Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Generally known as a woodworker's vise if you're trying to google it. If you're not into woodworking then I probably wouldn't bother. Just get the biggest heaviest vise you can. Preferably something 30+ years old made in not china off craigslist or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

eddiewalker posted:

A vise. Made of wood so it's softer than a metal one and won't destroy wooden projects.
Ah, that would make sense. Thanks.

On my new workbench I wanted to include a bunch of "essential" tools on it. A (metal) bench vise, bench grinder, planing stops, holdfasts, bench dogs, and bench of hangers on pegboard for tools. Is there a such thing as having too much crap on a homemade workbench? I'm only doing this because we have a small garage, and I'm trying to maximize the usable space on the workbench I plan on building.

Galler posted:

Generally known as a woodworker's vise if you're trying to google it. If you're not into woodworking then I probably wouldn't bother. Just get the biggest heaviest vise you can. Preferably something 30+ years old made in not china off craigslist or whatever.
Funny that you mention that- I do actually plan on doing some woodworking (or more of it, at least). My workbench would be for woodworking, basic house renos, and DIY car maintenance. Is it overkill to have both a woodworker's vise + a metal vise on the same workbench?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 27, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A proper woodworking bench is an amazing thing for, well, woodworking and doesn't become unusable for other tasks. Although you might want extra support if you're going to mount a big metal vise and grinder to it. As for the vise it unsurprisingly works great for woodworking. Like eddiewalker mentioned a normal metal vise may have trouble securely holding a wood project without damaging it while the the woodworking vise is well suited to the task.

Here's The New Yankee Workshop's work bench to give you some ideas.

e: oh, and since you're space limited remember that you don't have to have every tool ready to go at all times. Make mounting points for your grider and vise and whatnot so you can pull them out and bolt them to the table when needed and remove and tuck away when not.

Galler fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 27, 2014

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Galler posted:

e: oh, and since you're space limited remember that you don't have to have every tool ready to go at all times. Make mounting points for your grider and vise and whatnot so you can pull them out and bolt them to the table when needed and remove and tuck away when not.
That's actually a good idea, but what's the best way to go about creating mounting points on the workbench?

I'm thinking of something like this- a metal threaded insert that I can drill into the top of my workbench. Something that'll allow me to just bolt-in, then bolt-out any bench top device without damaging the wood each time. Does anything like the below photo exist for wood? I really wish I knew how to describe what I'm looking for more effectively.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 28, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

A T Nut or a threaded insert for wood will do that. I would probably just through bolt it because :effort: and I don't know how strong those inserts are.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Galler posted:

I would probably just through bolt it because :effort: and I don't know how strong those inserts are.

For wood, this is the way to go. Works great for my reloading press.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Whoh. So those inserts do exist. I guess I'll give both the T Nut and the thread inserts a shot.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

melon cat posted:

Whoh. So those inserts do exist. I guess I'll give both the T Nut and the thread inserts a shot.

They use them all the time on flat-pack particleboard furniture, but bolting through gives you the full benefit of using washers to spread the load.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

eddiewalker posted:

They use them all the time on flat-pack particleboard furniture, but bolting through gives you the full benefit of using washers to spread the load.
Pardon my ignorance here, but when you say "bolting through" you just mean drilling a pilot hole then screwing in an appropriate bolt, right? No inserts- just hole, bolt + washer. Or is there more to it than that?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 28, 2014

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006
I assume he means drilling a hole, putting a bolt all the way through, and securing it with a nut on the bottom using washers on both sides. My dad made some cheap bench vise mounts by putting bolts through from the bottom and gluing them in place so you can drop the vise on and secure the nuts from the top quickly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Medicinal Penguin posted:

I assume he means drilling a hole, putting a bolt all the way through, and securing it with a nut on the bottom using washers on both sides. My dad made some cheap bench vise mounts by putting bolts through from the bottom and gluing them in place so you can drop the vise on and secure the nuts from the top quickly.

This, it's how I have my bench grinder mounted. You don't worry about having the threads engage the wood, you just spread the load around the other side of it with a nice big fender washer.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
As in, just a bolt all the way through a hole in the table. Nut on the bolt. Maybe make that a wingnut for quick removal.

Another option, if your tools have the same spacing on their mounting holes, is installing bolts through the table, threads-up like studs. Set your tool on the studs, apply washers and wingnuts.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Vise chat: I built my workbench to fit in a specific spot, so my dimensions were kind of dictated by that. I was given a 5 1/2 inch Wilton vise that weighs about a thousand pounds, so I needed to make sure it was anchored well. Since I overbuilt the poo poo out of my bench (4x4 legs instead of the suggested 2x4), I had to go pretty far in from the corner if I wanted to do a straight through. I ended up using 3 monster lag bolts into the perimeter and leg and 1 shorter hex bolt through just the top of the bench. I limited myself on ever swapping out the vise for a grinder or anything like that, but it's definitely as sturdy as I'll ever need it to be and I can pivot it around the corner of the bench if I need to (swivel base).

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Since I overbuilt the poo poo out of my bench (4x4 legs instead of the suggested 2x4),

No, I overbuilt the poo poo out of my bench (actually, both my bench and my dad's bench)... my parents built a log home about 15 years ago and I used some of the scrap 4x8 lumber for the uprights and cross bracing. They are absurdly heavy. Like 400lb++ for 10' benches. As soon as I get my garage cleaned up, I'll post a couple pics.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 28, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Thinking about this more if I was going to drill a bunch of holes in a workbench to mount tools I would do it in a standardized way. I would take a 1/2" or 5/8ths inch sheet of plywood and cut it into maybe 10" x 10" or 12" x 12" squares and drill a standardized bolt pattern around the outside edge and a matching bolt pattern through the workbench. Each tool (vise, bench grinder, etc.) would get its own square which it would be mounted to resulting in something like this (looking at it from the bottom side):

SketchUp is being a bitch so just imagine there's a bolt going though a large washer, through the shape, and through the mounting holes of a vise on the other side with a nut holding it all together. These plywood 'plates' would be left attached to the tool. Then when you wanted to use the tool you would just set it on the workbench, line up the outer holes, and drop a bolt through each hole (or every other one depending on how well it needs to be mounted) all the way through the table and then stick a washer and nut on to secure it. Hopefully that makes sense.

End result would be that you don't end up with a bunch of holes scattered all over your workbench to account for every tool you might want to mount and the plywood will help distribute the load so your bench top doesn't get beat up as bad.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I really like this idea (and thanks for the picture and all). Would it be feasible to build some hangers on the side of my workbench, so whenever I'm not using a specific bench-top tool I can just hang it? And is there anything I need to know about drilling in a proper countersink hole, or is it just a matter of getting the right drill bit?

I'll post up whatever monstrosity of workbench I end up making this Summer! :)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I can't believe that no one has mentioned the trailer hitch mounts that are all the rage on garage journal. I've got one on my bench and it's great. I can also mount my tools on either my front or rear hitch on my truck, which is a nice touch.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

meatpimp posted:

No, I overbuilt the poo poo out of my bench (actually, both my bench and my dad's bench)... my parents built a log home about 15 years ago and I used some of the scrap 4x8 lumber for the uprights and cross bracing. They are absurdly heavy. Like 400lb++ for 10' benches. As soon as I get my garage cleaned up, I'll post a couple pics.

Gat drat! Alright, I'd say you've got me beat there.

Scrounged up some pictures from when I built mine:

It's currently covered in tools, rags, cans of solvents, parts, etc.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I need a ladder and don't have a truck to get one with. I'm seriously considering ordering one on Amazon ( :effort: ). Plus, they're like $90 cheaper than at Home Depot. Anyway, a 16 ft extension ladder should work for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Werner-D1116-2-200-Pound-Aluminum-Extension/dp/B00004RKBX/ref=sr_1_4

But one of these folding ladder would be useful around the house:
http://www.amazon.com/Platform-Multi-Purpose-Folding-Aluminum-Ladder/dp/B00A8UWYHO/ref=sr_1_2

Should I be worried about using the folding ladder extended to 15.5 ft to get on the roof and clean gutters? I used a friend's brother's once (that was a bit shorter) as a step ladder and it seemed solid enough. Definitely would be too scared to use it like a scaffold.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I have a folding ladder similar to that. It is perfectly safe when extended straight out but it has a lot more flex to it than an extension ladder usually does which can be unnerving when up that high.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Well, it's a one story house, so I only need like 10 ft to get to the roof, if that. I need to fix something on the side of the house that is 12 ft up, so need something a little longer to reach that, but it's a one time deal. I think I'll go for it.

Thanks.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Uthor posted:

Well, it's a one story house, so I only need like 10 ft to get to the roof, if that. I need to fix something on the side of the house that is 12 ft up, so need something a little longer to reach that, but it's a one time deal. I think I'll go for it.

Thanks.

Anyone else get self-conscious about the weird stuff your residential UPS driver has to deliver?

Ladders, 50lb bags of dog food, tires, 24-roll packs of toilet paper with a shipping label taped on. With Prime, the brown truck stops at my door like every other day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Most of my stuff is comic books in boxes, so he doesn't know my secret shame.

But he (and Amazon) probably think I own a Grand Am after this last month: my coworker doesn't have a credit card and had me buying parts for his car with my card. Made about $20 between him tipping me and Amazon rewards!

(Who the hell thinks spending $300 on a stock '04 Grand Am AM/FM/CD radio is worth it?! Tried to talk him out of that one.)

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So my Dad gave me some Dewalt 18V batteries. And now I'm eyeing this: http://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DW059B-Bare-Tool-18-Volt-Cordless/dp/B002VWK5R8/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1399037775&sr=1-1&keywords=dw059

I'd like to get the little impact driver as well. But I can't decide on whether I want the 3/8s drive or the 1/2 inch.

3/8: http://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DC823B-Bare-Tool-18-Volt-Cordless/dp/B002VWK5QE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399037923&sr=8-1&keywords=DC823

1/2: http://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DC820B-...s=dewalt+impact

Is the 3/8s more convenient? The 1/2 has a higher torque rating. 1,740 inch-pounds vs 1,500 inch-pounds.

What would you guys choose and why?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

1/2" because torque. And I think 1/2" impact sockets are easier to come by.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Update on the lovely Ryobi battery saga - the third and final Ryobi battery for my cordless angle grinder has croaked. Claims it's charged, it isn't, blueballs me 1/8" into cutting a bolt.

gently caress them and gently caress all their batteries. And their bullshit warranty weaseling.

For those listening in from home, I bought the drat thing in summer 2012. Some of the batteries had failed by spring 2013 and I was told to gently caress off when I tried to use the 3 year warranty because I hadn't registered them on their website. The last one just kicked it... still under warranty, except not. :argh:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

After you warned me about Ryobi I phoned and checked about my battery and drill/vacuum. The battery only gets a 90 day warranty (I bet I could challenge this in the UK) and there's nothing required for the tool 2 year warranty, though I've got a photocopy & the original receipt in the tool bag just in case, no registry required.

lovely service you're getting though, I don't blame you for hating them.

Unrelated, I got a bit of a windfall, amongst ordering £150~ of poo poo from Amazon are there any tools I really need but didn't realise?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Unrelated, I got a bit of a windfall, amongst ordering £150~ of poo poo from Amazon are there any tools I really need but didn't realise?
Do you have a hammer-actuated impact driver, a decent breaker bar, some Plusgas, Loctite "lipsticks" of locking compound and a good inspection lamp?

I have a discount thing for Machine Mart this weekend. Need to sort out a shopping list myself.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
What's a good cordless impact, anyway? That Dewalt one looks good, but I know nothing about them.

Last weekend I got to use my brother-in-law's cordless impact (SnapOn brand)* to replace the struts on my wife's car. Holy crap is that an amazing tool. Obviously, I know what an impact is and I've seen them used dozens of times, but having actually used one for once... and now I've got to have one.

Thing is, I wouldn't be using it often. Cordless is convenient, but would the batteries hold up to sitting on the charger all the time only to be used once a month, if that? Would I be better off with a corded version? I am looking for a good cordless drill, too, if that matters. Still, it'd not be used like every day or anything.

Honestly, I'm needing a tool fix :v:

*An aside, I looked like a scrub bringing a four way to a mechanic's house :v:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

What's a good cordless impact, anyway? That Dewalt one looks good, but I know nothing about them.

Last weekend I got to use my brother-in-law's cordless impact (SnapOn brand)* to replace the struts on my wife's car. Holy crap is that an amazing tool. Obviously, I know what an impact is and I've seen them used dozens of times, but having actually used one for once... and now I've got to have one.

Thing is, I wouldn't be using it often. Cordless is convenient, but would the batteries hold up to sitting on the charger all the time only to be used once a month, if that? Would I be better off with a corded version? I am looking for a good cordless drill, too, if that matters. Still, it'd not be used like every day or anything.

Honestly, I'm needing a tool fix :v:

*An aside, I looked like a scrub bringing a four way to a mechanic's house :v:
I wholeheartedly recommend this, it's amazing:

Krakkles posted:

Bought one of these: Milwaukee M18 Fuel High Torque 1/2" Impact Wrench.

Holy crap, best tool ever. It's really nice having it just happily pop bolts off in the junkyard rather than struggle with them. The nut busting torque is insane. It's also nice because it's two-mode, so you can switch it to a lower torque setting if you're tightening bolts. Also, the impact action doesn't begin until the wrench detects resistance, so even in the high-torque mode it's a nice fast electric motor that spins nuts down without breaking anything.

If you want to buy one, you can get a bare tool, charger, and two batteries on ebay for less than the cost of the (tool/charger/battery) kit.
In general, I've always thought it was fine to leave it on the charger. I don't really know, though.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Krakkles posted:

In general, I've always thought it was fine to leave it on the charger. I don't really know, though.

Sweet. As far as charging goes, I'd always heard that, too... but then I've also heard that even on a trickle charge it'll slowly kill off the batteries. I dunno, maybe batteries in general are all a losing game?

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

Krakkles posted:

This is the correct answer. I have the same one, and I giggle like a little girl every time I use it. It's fantastic. I bought it as a bare tool because I had other m18 tools, and it's much cheaper that way. You can piece it together with an eBay battery and the chargers are dirt cheap.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

QuarkMartial posted:

Sweet. As far as charging goes, I'd always heard that, too... but then I've also heard that even on a trickle charge it'll slowly kill off the batteries. I dunno, maybe batteries in general are all a losing game?

The lithium batteries lose almost no charge while sitting. Also, the batteries have a gauge on them, so you'll know if it's discharging.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

eddyc49 posted:

The lithium batteries lose almost no charge while sitting. Also, the batteries have a gauge on them, so you'll know if it's discharging.

So just charge it up and let it sit in or out of the tool?

All I do is rotate my tires, so maybe it's overkill. Then again, I try to do as much as my own work as possible...

E: Is their cordless ratchet also a good tool? That's something else that would've been handy to have.

I recognize the brand, but it's one of those things where I have no clue if the quality is as good as it used to be.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 3, 2014

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

What's a good cordless impact

I've been using a Makita 18V LXT for about three years on the job daily without issues. It takes little to no upkeep to stay running as if it were brand new, and hasn't shown any signs of failure yet. I loved it so much, I bought one for home use as well; it beats having to run hose from the air compressor for small jobs, and is small enough to often fit where my giant ingerscroll rand gun won't.

At home, I'm in a similar charging situation; as long as you have one of the better brands, their chargers usually top off the batteries, then trickle-charge as needed, so no worries there.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Best vice grips ever

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

Update on the lovely Ryobi battery saga - the third and final Ryobi battery for my cordless angle grinder has croaked. Claims it's charged, it isn't, blueballs me 1/8" into cutting a bolt.

gently caress them and gently caress all their batteries. And their bullshit warranty weaseling.
I was on the fence about Ryobi, but after hearing a story like this from a poster as helpful as yourself it's definitely made any future buying decisions a lot easier.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Wasabi the J posted:

Best vice grips ever

They're awesome, but still massive finger-smashers.
I'm a sucker for the Knipex Cobras
http://smile.amazon.com/Knipex-8701250-10-Inch-Cobra-Pliers/dp/B000X4J2H0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399088076&sr=8-2&keywords=knipex+cobra
Which will also smash fingers, but slightly less.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
This is a really fun tool review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR32-z5s7aU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

melon cat posted:

I was on the fence about Ryobi, but after hearing a story like this from a poster as helpful as yourself it's definitely made any future buying decisions a lot easier.
Yeah, I've had no desire to buy Ryobi after hearing what he's said. It makes a definite difference!