Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
This episode was really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I had high expectations already and it blew past all of it. That was fantastic. And they even kept the pose!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Nevermind!

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 2, 2014

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I think you posted in the wrong thread.

VVVVV: no biggie.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 2, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kurtofan posted:

I think you posted in the wrong thread.

Woops!

I did.

My apologies. :ohdear:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I do like how they're giving the rest of the cast time to shine here. This episode was basically The Avdol Show and he won fair and square, with Jotaro just popping in to clean up at the end.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.

Darth Walrus posted:

I do like how they're giving the rest of the cast time to shine here. This episode was basically The Avdol Show and he won fair and square, with Jotaro just popping in to clean up at the end.

Yeah, with this and kakyoin vs grey they're doing a much better job giving the whole crew their moments, unlike the first two parts where only the main jojo was allowed to actually win fights

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
At last the prologue is over, these JoJo chumps can go home. It's time for Polnareff's Bizarre Adventure. :france::hf::getin:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Doctor Zaius posted:

Yeah, with this and kakyoin vs grey they're doing a much better job giving the whole crew their moments, unlike the first two parts where only the main jojo was allowed to actually win fights

This is the best change from the first two arcs, and it is one of the major things that makes Jojo's Bizarre Adventure stand out.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

I'm choosing to believe that Joseph always had a stand during Battle Tendency but didn't realise it because there was never a situation where he had to punch a 30,000 yen camera.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Incidentally, since this episode showed Dio using Hermit Purple with a crystal ball, does that mean Joseph will end up doing something similar?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Now this is how you save anime. How do you take something as tired and cliché as explaining your goddamn STAND skills to the enemy and make it goofy, endearing and, let's be quite honest, a bit brilliant? I think it's not just that David Production gets JoJo; it's that they like the source, but decided to further study the source and said "Yeah, this is pretty ballin', but we can [DO BETTER]". Or at least they are going to try. And by jove, I'm going to enjoy seeing them do so.

The knights of the MAN table have assembled. Let's start this journey for realsies. :getin:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Broniki posted:

I'm choosing to believe that Joseph always had a stand during Battle Tendency but didn't realise it because there was never a situation where he had to punch a 30,000 yen camera.

They just didn't have 30,000 yen cameras back then. He discovered his stand the day after they were invented.

Also previous JoJos used Pounds Sterling or American Dollars, none of this Japanese funny money poo poo.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
Polnareff may be the best character in a show full of amazing characters.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gyges posted:

They just didn't have 30,000 yen cameras back then. He discovered his stand the day after they were invented.

Also previous JoJos used Pounds Sterling or American Dollars, none of this Japanese funny money poo poo.

He discovered his Stand because he was walking down a street when he was visiting for Holly's wedding, saw a camera in the store window, and was pissed off by the price so much that he immediately punched through the glass to destroy it.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

WickedHate posted:

He discovered his Stand because he was walking down a street when he was visiting for Holly's wedding, saw a camera in the store window, and was pissed off by the price so much that he immediately punched through the glass to destroy it.

I prefer to imagine Joseph just tripping and falling on some Japanese tourist and smashing their camera and a photo with a half-naked man popping out.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

A Meat posted:

I prefer to imagine Joseph just tripping and falling on some Japanese tourist and smashing their camera and a photo with a half-naked man popping out.

And Joseph yells "That's my Grandfather's body, you bastard!!!"

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

This soundtrack is amazing, I need it.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Then he kicks the tourist in the shin. Not because of the picture, but because he was Japanese.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Fantastic episode, especially the purple fire and Jotaro's face at Polnareff later.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Traveller posted:

Then he kicks the tourist in the shin. Not because of the picture, but because he was Japanese.

It's then that you realize that Joseph only tripped because a rope mysteriously appeared.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

"Ewwww, those tentacles are so gross!" - A man who fought and killed a roaming central nervous system

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
He is still trying to repress the memories of that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rhNdQMUMeg

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Shugojin posted:

"Ewwww, those tentacles are so gross!" - A man who fought and killed a roaming central nervous system
I loved that bit; it was such a drat Joseph reaction. In general I really like how Old Joseph still feels like Battle Tendency Joseph in his reactions and speech patterns.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Well drat

That last final sync, whoa.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Time for Stand Stats and Powers.

Stat Explanation
Star Platinum
Tower of Gray
Hermit Purple
Hierophant Green
Silver Chariot
Dark Blue Moon
Strength
Ebony Devil
Yellow Temperance
Emperor
Hanged Man
Empress

Today we have Muhammad Avdol and Magician's Red.

Stats

Destructive Power: Rank B
Speed: Rank B
Range: Rank C
Durability: Rank B
Precision: Rank C
Developmental Potential: Rank D

Abilities

Flame Manipulation: Generates and controls intense flames capable of melting steel within moments. It also has more nuanced uses, As Avdol can manipulate it without restraints from its size to its heat even making the flames more solid.

Crossfire Hurricane: A spectacular signature move that sends forth ankhs of flame in a great storm. A varation of the move can send the flames underground and pop them up when disired

Crossfire Hurricane Special: One variation of the Crossfire Hurricane, which splits the ankhs to cover a wider area.

Red Bind: Magician's Red can use his flame to tie his opponent, like a rope. With this Avdol is even capable of imprisoning his enemy's arms and legs to the wall, as well as his neck. By putting a flame too close to the opponent's face, it eventually burns the oxygen around him to the point of suffocating him.

Life Detector: Magician's Red can produce a "heat radar", a cruciform mass of psychic flame which flicker in response to enemy presence, indicating the location of his heat source based on a compass rose.

Pros and Cons

Pros
Flame manipulation is both very powerful and versatile.
Flames can not been seen by non stand users allowing him to be even more subtle.
Rind Bind's solid flames give even more abilities to this stand.

Cons
Can only control flames created by Magician's Red which can only go a certain distance.
More effective in open spaces then closed ones
Avdol is not immune to flames himself

Next Time Noriaki Kakyoin and Hierophant Green

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 21, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Pretty eerie to think that Dio almost possessed a guy who could burn people to death without anyone being aware they were even on fire.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

:eng101: The name Crossfire Hurricane is most likely a reference to the Rolling Stones song Jumpin' Jack Flash, which begins with the line "I was born in a crossfire hurricane."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Pretty eerie to think that Dio almost possessed a guy who could burn people to death without anyone being aware they were even on fire.

Stands are really hosed up if you think about it. People killed by Tower of Grey would just have their tongues mysteriously ripped out and people killed by Magician's Red would burn to death without visible flames.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Kanos posted:

Stands are really hosed up if you think about it. People killed by Tower of Grey would just have their tongues mysteriously ripped out and people killed by Magician's Red would burn to death without visible flames.

I think it was mentioned in this thread already, but a lot of Araki's ideas for Stand abilities come from ESP, unexplained phenomena, mysterious deaths, etc. since that was all the rage in the late 80s.

So the next time you read about spontaneous human combustion, you'll know there's a Stand user going around with an ability very similar to Magician's Red...

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

pandaK posted:

Well drat

This is amazing. I wouldn't mind at all if this somehow became the official OP.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ViggyNash posted:

Imaishi and Ohtsuka doing guest direction and animation on an episode of JJBA would be loving incredible.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
"Yare yare d-"
god loving drat it polnareff dont interrupt me while im saying my catchphrase

e: oh my god that Ambiguous x JJBASC works almost perfectly :shlick:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 3, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

pandaK posted:

Well drat

So that's two OPs that sync up with OPs from another anime for Jojo (for reference, Battle Tendency's Bloody Stream and Space Dandy's Viva Namida are quite interchangeable. Is there an OP that syncs with Phantom Blood's OP?

Also Stand Proud over KLK's second OP. Just for the curious. I'm sure someone could make a better synced version.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Well Manicured Man posted:

I think it was mentioned in this thread already, but a lot of Araki's ideas for Stand abilities come from ESP, unexplained phenomena, mysterious deaths, etc. since that was all the rage in the late 80s.

So the next time you read about spontaneous human combustion, you'll know there's a Stand user going around with an ability very similar to Magician's Red...

Also, horror films. Body horror is a jojo staple.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ViggyNash posted:

Then we'd miss star platinum's punches matching up with the bass guitar of stand proud...

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I get stupid hype every time Star Platinum and Jotaro swap in out and out over SUTANDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

I get stupid hype every time Star Platinum and Jotaro swap in out and out over SUTANDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Star Platinum's facial expressions and body language are a treat to the 9 year old in me. I don't know of it'd call it “stupid hype”, but it does make feel giddy about up-and-coming scuffles.

Of course, right now the stars of the evening are our chill-yet-hot-blooded Egyptian and The Master Fencer. :3:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

So that's two OPs that sync up with OPs from another anime for Jojo (for reference, Battle Tendency's Bloody Stream and Space Dandy's Viva Namida are quite interchangeable. Is there an OP that syncs with Phantom Blood's OP?

Also Stand Proud over KLK's second OP. Just for the curious. I'm sure someone could make a better synced version.

Check the sidebar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waffleman_ posted:

:eng101: The name Crossfire Hurricane is most likely a reference to the Rolling Stones song Jumpin' Jack Flash, which begins with the line "I was born in a crossfire hurricane."

I always thought the line was "class five." :saddowns:

• Locked thread