Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I like the tables conceptually. Lightweight, collapsible, toss 'em in your trunk or your closet. That pricing though? No. Given that they are lightweight, they're the last thing I'd want to use for games where the location of moving parts is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Give me that kickstarter except good, and I'll do business.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Also, do you want some more tables in your wargame?

If I did I'd just play Rolemaster

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Mecha Front by Paulson has 13 hours left, and has just unlocked the last of the heavy mechs, and now has pledge levels that let you get one force of small+medium mechs, one or two forces of small+medium+heavy mechs with rulebook, plus you can add another force as a simple add on, and it's all available in 6mm or 15mm with magnetised weapon options.

For some reason KS is melting down right now, so I can't load the image to confirm, but if it earns $8k more to reach $30k $33k then two of the massive quad mechs will be unlocked as well, with the third at $40k. If not, the quads will happen in the longer term future on their own.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 30, 2014

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

JerryLee posted:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S49932651/ This might not be 4x6 feet but I'm pretty sure I could whip up a bigger tabletop to put on it for gaming with all the money I saved, with the added bonus of not being made of loving cardboard.

Then add on your 6x4 table top (because the table you selected is less than 2x4) and the $15 you're adding for the game mat, then you're pretty much spot on what you'd pay for the cardboard table. Plus, the Ikea table weighs more (not counting the extra 30 lbs of plywood sheet you had to add for your tabletop) and doesn't fold up into a small surface that will fit under a bed, behind a couch, or in a closet. Add to that the fact that if you buy two tables, you're only paying $50 per, it isn't that bad of a deal for a 4x6 gaming table.

It's actually a nice little concept - you and your buddy want to get a game in, but your wife is having a Tupperware party. Oh no... Wait! Just toss the cardboard table in the car and head over to your friend's place. Gaming day was saved - hooray! The shipping though, that is what kills it.

LordAba posted:

While it's not a sexy shark nor a delightfully engrish table kickstarter, Aetherium is in the last 24 hours. Most of the rules have been previewed and it looks like a nice fairly light rules boardgame.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1648780792/aetherium/comments
It got some good buzz at Adepticon. The sculpting on the miniatures was stunning. I didn't play, though - I saw the picketer minis and "The Masque" and the first thought that sprung into my head was "Occupy: The Game."

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 30, 2014

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The problem is that table transmutes to poo poo with the first spilled beer, or whenever your cat notices his new scratching post.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

moths posted:

The problem is that table transmutes to poo poo with the first spilled beer, or whenever your cat notices his new scratching post.

Or a somebody leans on the table even slightly, or it gets wet in a damp basement, or...

It's a novel concept and if they could knock them out for under $20 they would be great for a variety of uses as a disposable table, but at that price point there are better solutions.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Also, do you want some more tables in your wargame? This very Engrish kickstarter would like to know!

Hello. I am Italian and my dick works. Here is a child to prove it. Now here is a girl with huge boobs to make horny nerds buy my overpriced cardboard.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

You're right, she should have gotten breast reduction surgery before doing the Kickstarter.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

moths posted:

Do not put your drinks on the gaming surface! This should always be rule number one, no matter what the table is made out of. I loving hate seeing assholes place their condensation covered beverages on a table that someone took the time to flock and paint. If you made the table, do whatever the hell you want to it - if someone else made it, have some respect!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Or a somebody leans on the table even slightly, or it gets wet in a damp basement, or...
It depends on the cardboard used. There is some pretty resilient stuff out there that can take a lot of weight. But yeah, if it isn't coated in some way, water will certainly take that thing out pretty drat quick.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have received my 4'x4' mousepad battlemats from Frontline. They're pretty loving nice, and roll up easy!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

berzerkmonkey posted:

a table that someone took the time to flock and paint. If you made the table, do whatever the hell you want to it - if someone else made it, have some respect!

I think a flocked and painted wargaming table is on a slightly different level than "Need more table space? Flip over a cardboard box!"

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Azhais posted:

I think a flocked and painted wargaming table is on a slightly different level than "Need more table space? Flip over a cardboard box!"

True, but my tangent still applies.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

And that's solid advice, but mistakes are always going to happen and it's always better to be prepared to mitigate them.

Rapidly deployed paper towels can save your nice gaming table, but nothing will help this cardboard thing.

There is also no leg space. So if you play seated, expect to kick the column constantly.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

moths posted:

There is also no leg space. So if you play seated, expect to kick the column constantly.

Uh oh, we're losing! Uhhh....anybody wanna mountain dew? I'll just hop up real quick and WHOOPS OH DARN

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
The guy in charge of Otters, a kids' game I recently backed and have played a couple times, just put up a breakdown of his costs and profits from a small print run of a card game. Might be of interest to you guys.

Spoiler for those who prefer not to click -- he cleared about $250, on a $5000 kickstarter, assuming his labor doesn't cost anything. This was a card game geared towards kids.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Otters looks drat adorable. Also, I really appreciate that guy's writeup. Well-presented, reasonably concise-yet-detailed, and nice and open. Go him!

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

I backed Billionaire Banshee a few days ago. SU&SD mentioned it in their news post, and it looks like a cute alternative party game to playing CAH yet loving again.

The guy running it sent me a personalized thank you message with a stupid pun using my last name. :3: I love it when a Kickstarter is just a dude who is super psyched to be doing it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SnowDog posted:

The guy in charge of Otters, a kids' game I recently backed and have played a couple times, just put up a breakdown of his costs and profits from a small print run of a card game. Might be of interest to you guys.

Spoiler for those who prefer not to click -- he cleared about $250, on a $5000 kickstarter, assuming his labor doesn't cost anything. This was a card game geared towards kids.

That's a good writeup. And it's all self-made/direct-mailed, he spent the money intelligently, and he isn't paying himself so in the end the number of "services & people who need to be paid" in the whole process between start to finish was minimal. He still barely broke even.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

berzerkmonkey posted:

It got some good buzz at Adepticon. The sculpting on the miniatures was stunning. I didn't play, though - I saw the picketer minis and "The Masque" and the first thought that sprung into my head was "Occupy: The Game."

That is pretty much what that faction is. The other one in the starter box is a state-church run governing body. Anonymous vs Scientology?

Too bad one of the 2000 avatar backers had to back out. We almost unlocked the lolcats faction!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like there could be precedent for legal action against failed kickstarters soon: http://www.geekwire.com/2014/attorney-general-asylum-playing-cards-crowdfunded-project/

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Swagger Dagger posted:

Looks like there could be precedent for legal action against failed kickstarters soon: http://www.geekwire.com/2014/attorney-general-asylum-playing-cards-crowdfunded-project/

Oh, wow, I backed that one.

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Entering the conversation late, but as mentioned, properly-treated cardboard can be used to build large buildings. If the table KS people are doing their homework, it could be a reasonable product.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Swagger Dagger posted:

Interestingly, Far West is even later than that. Should be interesting how that pans out will end up affecting other projects.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have backed some projects that appeared to gently caress off and totally go silent but it turned out they just do all their updates by twitter or facebook or whatever and dropped KS like a hot rock once the funding part was done (even though they are progressing). This seems more and more common.

I am interested in the process and details of developing and bringing products to life, so I used to contribute 1-5$ for campaigns I wanted to be "in the loop" for via effortless email updates straight to my inbox, but where I wasn't ready (or interested) in a physical reward. But that doesn't seem to actually get me anything anymore, so I don't bother now. I just star stuff I don't actually want to contribute to and tell myself I'll look it up again at some undefined point in the future before I forget all about them.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Backerkit surveys are going out for the Bacterionomicon. Can't wait for this to come out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nerdcoremedical/the-bacterionomicon

Swagger Dagger posted:

Kickstarter posted:

Update, 5/2: Here’s the statement Kickstarter shared with us:
Tens of thousands of incredible projects have been brought to life through Kickstarter. We want every backer to have an amazing experience, and we’re frustrated when they don’t. We hope this process brings resolution and clarity to the backers of this project.”

Translated as: Who cares, we got our money, sorry suckers!

Verdugo fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 2, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Verdugo posted:

Translated as: Who cares, we got our money, sorry suckers!

Well, I can kinda understand where they're coming from; they're a facilitator, not managers. There's no way they could police every project and I don't think it's their responsibility when projects mess up. It's like saying a supermarket is responsible if you find a toenail in a bag of Lay's potato chips: the store's not the one who made the product, they just put it on the shelf.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Interestingly, Far West is even later than that. Should be interesting how that pans out will end up affecting other projects.

Didn't GMS get sick recently? Far West has become the Duke Nukem of tabletop games.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

clockworkjoe posted:

Didn't GMS get sick recently? Far West has become the Duke Nukem of tabletop games.

He had some of his intestines removed and then put out a call for donations to help cover the bills.

I really want to make a crass joke regarding a speedy recovery but I'll just say I hope he comes out of it ok.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wait Far West still isn't out?

That's...sad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

That's...sad.
It'll be 3 years late in August.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Evil Mastermind posted:

What it will do is kill kickstarter. If any failed project means a lawsuit nobody is going to risk it.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

What it will do is kill kickstarter. If any failed project means a lawsuit nobody is going to risk it.

That is absolutely crazy, if only because kickstarters that fail are more the exception than the rule.

Besides, no attorney general is going to waste every hour of every day chasing after failed kickstarters. I'm fairly certain this is more about the possibility of this guy trying to vanish with the money than out-and-out mismanagement.

Are you really saying there should be zero accountability?

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
the thing is, you can't squeeze blood from a stone. Not many lawyers or AGs are going to go after 5 figure Kickstarters when they realize the money is gone and not that many people are affected. I can see it happening for 6 and 7 figure campaigns though. The Robotech KS might be the needle that breaks Palladium's back if they can't send out the figures after a certain point. $800k is nothing to sneeze at and Palladium's IPs might be worth something on the open market.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Azhais posted:

If it makes people put thought into the promises they make, so much the better, as far as I'm concerned. If you don't know if you can do it, don't take money from backers.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

They're doing the operation in stages.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, I can kinda understand where they're coming from; they're a facilitator, not managers. There's no way they could police every project and I don't think it's their responsibility when projects mess up. It's like saying a supermarket is responsible if you find a toenail in a bag of Lay's potato chips: the store's not the one who made the product, they just put it on the shelf.

If they don't want people to think it's a storefront than they should stop letting people run Kickstarters like pre-order campaigns.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

Azhais posted:

I very much doubt this because people are definitely not going into this even thinking they might fail to produce the goods. Everyone assumes they will be successful and that they know what they are doing, which is the cause of the failed kickstarters in the first place.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Evil Mastermind posted:

In order for someone to bring legal action to bear against Far West, first someone would have to still give a poo poo about Far West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I'd like to think the courts can determine the difference between an honest failure to deliver and outright fraud.

• Locked thread