Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Dimloep posted:

Stuff like that is why I volunteered to cover dinner for our "potluck" Game Night this week. Very few of the regular attendees actually cook *ever*, and even fewer are good cooks. I'm doing a nice but simple (by my standards) salad bar, and next time I can go, I'm gonna do a risotto bar, 'cause gently caress, I love risotto.
Risotto bar sounds like a real bad idea. It'll be goop almost immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

bartolimu posted:

That's basically every potluck my office has. Funeral potatoes, Velveeta/Jimmy Dean/Rotel/cream cheese dip, Costco veggie tray, soggy Costco pre-made sandwich wrap tray, maybe a box of Dunkin Donuts. And then I bring something good. Everyone raves about how good my food is (it's not that great, I just spent an hour or two and gave a gently caress), but it doesn't inspire them to do anything different next potluck.

Keep doing it. Like you said, at least there's something decent to eat for the one or two people who know the difference. Maybe some day someone else will decide to put some effort in too. :sigh:

I take the opposite approach. "Company potluck" means I'm going home early that day.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I made the mistake of making some homemade pepperoni bread for one of my department potlucks. Now I get death threats if I even THINK about bringing anything else. I'm loving sick of making pepperoni bread.

Also gently caress you if you are one of the fourteen people signed up for "chips".

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

The Midniter posted:

I made the mistake of making some homemade pepperoni bread for one of my department potlucks. Now I get death threats if I even THINK about bringing anything else. I'm loving sick of making pepperoni bread.

Also gently caress you if you are one of the fourteen people signed up for "chips".

That's what always happened with mine, too. Someone would HAVE to bring their nasty overcooked egg scramble thing in a crockpot, another would always have to bring his PB chocolate chip cookies, another would have to bring her lovely no-bake "cheesecake". There was one woman who would make the most beautiful arranged fresh crudite platters though, that was one good thing. I would always have to do a bloody (virgin) mary bar, but I was OK with this.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Crusty Nutsack posted:

That's what always happened with mine, too. Someone would HAVE to bring their nasty overcooked egg scramble thing in a crockpot, another would always have to bring his PB chocolate chip cookies, another would have to bring her lovely no-bake "cheesecake". There was one woman who would make the most beautiful arranged fresh crudite platters though, that was one good thing. I would always have to do a bloody (virgin) mary bar, but I was OK with this.

Did you secretly make yours non-virgin :v:

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Did you secretly make yours non-virgin :v:

I wanted to, but never did. I suspect other people did, since it was a temp job no one gave a poo poo about.

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Risotto bar sounds like a real bad idea. It'll be goop almost immediately.

We do it as an action station at work all the time; the risotto is cooked to about 3/4 doneness (ideally the day before) then chilled, and finished to order on the station. Actually, now that I think about it, the major snag is not having dozens of pans, like I do at work. Polenta instead of risotto, then, maybe.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

The Midniter posted:

Every loving Thanksgiving, "Can you bring your pumpkin pie? Like, four of them this year instead of three like last year?"

Yeah, my grandma's pumpkin custard pie recipe is great. It's the best pumpkin pie I've ever had; every other pumpkin pie is a disappointment. But just once I'd like to take a shot at the stuffing, or even mashed potatoes so there are some non-boxed ones.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I cured and smoked a berkshire ham for inlaw's christmas a couple years back

now every loving christmas I have to goddamn get out a bucket and it it in my fridge for two weeks and overhaul this loving ham and then smoke it and slather it in mustard and brownsugar because SOMEONE just HAS to have their loving ham.

that someone is me. :colbert:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Yeah once you get on the Berkshire there's no getting off it. Except maybe for Mangalitsa.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

bartolimu posted:

Every loving Thanksgiving, "Can you bring your pumpkin pie? Like, four of them this year instead of three like last year?"

Yeah, my grandma's pumpkin custard pie recipe is great. It's the best pumpkin pie I've ever had; every other pumpkin pie is a disappointment. But just once I'd like to take a shot at the stuffing, or even mashed potatoes so there are some non-boxed ones.
I don't know if I've ever had bad stuffing.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

No Wave posted:

I don't know if I've ever had bad stuffing.

You obviously haven't met my mother. She makes terrible stuffing.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Scientastic posted:

something something pr0k's mom

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Scientastic posted:

I think most people are just used to whatever boxed mixed stuffing thing is sold at most supermarkets, so anything else is like some kind of holiday kitchen magic or something.

I attribute the weird popularity of the stuffing I get asked to make every loving year for Thanksgiving entirely to using `homemade' croutons. Making your own croutons is one of those things that non-cooks look on like some kind of amazing magic trick or something. I'm like look, I cut up some old bread and put it in a warm oven until it gets dry and toasty. Sometimes I put some garlic on it. That's it. And they're like pointing and hopping up and down and howling and poo poo, like a half sheet of croutons is the loving Monolith beaming poo poo into their heads to teach them to use tools. And I'm all look I'm making some sous vide turkey loving porchetta over here and you're doting on the loving croutons?

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Any of you guys ever travelled to Lithuania? I'm going to Kaunas for a week and a half later this month. I've heard there's a decent beer scene there, which is exciting.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

bartolimu posted:

My dad's the "pie guy" and he's kind of protective of that title. He makes the best pumpkin pies I've ever had, but he hardly ever makes them for gatherings anymore because he likes to try new recipes. And these days it's usually something gimmicky that involves Dream Whip or other related thing. I'd like to ask him to just make a normal goddamn pumpkin pie but I don't want to be one of those people. :(

Also, is your grandma's recipe a secret? My dad keeps saying he'll give me his recipe but mysteriously keeps forgetting.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I'm making daal for dinner. TRU MERIC IS BEST MERIC!

Also, the smell of chilli, garlic and ginger chopped in a food processor is just so so good.

therattle fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 3, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

So I'm cooking for a lot of strangers (my sister's friends) next weekend. A few are vegetarians, so I'm thinking of just playing it really safe and doing bean and cheese burritos. Some diced onion, refried beans, cheese, rice, and some nachos with homemade guac. Can't go wrong, hopefully.

Starting a 5-week cooking course this Tuesday too, pretty hype for it.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

So I'm cooking for a lot of strangers (my sister's friends) next weekend. A few are vegetarians, so I'm thinking of just playing it really safe and doing bean and cheese burritos. Some diced onion, refried beans, cheese, rice, and some nachos with homemade guac. Can't go wrong, hopefully.

Starting a 5-week cooking course this Tuesday too, pretty hype for it.

Just to be safe, you'll want to find either cheese that's been made with vegetable rennet or just get vegan cheese. Many/most vegetarians won't eat cheeses that were made with animal rennet.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I was gonna get vegan everything just in case.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 00:36 on May 4, 2014

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Amykinz posted:

vegan cheese

This is not a thing. Stop eating food that isn't food.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

bartolimu posted:

This is not a thing. Stop eating food that isn't food.

Oh, don't worry, we don't eat vegan cheese. At all. But if he's cooking for a group of people he doesn't know, the last thing you need is someone getting angry because their principles were violated with his thoughtful gift of food.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I've been broke as poo poo the last week or two, (gently caress lent) and made Dino's lemon rice last night because pretty much all that's in the fridge are lemons, and holy crap its the most amazing thing. I tried a bite and was ambivalent at first and then 15 min later I was almost done with my second bowl. So thanks Dino, that saved my evening!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Amykinz posted:

Oh, don't worry, we don't eat vegan cheese. At all. But if he's cooking for a group of people he doesn't know, the last thing you need is someone getting angry because their principles were violated with his thoughtful gift of food.

No cheese is better than vegan cheese. Seriously. I've been vegan for 15 years and only eat vegan cheese on pizza when i am realllly craving something gooey. Never in burritos. Vegan cheese tastes like nothing (or sometimes actually tastes terrible).

If you're doing burritos you could make a cashew crema maybe or some really good salsas to add flavor and moistness to the burrito but don't buy vegan cheese for a bunch of people who aren't even vegan. It will taste weird.

There's a book called Viva Vegan by Terry Hope Romero with tons of good vegan Latin recipes and lots of good sauces if you really want to research vegan burritos. Tacos would be better than burritos if you're not using cheese. Beans, lettuce, salsa, avocado, and a squirt of fresh lime is good.

Middle eastern food is super easy to make vegan too. Hummus, tabbouleh, carrot salad, pita, olives, etc. mine of those things call for cheese like burritos do so if you want to play it safe that may be a better menu.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm a hard core meat eater, but I must respectfully disagree. Although rarely encountered in the wild, good vegan cheese is entirely possible. If you culture it with the same molds use to culture dairy cheese, then it will taste much like the real thing!

Of course, texture is the hard part. I've had some very good vegan cheese made with cultured raw cashew, but that's never going to melt. Getting vegan cheese to melt requires weird ingredients and/or chemistry, and the results aren't great.

Here is my GF's famous recipe for vegan blue cheese, the secret ingredient is fermented tofu:

Melody's Vegan Blue Cheese posted:

1 cup cashews
1 cup pumpkin seeds
4 oz jar fermented tofu
½ cup sauerkraut, drained VERY well
1 teaspoon acidophillius culture
Salt to taste
2 T miso
1 teaspoon blue green algae powder (or chlorella)

Blend the cashews with ¼ cup sauerkraut, 1 T miso and 1/2 jar tofu and the liquid along ½ teaspoon culture. Set aside for several days (on the counter is the best)
Blend the pumpkin seeds with ¼ cup sauerkraut, 1 T miso and 1/2 jar of tofu and the liquid along with ½ teaspoon culture and the algae. Set aside for several days (on the counter is best)
Mix them together and salt to taste.
The longer this sits, the BETTER and cheesier it tastes.

You can spoon the mixture on a dehydrator tray or sheet pan (in a warm oven) and dehydrate at 115 for 5 hours to create a crumbly texture.

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2012/05/vegan-blue-cheese-recipe.html

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm a hard core meat eater, but I must respectfully disagree. Although rarely encountered in the wild, good vegan cheese is entirely possible. If you culture it with the same molds use to culture dairy cheese, then it will taste much like the real thing!

Of course, texture is the hard part. I've had some very good vegan cheese made with cultured raw cashew, but that's never going to melt. Getting vegan cheese to melt requires weird ingredients and/or chemistry, and the results aren't great.

Here is my GF's famous recipe for vegan blue cheese, the secret ingredient is fermented tofu:

Wait...you're dating Melody from melomeals? Holy crap. I've read her for quite a while.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Plus_Infinity posted:

Middle eastern food is super easy to make vegan too. Hummus, tabbouleh, carrot salad, pita, olives, etc. mine of those things call for cheese like burritos do so if you want to play it safe that may be a better menu.

I was actually gonna make falafel, as a snack for them since I have loads of chickpeas lying around. And everyone loves falafel.

Thanks for your advice anyway!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

Wait...you're dating Melody from melomeals? Holy crap. I've read her for quite a while.

Cool, please write her and tell her that! She could use some good vibes, ever since she decided to start eating dairy again, she has gotten nothing but hate and vitriol from the hard core vegan types.

Speaking of foodblogging, she sent me a link to one of her friend's blogs, where she talks about why she turned down a publishing deal:

Bojon Gourmet posted:

Food bloggers are attractive to book publishers for several reasons. On the positive side, we often have an established audience that comes from years of diligent posting. We don't just create content, we create community based around our values and aesthetic. We have a strong network with other bloggers and food professionals. We're supposedly good at self-promotion (ha), and sometimes we take pictures of food that are high enough quality for print.

On the downside, since most of us don't work in the field of writing, publishing, or photography, many of us don't realize our worth. Getting information about industry standards for writing, recipe development, and photography is difficult, so we often charge below market value or are willing to work for free. This results not only in us being broke, it also undercuts the market and short-changes the professionals who make a living doing what we will do for free.

http://www.bojongourmet.com/2014/05/cumin-and-honey-roasted-carrots-ricotta.html

Gorgeous pictures, too.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oh yeah home made vegan cheese can be good. I've made some good soft cheeses at home before with nuts and liquid from fermented sprouts. When I said vegan cheese I was talking about the stuff you find at most grocery stores like Follow Your Heart or Daiya, not artisan stuff.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Silly folks, publishers love food blogs.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Vegan cheeses are pretty bad, but you really need to watch out for carnivorous cheeses. They're generally bad tempered, and they charge when wounded.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I always thought that was what casu marzu was, seeing as how it'll eat you from the inside if you have too much of it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only food that weeps with shame at how disgusting it is.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
I don't know the last bread that I made that didn't have depleted brewing grains mixed into the dough. It's been my favorite "waste not, want not" thing for the past few months at least.

I probably need to start actually cooking again, rather than cooking lazy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:colbert: What's this about me?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Casu Marzu posted:

:colbert: What's this about me?

You're deadly and disgusting. hth

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm writing up a review of the all-inclusive place I stayed at last week, so the woman and I have been discussing the food. Overall, really loving good. The lunch and dinner menus were served gourmet style, with little portions of well plated food. Nice pairings, well flavored and seasoned food. Once I had a piece of fish that was a little dry, but otherwise the execution was awesome. The ingredients were great, fresh and local, with amazing fruits and cheese. Not many vegetarian options, but there were a few veg meals that you could pre-order.

So then I read this review from someone who was there at the same time I was:

"this all inclusive hotel was a great, but lunch and dinner was HORRIBLE! Didn't think food could taste so bad, If you want something decent go to the bar behind the spa, the food taste better and I was satisfied"

I can't imagine what this woman lived on for 5 days. :psyduck:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm writing up a review of the all-inclusive place I stayed at last week, so the woman and I have been discussing the food. Overall, really loving good. The lunch and dinner menus were served gourmet style, with little portions of well plated food. Nice pairings, well flavored and seasoned food. Once I had a piece of fish that was a little dry, but otherwise the execution was awesome. The ingredients were great, fresh and local, with amazing fruits and cheese. Not many vegetarian options, but there were a few veg meals that you could pre-order.

So then I read this review from someone who was there at the same time I was:

"this all inclusive hotel was a great, but lunch and dinner was HORRIBLE! Didn't think food could taste so bad, If you want something decent go to the bar behind the spa, the food taste better and I was satisfied"

I can't imagine what this woman lived on for 5 days. :psyduck:

Let's see...Doesn't like real people food, points out both the spa and the bar, and probably spent most of their time going between one and the other...I'm going with Lizard person or sentient lichen.

This is probably the kind of person who normally eats lovely food, and then, when presented with the genuine article is overwhelmed with the difference. It would be like going from eating McDonalds every day, and then being presented with a handmade, well crafted cheeseburger.

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold

Allahu Snackbar posted:

I don't know the last bread that I made that didn't have depleted brewing grains mixed into the dough. It's been my favorite "waste not, want not" thing for the past few months at least.

I probably need to start actually cooking again, rather than cooking lazy.

Really? Don't the grain husks bother you? When I tried that I couldn't get past the husks. Or do you grind your grain fine enough that the husks aren't so noticeable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My prize for the ICSA arrived today. And it's AMAZING. Wiggles, you're the best.