Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Goddamn why is everyone and their mother suddenly playing casters. :argh:

Also Ruin Sentinels suck as magic user.

Probably just people wanting a change of pace? I get the impression a lot of people did mostly melee in DS1 and some have had enough time to finish melee playthroughs of DS2 by now. There's a lot of interesting spells to play with and it has a few different challenges to it.

And yes, yes they do suck until you get someone to tank them for you or you get really good at timing your dodges vs spell casts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
No seriously I'm sunbroing the sentinels and 7 out of 8 people so far have been casters. That die to the sentinels in one hit.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Also Ruin Sentinels suck as magic user.

Nothing the Avelyn can't solve

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

No seriously I'm sunbroing the sentinels and 7 out of 8 people so far have been casters. That die to the sentinels in one hit.

Part of that is probably them going a little too far into the "glass cannon" territory. I played a caster, but still wore actual armor and invested some points into vigor. The sentinels hit me hard and I couldn't really solo them, but they never one-shot me.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Because it's a fun, viable build and also because I can finally play as Kazaam. I just need a turban from somewhere.

Not getting the complaints about difficulty in this game, though. I mean, there are a few bullshit areas bonfire with three crossbow dudes next to it, for example, but overall I think it's considerably easier. Maybe it's just from having done so much co-op, but even the areas I flew through solo seemed like they were tuned much tighter than the first game around. If anything, I feel like the developers made a game that pretty much gave fans what they expected, and as a result, there's much less of the surprise elements that were in Dark Souls 1. Now, that doesn't mean I think one is "better" than the others, because they both have their strong and weak points, but it's simply a "thing" with the franchise now than being a new and mysterious experience since the first one became such a surprise hit.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I want to do my NG+ run as a caster and make up a rule not to use any of the weapons or armor that I used in my mostly sword & board NG run. It looks like they've added a fuckton of new spells so I'm excited to try them out.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

Because it's a fun, viable build and also because I can finally play as Kazaam. I just need a turban from somewhere.

Not getting the complaints about difficulty in this game, though. I mean, there are a few bullshit areas bonfire with three crossbow dudes next to it, for example, but overall I think it's considerably easier. Maybe it's just from having done so much co-op, but even the areas I flew through solo seemed like they were tuned much tighter than the first game around. If anything, I feel like the developers made a game that pretty much gave fans what they expected, and as a result, there's much less of the surprise elements that were in Dark Souls 1. Now, that doesn't mean I think one is "better" than the others, because they both have their strong and weak points, but it's simply a "thing" with the franchise now than being a new and mysterious experience since the first one became such a surprise hit.

The Leydia Black Hood (a drop from the witches in Undead Crypt) kind of looks turban-ish. :)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
How do you get down to the fire salamander pit? I heard the Iron Key opens a door down to it but I can't find it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The iron key is way farther down a different branch of the game.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

attackmole posted:

How do you get down to the fire salamander pit? I heard the Iron Key opens a door down to it but I can't find it.

The door is in the hallway that leads to the Last Giant boss room. It's on the left if you're heading towards where the boss would be. If you're talking about the key, that's in Iron Keep on corpse under a flame trap.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

attackmole posted:

You can survive the drop with either the cat ring you buy from the cat or with enough health with no armor. Drop onto the trash pile in the back of the room.

fake edit: I read that wrong. :saddowns:

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

My biggest problem with the game is tied into the despawning enemies. There are sections where the game just throws a gently caress ton of enemies to fight through in areas that lead up to bosses, like the Ruin Sentinels or the Chariot. I highly doubt you'd see this type of annoying enemy placement if enemies didn't despawn after a while. It just feels really monotonous in some of these areas where just running past the enemies and rushing the boss will likely get you killed, so you're just better off whittling them down each time. Even annoying parts of Dark Souls, like the run to Bed of Chaos, were lengthy but at least relatively frustration free...until you missed your jump and had to run back to BoC again.

Still really enjoying the game but I definitely have a sense of monotony drudging through areas more often than I did with DS1, and this is with a game with fast travel and plenty of travelable locations, though that's probably more of an area design thing.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 3, 2014

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I'm getting completely denied trying to defeat the Executioner's Chariot. Out of 6 summons, two have been crushed by the horse as it crashes through the gate, one had fallen off the bridge leading up to the arena, another had died fighting the skeletons, and the last two went straight across the main path in huntsman's copse into the caves without me, blindly going the opposite direction.
:negative:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Sivek posted:

My biggest problem with the game is tied into the despawning enemies. There are sections where the game just throws a gently caress ton of enemies to fight through in areas that lead up to bosses, like the Ruin Sentinels or the Chariot. I highly doubt you'd see this type of annoying enemy placement if enemies didn't despawn after a while. It just feels really monotonous in some of these areas where just running past the enemies and rushing the boss will likely get you killed, so you're just better off whittling them down each time. Even annoying parts of Dark Souls, like the run to Bed of Chaos, were lengthy but at least relatively frustration free...until you missed your jump and had to run back to BoC again.

Still really enjoying the game but I definitely have a feeling of monotony drudging through areas more often than I did with DS1, and this is with a game with fast travel and plenty of travelable locations, though that's probably more of an area design thing.

In Lost Bastille you can literally run past all the swordsmen all the way to the boss fog and even still have time to summon a phantom and enter the fog, I don't know how far they pursue you but I never had any issues getting past if I didn't feel like fighting.

You can pull every enemy on the way to Executioner's Chariot solo or together with a basic hollow.

Always carry a basic bow and a stack of arrows.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Odobenidae posted:

I'm getting completely denied trying to defeat the Executioner's Chariot. Out of 6 summons, two have been crushed by the horse as it crashes through the gate, one had fallen off the bridge leading up to the arena, another had died fighting the skeletons, and the last two went straight across the main path in huntsman's copse into the caves without me, blindly going the opposite direction.

Do it without summons? Some bosses are generally easier with less people

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

Only summon right by the fog door if you just want them to fight the boss.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Foxhound posted:

In Lost Bastille you can literally run past all the swordsmen all the way to the boss fog and even still have time to summon a phantom and enter the fog, I don't know how far they pursue you but I never had any issues getting past if I didn't feel like fighting.

You can pull every enemy on the way to Executioner's Chariot solo or together with a basic hollow.

Always carry a basic bow and a stack of arrows.

Yeah, I know, but it's just a boring experience pulling enemies when you're on the 5th-6th attempt fighting the Chariot. It's not that isolating or having to dodge guys is hard, I just don't find it particularly fun to do after a couple of tries. I thought this type of repetition was avoided really well in Dark Souls.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

I've noticed that too and love it. Redeye ring, decent armor and a greatshield. Ya guys, go ahead and cast, I've got this.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
gently caress the Gutter, I lost ~30k souls from constantly finding new places where the floor collapses and one instance of being near the pots of equipment breaking juice when a dog somehow fell down a ladder hole and knocked me into them:argh:

Now I'm at the Black Gulch with 1820 souls and everything on my character broken.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I've noticed that too and love it. Redeye ring, decent armor and a greatshield. Ya guys, go ahead and cast, I've got this.

So have you seen how much damage they take from magic? :raise: The fight is only hard for casters because it's impossible to dodge three dudes and cast at the same time.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Haha getting upset over 30k souls.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Kimmalah posted:

So have you seen how much damage they take from magic? :raise: The fight is only hard for casters because it's impossible to dodge three dudes and cast at the same time.

Yes, they take a lot from magic. I was trying to say I like the fight because I enjoy tanking it for other casters.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Yes, they take a lot from magic. I was trying to say I like the fight because I enjoy tanking it for other casters.

In that case, I appreciate you guys who tank. :) I only got past that fight because of some very nice guy in heavy armor who distracted them enough for me to actually do some damage instead of dodging the whole time.

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Foxhound posted:

I must have gone the wrong way, or opening that gate to the left really screwed me over. I sprinted up the ladder and each time I ran through I'd have a soldier slashing at my back as I entered the fog door. Eventually I just exterminated so I could have a chance to summon.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

sakeyake posted:

I must have gone the wrong way, or opening that gate to the left really screwed me over. I sprinted up the ladder and each time I ran through I'd have a soldier slashing at my back as I entered the fog door. Eventually I just exterminated so I could have a chance to summon.

Well there's two swordsmen who hang out right in the middle of the hallway in front of the fog and will attack as soon as you come up that ladder or through the gate, so that guy's phantoms must summon a whole lot fast than mine.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

bef posted:

Do it without summons? Some bosses are generally easier with less people

The chariot isn't one of those, somebody to tank/split up the skeletons is very useful and the actual boss is easy even with more health. Though it's rear kick hitbox is way bigger then it should be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's kind of weird how soul spears don't replace arrows anymore in DS2. It goes soul arrow > great > heavy > great heavy, and you probably want both heavy and great heavy on you, but soul spears get a grand total of two shots out of it. I haven't tried it out yet though, how much damage does it effectively do compared to great heavy soul arrow?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Kimmalah posted:

Well there's two swordsmen who hang out right in the middle of the hallway in front of the fog and will attack as soon as you come up that ladder or through the gate, so that guy's phantoms must summon a whole lot fast than mine.

They are turned the other way so those two never attacked me. I wasn't clunking around at 80% weight though, that might have done it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

RBA Starblade posted:

It's kind of weird how soul spears don't replace arrows anymore in DS2. It goes soul arrow > great > heavy > great heavy, and you probably want both heavy and great heavy on you, but soul spears get a grand total of two shots out of it. I haven't tried it out yet though, how much damage does it effectively do compared to great heavy soul arrow?
I wouldn't want Heavy and Great Heavy because their cast animations take a year. Soul Spears have noticeably better damage, but are still limited on casts. You can make up for that shortcoming with all the different spell recovery items. Regardless, solid damage and fast cast speed are great to have.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Get the Hexer's Hood and keep raising your attunement stat, these will both give you more casts. You can also increase your casts by attuning multiples of the same spell. I know I had soul spear up to 8 casts by doing all that, which isn't on the level of soul arrows but is better.

Damage-wise it's a lot stronger than great heavy soul arrow, but obviously has less casts.

Foxhound posted:

They are turned the other way so those two never attacked me. I wasn't clunking around at 80% weight though, that might have done it.

I wasn't either, but they were usually right on me and definitely would not have given me enough time to summon anything.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RBA Starblade posted:

Great Soul Arrow is my favorite of the four. It actually does more damage than Heavy Soul Arrow, and doesn't suffer from the slow cast speed. Great Heavy does even more damage of course, but between the slower cast making it miss more, the smaller number of casts, and the greater potential for wasted overkill damage, it generally doesn't give me nearly as much damage per attunement slot as Great Soul Arrow does.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
EVEN THE LOW LEVEL BELLBROS ARE ALL CASTERS

What the poo poo :psyduck:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there a better hex for clearing out trash mobs than dark orb? It's nice but it doesn't quite pack enough punch to one shot the riff raff so I wind up running out too fast. Lightning Spear does the job usually, but I'm critically low on casts. Great Soul Arrow isn't helping much, either. I guess I could go with RS but that soul cost kinda stings and my only dark chime is an unupgraded idol's chime.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 3, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kimmalah posted:

Get the Hexer's Hood and keep raising your attunement stat, these will both give you more casts. You can also increase your casts by attuning multiples of the same spell. I know I had soul spear up to 8 casts by doing all that, which isn't on the level of soul arrows but is better.

I've been using the Black Hood for +2 int +2/fth and faster casting, how many more casts would it give alone? I have attunement at 30 at the moment. Also does anyone sell infinite of the cast recovery items?

quote:

Great Soul Arrow is my favorite of the four. It actually does more damage than Heavy Soul Arrow, and doesn't suffer from the slow cast speed.

Huh, I'll have to swap it out and see for myself. I guess regular soul arrows don't matter that much when I could just dark orb, but still. I also have a lightning spear, but really, I'm finding that there's no real need to have it between the soul arrows, great resonant soul, and itself except for the odd occasion where something's super resistant and firestorm/fire whip also won't cut it.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 3, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

EVEN THE LOW LEVEL BELLBROS ARE ALL CASTERS

What the poo poo :psyduck:

Like I said, it's probably a lot of people going "Hey I did a sword and shield guy in DS1, maybe I'll playing something different this time." Unless you're conflating things like clerics and sorcerors who both use types of magic.

For PvP specifically, I think word about hexes has really gotten out by now. :v:

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been using the Black Hood for +2 int +2/fth and faster casting, how many more casts would it give alone? I have attunement at 30 at the moment.

Huh, I'll have to swap it out and see for myself. I guess regular soul arrows don't matter that much when I could just dark orb, but still.

The Hexer's Hood increases your casts by 10% and adds +1 int/fth, so really you'd just be losing 1 point in those stats. I think when my attunement hit 35 or so, I ended up with 4 casts of soul spear. And I had two of them, so I could get up to 8 casts out of it.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 3, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Killed the last boss with 8 Greater Lightning Spears, and 3 Normal ones.

~SUN'D~

Now for NG+

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Like I said, it's probably a lot of people going "Hey I did a sword and shield guy in DS1, maybe I'll playing something different this time." Unless you're conflating things like clerics and sorcerors who both use types of magic.

For PvP specifically, I think word about hexes has really gotten out by now. :v:

I didn't notice as many casters when the game launched on PC. Guess it's only natural that people wanna do magic after swordmace and board. Still...

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I love these new huge mobs. But then I like heavy weapons with wide arcs and long range. You just get the enemies bunched up and tripping over each other with fancy foot work, and then nail like 5 of them with a single massive attack. If the enemies didn't despawn I'd probably kill those bastile knights every evening for post-work stress relief.

EDIT.

Also the problem with the difficulty is that the game is much more non-linear than DS1. So it is very easy to go into an area too early, struggle through it, get overleveled and then breath through the correct areas with no challenge.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I didn't notice as many casters when the game launched on PC. Guess it's only natural that people wanna do magic after swordmace and board. Still...

Well it's also been out long enough that a lot of people are probably either respeccing or or starting new characters. I don't know why that seems so weird?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Kimmalah posted:

Well it's also been out long enough that a lot of people are probably either respeccing or or starting new characters. I don't know why that seems so weird?

Dual wielding is attractive this time around, there's Pyromancy and all kinds of stuff yet I hardly see any dual wielders, pyromancers, clerics and so forth.