Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
Just get one of these -- literally all you have to do is slice the lemon/lime in half and squeeze it in this thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

movax posted:

A lot of my favorite cocktails depends on fresh lemon or lime juice. I don't have a lot of time in the evenings to make drinks at home either. If I get a hand juicer or something like that, what's the usual shelf life / how long can I keep the juice around in the fridge? A few days?

2-3 days.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

Just get one of these -- literally all you have to do is slice the lemon/lime in half and squeeze it in this thing.

Seconded. If you don't have a citrus squeezermajig then you aren't drinking enough.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Remove the stem or ovary end as well for maximum extraction. Your average, pre-end of days lime should yield about an ounce, lemons around one and a half. Milage will vary.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Vegetable Melange posted:

Remove the stem or ovary end as well for maximum extraction. Your average, pre-end of days lime should yield about an ounce, lemons around one and a half. Milage will vary.

When is this lime crisis going to end? I don't want to keep paying $1 for a lime.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

The Hebug posted:

When is this lime crisis going to end? I don't want to keep paying $1 for a lime.

I wish I knew. Friend just paid $9/6, and we're in a major market. Can't imagine how rough the summer will be for the sedan set.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm getting lemons with my taco truck tacos, this has reached a major crisis. What exactly is going on again? I keep hearing it's cartel poo poo, but I'm hearing that from restaurant people who may not know anything.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Kenning posted:

I'm getting lemons with my taco truck tacos, this has reached a major crisis. What exactly is going on again? I keep hearing it's cartel poo poo, but I'm hearing that from restaurant people who may not know anything.

Combination of some bacterial infection destroying a large part of the lime crop, resulting in higher lime prices, driven further higher by cartels taking the remaining now valuable limes.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Limes cost 200 yen in Tokyo. You guys don't know poo poo about expensive fruit.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I'm currently in TriBeCa, I know plenty of expensive fruits.

The lime shortage is a combination of wet weather causing rot, storage problems, and logistics challenges in transportation through the northwest of Mexico, some part of which is due to local tensions between farmers coops and organized/disorganized crime. Of course the media and restaurant workers are all "cartels!" Because they're not really thinking/caring.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
My friends have a habit of buying me and my partner booze as gifts. It's great for me (I have 4 bottles of scotch in right now), but she gets bought a lot of nonsense flavoured booze I'd like to be able to shift (she drinks prosecco, gin and sidecars almost exclusively).

The booze cupboard currently contains the following:
Mango vodka
Apple Schnapps
Apple Vodka
Marmalade Vodka (this one is nice with tonic, at least)
Cinnamon vodka (drank some of this with apple and Angostura's this winter, it was OK)
Vanilla vodka (good for hard vanilla cokes, but I can only have the odd one as it's sweet as gently caress)

What do I do with this poo poo - I don't want to waste it (as it was given to us as gifts), so I was hoping for ideas.

Also, I had a scotch and soda last night (with Jura Origin), and enjoyed it more than I expected to. I'm not sure if here or the whiskey thread is best to ask, but since I'm posting anyway, does anyone have a favourite scotch for that job? I'm feeling a new favourite summer drink coming on.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Death of Rats posted:

Apple Schnapps

They're pretty sweet but Washington Apples are drinkable. It might work with schnapps, maybe even better than Pucker if its not as sweet.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Death of Rats posted:

Also, I had a scotch and soda last night (with Jura Origin), and enjoyed it more than I expected to. I'm not sure if here or the whiskey thread is best to ask, but since I'm posting anyway, does anyone have a favourite scotch for that job? I'm feeling a new favourite summer drink coming on.

Ballantine's for value, Black Grouse if I don't mind spending money.

Archer2338
Mar 15, 2008

'Tis a screwed up world
To piggyback on this topic: I also have a bottle of gifted butterscotch schnapps that tastes way too sweet to drink by itself. What the hell do I use it for?

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Death of Rats posted:

Vanilla vodka (good for hard vanilla cokes, but I can only have the odd one as it's sweet as gently caress)

Half vanilla vodka, half hazelnut liqueur. Mix in a shot glass, do it exactly like a tequila slammer but substitute lemon for the lime and sugar for the salt. Tastes exactly like German chocolate cake. Not exactly classy, but they are quite tasty...

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

crazyfish posted:

Half vanilla vodka, half hazelnut liqueur. Mix in a shot glass, do it exactly like a tequila slammer but substitute lemon for the lime and sugar for the salt. Tastes exactly like German chocolate cake. Not exactly classy, but they are quite tasty...
Similarly, 4 parts vanilla vodka to 2 parts lime juice to 1 part hazelnut liqueur yields a Key Lime Pie. (The same with lemon juice yields lemon meringue.)

There are a lot of fruity cocktails wherein you could experiment with substituting your flavored vodkas for something else. I mean, don't expect an Angel Face with apple liqueur to taste as good as if you'd used Calvados, but we're talking about making the most of flavored vodka here. For example, I'd also be inclined to try the mango vodka as a substitute for anything calling for apricot or peach brandy.

Archer2338 posted:

To piggyback on this topic: I also have a bottle of gifted butterscotch schnapps that tastes way too sweet to drink by itself. What the hell do I use it for?
I find butterscotch schnapps, like hazelnut, is useful for adding a "pie crust" flavour. Besides that...put it in coffee. Almost every recipe involving butterscotch is the kind of incredibly sweet stuff you want to avoid.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Death of Rats posted:

My friends have a habit of buying me and my partner booze as gifts. It's great for me (I have 4 bottles of scotch in right now), but she gets bought a lot of nonsense flavoured booze I'd like to be able to shift (she drinks prosecco, gin and sidecars almost exclusively).

The booze cupboard currently contains the following:
Mango vodka
Apple Schnapps
Apple Vodka
Marmalade Vodka (this one is nice with tonic, at least)
Cinnamon vodka (drank some of this with apple and Angostura's this winter, it was OK)

What do I do with this poo poo - I don't want to waste it (as it was given to us as gifts), so I was hoping for ideas.

You should tell your friends to stop getting your girl sexist booze presents.

Also, consider using some of those in ice creams/sorbets. Keep in mind that the alcohol will make the final product a bit softer in general though.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
One of my friends got a really cocktail(s) at a bar but he didn't ask what went into it. Wondering if the thread can help.

Description:
Very noticeable cucumber taste. Clear. Not straight liquor. Not carbonated.

Known ingredients:
Gin (Hendrick's)
Cucumber slices
Ice

Known NON-ingredients:
sugar or simple syrup
limes
mint
anything cloudy
anything carbonated

Mystery ingredient:
Clear liquid, or clear enough to appear clear while buzzed/drunk in a bar.

Our best guesses have been water or vermouth. Water seems odd because...water. Vermouth seems kind of odd because then it's basically a martini - but as a cocktail?

Any ideas?

Edit: Mystery ingredient came from a "large bottle" for whatever that's worth.

FaradayCage fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 3, 2014

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

FaradayCage posted:

One of my friends got a really cocktail(s) at a bar but he didn't ask what went into it. Wondering if the thread can help.

Description:

Known ingredients:
Gin (Hendrick's)
Cucumber slices
Ice

Known NON-ingredients:
sugar or simple syrup
limes
mint
anything cloudy
anything carbonated

Mystery ingredient:

Our best guesses have been water or vermouth. Water seems odd because...water. Vermouth seems kind of odd because then it's basically a martini - but as a cocktail?

Any ideas?

I know that when you make a Gin and tonic with Hendricks you're supposed to use cucumber instead of lime, it gives it a very different taste. If it's not carbonated then I have no idea.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Maybe the tonic water was just flat?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Maybe the tonic water was just flat?

Negative on that.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

FaradayCage posted:

How large was the bottle? Luxardo Maraschino is clear but it comes from a pretty distinctive bottle

Edit: St Germain is another option

Horn fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 3, 2014

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

FaradayCage posted:

Description:

Known ingredients:
Gin (Hendrick's)
Cucumber slices
Ice

Known NON-ingredients:
sugar or simple syrup
limes
mint
anything cloudy
anything carbonated

Mystery ingredient:

Any ideas?

Cucumber syrup maybe? Muddling some cuke with Hendrick's is super delicious, maybe the bar/bartender is known for the Hendrick's and has a big stash of cuke syrup on hand.

e: Maybe Cynar? It's vegetable as gently caress and brings out some pretty crazy flavors in other things. Also, I've known people to use sake in Hendricks/Cuke concoctions, so maybe that?

Wungus fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 3, 2014

Chuck Biscuits
Dec 5, 2004

Do you know what the mystery drink tasted like? I've had Hendricks Martinis and cucumber Gimlets that were garnished with a cucumber slice that both almost fit your description, even though they both taste very different. Do you know what sort of glass it was served in?

tynam
May 14, 2007
Sounds like a typical cucumber martini, stirred with probably a tiny hint of vermouth if you couldn't taste it. The cucumber slices/juice would cloud a lot of the flavor, and Hendricks already has cucumber notes to its aroma/flavor profiles as well. Clear liquid was probably dry vermouth.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Any suggestions for dairy ratios on the Ramos Gin Fizz? Neither of the versions I have tried give me the frothy volume I was expecting, certainly not compared to the kind of froth I can get on a regular whiskey sour.

Diffords: 1 oz double cream, 1oz egg white
Jim Meehan: 3/4oz double cream, whole egg white.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Slimchandi posted:

Any suggestions for dairy ratios on the Ramos Gin Fizz? Neither of the versions I have tried give me the frothy volume I was expecting, certainly not compared to the kind of froth I can get on a regular whiskey sour.

Diffords: 1 oz double cream, 1oz egg white
Jim Meehan: 3/4oz double cream, whole egg white.

Are you giving it a solid dry shake before adding ice?

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Yes, but neither recipe seemed to get very well aerated. I tried adding a hawthorne spring and it didn't help either. Maybe I'm just expecting the wrong thing?

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006

FaradayCage posted:

Description:

Known ingredients:
Gin (Hendrick's)
Cucumber slices
Ice

Known NON-ingredients:
sugar or simple syrup
limes
mint
anything cloudy
anything carbonated

Mystery ingredient:

Any ideas?

Lillet blanc?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Coming home from a hard day of canvassing for legalized weed in DC, I stopped at the Pearl Dive and then Saint Ex on 14th St, and was exposed to two liquors I've never had before:

- Byyrh, a pretty tasty vin apertif, in a long-drink with vermouth, triple sec, cocchi, fernet, and soda and lime
- Malort, apparently a Chicago version of wormwood brannvin, tasted similar to aquavit, in a mixed drink with grapefruit syrup and lager.

As a tangential "first time trying liquor X", for a while I'd pressed a girly female friend to try sloe gin, and teased her with the old line "sloe gin makes a girl fast". Then one night she texted me "i finally tried sloe gin in a cocktail at [bar], and last night I had a really vivid dream where I was dead. never trying it again."

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

FaradayCage posted:

Description:

Known ingredients:
Gin (Hendrick's)
Cucumber slices
Ice

Known NON-ingredients:
sugar or simple syrup
limes
mint
anything cloudy
anything carbonated

Mystery ingredient:

Any ideas?

I've always wondered why people in search of this mystery cocktail don't go back and ask the bartender, or call the bar, or send an email to the bar.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

Kenning posted:

I've always wondered why people in search of this mystery cocktail don't go back and ask the bartender, or call the bar, or send an email to the bar.

Hahaha I actually resolved to call the bar a couple days ago. I even have a cover story if I need it (I follow a weird religious diet and I have to run the ingredients by my gurus). I just haven't called yet cause I'm so shy. :ohdear:

(I'll let yall know).

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

FaradayCage posted:

Hahaha I actually resolved to call the bar a couple days ago. I even have a cover story if I need it (I follow a weird religious diet and I have to run the ingredients by my gurus). I just haven't called yet cause I'm so shy. :ohdear:

(I'll let yall know).

. . . . dude, drop the cover story. You liked a thing that they made. Any bar worth a poo poo is gonna be totally fine giving you ingredients without any stupid overblown cover story or excuse. They are not going to ask for a reason, and they're gonna roll their eyes at you if you give them one. Relax and make sure you call when they're not in the middle of service. Call right after they open, or in the afternoon lull at like 3 or 4.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I came up with a great recipe for a Tuaca margarita the other day, but it's only available to initiated brothers of the Abraxan priesthood. If you want the details, just ask your steward at the next cleansing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just wondering if anyone has tried Patron's orange liqueur.

Made a nice tequila drink with El Jimador Silver, half a lime and Senoral's Sangria soda.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 7, 2014

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mister Macys posted:

Just wondering if anyone has tried Patron's orange liqueur.

Sure. It's an unnecessary and overpriced orange liqueur.

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
Like everyone who discovered The Last Word, I'm now really keen to make an Aviation. And, if it's good, ten Aviations. And, like everyone, the creme de violette is the stumbling block.

a) I've been told by a bartender with a mustache that Creme Yvette and Parfait d'Amour are unacceptable substitutes, because they taste very different. True?

b) How about liqueur de violettes? G.E. Massenez does one, which is (semi) available in this country. I think Tempus Fugit does one as well, but their stuff is impossible to get here.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just so I'm clear: Dolin Rouge and Vya Dry, right?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Like everyone who discovered The Last Word, I'm now really keen to make an Aviation. And, if it's good, ten Aviations. And, like everyone, the creme de violette is the stumbling block.

a) I've been told by a bartender with a mustache that Creme Yvette and Parfait d'Amour are unacceptable substitutes, because they taste very different. True?

b) How about liqueur de violettes? G.E. Massenez does one, which is (semi) available in this country. I think Tempus Fugit does one as well, but their stuff is impossible to get here.

A: Yvette has vanilla and other flavors that make it more than just Violette, and won't place nice with the maraschino and gin like the pure stuff. Parfait d'Amour is a hot mess of berries on fire, with rose.

B: the (NYC) cocktail go-to is Rothman & Orchard, out of Austria (Hanz Alpenz does the distro in the US). Liqueur is only questionable because of sugar levels. Maraschino is plenty sweet on its own, which is why you won't see too many aviation specs call for simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've made my Aviations with Yvette because it's all I can get. I don't have a problem with the flavour, but you don't get that sky blue :(