Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Slavvy posted:

I think part of the issue is that you were driving the bike instead of riding it :v:

Honestly, that sounds like a pretty poo poo situation. I have two questions: why were you not wearing slightly more adequate gear, and how did you not see a gigantic puddle that hydroplaned your bike? I'm assuming you were riding in a straight line; if you were doing 50mph in the drowning rain on a twisty road on a v-star then god help you.

I keep putting off leg protection, because I am dumb and do dumb tings apparently.

As for missing the puddle, I honestly just didn't see it. I dunno what I was thinking but I let my attention lapse and I guess I wasn't being as observant as I should have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Lowsided on a mini roundabout today. It was wet, I slipped on a white paint arrow going ~10mph. Roundabout was busy so it was a bit embarrassing to be honest. The metal bar end and the rear brake pedal took the fall. Bar end is only scratched up but the rear brake pedal is all sorts of bent. Still usable just not a lot of surface area to push on. I'll try to bend it back out tomorrow.

No personal injuries. My foot took some of the weight of the bike as it's a bit sore. I think my boots stopped that from being any worse (ATGATT). Right side of my leg is also a bit sore from where I hit the ground.

Totally avoidable if I were just a bit more cautious of white lines in the wet.

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 25, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah, those things are terrible when wet. Slick as gooseshit because they're basically plastic. Good to hear you and the bike didn't get too banged up!

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I have to admit that this thread taught me to be wary of reflective road paint when I first started riding. I always tiptoe over that stuff even when dry after seeing how oily water beads so easily on top of it.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

There's a corner in my hometown that they've got a great combo going on with that road paint stuff - Pedestrian crossing, 2x steel grates to get into the sewer. Oh, they painted the sewer grates with that white paint, and they're mid-corner. It's a delightful little corner.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
After a long as hell 9 hour day riding hole ridden, gravelly, and just plain lovely logging roads on street tires; I succumbed to target fixation while going around a corner at like 25km/h and wiped out pretty good. The shift lever, which as you know usually points forwards, was bent 180* backwards and overtop of the left peg.

Kicked the lever roughly back into position, yanked on the handlebars till the forks were straight again, rode it the remaining 140km home. :black101:

Bike is fine aside from needing the lever hammered back into shape, though I feel like someone hit me with a sledgehammer just above my left hip where I hit the road. Morale of the story: While riding logging roads on street tires is great for practice, don't do it for excessively long periods of time.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

A gravel parking lot and apparently stupidity (I'm still not entirely sure what went wrong other than I obviously wasn't being careful enough on the gravel) led to a low-speed drop that barely scratched the bike. It also led to four broken ribs on my right side. Ouch.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Ouch, that's the kind of crash where you'd rather the bike took the brunt of the damage since it can be fixed or replaced with money. Good luck with your recovery, I've heard ribs are a bitch when they're healing.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.

apseudonym posted:

I have to say I'm a little spooked riding right now which is natural but loving annoying. Instadumping like that has completely shot my confidence on how I judge how much traction I have.

I hear you, buddy.

I sold my 1980 CB250 last summer and just picked up a modern ZZR 600. I've spent a couple of weeks getting used to having much more power and weight and I've really enjoyed it. However...

To add further to the current trend of rain-related drops: I was approaching an isolated stoplight on a country road (there's a sharp single lane S-bend that traffic is controlled each way on). I knew the light would change before I got to it, so I decided to practice an emergency stop in the rain because, hey, that's a skill worth mastering. I slowed down from 50, gradually increasing pressure on the front brake (should've been using at least some rear!).

I got down to about 2-3mph and the front wheel suddenly slipped out to the left without warning. Luckily, I somehow got my right foot down, caught the bike and wrestled it upright again before it hit the ground, though it was at about a a 70 degree lean. I put not dropping it down to luck and adrenaline! No injuries to me or the bike.

Lesson: use your rear brake more in the rain.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Here's where I out myself as a complete loving retard. (albeit a now-learned and more cautious one)

So. Brand new 2014 DRZ400SM, right? Rolled out of the dealership today with nothing more than my ATGATT and 16 hours of riding experience (MSF).

Was a 23 mile trek home and at about 14 miles in on the way to a turn I misjudged stopping distance and survival instincts kicked in. I panicked and grabbed the front which ended up in a front flip with the back of the bike coming down on me sideways and pinning me to the ground. Happened in a flash of an eye from "oh I'm kinda going a little too fast" to "oh well now this is an ordeal" with the bike on top of me.

So I pick it up with some help and shuffle it off to the sidewalk to wait for roadside to tow me home.

Damage: Bent Clutch Lever,
Scraping on headlight fairing,
Headlight assembly mounting bracket bent,
Scraping on rear center fender fairing,
Bent Throttle bar end weight screw,
Dislodged taillight (still operational, just needed a knut tightened)
Lots of embarassment at doing something so stupid (no bodily harm)

I get towed home. Show my dad "hey look, this awesome as gently caress bike still purrs even though it just did a ninja front flip".

We're leaving to go for my birthday dinner so I go take a quick little ride through the neighborhood before we go. I misjudged a turn and thought I could just lean turn through but quickly ran out of space. I panicked a little and ended up revving up the throttle on accident and basically clotheslined myself with my neighbor's metal mail box.

Damage: obliterated mail box,
Front right axle slider broken (screw bent and it fell out),
Now my right mirror is scraped up to match the left from the ninja flip.

End result: I bought a used bike for new price.

Man, I am so loving dumb and now understand just how much practice I really need to become competent rider. The difference between real life riding and MSF is so stark it's amazing. But really the flaw here was that I was riding WAY out of my skills/ability. I definitely should have gotten the bike delivered to my home and taken it VERY easy practicing the basics again instead of the incredibly dumb and dangerous poo poo I did today.

Lesson learned. I love this loving bike though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Well, if you are going to crash a new bike, a DRZ 400 SM is a smart choice.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

:pwn: Jeez man, I'm glad you're okay but take it easy! Fool around in a few parking lots to regain MSF feel and get tuned in to your throttle and all that.

Sorry, but I'm chuckling at how concerned you were with breaking in the engine, all things considered :v:

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

That's why if anyone I ever meet expresses an interest in motorcycling I will always tell them not to buy a new bike as their first. I made that same mistake where I bought new and wrecked, luckily when I'd normally say no to extras, I'd opted to include Guaranteed Asset Protection in my financing so the whole thing got paid off.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Maybe you shouldn't ride.

What has your family said.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

:pwn: Jeez man, I'm glad you're okay but take it easy! Fool around in a few parking lots to regain MSF feel and get tuned in to your throttle and all that.

Sorry, but I'm chuckling at how concerned you were with breaking in the engine, all things considered :v:

Dude I know right? Hello, least of my worries.
I can't decide whether to laugh at how dumb I am or cry at what did to my gorgeous bike

@nsap: my dad just said "be more careful, slow down"

Razzled fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 3, 2014

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
At least you didn't crash turning out of the dealership :v:

Glad to hear you are alright. Spend some time in the parking lot before you ride on the street

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

hot sauce posted:

At least you didn't crash turning out of the dealership :v:

Glad to hear you are alright. Spend some time in the parking lot before you ride on the street

Yep. I was stupid and gave in to my friends giving me poo poo over my initial idea of getting it delivered to my house so I could practice in the parking lot of the school next to my neighborhood.

Driving off the lot with only the MSF course for riding experience (which was almost a month ago) was an incredibly dumb decision and I'm glad the bike and I are both OK despite my mistakes.

I'm gonna slow down and learn properly how to ride safely. And do what *I* know is right, not give in to dumb rear end poo poo like peer pressure.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Razzled posted:

I can't decide whether to laugh at how dumb I am or cry at what did to my gorgeous bike

Character.

I'm glad you're ok and so very ready to jump right back on the fucker. Check and make sure you didn't tweak the forks or anything.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Razzled posted:

Yep. I was stupid and gave in to my friends giving me poo poo over my initial idea of getting it delivered to my house so I could practice in the parking lot of the school next to my neighborhood.

Driving off the lot with only the MSF course for riding experience (which was almost a month ago) was an incredibly dumb decision and I'm glad the bike and I are both OK despite my mistakes.

I'm gonna slow down and learn properly how to ride safely. And do what *I* know is right, not give in to dumb rear end poo poo like peer pressure.

Invest in a set of case protectors like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRZ400-and-KLX400-Engine-Case-Guards-/281028595452 and get better axle sliders then the OEM ones, also file off the sharp edges on the back of the shift lever, then continue to enjoy dropping your DRZ and just picking it back up again and riding off.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

echomadman posted:

Invest in a set of case protectors like these http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRZ400-and-KLX400-Engine-Case-Guards-/281028595452 and get better axle sliders then the OEM ones, also file off the sharp edges on the back of the shift lever, then continue to enjoy dropping your DRZ and just picking it back up again and riding off.

Nice, will do. Are those case guards better or equal to the ones ThumperTalk sells?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Razzled posted:

Here's where I out myself as a complete loving retard. (albeit a now-learned and more cautious one)

So. Brand new 2014 DRZ400SM, right? Rolled out of the dealership today with nothing more than my ATGATT and 16 hours of riding experience (MSF).

Was a 23 mile trek home and at about 14 miles in on the way to a turn I misjudged stopping distance and survival instincts kicked in. I panicked and grabbed the front which ended up in a front flip with the back of the bike coming down on me sideways and pinning me to the ground. Happened in a flash of an eye from "oh I'm kinda going a little too fast" to "oh well now this is an ordeal" with the bike on top of me.

So I pick it up with some help and shuffle it off to the sidewalk to wait for roadside to tow me home.

Damage: Bent Clutch Lever,
Scraping on headlight fairing,
Headlight assembly mounting bracket bent,
Scraping on rear center fender fairing,
Bent Throttle bar end weight screw,
Dislodged taillight (still operational, just needed a knut tightened)
Lots of embarassment at doing something so stupid (no bodily harm)

I get towed home. Show my dad "hey look, this awesome as gently caress bike still purrs even though it just did a ninja front flip".

We're leaving to go for my birthday dinner so I go take a quick little ride through the neighborhood before we go. I misjudged a turn and thought I could just lean turn through but quickly ran out of space. I panicked a little and ended up revving up the throttle on accident and basically clotheslined myself with my neighbor's metal mail box.

Damage: obliterated mail box,
Front right axle slider broken (screw bent and it fell out),
Now my right mirror is scraped up to match the left from the ninja flip.

End result: I bought a used bike for new price.

Man, I am so loving dumb and now understand just how much practice I really need to become competent rider. The difference between real life riding and MSF is so stark it's amazing. But really the flaw here was that I was riding WAY out of my skills/ability. I definitely should have gotten the bike delivered to my home and taken it VERY easy practicing the basics again instead of the incredibly dumb and dangerous poo poo I did today.

Lesson learned. I love this loving bike though.

At least you're only out maybe $300. Be careful and remember to countersteer/shift your weight/look into turns.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Wow that's something else. Cannot believe there is not more goon rage about your inability to ride a motorcycle.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Riding's not for everyone.

Also, I missed the posts where Razzle was asking for advice on what bike to buy, being told to buy used, completely ignoring that and then sperging about engine break-in interval. I assume they exist?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Were those both in the same day, Razzled?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

Wow that's something else. Cannot believe there is not more goon rage about your inability to ride a motorcycle.

No poo poo dude I said it as nice as possible.

If you buy a new bike and crash twice immediately maybe you shouldn't ride.

Stop riding you're going to die you dummy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't think this is a question of riding ability at all. I think he's someone who makes absolutely terrible financial decisions which is how he's ended up crashlearning on a brand new bike. Riding skill has little to nothing to do with it; if he had told us the exact same story but it was a 1993 GS500 noone would bat an eyelid.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Really? I bought an old GS500 and crashed it twice immediately wouldn't raise an eyebrow? Bullshit. I'd have the same response. It's just added dumb-sauce that he bought a new bike.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I suggest you take a few more lessons before venturing out on your own again, Razzled.

probably drunk
Dec 25, 2009

by Lowtax
I think you should ride it to a bar on the other side of town, drink about 10 beers and drive it home tonight.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

n8r posted:

I'm just trying to not be the guy who posts that mootmoot.gif :colbert:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
One time I took too much ambien and I woke up a few hours later about 30 miles from home on a friends couch. I decided I was going to ride my bike across the country and stopped there to see if he wanted to go. It was snowing out.

That is still better decision making skills than Razzled.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Geez Razzled, you dumbass-crashed your brand new bike TWICE literally within hours of picking it up?

I was going to say "MSF training now!", but I think what you need is a normal sense of self-preservation and some basic motor skills.

Did you parents have to put a helmet on you 24/7 as a kid, just to prevent you from killing yourself too badly?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

EX250 Type R posted:

One time I took too much ambien and I woke up a few hours later about 30 miles from home on a friends couch. I decided I was going to ride my bike across the country and stopped there to see if he wanted to go. It was snowing out.

That is still better decision making skills than Razzled.

Need I bring up ambien walrus again? I think all fellow ambien users have been in a similar situation. I moved to Lunesta...

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Fair is fair guys, I swear it'll get better though. Just gotta start out a little slower.

quote:

Also, I missed the posts where Razzle was asking for advice on what bike to buy, being told to buy used, completely ignoring that and then sperging about engine break-in interval. I assume they exist?

I honestly did try to buy used. But it just wasn't happening (a lot of seller reneging) so after checking the numbers to see if I could afford it I just went new.

You guys are definitely right to suggest I shouldn't be riding, since what happened yesterday is definitely not normal. I really do think that I can learn to be a decent rider eventually. I just really need to practice in earnest in parking lots and poo poo. Like I said, I had like a total of 16 hours of riding experience before this which is something I just can't help (experience takes time). Where I will agree I am a major gently caress up is the decision making area, nowhere in all of that did I make a good decision besides wearing all my gear. But that is something I believe I can improve/change (and I really really want to do that).

I'm serious when I say that if in 2-3 months of practicing the MSF drills and stuff it's just not working out I swear I'll get off the road and back into my retard-box.

Razzled fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 3, 2014

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
These guys don't seem to realise that someone has to buy new bikes every now and again so they can eventually get them second hand.

You'll be fine, you're on an ideal bike for making noob mistakes, i took my DRZ on a dirt bmx track today and dumped it over a berm, laughed and picked it up and kept going. Bent the threaded bar holding my front slider a bit, hammered it back straight when i got home.

Just wear all your gear so you dont gently caress yourself up too badly in a a fall and take it easy until you're used to it.
Developing the situational awareness to ride properly takes seat time, when you start off you're still being overwhelmed by the all the unfamiliar control inputs and the feedback from the bike. Hours of parking lot drills and quiet backroad riding will build up your bike muscle memory and then you'll be able to devote all your attention to the road.
Do it by yourself though, you sound young and its hard to resist showing off a bit if you're with your peers.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

echomadman posted:

These guys don't seem to realise that someone has to buy new bikes every now and again so they can eventually get them second hand.

People who already know how to ride can buy bikes new.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Don't be discouraged razzled. Everyone makes questionable financial decisions against all advisory at many points in their life. Especially when they are young. Really, I don't think your choice was so bad. If it was a bike with a fairing you just destroyed or chrome that is dented and scratched, yeah buying new and wrecking it right after is laugh worthy. But you bought a sumo so whatever. In a year you'll have more scuffs and experiences and noone would look twice. Aren't dirtbike plastics super cheap/meant to be plastidipped anyway? You have a sweet bike set up like you want with a new engine that you know the history of. That's a huge factor in buying something new, and you still have that. If you neglect the engine or mechanics of the bike, then you are a moron for buying new.

And take it easy. It really takes a while of practice and normal riding to build up riding ability. Be patient, it comes on slower than you'd like. I'm glad you are ok and had gear on.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
It was only a Suzuki.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
You already saved yourself from horrible experiences just by riding ATGATT. Definitely just take some time to get used to the bike though, it sounds like you're kinda rushing it. DRZ was the perfect "not an old piece of poo poo" learner bike for me and the same should be true for basically everyone else. Get those TT case guards, buy/make axle sliders, Zeta metal handguards and make sure nothing in your front end is tweaked from your supermoto ownership experiences. Like everyone has already said you picked the right bike to crash.

Edit: Next time you crash you should probably just call it for the day. Alternatively go buy a CRF250 USED and go ride dirt and eat poo poo over and over and over and that's totally fine.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

It was only a Suzuki.

:smithmouth:

• Locked thread