Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Is it worth it to level up Faith after I've got 40 Str/Dex to boost the lightning damage on Heide weapons? Speaking of those, is it worth it to infuse them as well so they do even more lightning damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

This actually gets me quite interested. I've heard some say it is best on the PC. Do most of you use the keyboard and mouse? If it works well with the keyboard and mouse I'll pick it up.

This is a controller game through and through. If you hate yourself you can certainly use m/k but it isn't recommended.

Asehujiko posted:

Is it worth it to level up Faith after I've got 40 Str/Dex to boost the lightning damage on Heide weapons? Speaking of those, is it worth it to infuse them as well so they do even more lightning damage?

Faith does way more for Heide weapons than dex, and yeah if you go heavy on faith infuse them with lightning.

edit: tbh I'd go heavy on faith and just ignore the other two for a Heide weapon, there are way better strength/dexterity weapons out there.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 2, 2014

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Sydin posted:

You also get one if you beat a Ratbro, too.

Pfft. Actually beating a ratbro. Probably much easier to be a ratbro than beat one.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Has anyone summoned Lucatiel for Rotten, and if so, how does she do with it?

I kinda want to finish her storyline this playthrough, and only need her for one more boss, but every time I try to bring her to Smelter Demon, she does nothing to avoid getting hit, it jacks his HP way up, and sometimes she'll not even enter the fog due to the terrible NPC pathing in this game.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

This actually gets me quite interested. I've heard some say it is best on the PC. Do most of you use the keyboard and mouse? If it works well with the keyboard and mouse I'll pick it up.
The keyboard & mouse controls work, but will require some fiddling with the settings to get them setup comfortably and an auto-hotkey script to fix the double-click issue that people who button mash have.

Really it just boils down to what you're more comfortable with. You like to use a controler? Use that. You prefer kbam? Use that instead.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 2, 2014

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Mazed posted:

I kinda want to finish her storyline this playthrough, and only need her for one more boss, but every time I try to bring her to Smelter Demon, she does nothing to avoid getting hit, it jacks his HP way up, and sometimes she'll not even enter the fog due to the terrible NPC pathing in this game.

Phantoms love to stand in the fire and die.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Blind Rasputin posted:

No it works terrible with keyboard and mouse, ignore those that say it works well. You always want a controller for 3rd person action games. Have you ever played devil may cry or gears of war or bayonetta or anything like that before? You just really really loving want a controller, regardless of platform.

It definitely is best on PC though. And yes it plays like an old school videogame, its punishingly difficult, you fight bosses over and over until you beat them, etc.

Its the modern Castlevania.

Mazed posted:

She's okay for Rotten. Way better that they patched her since the console launch. If your options are Smelter or Rotten, definitely Rotten will be easier. Smelter is her worst fight.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mazed posted:

That's funny because Lucatiel and I were alone to defeat the Smelter Demon. She tanked him like a champ everytime I did it.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Blind Rasputin posted:

I haven't played it with KB+M. It feels great on an Xbox 360 controller.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I fell for the oldest trick in the book in the cove. :argh:

e: Oh cool the axe throwing guy's axe is not physically capable of being dodged except through invincibility frames. The hitbox isn't the axe but the entire hallway. This area is dumb.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 2, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Should I turn my pursuer's soul into a sword or a shield? I have enough strength to use either.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cowcaster posted:

Should I turn my pursuer's soul into a sword or a shield? I have enough strength to use either.

Do you like ultragreatswords? Pursuer's is amazing, but it has a slightly different fighting style and its ... well, an ultragreatsword. Not for everybody.

I usually get the sword first and shield second. Shield is really good though, but there's other great shields in the game. Heck Dragonrider shield ain't bad, so I usually get his shield and then pursuer's sword.

Offense is the best defense :black101:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

It's a wash, they're both nothing special. Unless you urgently need an ultra greatsword or a 100% phys resist shield just go with either.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That's funny because Lucatiel and I were alone to defeat the Smelter Demon. She tanked him like a champ everytime I did it.

What sort of offense are you using?

Smelter is proving to be uniquely problematic for my weapons of choice, the dual cesti. :v:

Incidentally, I now have exactly 100,000 souls lying at that guy's feet. :shepface:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Mazed posted:

Smelter is proving to be uniquely problematic for my weapons of choice, the dual cesti. :v:

Incidentally, I now have exactly 100,000 souls lying at that guy's feet. :shepface:
Put on a ring of life protection for your next run, you'll be thanking yourself later.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mazed posted:

When I did Dual Cesti, my build was "summon Lucatiel". She got buffed so if you make sure she doesn't get stuck on the walls she'll generally tank the Smelter Demon like a boss.

Of course, there's no guarantee that the SD's AI won't freak out hilariously and trap her in the doorway with endless jump attacks/AOE blasts.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

Not sure if this is old news or not and DON'T KNOW IF FAKE SORRY.

Does this mean I might start actually using my PS4? :neckbeard:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm the only one in the world to have trouble on the Giant's Memories, I think. Its a pleasure to meet you, rest of the world.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

I'm the only one in the world to have trouble on the Giant's Memories, I think. Its a pleasure to meet you, rest of the world.

I died like 6 times in a row to either the rolling head or the firebombs...

Then I died some more when the giant king looked at me and flattened me with that sword.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Mazed posted:

I had her get stuck entering the fog for my Smelter Demon kill. It still counted for the storyline.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Do the Pharos traps you use when Ratbroing stay forever or do they reset when you reload the level?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Blind Rasputin posted:

Look up the AHK script that removes the 1-2 second delay on mouse button presses and put everybody who calls you bad/dumb for not being a psychic/following a guide while offering 0 actual advice on ignore.

"Well I saw the scorchmarks on this bridge that were identical to the scorchmarks on the last bridge and immediately understood that this time there would be an instakill dragon ahead instead of a zombie harmlessly throwing molotovs against the wall like last time, maybe you should just try to be better at the game.:smug:" - example from last game.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Man, playing a pure glass cannon sorcerer is much more fun in this game than in Dark Souls 1. I've killed my way through The Last Giant, The Pursuer and Dragonrider without ever touching melee. Granted, I did summon Pate for the first one + a tank for The Pursuer, but still. Spell casting is incredibly fun. Really digging hexes too. My faith is only 13 or 14 (compared to 22+ INT) atm, but dark orb is actually outdamaging soul arrow on some enemies.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ulvir posted:

Man, playing a pure glass cannon sorcerer is much more fun in this game than in Dark Souls 1. I've killed my way through The Last Giant, The Pursuer and Dragonrider without ever touching melee. Granted, I did summon Pate for the first one + a tank for The Pursuer, but still. Spell casting is incredibly fun. Really digging hexes too. My faith is only 13 or 14 (compared to 22+ INT) atm, but dark orb is actually outdamaging soul arrow on some enemies.

At 50 faith and 16 int, Great Resonant Soul does about ~600 damage for me versus ~650 from Great Lightning Spear against the drake keepers in one of the final areas. This is off a Lightning Dragon Chime +5, the best lightning chime in the game. Hexes are pretty good.

Asehujiko posted:

Look up the AHK script that removes the 1-2 second delay on mouse button presses and put everybody who calls you bad/dumb for not being a psychic/following a guide while offering 0 actual advice on ignore.

"Well I saw the scorchmarks on this bridge that were identical to the scorchmarks on the last bridge and immediately understood that this time there would be an instakill dragon ahead instead of a zombie harmlessly throwing molotovs against the wall like last time, maybe you should just try to be better at the game.:smug:" - example from last game.

Doesn't that dragon just sit at the other end of the bridge staring you down? That seems like a pretty good indication that maybe that way is dangerous to me.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

Doesn't that dragon just sit at the other end of the bridge staring you down? That seems like a pretty good indication that maybe that way is dangerous to me.
The first time you get there he isn't there yet and does a fly-by with his fire breath the moment you step onto the bridge, which was pretty cheap. On NG1 he doesn't do that much damage, though, so even with my sorcerer I managed to survive the experience on my first playthrough.

TheNightReaver
Sep 7, 2011

Go fart with the angels.
Hey sexies...wanna play?
Rocking 60 int...you just wreck stuff before it even knows you are there. Hopefully casters are still viable in NG+. Cause I will be starting it tonight (after I pick up my rewards from killing Vendrik).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

I fell for the oldest trick in the book in the cove. :argh:

e: Oh cool the axe throwing guy's axe is not physically capable of being dodged except through invincibility frames. The hitbox isn't the axe but the entire hallway. This area is dumb.

Doors of Pharros axe throwing guy? I just stopped midway through the hall and the axes landed pretty far in front of me. Then the guy is conveniently disarmed because he can't pick them back up.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've noticed some weird issues with locking on as a caster. Enemies can shoot you the moment they pop into view, while you have to be 3 steps away from a guy to lock on because there's a little bump in the path or something.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTNUSO7Rn1c :allears:

NihilVerumNisiMors fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 2, 2014

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I've noticed some weird issues with locking on as a caster. Enemies can shoot you the moment they pop into view, while you have to be 3 steps away from a guy to lock on because there's a little bump in the path or something.
You can use the binoculars to snipe as a caster.

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

TheNightReaver posted:

Hey sexies...wanna play?
Rocking 60 int...you just wreck stuff before it even knows you are there. Hopefully casters are still viable in NG+. Cause I will be starting it tonight (after I pick up my rewards from killing Vendrik).

Sorcery is definitely still viable in NG+. It's not as hilariously overpowered as it was on consoles/1.0 (Soul Geyser could two shot nearly every boss) but it's still good (it takes three casts now).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The more I play this game the more I feel that Dark Souls 2 tries way too hard to be the game that general public thought Dark Souls was, a brutal and unfairly punishing meatgrinder, instead of what Dark Souls actually was, challenging but totally fair game where everyone follows the same rules.

Those character creation hags laughing in your face because you're gonna have tons of deaths infront of you.
Kill count tablet thingy in Majula that tells you "look how hard this game is!"
Bosses and enemies designed not to be an interesting challenge for you to overcome but instead designed to be as difficult of a roadblock as possible:
Ogres teleporting you into their mouths.
Insane amount of tracking on active frames of most enemy attacks(That armored boss dude with a flaming sword has bullshit tracking and sword hitboxes are way off).
Cramped arenas(Last Giant vs Asylum Demons) or incredibly awkward arenas that are too obtuse to figure out on your own(Earthen Peak. Really?).
Adding annoying minions to a boss instead of making it challenging(Sif vs. Rat Authority).

The game is riddled with stuff like that.
Either new directors (that haven't worked on anything worthwhile before) totally misunderstood main principles of the game that the original director established or they might be capitalizing, together with Namco marketing department, on the whole "Dark Souls is bullshit hard" trope to sell some more copies.

EDIT: Also I'm still quite pissed at the fact that they totally lied about some important technical aspects of the PC version(I loving love letterboxing and unusable default controls).

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 2, 2014

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

I'm getting the exact same vibe.

The level design is also driving me nuts. I looked at a youtube vid for info on some explodable wall within the Lost Bastille and for the first half of the vid, the dude was in a HUGE area that I never even noticed (falling off the ramparts to ground level). Either I've gotten really retarded or the level design is obtuse as poo poo. My bad memory for areas to come back to doesn't help either but I never had this problem in DaS1.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Jack Trades posted:

Cramped arenas(Last Giant vs Asylum Demons)
Adding annoying minions to a boss instead of making it challenging(Sif vs. Rat Authority).

You're right, neither of these happened in Dark Souls 1 Capra Demon

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

The Joe Man posted:

I'm getting the exact same vibe.

The level design is also driving me nuts. I looked at a youtube vid for info on some explodable wall within the Lost Bastille and for the first half of the vid, the dude was in a HUGE area that I never even noticed (falling off the ramparts to ground level). Either I've gotten really retarded or the level design is obtuse as poo poo. My bad memory for areas to come back to doesn't help either but I never had this problem in DaS1.
The Bastille can be reached in two ways, once from the Pursuer boss fight and once from a small optional area after Heide Tower of Flame. Either side is locked off unless it's where you come from.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

kazil posted:

Can't remember many people saying they thought that was a good/interesting boss to be fair.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Broken Cog posted:

Can't remember many people saying they thought that was a good/interesting boss to be fair.

No, it's not, but some of these complaints aren't new to Dark Souls.

Also, the Last Giant arena is considered cramped? There's a ton of space to work with in there.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Broken Cog posted:

I liked the Capra Demon. Was tough but reasonable.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
How is Dark Souls 2 unfair or artificially difficult? Some people complain it's too easy compared to Dark Souls 1, some people say it's too hard/artificially difficult. I don't get it, the way people treat the difficulty this time varies so wildly it's difficult to tell what the truth of it is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

kazil posted:

That was the only boss fight that worked that way while DS2, as far as I know, has a whole bunch of them.
Post-release From also said that Capra Demon and Bed of Chaos boss fights were badly designed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DS2 is significantly easier than DS1.

Kimmalah posted:

Doors of Pharros axe throwing guy? I just stopped midway through the hall and the axes landed pretty far in front of me. Then the guy is conveniently disarmed because he can't pick them back up.

You can block them easy enough, I just didn't think it had a hitbox of three times the axe. Tseldora Cove is a much better area. The headless knight nearly took me by surprise though, I was out of nearly all spells but some GRS!

Spell wise, is Soul Spear powerful enough to use an attenuation slot on for only 2 casts? I can hold eight max at 30 attenuation with southern band ring +1. Homing Soulmass seems as good as ever though.