Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Of course, that's because they also don't realize that like the most important feature of a flywheel is its high mass which gives it a large amount of momentum, which lets it power through logs at a low speed.

Yep. Here's another kind of splitter working on the same principle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGGH4XKNULU

That looks like 150-200 pounds of steel above the wedge, with the coil spring balancing the system. It doesn't matter that the spring slows down the impact when you have that sort of weight falling right through the log.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I really really really like that splitter, it's perfect. Simple, controlled action, the safety of a manual process, no loving motor noise...I feel like I could split logs all day with that thing and be tickled pink by the end of it, just hangin' out enjoying the out-of-doors meditation. Making note of that design for when I some day have a forest to make firewood from.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 27, 2014

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Sears appears to be blowing out some of their sharpening stuff. Picked up a WorkSharp 3000 for 70% off. Not sure it's any sharper than the glass plate method, but it certainly is faster.

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Tim Thomas posted:

Sears appears to be blowing out some of their sharpening stuff. Picked up a WorkSharp 3000 for 70% off. Not sure it's any sharper than the glass plate method, but it certainly is faster.

Did you find it in store? It appears to be the usual price online.

Latest tool purchase: a Klein tool electrician's apprentice 6-piece set. Nice to have a good set of electrician's tools instead of the random pliers I was using.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

I really really really like that splitter, it's perfect. Simple, controlled action, the safety of a manual process, no loving motor noise...I feel like I could split logs all day with that thing and be tickled pink by the end of it, just hangin' out enjoying the out-of-doors meditation. Making note of that design for when I some day have a forest to make firewood from.

It is worth noting that both the spring-and-weight and the offset axe are shown splitting perfectly straight softwood. I burn about 75% red oak, 25% other crap. The red oak is knotty, twisty, and splintery. My Fiskars Super Splitting Axe is really good, but even then, I still regularly need a wedge and 8# maul. If you burn softwoods, then have at it.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Tora! Tora! Tora! posted:

Did you find it in store? It appears to be the usual price online.

Latest tool purchase: a Klein tool electrician's apprentice 6-piece set. Nice to have a good set of electrician's tools instead of the random pliers I was using.

Yep, it was in store. Northshore Mall in MA if it helps.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just pulled the trigger on the Grizzly Polar bear table saw, excited for May 12th to roll around (expected delivery date). Not excited to try and lug 425 lbs into the back of our trailer.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

sharkytm posted:

It is worth noting that both the spring-and-weight and the offset axe are shown splitting perfectly straight softwood.

Those were hardwoods, various species. The first piece he splits has twist, so do several others. The maul has a lot of mass, much heavier than your Fiskars or sledge/wedge combo, and is counterbalanced by a spring making it easy to move. Just physics, not shuck and jive.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Well, my harbor freight trailer is coming along. All together but the motorcycle chocks and tie offs. It really hasn't been that much of a hassle but there were a few steps that could have been documented much better in the manual.

So far, would buy again.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You got a link for that? I've been looking for a small trailer since I'm going to be selling my truck some day. It looks like it has brackets for sidewalls you can drop in?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

You got a link for that? I've been looking for a small trailer since I'm going to be selling my truck some day. It looks like it has brackets for sidewalls you can drop in?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-l...ifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

It actually has a coupon right now at Harbor Freight to bring it down to 249.99. I had an easter coupon that brought it down to $220, which really is a steal if it lasts any time at all. Monthly coupon ends Wednesday!

The folding one collapses to about a 5x2' footprint and has a capacity of about 1200 lbs, while the heavy duty non-folding trailer gets up to just under 1800 lbs.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
I've been toying with the idea of getting a small laser cutter to have in the garage for a little over a year. I really like making things out of acrylic, and my Shopbot Router is kind of aggressive when it comes to cutting small features in plastics.

I've been looking at Full Spectrum Laser, (specifically this one http://fslaser.com/products/lasers/hobby-lasers/newhobby and Epilog's series of low cost machines, which are still more money than I'd want to spend on something like this.

Does anybody own one of those hobby lasers, or can anyone recommend me one that they own in the 4k range?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

Dead Pressed posted:

Well, my harbor freight trailer is coming along. All together but the motorcycle chocks and tie offs. It really hasn't been that much of a hassle but there were a few steps that could have been documented much better in the manual.

So far, would buy again.

Is that a pile of expanding foam that the tongue is resting on?

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Polyurethane geotech grout, to be exact.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

UberVexer posted:

I've been toying with the idea of getting a small laser cutter to have in the garage for a little over a year. I really like making things out of acrylic, and my Shopbot Router is kind of aggressive when it comes to cutting small features in plastics.

I've been looking at Full Spectrum Laser, (specifically this one http://fslaser.com/products/lasers/hobby-lasers/newhobby and Epilog's series of low cost machines, which are still more money than I'd want to spend on something like this.

Does anybody own one of those hobby lasers, or can anyone recommend me one that they own in the 4k range?

Our hackerspace has an older model of the 40W Hobby Laser. Full Spectrum's support has been less than stellar-- In 3 years, we've experienced 4 sets of electronics go bad (poor design on the stepper drivers, until the latest rev), a laser tube that burned out at 20% it's rated life, and a laser power supply that gave up the ghost without warning. We've also had our fair share of silly problems, like X-axis rollers that melted when cutting small circles through thick material. Except for the first two sets of electronics, we had to pay for everything out of our pocket.

The machine itself is simple and easy to fix. Full Spectrum simply imports Chinese laser cutters, replaces the electronics and software, and slaps a healthy markup on the things. If the electronics in the newer models are solid, it should be a decent tool.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can import your own from China at a great discount. I'm currently working with http://www.wklaser.com/ to import a 100W, 3'x4' laser. With high-end chiller, extra laser tube, and a few other options, they quoted under $7000 to ship FOB LA. I'm still working with a customs broker locally to figure out how to handle the handover in LA, and get the thing to the Midwest, taxes and import fees paid. Overall, it will be less than $10,000, door to door. Probably less than $8500.

MrPete
May 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I read an interesting build thread about these trailers years ago.

Just had a quick google and it's still up.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/harbor-freight-folding-trailer-modification-write-up-review-463480/

Guy does a lot of welding and things to make it a much more capable trailer. Might be worth a read at least.

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains
That sucks that there were so many problems with the laser.

Zuph posted:

If you're feeling adventurous, you can import your own from China at a great discount.

I thought about this for a while, and I figured I'd rather have someone in the US to blame when something went wrong, but it sounds like that didn't help you much.

I'll check out what wklaser has to offer, thanks.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I'm looking for suggestions for a compass or set of compass-like tools to draw circles with. I would like a wide range of diameters, say from 1" to 24". Any suggestions? If it's available through Amazon, even better.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well, for the widest range of diameters: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-draw-a-circle-with-string/

And with two pivots and a loop of string instead, you can draw ovals, too! I don't recall what shapes you get as you add more pivots, but I believe you get a progressively greater number of rounded "sides" until eventually you're back to a circle as you approach an infinite number of points. Sky's the limit!

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 30, 2014

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004
I actually tried this last night. It worked great when I was drawing a 12" circle a few months ago but not so much a 2" circle last night (I'm trying to round out the corners out of that wood you saw from the other thread). I'll give it another go tonight and use string instead of twine, but I don't mind dropping a few bucks on a tool.

The oval trick is pretty neat!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Alternately, use something rigid, like a board. That's how you make a router circle jig: you just get a long board and cut a slot in it for the router bit, and then lock your router in anywhere along the board. Or get some metal rod and make your own beam compass. Or buy one if it's a :homebrew: situation: http://www.amazon.com/Rotape-Beam-Compass/dp/B001DSXFT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398864653&sr=8-1&keywords=large+compass (that one has a 3.15" minimum radius.)

In any event, amazon has an assortment of solutions if you want to just buy one, search for "large compass" and use that as a jumping off point.

e: I swear I'm not stalking you

ee: but you smile in your sleep :3:

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Alternately, use something rigid, like a board. That's how you make a router circle jig: you just get a long board and cut a slot in it for the router bit, and then lock your router in anywhere along the board. Or get some metal rod and make your own beam compass. Or buy one if it's a :homebrew: situation: http://www.amazon.com/Rotape-Beam-Compass/dp/B001DSXFT6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398864653&sr=8-1&keywords=large+compass (that one has a 3.15" minimum radius.)

In any event, amazon has an assortment of solutions if you want to just buy one, search for "large compass" and use that as a jumping off point.

e: I swear I'm not stalking you

ee: but you smile in your sleep :3:

:stare:

I like that. I like that a lot.

edit: the Rotape, not the pervy voyeurism :wink:

Suave Fedora fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 30, 2014

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Sounds like a beam compass is what you want. If you have any interest in building one check out John Heisz' site: ibuildit.ca. he has several styles of compasses.

One Legged Ninja
Sep 19, 2007
Feared by shoe salesmen. Defeated by chest-high walls.
Fun Shoe
If you just want to round off corners quickly, here are some corner templates that are really easy. The pack comes with convex, concave, and 45* templates. Faster than trying to find the center for a compass.

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Has anyone tried reconditioning old power tool batteries?

I've got a couple of dead / dying Bosch 24v batteries, one 2.0mah NICD and one 2.6 NIMH.

There are a whole lot of Youtube videos detailing how you can zap a NICD battery back to life with a jolt from ~double the voltage (i.e. 1no bad 24v battery jolted with 2no good 24v batteries in series). The theory is that crystals build up over time in the individual cells, eventually shorting them, and that sufficient charge can break them up again. This allows the pack to function again, albeit not necessarily at 100%.

I've given the NICD battery a couple of jolts at around 48v and results so far seem promising - the multimeter was showing ~10v output before and now it's giving ~20v, though whether this will last remains to be seen.

The NIMH one (which I haven't jolted), read at just above 24v as you might expect from a good battery, but there was no power at all when I press the trigger on the drill. Reading from the multimeter the voltage drops to zero under load (when the trigger is pressed), so I checked each individual cell and a couple were dead. I removed these cells from the series and charged the pack, and the drill started working again (obviously at a lower voltage)... I think I will get a couple of replacement cells and see if it bring the pack back to 'full' use again.

Has anyone tried this (or got the horrible scars to advise against it?)

Gruffalo Soldier fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 2, 2014

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

I've got a couple of dead / dying Bosch 24v batteries, one 2.0mah NICD and one 2.6 NIMH.

There are a whole lot of Youtube videos detailing how you can zap a NICD battery back to life with a jolt from ~double the voltage (i.e. 1no bad 24v battery jolted with 2no good 24v batteries in series). The theory is that crystals build up over time in the individual cells, eventually shorting them, and that sufficient charge can break them up again. This allows the pack to function again, albeit not necessarily at 100%.

I've given the NICD battery a couple of jolts at around 48v and results so far seem promising - the multimeter was showing ~10v output before and now it's giving ~20v, though whether this will last remains to be seen.

The NIMH one (which I haven't jolted), read at just above 24v as you might expect from a good battery, but there was no power at all when I press the trigger on the drill. Reading from the multimeter the voltage drops to zero under load (when the trigger is pressed), so I checked each individual cell and a couple were dead. I removed these cells from the series and charged the pack, and the drill started working again (obviously at a lower voltage)... I think I will get a couple of replacement cells and see if it bring the pack back to 'full' use again.

I think this is a question better fit for the hobby RC thread in AI. I have never heard of restoring batteries, but I have heard of people opening their battery packs and replacing the cells inside. Never heard of that done on a drill before but I cant see why it wouldn't work.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So, my dad donated to the cause this lovely little Stanley block plane - probably not antique but closing on it - a single-iron one which he got from his dad. But unfortunately, at some point a storm got into his shed and left it rusted to hell; both the iron and the sole are pretty screwed up, and it's not really in a usable condition right now.

I've never gone about restoring anything like this before, can anyone give me a brief rundown?

Is it as simple as just running the whole lot across the oilstone until the rust has gone, then squaring it all up?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I would use something more crude like a wire brush and oil to remove the bulk of the rust first. Or soak in an acid based rust remover like citric acid or toilet bowl cleaner. Then move to coarse sandpaper, 80 grit, fixed to glass or MDF. And finally polish until you see fit. I rarely go beyond 80 grit myself, sometimes 120.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Thought it would be something like that. Ta.

Will post when complete or having problems!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

For a plane I would go a hell of a lot finer than 120, I'd want to finish on 600 personally, at a minimum.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Evaporust! You can buy it at Harbor Freight. Works wonders, won't hurt the paint.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

What's that in British money :P

I'll have a look out next time I'm in homebase and grab some things. I'll probably strip back some if not all of the paint anyway, at least up the sides. It's not terribly attractive right now.

I was thinking I'd probably want to go up to a high polish on it. Just making sure it stays square and flat is the most important part I guess.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
One of these days I'm going to try Evaporust. It's expensive but reusable.

I've polished planes to higher grits the first couple I refurbished or tuned but it didn't make any difference in performance. And since mine are for not for display or sentiment I don't bother anymore. But yeah it does look nicer.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

thespaceinvader posted:

What's that in British money :P

I'll have a look out next time I'm in homebase and grab some things. I'll probably strip back some if not all of the paint anyway, at least up the sides. It's not terribly attractive right now.

I was thinking I'd probably want to go up to a high polish on it. Just making sure it stays square and flat is the most important part I guess.

Go to a place that sells granite counter tops and ask if they have any scraps they would be willing to sell you. The most common would be parts removed for sink openings. Lay it on something flat, spray some water on it, and clamp some wet/dry paper on it and get sanding. I currently use a section of laminate counter top and have refinished two planes this way without any warping or irregularities.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You can buy small surface plates on ebay for like $60 shipped. Guaranteed flatter than a piece of counter top, but probably overkill.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
I saw some 12" square ones at woodcraft for like $40-50 iirc

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

oxbrain posted:

You can buy small surface plates on ebay for like $60 shipped. Guaranteed flatter than a piece of counter top, but probably overkill.

rotor posted:

I saw some 12" square ones at woodcraft for like $40-50 iirc

For that amount of money he could buy an armload of those 102's in excellent condition; or a couple of really nice block planes that have been refurbished or otherwise in excellent condition.

Restoring the little Stanley is a good exercise but don't get carried away because it's near the cheapest block plane Stanley ever made.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Dead Pressed posted:

So far, would buy again.

This really is a good trailer. I got a bunch of these tie down points that I put on the frame so I could use ratchet straps.

I actually put this together in my office at work and rolled it out folded up.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

I tried the ol' pop-'em-with-a-welder trick, and it worked on one, not the other (Ryobi One+ NiCds). Better to just open them up and replace the cells, they're pretty cheap at the battery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

I tried the ol' pop-'em-with-a-welder trick, and it worked on one, not the other (Ryobi One+ NiCds). Better to just open them up and replace the cells, they're pretty cheap at the battery store.

Yeah that seems to be the consensus in the RC thread as well; the one that I did shock went up to about 20v for the night then slowly drained back to a steady 10v. Worth a try I guess!

I just got about 100 sub c batteries for a £5 (a job lot of mixed duds and good ones) so hopefully I can piece together at least one good pack out of them!