 20-40s to open a small PDF, said that we have to reduce the number of files that we keep on the share drive and that there's too many duplicate files. Our files are predominantly Excel, PDF, powerpoint, and word documents.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

"My wireless is slow."

Well, yeah, because you have a 1/.5 DSL plan.
We had multiple clients with 30-50 users on the same regional-cable-provider's cheapest possible business connection (I think 5/1 maybe) at one point. One of them still doesn't have anything faster. I'm baffled.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sonic Dude posted:

We had multiple clients with 30-50 users on the same regional-cable-provider's cheapest possible business connection (I think 5/1 maybe) at one point. One of them still doesn't have anything faster. I'm baffled.

The apartment this is in is worth 8 digits, easy.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

The apartment this is in is worth 8 digits, easy.
"I'm so sorry to hear your connection is slow. I tell you what - my connection at home is fantastic. You can live move in there, and I'll just live here since it would be sitting empty otherwise."

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Sonic Dude posted:

"I'm so sorry to hear your connection is slow. I tell you what - my connection at home is fantastic. You can live move in there, and I'll just live here since it would be sitting empty otherwise."

I was told by someone higher up on the chain to take one of our teachers back to my house because they were having internet connectivity problems and they wanted to rule out if it was a problem at the campus or not. Despite how ridiculous that sounded, everyone thought it was a great idea until I told them I live 45 minutes away.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud
A ticket came in...

Wait, no, four hundred tickets came in. At the same time. :smithicide:

Apparently e-mails to support weren't being routed properly to our ticketing system over the last few days, so they were all caught in limbo. Someone fixed it, and the queue went from four to four hundred and something in twenty minutes.

Welp.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Helushune posted:

I was told by someone higher up on the chain to take one of our teachers back to my house because they were having internet connectivity problems and they wanted to rule out if it was a problem at the campus or not. Despite how ridiculous that sounded, everyone thought it was a great idea until I told them I live 45 minutes away.

I have done this kind of ruling-out with senior staff here before, but I take them to Starbucks or something. No way would I take someone from work back to my house, jesus.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

justlysarcastic posted:

Multiple panicked tickets came in ...

A tech from South America has been having some problems with getting our VPN tokens to work with his users. No idea what this guy is doing, but our usual fixes always work and it's only him having this problem. Every email we get from him (and other South American techs) is always panicked, full of "?!?!?!" and "!!!!!!" with some bold thrown in for good measure, and the user is always leaving for a trip to Jupiter in the next 15 seconds so we need to do -process that they know has a two day turnaround- right now. He even copied the head of IT for his country's branch of our company in one email where he essentially had a complete meltdown about VPN (spoilers, the basic fixes I noted earlier resolved everything). I'd post the meltdown here, but it's honestly less funny and more ":stare: ...". Not to mention I don't remember the day of said meltdown :sweatdrop:

Still, we only get these freak-outs and "THE USER IS LEAVING TOMORROW/IN 4 HOURS/IN 40 MINUTES" and "?!?!?!?!?!?" emails from South American techs in our company, which really strikes me as kind of weird. I mean, the world is a big place, why the hell is it only the techs from that particular region, y'know? Is anyone else doing global support who deals with techs from these countries? Do you guys get "EXPEDITE, THE WORLD IS ON FIRE!?!??!?!" emails and tickets from them too? :psyduck:

One of our clients major offices is in Buenos Aires. If anything, our problem with them is that they gently caress around with everything and don't really call us unless it's ACTUALLY a major emergency, like they managed to bring down their entire wireless network by misplugging a cable and want us to fix it. Note that these are not IT people, just the people at that office who like to think they know everything and can do everything themselves (the worst kind of software developer, "because I can program machines I can do IT"). So I almost wish we'd get more communication from them, not less.

Anyway, don't know if that helps in generalizing an entire continent's method of reporting issues, but my experience is that Argentinians don't say poo poo until they've hosed it up so badly they need help. (That was completely facetious, since I don't think our client's employees are necessarily representative of all Argentinians, more representative of a lot of software developers).

Also, I won against that same client this week - their CEO is a horrible micromanaging pennypincher, at least when it comes to IT (ask me about the TWO marketing contests they've held where the grand prize was a Tesla Model S, I poo poo you not, and yet we propose $20k for a new VM server to replace their old shitbox from 2006 and get stonewalled for 3 years). Oh and how could we forget that the CEO himself likes to spend his time on Ebay buying lovely old Lifesizes without support contracts, and sits in on almost every interview. This is a 450 person company, mind you.

So their current audio system for their big meeting space (where they hold monthly all-hands meetings) cost a grand total of $500, which as anyone who's dabbled in pro audio can tell you, won't buy you poo poo. (Alesis mixer, Nady wireless mics - basically the Belkin and Emachines of pro audio. I didn't even know Nady made wireless mics, and they're just as lovely as I would expect).

At any rate the CEO finally got mad enough about the system's quality to agree that it should be upgraded, and I started proposing real gear, which ain't cheap. However, this CEO ALSO doesn't like seeing any technology. Meaning, everything related to IT should be invisible (did I mention this is a cloud software company? Yeah, everything is cloud cloud cloud, which also didn't help when we were proposing that local VM host for local infrastructure like, oh I don't know, domain controllers). So, even though the first proposal, which was my desired system, was $5k more than the cheapest that we came up with, it had the advantage of being able to be mostly hidden in a closet somewhere, whereas the other stuff would have had to be in the room. (This is not COMPLETELY true, but the guy I was working with at that client, who saved me from having to deal with the CEO directly, told the CEO that and I wasn't about to correct him). So the CEO's desire to never see any boxes won out over his desire never to spend any money on IT. Played. :smug:

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Malkar posted:

A ticket came in...

Wait, no, four hundred tickets came in. At the same time. :smithicide:

Apparently e-mails to support weren't being routed properly to our ticketing system over the last few days, so they were all caught in limbo. Someone fixed it, and the queue went from four to four hundred and something in twenty minutes.

Welp.

Do you guys have a thing like in the army where you can shoot yourself in the foot and get sent home?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Apparently a <1 second power blink here 4 hours ago has brought whatever network the local supermarket has for its register/scanners to its knees. Some poor tech is either frantically trying to fix it or blissfully unaware of the shitstorm he's in for in the morning.

Javid fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 4, 2014

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
A ticket came in

And I didn't even know. I'm the secondary on-call. I asked the primary if there were any ticket since I was near work anyway because my girlfriend lives near work. His dumb rear end was telling me to check the queue for him.

Turns out there was a ticket I could have done something about and neither of us realized it until 5 hours later.

When I'm the primary, the work phone is never out of my sight. I selected a ringtone to be as loud as possible.

On a positive note: I got another kudos email :v:. Second one in a month.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Deuce posted:

Do you guys have a thing like in the army where you can shoot yourself in the foot and get sent home?
I'm pretty sure that will work in any office. The only difference is the army might let you back in the building when you're healed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Knormal posted:

I'm pretty sure that will work in any office. The only difference is the army might let you back in the building when you're healed.

What are you, insane? There will be plenty of time to go to the hospital once you fix the internet and get the ticket queue down to zero.

Even though the ticket queue hasn't been at 0 for years.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

And that is how you win in this business.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

After months of asking, I've finally been given approval to order some replacement desktops for the 9 or so machines left in my organization that are still running Windows XP (and were too ancient to upgrade).

Feels good man. :unsmith:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So 5 new collage students started today.

That in itself is not too exciting, though three of the students from last years batch have "left the company" with a fourth on personal leave for an unknown amount of time. Between them they were sitting on almost 150 tickets which have been redistributed.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Transferred over the branch data to DFS over the weekend. Or at least I started to, since there's people out there with 10GB+ pst files sitting on shared drives. We have some locations running 1/1 ADSL so that poo poo's going to take forever.
They gonna be MAD when I put a file exclusion filter on DFS. I'm looking forward to it.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A ticket didn't come in...

My boss has enforced a strict "no ticket, no service" rule which has been great for making sure we at least get something from a user when an issue arises. If they're locked out or their thin client has some kind of issue, then they'll call or come by, and we'll ask them to submit a ticket after the fact. Boss doesn't want us opening tickets on behalf of users - it'll make them complacent and reliant upon us to do what they should be doing (hell yes).

As of late, people don't open tickets after the fact. I draft a friendly reminder email, boss approves it, I send it out.

Two minutes later, I get an email directly from a sales rep. Subject: %repname% needs a password reset.

Directly... and not to the helpdesk email which was specified.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
This gem just landed in our queue about a minute ago.

Fuckhead executive posted:

Somehow (not exactly sure how), my MacBook Pro got smashed. And the mousepad is messed up and the case is buckled. It turns on, but its unusable because of the mousepad. I'm hoping that it has insurance to get fixed? What are the next steps?

SOMEHOW my laptop got smashed and now looks like a taco! I have NO IDEA how it got that way! I just looked away for a moment and suddenly it was like that! I didn't do anything! Golly!

:fuckoff:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The Cubelodyte posted:

This gem just landed in our queue about a minute ago.

SOMEHOW my laptop got smashed and now looks like a taco! I have NO IDEA how it got that way! I just looked away for a moment and suddenly it was like that! I didn't do anything! Golly!

:fuckoff:

Are there tire tracks through the middle?

Please say there are tire tracks through the middle.

Or a footprint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Potato Alley posted:

Anyway, don't know if that helps in generalizing an entire continent's method of reporting issues, but my experience is that Argentinians don't say poo poo until they've hosed it up so badly they need help. (That was completely facetious, since I don't think our client's employees are necessarily representative of all Argentinians, more representative of a lot of software developers).

The stereotype/racist joke in Latin American countries is that Argentinians could easily commit suicide by climbing to the top of their ego and jumping down.

• Locked thread