Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
In Dark Arisen the game throws portcrystals at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Update: Ogres are a loving nightmare as strider. Why do they even have so much health what the gently caress

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Ogres? CLIMB ON ITS BACK AND STRIKE FROM ABOVE! :v:

Wait until you meet an elder ogre. :stare:

Gildiss posted:

In Dark Arisen the game throws portcrystals at you.

That's probably because Capcom realized that most people playing DA have already been through the game once or twice and know what a pain in the rear end it is to walk from Gran Soren to the loving Bloodwater Beach twenty times.

edit: The "post-game" on BBI is awesome. I killed a firedrake and a cursed dragon showed up to feed on its corpse. I even got some dragonforged stuff out of it.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 3, 2014

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
"1. Start game, it imports the original DD save.
2. New Game
3. Confirm it.
4. New Game
5. Confirm it. (Dragon's Dogma import bonuses lost here)"

Is it possible to get the bonuses back again later if you do this?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Tgent posted:

"1. Start game, it imports the original DD save.
2. New Game
3. Confirm it.
4. New Game
5. Confirm it. (Dragon's Dogma import bonuses lost here)"

Is it possible to get the bonuses back again later if you do this?

Maybe start a new regular DD game, save it (overwriting the old save), load DD:DA, and load the DA save?

Thistledown
Dec 18, 2009
I believe if you delete the DA save data entirely, it should give you back the import bonuses.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Thistledown posted:

I believe if you delete the DA save data entirely, it should give you back the import bonuses.

This is correct. The import process doesn't do anything to the vanilla DD save, so if you remove the DA save from the system the game will try to reimport it when it goes to make a new one.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
No but seriously what the gently caress is even up with ogres. The only way I was able to kill the one in the Everfall quest is because I got it to charge off of the edge and fall to its death. The ones in the mine are kicking the everloving poo poo out of me and it happens the same way every time: I get the ogre down to like 1/4th of its health, then it auto-tracks a dropkick into my face and kills me in one hit. I'm thinking of respeccing into a mage for this one quest just so I can kill the loving things easier.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

No but seriously what the gently caress is even up with ogres. The only way I was able to kill the one in the Everfall quest is because I got it to charge off of the edge and fall to its death. The ones in the mine are kicking the everloving poo poo out of me and it happens the same way every time: I get the ogre down to like 1/4th of its health, then it auto-tracks a dropkick into my face and kills me in one hit. I'm thinking of respeccing into a mage for this one quest just so I can kill the loving things easier.

Dragon's Maw is literally the best skill just because of this. Just pop it and bam invincibility for like 6 seconds.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Spec into Warrior and buy Bastion, then spec back to whatever you were using before. The damage reduction is a huge help early game.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

CJacobs posted:

If you're a ranged class there's some narrow tunnels in the mines that the ogres can't get into and you can kill them from the door.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

If you have one, try throwing a skull at it. Skulls inflict curse, which is a particularly nasty debuff.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I think you need to throw several skulls, until the "cursed" icon appears. In addition, use some of the other tools you probably have. Oil Arrows will make him susceptible to burning, if you have a mage who fire enchants your weapons. Blast Arrows into his face will stun him. This is especially useful when he is enraged. To reduce his HP quickly in the beginning, use Throwblasts or Dragon Spits. Climb on the Ogre's back and immediately jump off before he falls backwards. You'll have a few moments to throw a Bomb at his head, that's his weakpoint. When he rages, run like hell - do you have the Forward Roll core skill? Can your remaining pawns distract him? - and then Blast Arrow his face and let some warrior pawn do the rest.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
You all give weird advice (except the skull throwing dude). Easiest way to kill ogres as a strider is to climb on his back, and then you've got like 3 seconds once he starts his back-flop to actually jump off. Either he focuses on your pawns and you swing with impunity, or he'll back-flop at you repeatedly and your pawns have free reign to do their things in addition to you getting a couple attacks off between each flop.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
My Mage pawn tend to stunlock Ogres with the lightning spells most of the time but it isn't foolprof.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have come up with a strategy in a few simple steps that seems to be working well:

1. Bring along some pawns that can imbue my bow with fire.
2. Nuke the big stupid faces of every ogre on the planet with infinite penta-shot arrows thanks to the nigh un-depletable stamina that comes with rogue characters.
3. Laugh at the stupid ogres and their stupid red monkey butts. gently caress you, ogres. gently caress you and your monkey butts.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Can someone explain gear duping to me like I'm a moron? I copy my save over to a memory stick, I grab the pawn I want to dupe the gear on, replace all of their gear with what I want my friend to have, send them back to their owner, switch back to my original save right? When I do it, the other goon just gets his pawn back with all of her original gear.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

After seeing a couple of them but having them run away like little sissy girls before I could start really doing damage (:argh:), I finally had a griffin stick around for a fight at Hillfigure Knoll. Spent most of the fight pelting it with arrows while my two melee pawns jumped onto it every chance they got. Having a mage with fire affinity seemed to help a lot too.

When it was almost dead it decided to hover just out of reach of the pawns' jumping ability. Too bad I have a double jump, motherfucker. I rode that bitch up into the sky and brought it crashing back down, screaming :black101:
This game fuckin owns

Mr. Baps fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 4, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Do the badges of amity you get from the bandit leaders even do anything? All of the bandits in both areas still aggro on me outside of their specific hub areas, where they didn't even attack in the first place.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CJacobs posted:

Do the badges of amity you get from the bandit leaders even do anything? All of the bandits in both areas still aggro on me outside of their specific hub areas, where they didn't even attack in the first place.

If you have Maul's in your inventory, Ophis will attack you on sight even if your party is entirely female. So nothing POSITIVE, at any rate. Honestly you should just turn them in for the notice board quests asking for them.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Each one makes one band hostile, so if you have them both, both will attack you. It really depends on where you want to go through safely, really.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To answer my own question, neither of them do anything. Only carrying Maul's keeps the ones in south Gransys hostile, and only carrying Ophis' keeps the ones around that area hostile. There is no way to make the bandits on the routes not attack you which is kind of annoying given that both bandit leaders say you have free pass through the area when you've got the medal.

The bandits in the camps themselves never attack you anyway unless you attack them first. I've looked it up and it seems to all amount to rumors-from-that-kid-at-school and heresay but in practice it seems like all they're used for is the notice board quest where you turn them in for a reward.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 4, 2014

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I'm pretty sure when I was carrying the lady bandit badge, there were no bandit spawns in that area.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mad Dragon posted:

I'm pretty sure when I was carrying the lady bandit badge, there were no bandit spawns in that area.

Yep, they were all replaced with wolves I think. The dudes are always there though, even with the badge.

The people in either of the actual camps shouldn't be hostile unless you attack first (provided your group is all women for Ophis I guess).

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe
Or your male members are all wearing dresses. Including Skjor, the giant mountain man with a beard I hired.

ChaoticGood
May 7, 2010

Neo Helbeast posted:

Can someone explain gear duping to me like I'm a moron? I copy my save over to a memory stick, I grab the pawn I want to dupe the gear on, replace all of their gear with what I want my friend to have, send them back to their owner, switch back to my original save right? When I do it, the other goon just gets his pawn back with all of her original gear.

Generally playing around with save files causes all the sent items turn to rocks, so I'd advice against it... Although I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. They keep their original gear even if you give them new stuff, they just get the new stuff too and the user can choose whether they want to keep the look you gave them or switch to the original one.

And Exequy is actually pretty good against the ogres in the cave, if you happen to be a mage. Just don't attack them with anything so they don't notice you and cast Exequy on them...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CJacobs posted:

I have come up with a strategy in a few simple steps that seems to be working well:

1. Bring along some pawns that can imbue my bow with fire.
2. Nuke the big stupid faces of every ogre on the planet with infinite penta-shot arrows thanks to the nigh un-depletable stamina that comes with rogue characters.
3. Laugh at the stupid ogres and their stupid red monkey butts. gently caress you, ogres. gently caress you and your monkey butts.

You really should give magick archer a go if you haven't tried it yet. You'll probably need to wait until you get a decent bow for it though if you haven't spent any time as mage/sorcerer

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

a kitten posted:

The people in either of the actual camps shouldn't be hostile unless you attack first (provided your group is all women for Ophis I guess).
I remember a support pawn blowing up a barrel right next to one of the lady bandits while searching for loot. I had to reload the last save, which was nowhere near the fort. When I got back (after manually saving just outside), she did it again. I fired that pawn.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I just saw that are two spreadsheets. I've added myself to the Dark Arisen spreadsheet.

So a question about the Ur-Dragon, I was going to town on the offline version and got him down to two health bars and he just flew away. Is that supposed to happen? Like he dropped a bunch of scales and then just flew away.

ChaoticGood posted:

Generally playing around with save files causes all the sent items turn to rocks, so I'd advice against it... Although I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. They keep their original gear even if you give them new stuff, they just get the new stuff too and the user can choose whether they want to keep the look you gave them or switch to the original one.

I gave up on trying to do it. My friend will just have to deal with not having a set of Gisly Armor.

BattleTech fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 4, 2014

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Neo Helbeast posted:

I just saw that are two spreadsheets. I've added myself to the Dark Arisen spreadsheet.

So a question about the Ur-Dragon, I was going to town on the offline version and got him down to two health bars and he just flew away. Is that supposed to happen? Like he dropped a bunch of scales and then just flew away.

I gave up on trying to do it. My friend will just have to deal with not having a set of Gisly Armor.
Yeah, he's on a time limit of sorts. If you don't kill him in one go, you need to go rest one day before he comes back.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Nahxela posted:

Yeah, he's on a time limit of sorts. If you don't kill him in one go, you need to go rest one day before he comes back.

I'm pretty sure you can run out and right back in again. I'll try it on the offline dragon and report back.

edit: After he flew away (not five loving seconds after I used a veteran's periapt :argh:), I ran back to the inn but didn't rest. When I zoned back in, three pawns were waiting for me. After they were dealt with, the ur-dragon came back.

Mad Dragon fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 4, 2014

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

So apparently the griffin I fought during the cipher quest was a fixed encounter at hillfigure knoll, judging by this sidequest I just got. Will it respawn eventually? I sure hope so, because being locked out of a sidequest because I killed something that attacked me during a main story quest would be wicked dumb. So dumb in fact that I've convinced myself that it has to respawn. Right? :ohdear:

Also, I decided to try out mystic knight and boy oh boy are the first few ranks of it yawn-inducing. I'm sure it'll get better, but for now I'm basically just a fighter with a glowing shield. Maybe I should be using a staff instead of a sword. What mystic knight skills in particular are worth looking forward to?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Walrus Pete posted:

So apparently the griffin I fought during the cipher quest was a fixed encounter at hillfigure knoll, judging by this sidequest I just got. Will it respawn eventually? I sure hope so, because being locked out of a sidequest because I killed something that attacked me during a main story quest would be wicked dumb. So dumb in fact that I've convinced myself that it has to respawn. Right? :ohdear:

Also, I decided to try out mystic knight and boy oh boy are the first few ranks of it yawn-inducing. I'm sure it'll get better, but for now I'm basically just a fighter with a glowing shield. Maybe I should be using a staff instead of a sword. What mystic knight skills in particular are worth looking forward to?
Yeah, the Hillfigure Knoll one will eventually respawn, but Griffins are forever annoying to track down and fight. Sometimes they just don't care, even if you leave a corpse for it.

The Cannon Spells, the Sigil spells, Stone Forest, Holy Furor. There are some cool unique skills, but, yeah, early Mystic Knight is pretty boring. The sky lunge thing is fun, though.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Walrus Pete posted:

For me, the glowing shield stuff is the best part about MK. Eventually you'll be able to knock down and / or kill enemies with a well-timed block, as well as counter-sniping archers with magic when you block their arrows.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Walrus Pete posted:

Those quests that tell you to kill certain enemies in certain places mostly don't seem to actually care where you kill them. For instance, clearing the main story quest to kill a Griffon got me that noticeboard quest cleared as well. There ARE some exceptions to this rule, but they seem fairly uncommon. The only one that comes to mind off-hand is the one to kill the two ogres near the Abbey.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Walrus Pete posted:

MK does kind of suck at low levels and ranks. Once you learn Great Cannon, it is a wrecking machine. Enchant your weapon with whatever the baddie is weak against, drop a couple cannons, and spam full moon slash for maximum carnage. I've even seen pawns take a few whacks at a cannon.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Holy hell is instant reset amazing. Once I get something stunned it stays that way until I run out of stamina or it's dead.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Instant reset is also awesome when something knocks you down.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah could someone explain to me why instant reset is good? I mean doesn't it just reset your animation or something? I thought that would be good for cancelling out of combos but maybe I'm missing something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
Instant Reset just puts your character back in the neutral position regardless of what you are doing or what has been done to you. If you get stunlocked, you can instant reset out of it, if you make a mistake and don't want to commit, instant reset. I'm not sure if getting knocked into the air is resetable but it's pretty great for getting out of bad situations. Or putting monsters into bad situations.

• Locked thread