Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Sweeney Tom posted:

49ers exercised Aldon Smith's 2015 option. Good luck with that.

Aldon Smith is really good at football. If you didn't think they were going to pickup that option you're delusional. That said, he really needs to get some help and the 49ers need to hire a handler to keep him from doing stupid poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Cleat chasers are definitely a thing, as are polo chasers (or visor chasers if you live in a cool part of the country).

of course they are, but no one ever complains about them until Jameis pulls a Roethlisberger

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Sweeney Tom posted:

Any variation of "this season is lost"

The Falcons had 5 back to back winning seasons in 2012 (first time in franchise history, previous records were 2(2009), 3(2010), and 4(2011); you see where I'm going with this) and an NFC Championship appearance in 2012, followed by being the first team to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs in week 12 in 2013. Throw onto it that it's Tony G's last season and he's never been on the field in a Superbowl.

I think "Lost Season" is the only thing to call that. :colbert:

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 2, 2014

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Anals of History posted:

Football Fan Red Flags
  • Tony Romo is a choker / Tony Homo
  • ...but they get a scholarship! It's better than getting paid.
  • You knew you might hurt your head a couple of times before you signed up
  • Act like you've been there
  • I'd gladly deal with x if you paid me $yM a year
  • "thug"
  • "cleat-chasers"
  • These guys should be thankful someone's giving them a job

"I don't root for teams, I root for players."

You usually see this in basketball but they're out there for football.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

commy gun posted:

This is code for fantasy football

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Azhais posted:

This is code for fantasy football

Or "I only follow Ohio State players :smug: who cares about the NFL"

*roots for Steelers every Sunday anyway*

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I want Vince McMahon to run the NFL too. Please sell the league to him.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
People in North East Ohio that root for the Steelers can all die, be miserable like the rest of your directional kin.

Also stop asking for all the TVs to be changed to the Steelers game.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Sweeney Tom posted:

49ers exercised Aldon Smith's 2015 option. Good luck with that.

These 5th year options are pretty much risk free for teams considering the guarantees are only for injury. It would have been stupid of them not to pick it up considering how well Smith has played.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I wasn't being sarcastic! Granted I don't think he's going to be there much longer if his behavior doesn't get better, but I hope things do, and think exercising that option was a good move, his idiocy at the airport mere weeks ago aside.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

commy gun posted:

I think this is sorta silly especially when applied to basketball to hate on someone for. I may not like the Heat but I can still root for Lebron to do sick dunks on fools and for JR Smith to shoot all the shots. Basketball is way different in that regard because theres only 5 dudes on the court at a time instead of like 20 in football.

Also dunks. Free the Phoenix Suns.

Did the NFL seriously push the draft back for that dumb movie to come out? I feel like I don't care at all about the draft because it's been so long.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Cleat chasers are definitely a thing, as are polo chasers (or visor chasers if you live in a cool part of the country).

Technically, we are all visor chasers:

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Rap posted:

After living with dedicated fantasy football people nothing bothers me more than that. Cheering for specific players, insisting on watching Vikings-Packers just to yell about Cordarelle Patterson in particular getting the touchdown. ugh

I didn't play fantasy last year for the first time in a while and oh my god football is so much fun when you don't have to care that, in a game you don't give a poo poo about, Drew Brees threw a touchdown to Jimmy Graham instead of Marques Colston or whatever

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I watch the Browns games at a restaraunt with a local Browns Backers group and there are two people who always go and only talk about their fantasy teams and nothing else. To be fair, one of them is a Lions fan so I don't blame him for not wanting to talk about his team.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Can we do a beer mock draft

Or a wine mock draft

Or a rehab center mock draft

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

ZenVulgarity posted:

Can we do a beer mock draft

Or a wine mock draft

Or a rehab center mock draft

A poster mock draft. Can't wait to see Doltos' scouting reports.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They are but if you talk about them there is a like 85% chance you're being a gross rear end in a top hat.

swickles posted:

A poster mock draft. Can't wait to see Doltos' scouting reports.

man don't loving encourage this poo poo

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fantasy football made me a better fan because it forced me to learn about players beyond my team, but I agree it can get annoying.

And gently caress rooting against your team because of fantasy.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fantasy football made me a better fan because it forced me to learn about players beyond my team, but I agree it can get annoying.

And gently caress rooting against your team because of fantasy.

This. X 1000

Combine that with reading Tff and playing madden and it has broadened my football horizon exponentially.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MourningView posted:

signed, an undrafted free agent

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Aww yeah, two more years of Aldon ducking and weaving and taking dudes out... And that's just en route to the game.

Also 5th year options are non-guaranteed except for injury so it's a no-brainer.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Ramadu posted:

I think this is sorta silly especially when applied to basketball to hate on someone for. I may not like the Heat but I can still root for Lebron to do sick dunks on fools and for JR Smith to shoot all the shots. Basketball is way different in that regard because theres only 5 dudes on the court at a time instead of like 20 in football.

Also dunks. Free the Phoenix Suns.

Did the NFL seriously push the draft back for that dumb movie to come out? I feel like I don't care at all about the draft because it's been so long.

The problem here is that you're watching the NBA.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Spoeank posted:

Also 5th year options are non-guaranteed except for injury so it's a no-brainer.

Naturally the Lions didn't pick up Fairley's. :(

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Yup.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I really hope he keeps that beard and look for the entire season.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Azhais posted:

Yes. If Manziel puts up 48 and his defense gives up 49, he's a choke artist just like Romo. I'm sure there's a dedicated team of bloggers working on a "Tony Homo"-like nickname for him as we speak.

Hopefully it all ends with Tony on a better team.

Johnny Fuckedupat Football

Sweeney Tom posted:

Any variation of "this season is lost"

I presume Browns fans are exempt from this rule

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

Intruder posted:

I presume Browns fans are exempt from this rule

They have lost decades

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

not the kinda guy i wanna have a beer with

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

No Butt Stuff posted:

not the kinda guy i wanna have a beer with

yeah he's really not the kind of poster who brings his lunch pail and goes to work

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Volkerball posted:

yeah he's really not the kind of poster who brings his lunch pail and goes to work

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Pushing back the draft has caused us to reach peak offseason ahead of schedule

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Look what you did swickles.

In actual NFL news, where is Mike Glennon going?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Real talk, I pissed on a Milwaukee Journal Sentinel today. It had Manziel on the front page of the sports section.

Athanatos posted:

The CFL

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Look what you did swickles.

Vikings they love useless castoffs.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Glennon has NFL ability despite being below replacement level so I expect the actual issue to be what Tampa hopes to get in return for him, and not finding a suitor. They're not going to get back what they spent. But a 4th or 5th wouldn't be a bad return, and there are some teams that could use competition at the position that would spend that. Jacksonville, Tennessee, to name a couple.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Quest For Glory II posted:

Glennon has NFL ability despite being below replacement level so I expect the actual issue to be what Tampa hopes to get in return for him, and not finding a suitor. They're not going to get back what they spent. But a 4th or 5th wouldn't be a bad return, and there are some teams that could use competition at the position that would spend that. Jacksonville, Tennessee, to name a couple.

I think Glennon is at least a replacement-level quarterback if not even a little better, and I'm not even particularly fond of him as a player. People tend to underestimate just how bad 'replacement level' usually is.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think Glennon is at least a replacement-level quarterback if not even a little better, and I'm not even particularly fond of him as a player. People tend to underestimate just how bad 'replacement level' usually is.

See: Giants

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I would say that a 6.2 YPA, sub-60 COMP% and 83 QB rating is about as slightly below average as a QB can be. I still say he has NFL talent, but I don't think he's got a lot of it in his head.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Replacement level is not equivalent to 'average' though, it means 'expected value of a player replacing an injured starter'. Off the top of my head, the best contemporary examples I could think of for replacement level QBs are like, Kellen Clemens or Ryan Fitzpatrick. Not Mark Sanchez-level atrocious, but they're usually pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Aldon Smith is really good at football. If you didn't think they were going to pickup that option you're delusional. That said, he really needs to get some help and the 49ers need to hire a handler to keep him from doing stupid poo poo.

I wish they could, but I think that'd be a CBA violation. He'd have to hire a handler himself, or maybe his teammates could do it (though that might be a salary cap violation). Maybe his family could help, I don't know :(

• Locked thread