Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
With the possible exception of linguist, yes he's pushing lovely jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Consider the Navy, you'll at least know exactly what you're signing up for. Try to get CTN. I'd say if you can get CTN from the Navy it'll be better than anything you could get out of the Air Force (based on you, in my opinion).

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
enlist in the peace time marine corpse

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

nobody wants to fight but somebuddy's gotta know how rah

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Mud Shark posted:

I have my list of 10 jobs ready to roll, and they include a few 3D cyber jobs, Medical jobs, Paralegal and Air Traffic Control. He of course is trying to get me into Security Forces, EOD and linguist. I'm sure those jobs are just fine for a lot of people, but with my wife and kid at home I'm not super excited about intentionally putting myself near explosives that were designed to kill me.

Is the recruiter just trying to force me into lovely jobs? Or are those fields overmanned right now to the point where I might not be able to get to BMT in time unless I take something less appealing? I'm not completely opposed to going in a different direction, I just want to try and minimize my chances of hating life as soon as I'm out of tech school.

Regarding the 3D thing, which particular 3D AFSC are you talking about? Reason I ask is that 3D is a clusterfuck of a career category and literally includes everything from cyber nerds hacking the Gibson to dudes who work on RF transmission towers on airfields to people who are glorified IT help desk folks to people who do nothing but push paperwork all day. And oh by the way just because you are in one aspect of 3D doesn't mean you'll actually do that, there are some jobs that fall in the gaps between the AFSCs and they tend to pull randomly to fill those jobs from any 3D AFSC. Which is how Cyber Transport network technicians wind up filling out aircraft forms doing maintenance on Ground Control Stations for Predators. Also there's supposedly another career cateogry reorg coming down the pipe later this year, so expect everything to change again.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want you thinking that 3D-whatever automatically equals cyber because it most definitely doesn't, so make sure you know the specifics of whatever 3D career fields you are thinking of enlisting in.

And yeah, other than maybe linguist those are poo poo jobs, and even linguist can have some downsides (particularly if you have a family) that you'd want to consider before enlisting. As far as whether or not those current jobs are filled...I can't say for certain but yes, generally speaking jobs like paralegal or ATC or cyber where the work environment is generally pretty easy and you get skills for the outside world tend to fill up quicker than poo poo jobs like cops or maintenance. This is probably even more so the case today where we can afford to be extremely picky with who we let in, so the majority of the people who enlist are already qualified for the majority of the jobs (to include top pick ones like paralegal)...as opposed to say 8-9 years ago when we were taking anyone with a pulse so percentage wise your chances of getting a good job if you were well qualified were considerably higher.

Do not under any circumstances enlist SF. Or open general. Or really anything that starts with a 2 with maybe one or two exceptions.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
Great info - thanks a lot for that.

I am specifically looking at Cyber Transport, Client Systems, Programming and Surety. I'm certainly not opposed to moving out of my comfort zone and ending up with one of the lower jobs on my list, but it's like you said. If you enlist at 18 and get out at 22, the world is your oyster and you still have plenty of time to figure out what to do with yourself. Enlisting at 27 puts you on the wrong side of 30 when you get out, so anything applicable to civilian careers is extremely valuable. Even if I get the poo poo end of Cyber Transport, I can put it on my resume and my CCAF degree will have something relevant on it. That plus the training for the certifications I used to have, since they are pretty expensive courses/tests to get done on my own.

The way I figure it, the Air Force probably needs those low tier jobs manned badly enough that I could wait out something on my list for a few months before I just take whatever I need to get shipped out pretty quickly at that point. I would bet that an applicant with their eligibility on a short clock could get moved up the local list if they volunteered for those. I had my 2nd meeting today and filled out the 2304980 forms to get scheduled for MEPS the week after next, so I guess I'll know more about job availability then.

I am pretty set on the Air Force. I'm in pretty decent shape but I really doubt I could pass Army/Marines PT tests that were designed for bodies fresher than mine. Just out of curiosity though, let's just say that I go to MEPS and they flat out say that I'm not going to get any of the jobs I want before my eligibility is up. If I were to then go talk to a Navy recruiter, would everything I had already done at MEPS directly transfer so that all I'd have to worry about is job selection? I'm sure it would piss off my Air Force recruiter but I really want to try and make the best out of whatever situation I end up in, and a job that I care about more would make that easier.

The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that there is no loving way I'd enlist as open general.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Two things: the CCAF is utterly worthless. I wouldn't even put it on a resume.

The AF doesn't need people at all. They're kicking out dudes by the thousands.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Quick question, how much time would one be looking at between selection for Navy OCS and actually leaving for OCS?

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Linguist and EOD can pan out a lot further than you imagine right now.

Disarming roadside bombs isn't the only thing EOD does these days, it's just their most publicly known face.

I have a few linguist buddies who work for major international companies now as full on translators making a pretty drat good paycheck (70+) considering they're not college grads.

I'd say keep pursuing what you want. If you make it in you make it in, once in the age barrier should not be an issue to what you want to do and I'm just going to assume he gets a bonus for getting people into those other fields he mentioned.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

LCL-Dead posted:

Linguist and EOD can pan out a lot further than you imagine right now.

Disarming roadside bombs isn't the only thing EOD does these days, it's just their most publicly known face.

I have a few linguist buddies who work for major international companies now as full on translators making a pretty drat good paycheck (70+) considering they're not college grads.

I'd say keep pursuing what you want. If you make it in you make it in, once in the age barrier should not be an issue to what you want to do and I'm just going to assume he gets a bonus for getting people into those other fields he mentioned.

Yeah, honestly a lot of MOS's that are considered lovely can pan out to be pretty cool if you're not a loving whiny little human being about every little thing.

Some are always awful though.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Mud Shark posted:

Great info - thanks a lot for that.

I am specifically looking at Cyber Transport, Client Systems, Programming and Surety. I'm certainly not opposed to moving out of my comfort zone and ending up with one of the lower jobs on my list, but it's like you said. If you enlist at 18 and get out at 22, the world is your oyster and you still have plenty of time to figure out what to do with yourself. Enlisting at 27 puts you on the wrong side of 30 when you get out, so anything applicable to civilian careers is extremely valuable. Even if I get the poo poo end of Cyber Transport, I can put it on my resume and my CCAF degree will have something relevant on it. That plus the training for the certifications I used to have, since they are pretty expensive courses/tests to get done on my own.

The way I figure it, the Air Force probably needs those low tier jobs manned badly enough that I could wait out something on my list for a few months before I just take whatever I need to get shipped out pretty quickly at that point. I would bet that an applicant with their eligibility on a short clock could get moved up the local list if they volunteered for those. I had my 2nd meeting today and filled out the 2304980 forms to get scheduled for MEPS the week after next, so I guess I'll know more about job availability then.

I am pretty set on the Air Force. I'm in pretty decent shape but I really doubt I could pass Army/Marines PT tests that were designed for bodies fresher than mine. Just out of curiosity though, let's just say that I go to MEPS and they flat out say that I'm not going to get any of the jobs I want before my eligibility is up. If I were to then go talk to a Navy recruiter, would everything I had already done at MEPS directly transfer so that all I'd have to worry about is job selection? I'm sure it would piss off my Air Force recruiter but I really want to try and make the best out of whatever situation I end up in, and a job that I care about more would make that easier.

The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that there is no loving way I'd enlist as open general.

When I was halfway through my Marine Corps MEPS visits, I decided to go Navy Corpsman route since the only thing the Marine Corps wanted me to do was between Water dog, weather wizard, or some weird comm tech gig. The Navy recruiter had to fill out some paperwork for the MC recruiter to give him my paperwork and I had to sign something that said I understood I couldn't sign for a Marine Corps contract over x period of time should I back out of wanting to go Navy. Thankfully, I am missing out on the peacetime MC.

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

DeesGrandpa posted:

Quick question, how much time would one be looking at between selection for Navy OCS and actually leaving for OCS?

Some people leave in a couple months. I waited 9. Several people I knew waited at least 4.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, honestly a lot of MOS's that are considered lovely can pan out to be pretty cool if you're not a loving whiny little human being about every little thing.

Some are always awful though.

Yeah that's about what I figured. I'm not gonna lie, SF Boat Patrol sounds pretty dope provided you get stationed in Florida and not Alaska or something. Then again, your odds are just as high to be the dude checking IDs at the gate.

As long as I can mitigate my chances of:
1) Getting blown up
2) Being in a career field that is deployed more than it isn't

Then I'm fine with whatever really. Linguist doesn't sound bad at all, especially if you don't get stuck with a class 4 language or whatever. Then again I failed out of high school Spanish but that was more due to not giving a poo poo at the time. Pretty sure it is also carrying a massive enlistment bonus right now.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holocaust bloopers posted:

Two things: the CCAF is utterly worthless. I wouldn't even put it on a resume.

The AF doesn't need people at all. They're kicking out dudes by the thousands.

Command Post is a soul-crushing career field but we aren't actually overmanned and wildly flipflop between 'critically undermanned' and 'at manning' every single time they do an evaluation. Also you miss out on a lot of squadron faggotry by not ever being in a squadron once you leave AETC.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mud Shark posted:

Yeah that's about what I figured. I'm not gonna lie, SF Boat Patrol sounds pretty dope provided you get stationed in Florida and not Alaska or something. Then again, your odds are just as high to be the dude checking IDs at the gate.

As long as I can mitigate my chances of:
1) Getting blown up
2) Being in a career field that is deployed more than it isn't

Then I'm fine with whatever really. Linguist doesn't sound bad at all, especially if you don't get stuck with a class 4 language or whatever. Then again I failed out of high school Spanish but that was more due to not giving a poo poo at the time. Pretty sure it is also carrying a massive enlistment bonus right now.

You say this until you realize deployment is where the money's at.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
I'm cool with deploying and hey, I like money, but then you read stories about some AFSCs being deployed 7 or 8 months out of the year and that poo poo sucks. If I was single and didn't have a kid I'd actively seek out deployment but also if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mud Shark posted:

I'm cool with deploying and hey, I like money, but then you read stories about some AFSCs being deployed 7 or 8 months out of the year and that poo poo sucks. If I was single and didn't have a kid I'd actively seek out deployment but also if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

You made me frown with that statement. Most deployments aren't a cake walk, sure, but an Air Force deployment (unless you're a JTAC attached to another unit or PARA rescue) is pretty loving cake if you ask me.

I was Marine Corps infantry, being gone 7-8 months a year, coming home for 4 to do a quick work up and then leaving again just as fast was the norm and the Marine Corps doesn't shell out any extra money for creature comforts either. We had guys in our platoon with 2-3 kids who'd been married for years, etc. If you really want to avoid deployments. Don't join the military. Go join the coast guard or work for one of the agencies that falls under the DHS umbrella if you're really that worried about what is actually a short deployment. That way you can set up a home base off of the coast somewhere or wherever you end up being placed and never have to worry about dealing with anything more dangerous than office politics.

The Army does 13-14 month deployments. ;) gently caress. That. Noise.

Push your recruiter for the cyber jobs, don't give up on them. Recruiters get bonuses for filling MOS slots that are deemed hard to fill so he's going to push you in the direction that gets him some more green. A linguist position will see you sent to the DLA (Is it DLA?) wherever the hell that is, where you'll be a student of whatever language you (Read: They) pick for you until you've mastered it or flunk out of the school. If you flunk out, say goodbye to a linguist MOS and hello to whatever slot they need you to fill. Though with the USAF you might actually get a say in that.

Whatever you do, don't fall for the, "We'll just sign you up for this MOS here to get you in the door and then change your MOS before you go to boot camp" trick. It's a lie.

LCL-Dead fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 2, 2014

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
Yeah I'm definitely not trying to outright avoid them since it's just the nature of the beast and I totally get that. I just think it would make very little sense for me personally to pick a job with a higher deployment frequency if I can help it.

Supposedly there are two job drops happening this month which sounds promising, so hopefully by the time I get to MEPS it'll just be a non-issue.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mud Shark posted:

Yeah I'm definitely not trying to outright avoid them since it's just the nature of the beast and I totally get that. I just think it would make very little sense for me personally to pick a job with a higher deployment frequency if I can help it.

Supposedly there are two job drops happening this month which sounds promising, so hopefully by the time I get to MEPS it'll just be a non-issue.

You may be able to avoid them outright. Last I checked there wasn't a huge need for cyber guys overseas unless it had something to do specifically with cyber warfare, security, network infrastructure, etc.

Hell, you may even be able to land yourself an assignment in Europe. Think the wife and kids would like that?

Overall I have to say that, no matter what job you get, it's worth it. The experience alone, not to mention the technical training and preference that comes from being military will really pay off in the end.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
don't join the coast guard either just get a civil service job

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

My brother was some kind of 3CO AF computer nerd. His assignments were Elmo (Alaska) and Peterson (Colorado). In 8 years he never deployed.

YMMV...our deployment/exercise/training cycle was so stupid I didn't take leave for 3 years.

Mud Shark
May 12, 2012
Well yeah ideally I get the job I want as Cyber Transport/Client Systems/Programming and not worry about it. The issue is that I can't just wait it out forever since my eligibility is over in February and it takes awhile to ship to BMT even after you book. Supposedly there are two job drops happening this month and hopefully that is on there. I figure I have until July or so to book one of those before I might have to take something else.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So this question isn't so much about wanting to join up as it is about settling a bet, so if you guys would rather not answer I understand!

Anyways, my wife is a doctor and the other day she got a letter in the mail saying that she should join the army reserves as a physician. She said she would never do it because boot camp would kill her, but I said that over at OCS the heaviest thing she would ever have to lift would be a coffee mug. Who was right? Would a doctor in their 30s go to the same candidate school as a 22 year old fresh out of college? Thanks!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So this question isn't so much about wanting to join up as it is about settling a bet, so if you guys would rather not answer I understand!

Anyways, my wife is a doctor and the other day she got a letter in the mail saying that she should join the army reserves as a physician. She said she would never do it because boot camp would kill her, but I said that over at OCS the heaviest thing she would ever have to lift would be a coffee mug. Who was right? Would a doctor in their 30s go to the same candidate school as a 22 year old fresh out of college? Thanks!

Docs, lawyers, and chaplains go to special OCS in which they get taught which direction to pin the rank insignia on and which hand to salute with and that's about it. In my experience, they have a 30% success rate.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They also commission at the beginning, so they hold their real rank during training. As an officer trainee, I was saluted by a Lt Col. So yeah, the success rate is so low they should qualify for NCLB.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
A friend of mine did USAF OTS for medical and jag types. She's one of the dumbest people that I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and has the tolerance for physical labor similar to an AIDS baby. She got through fine.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

As an officer trainee, I was saluted by a Lt Col.

Same, except it was a Lt Col along with a Maj.

Know those stories you hear about those old-rear end like 50 year old doctors who want to "serve their country" or whatever the gently caress and get direct commissioned as a Colonel? Your wife would be going through the same school as those guys successfully passed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
In the navy JAGs, doctors, and various other staff jobs go through Officer Development School (ODS) instead of OCS. It's only 5 weeks long and like the other branches, they commission at the beginning. There isn't really any of the hazing bullshit, but there is organized PT, two PRTs while you're there, some uniform inspections, and other BS. There was an old rear end surgeon who joined up when I was in newport in 08 doing it. Direct commissioned as an O-6.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If there's a military doctor out there who isn't partially retarded I will eat my loving hat.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

powerful weedlock posted:

If there's a military doctor out there who isn't partially retarded I will eat my loving hat.

We have a goon USAF doc and other than being a goon he seems not retarded.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

As evidence, he almost never posts.

In the AF, OTS is split into two parts: BOT is for normal officer trainees, COT is the short version for docs/lawyers/chaplains.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

Godholio posted:

They also commission at the beginning, so they hold their real rank during training. As an officer trainee, I was saluted by a Lt Col. So yeah, the success rate is so low they should qualify for NCLB.

A Maj held a door open for me and called me sir during training :3:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
If one could join any branch and could score top marks, what would be some of the primo positions to aim for?

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

goodness posted:

If one could join any branch and could score top marks, what would be some of the primo positions to aim for?

jont chiefs
aircraft carrier
fighter jet
nuclear missile
baby killer
mil doc who does abortions

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

goodness posted:

army 18x

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

mil doc who does abortions

Mulatto Massacre

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

goodness posted:

doc that specializes in dependa bariatric surgery.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

genderstomper58 posted:

Mulatto Massacre

lol

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Well thanks for the information, guys! Much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Woah. I haven't seen a Hot Dog Day in a while.

• Locked thread