Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

King Geedorah posted:

What're our thoughts on the DW Empires games?

I've only ever played 4 and 6 when it comes to Empires, but I thought 6 was pretty terrible compared to 4. Are any others worth it?

I've been enjoying 7 Empires. If DW in general is a crazy bastardization of historical fiction, Empires takes that to the max as your unknown common officer leads a rebellion in Tianshui to overthrow the Prefect Sun Jian before heading east to conquer lands under Cai Wenji with your sworn brother Lu Bu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I just pulled the trigger on 8 and was wondering if there's a "proper" order to do the storyline.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Baram posted:

I just pulled the trigger on 8 and was wondering if there's a "proper" order to do the storyline.

Pretty much just the way it shows it to you in line, with Jin obviously last.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Yardbomb posted:

This, except that if you have XL, do the Lu Bu story after Jin, since it will over-equip you otherwise.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Yardbomb posted:

Maleketh posted:

This, except that if you have XL, do the Lu Bu story after Jin, since it will over-equip you otherwise.

Thanks guys. I got it on PS4 so it comes with (basically) everything.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Baram posted:

Thanks guys. I got it on PS4 so it comes with (basically) everything.

I recently completed the story. I did the 3 main factions, lu bu, then jin.
I wish I had done them in the order presented. The Lu bu campaign doesnt hold any spoilers for the main 3 so its ok to do first. You arent forced to use the high level weapons that you find. I found they made jin more fun.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I restarted without transferring my save file, so I was perfectly happy to hit the story modes overpowered as poo poo. That, and the first thing I did was spend about 20 hours in Ambition mode :v:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

I restarted without transferring my save file, so I was perfectly happy to hit the story modes overpowered as poo poo. That, and the first thing I did was spend about 20 hours in Ambition mode :v:

I think this is how I would feel too and the beginning slog of a a Warriors game is always the worst to me. But I've been playing these forever so maybe I'm a little to interested in hitting the "roaming god" phase as quickly as possible.

You can always bump the difficulty up too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Elliotw2 posted:

This makes me wonder why they haven't tried to combine Romance of the Three Kingdoms with Dynasty Warriors for the Empire games. A proper strategy side, then also letting you lead the battle on foot instead of basic commands.
This is a game I've always wanted someone to make, but I suspect in practice it would be really hard to strike a balance between how important your character is to winning battles and how important your army is.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Sindai posted:

This is a game I've always wanted someone to make, but I suspect in practice it would be really hard to strike a balance between how important your character is to winning battles and how important your army is.

Conceptually, it actually sounds an awful lot like Bladestorm.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Instead of real time, make the battles like Warsong (Langrisser). It maps perfectly because you've got the powerful heroes and weak soldiers, and there's a lot you can do adjusting the command radius, stat bonus and map spells as 'tactics' for the more strategisty characters. The idea is literally solid gold and one day Koei will use it and build a statue in my honor

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I would kill for Koei to make an up to date Langrisser. Bonus points if they keep the little mans bumping up against each other then getting blown away with an 'urk!'.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Ok, I've never played one of these before but I'm ready to get in with 8 on PC after checking out some of the available demos.

I'm clear about how most things work but I can't figure out whether or not 8's story mode has time limits on maps or not. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

gschmidl posted:

I'm clear about how most things work but I can't figure out whether or not 8's story mode has time limits on maps or not. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Most (maybe all?) story mode maps have a time limit one hour, which is far, far more than you'll ever need.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Maleketh posted:

Most (maybe all?) story mode maps have a time limit one hour, which is far, far more than you'll ever need.

Excellent, thanks.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Maleketh posted:

Which really makes you wonder why they bother putting time limits on at all. I almost never have a level last longer that 15-ish minutes (except in the newer games where there are more events). It just seems like some weird arcade holdover or something.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PureRok posted:

Which really makes you wonder why they bother putting time limits on at all. I almost never have a level last longer that 15-ish minutes (except in the newer games where there are more events). It just seems like some weird arcade holdover or something.

There are a lot of weird idiosynchrasies like that in the Warriors games. At some point you just have to roll with it, I don't think I've ever run out of time even once.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

There are a lot of weird idiosynchrasies like that in the Warriors games. At some point you just have to roll with it, I don't think I've ever run out of time even once.

Time has occasionally been a factor in DLC stages. I think Warriors Orochi 3 had a DLC level that had 10 or 15 minute limit (and it was fantastic).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are there any guides on weapon modification?
The one where you turn 3 weapons into 2 other weapons seems like a waste, i have only ever gotten junk from them.
Adding a leveling up the stats and skills seems very useful. Are there any good weapons I could make to cheese some of the harder difficulties with?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

PureRok posted:

You'd be surprised. Some of the longer missions can last that long, and especially on the harder difficulties and if things go wrong, you can be there a long time.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Bloodly posted:

You'd be surprised. Some of the longer missions can last that long, and especially on the harder difficulties and if things go wrong, you can be there a long time.

Nah. I've been playing since 3 and I've never had to play more than 20 minutes.

E: In musou mode. If I'm in free mode then sometimes I guess time can add up since I'm mostly just running all over killing everyone. In Musou mode I'm pretty focused on finishing each level/following objectives.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I've had a few late game mission in SW3 and WO3 take 30 minutes, but I've never come close to actually timing out a mission. If it's taking you an hour, it usually means you're not leveled enough for a mission.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think I have timed out on exactly one mission in Dynasty Warriors, and I think that mission was one of either 3 or 4's Nanman Campaign maps because of the combination of being way young and getting way lost somehow.

Selane
May 19, 2006

OneDeadman posted:

I think I have timed out on exactly one mission in Dynasty Warriors, and I think that mission was one of either 3 or 4's Nanman Campaign maps because of the combination of being way young and getting way lost somehow.

First time I beat the Nanman Campaign it took me fifty-something minutes.

But yeah, other than that you'll generally be done in less than twenty each time. If you're new to the series I guess there might be times where you're unsure of the sequence of events and might take a while figuring out what to do next.

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.
I did not see any post detailing the release date of Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition on PC yet. Tecmo Koei has announced that it will be coming to Steam on May 13th. So very soon!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Nanman was evil as gently caress because that was the demo stage for DW 3 and you had 10 minutes. Evil as gently caress.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tae posted:

Nanman was evil as gently caress because that was the demo stage for DW 3 and you had 10 minutes. Evil as gently caress.

I think playing that demo what what put me off trying DW games for ages because I thought that time limit was how the actual games worked too.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I think playing that demo what what put me off trying DW games for ages because I thought that time limit was how the actual games worked too.

Same here, I honestly thought I was expected to finish longer levels in that time. Didn't touch a Warriors game until Gundam 2.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Sakurazuka posted:

I tried the Vita version of Next and totally ran out of time, so yeah, I wanted to make sure.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

King of the Cosmos posted:

I did not see any post detailing the release date of Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition on PC yet. Tecmo Koei has announced that it will be coming to Steam on May 13th. So very soon!

I'm glad this is a real thing and not some fever dream I had, because I got worried when I couldn't find even a coming soon page for it on Steam!

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Woah, that is way sooner than I expected. I probably won't get it right away, but it's really cool that it's coming to Steam.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
For something coming out in just 10 days I'm surprised there's no coming soon advert on the store page and maybe the ability to pre-order it.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This has probably been answered a million times, but what is the difference between vanilla DW8 and Xtreme Legends on the psn store? Is legends the full game with bonus features?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

PureRok posted:

For something coming out in just 10 days I'm surprised there's no coming soon advert on the store page and maybe the ability to pre-order it.

Sometimes games just show up on Steam. It'd behoove them to allow pre-orders, but it is a Japanese company after all, so I don't expect to see anything until the 13th. I hope the port isn't totally broken either.

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

This has probably been answered a million times, but what is the difference between vanilla DW8 and Xtreme Legends on the psn store? Is legends the full game with bonus features?

Xtreme Legends is the expansion pack. If you want the combo package (only available on PS4/Vita), it's called Dynasty Warriors 8 Xtreme Legends Complete Edition or something like that. On PS3 you'll have to buy both individually.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 3, 2014

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PC, PS4, and Vita all have the DW8 XL Complete Collection with everything inside. PC version comes out on the 18th.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Policenaut posted:

PC, PS4, and Vita all have the DW8 XL Complete Collection with everything inside. PC version comes out on the 18th.

13th. Also, has Koei announced pricing on the PC version?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Thanks for the clarification, all. I only have ps3 so I probably won't be buying both, I never used to get XL versions anyway. Another FYI, the base game is $60 on psn but 40 at retailers. :cheers:

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

A question for the DW8 veterans:

I just finished the Jin campaign (on PS3, no XL), and played the first "Other" campaign scenario. At this point, I've hit the inventory cap on weapons, and had to discard a bunch mid-battle to make room for new ones. So what's the fastest way to get to a point where I can sell a bunch of weapons before proceeding with the Other campaign? Or will I be so lucky as to have a blacksmith in the second scenario?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Razor Jacksuit posted:

A question for the DW8 veterans:

I just finished the Jin campaign (on PS3, no XL), and played the first "Other" campaign scenario. At this point, I've hit the inventory cap on weapons, and had to discard a bunch mid-battle to make room for new ones. So what's the fastest way to get to a point where I can sell a bunch of weapons before proceeding with the Other campaign? Or will I be so lucky as to have a blacksmith in the second scenario?

The Other story doesn't have blacksmiths. The simplest way would be to start a new stage in another story that has a blacksmith (choose "play all" instead of "play stage") and sell your weapons there. When you're done, you can simply save from the pause menu, quit out, and do something else. If you've started Ambition Mode, you can use that blacksmith instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
DW8XLCE protip: the scripting for the star condition in Wu's Battle of Nanjun is broken and you can't do it as the guy who's the "bait" in the plan. The enemy commanders that are supposed to charge you never do. Fortunately it can still be done as the other commanders.

Hope this helps someone avoid all the frustration I just went through.