Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

rotaryfun posted:

Didn't realize sitting for awhile could cause that. I've already ordered some new fork seals but I think I'll wait a little before changing them out... maybe a winter project.

That's what my buddy said too but like I said I think he was afraid of the bike. Maybe the owner before him though. He did do the conversion though. Said it was pretty easy just a matter of getting all the parts together.

Here are some new pics now that it's home.

Got to ride into work today. Wow what a ride. Absolutely love it. The power is just nuts.

Just FYI that looks a trillion times better than the half-faired version; I would never even consider buying a non-naked one just because the looks alone are so off-putting. Are those factory bars? I've never seen a factory bike with flat bars like that.

Snowdens Secret posted:

At least some people warning you away from an MV 800 are doing so because owning an Mv Agusta takes the Italian bike ownership experience and cranks it to 11.

I saw an 800 dragster up close the other day, next to a normal 800 brutale. The 'crash protection' is pretty retarded and pointless but the rest of it looks fantastic to ride, if you don't care about passengers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

url posted:

I'm not making a decision for a few months yet anyways.

I need a test ride before I can commit to a decision. The other options would be a GSXR750, Kawi 636, maybe even an Aprilia, and now I have to visit the triumph showroom too.
The import tax here affect any decision. The Kaw will come in the cheapest of the lot, the GSX next, then it gets expensive.

A niggling issue is the longer I keep mine, the less I'll get for it. A few months is potentially a fairly heavy percentage, depending on how badly the dealer wants to make the deal.

Sell the 250 for cash on cragslist or an equivalent to get your money's worth.

Also I had my 250 for only 3 months before I sold it for my 675.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Sell the 250 for cash on cragslist or an equivalent to get your money's worth.

Also I had my 250 for only 3 months before I sold it for my 675.

This is kinda reassuring, thanks.

It's been a fantastic experience, really really really fun, 4km of nothing but fun.
I wouldn't say I've mastered it completely yet, so I'm okay to hang onto it for a short while.

I"ll consider a private salem but, that'll be trickier for me because I'm in Taiwan, and you should never trust the foreigners!

;)

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Slavvy posted:

Just FYI that looks a trillion times better than the half-faired version; I would never even consider buying a non-naked one just because the looks alone are so off-putting. Are those factory bars? I've never seen a factory bike with flat bars like that.

Yeah I'm really happy my buddy found it on craigslist. We were actually looking for a bike for him.

The bar is aftermarket as well. He gave me the stock one but I don't see me going back. Only thing is of course no mirrors as it sits now. Which he said he preferred the look but after riding without mirrors I realized just how often I look for them. It's so uncomfortable not being able to see what's behind me... ESPECIALLY at a light. Heard some tires lock up yesterday while I was sitting at a light and just cringed and waited for impact because I just couldn't see if it was behind me or not. I have a set of bar end mirrors on my SV that I might take off and put on the FZ or I might even just leave them and pick up some new ones. Gotta figure out how to get the bar ends off first though.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

i cant even spell my name god help me
Oh hey guys. I used to post here a lot under the moniker Fixed Gear Guy (lost my password and the email account, so lowtax gets my :10bux:). I had a Ducati Monster 796 which I sold to help move in with my girlfriend. We got engaged and now we're (thankfully) split up after two years of arguments and bad communication. After we broke up I bought a 2003 Z1000 in 'good' condition from a dealership near me.

The previous owner abused the gently caress out of this machine with a ton of half-baked modz. For instance, I went to install new Rizoma front indicators, but he had cut off the stock Kawasaki connectors and installed quick disconnects. That's fine... but he used two male quick disconnects on the left side, and two female ones on the right side. He also went through the trouble of removing both wheels to paint them, but only used spraypaint instead of sending them off for automotive paint or powdercoat. He must have played with the left and right controls at some point, because they were held on with two stock hex head bolts, one phillips head bolt, and one flathead bolt. :wtc:

I spent the last two or three weeks going over all the poo poo he touched and I fixed almost all of it. It's been a little frustrating, but mostly a good way to relax after work and get my mind off of other poo poo. And, as you can see, I took the opportunity to install all kinds of shiny goodies.

Since these photos, I've wrapped the headers and installed a Double Bubble up front.

What do you think about the wrapped headers? Keep them or ditch them?

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 26, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm personally not a fan of header wrap but thats just me - I would fix the brake reservoir line though, shorten it and you should be able to rotate the fitting or the mount on the reservoir to use a shorter line so there's less chance of snagging it. Also, pick up some of the oem clamps for the line cause zip ties exposed to UV degrade over time and that will accelerate if they get a caustic like brake fluid on them.

The guy may have halfassed some of it but is that a zx6r front end on the bike? If so, that's a nice bonus as the stock front end is marginal.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

I'm personally not a fan of header wrap but thats just me - I would fix the brake reservoir line though, shorten it and you should be able to rotate the fitting or the mount on the reservoir to use a shorter line so there's less chance of snagging it. Also, pick up some of the oem clamps for the line cause zip ties exposed to UV degrade over time and that will accelerate if they get a caustic like brake fluid on them.

The guy may have halfassed some of it but is that a zx6r front end on the bike? If so, that's a nice bonus as the stock front end is marginal.

Yep, zx6r front end. The tygon hosing doesn't really need clamps in the first place but I agree, it's too long. I'll probably go fix that in a bit.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 26, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The header wrap is basically completely useless and all it's going to do is trap water and dirt against your exhaust. Also, is that factory paint? The fact that it has no decals anywhere makes me think it's been crashed and re-sprayed.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
IIRC 2003 color options were black and orange. Kawi green was 2004.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

mguirk the jerk posted:

Yep, zx6r front end. The tygon hosing doesn't really need clamps in the first place but I agree, it's too long. I'll probably go fix that in a bit.

I'm just paranoid...losing brake fluid and introducing air into the lines from the stop sucks :)

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

The header wrap is basically completely useless and all it's going to do is trap water and dirt against your exhaust. Also, is that factory paint? The fact that it has no decals anywhere makes me think it's been crashed and re-sprayed.

I knew about the inefficacy and side effects before getting into it. I really just wanted to see how it would look. I'm leaning towards removing the wrap.

It's not factory paint. Some parts were re-painted and some were pulled from newer models. No signs of a crash and it has a clean history. The bike is really just to hold me over until I can afford to spend coin on a new machine. After my ex's and my break-up, I'm left with a $1425/mo rent until September.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 27, 2014

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Help, it's started :ohdear:

Picked up a mostly complete '95 ct110 on a whim today. Probably gonna give it to my partner when she goes for her license since I've been trying to ride it around the back yard but I'm too big to ride it comfortably :(

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

The fact that it has no decals anywhere makes me think it's been crashed and re-sprayed.

First thing I did to my brand-new Vstar was de-sticker it. I don't know if I'd be suspicious of a de-stickered bike in and of itself.

I actually saved one of the chrome tank stickers from the Vstar...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are Z1000 tank logos generally not under the clearcoat? My zx10 had the lettering under the clear, like practically every other modern jap bike I've seen.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Are Z1000 tank logos generally not under the clearcoat? My zx10 had the lettering under the clear, like practically every other modern jap bike I've seen.

They are under the clear. As I stated, the bike was repainted. Dunno who that's causing everybody to panic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nobody is panicking, it's just rare for anyone to repaint a bike just for kicks, it's usually because of a crash.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Nobody is panicking, it's just rare for anyone to repaint a bike just for kicks, it's usually because of a crash.

That argument doesn't hold water. It's a naked bike. The only thing that could be damaged in a crash is the gas tank. So if somebody buggered the tank, why would they spend hundreds of dollars on green plastics (or mediablasting and repainting the stockers) instead of just repainting the tank orange?

Hanlon's razor is appropriate WRT the PO: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 29, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
When I laid my Z1000 down it rashed up the tank, the engine cover trim piece (yours is missing), windscreen, turn signals, the pipes on that side and the front fender and gave the handlebars a tweak. That was a pretty minor down. So that's all the parts on yours that have been replaced. It's not implausible that the front end got swapped because the stock parts got hosed.

Which isn't to say there's anything wrong with it as long as it rides true. The biggest issue you see with Zs of those years is hosed steering bearings or even cracks around the steering head from guys doing huge wheelies and setting it down hard on the front, over and over and over again. Your wheels should also be red with polished rims and while obv the red didn't go with the green, the polished part looks really good and it's a shame that got covered up.

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
Out of curiosity, if that z1k is just a holdover, what would you buy to replace it? They seem like pretty potent machines to begin with.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mguirk the jerk posted:

That argument doesn't hold water. It's a naked bike. The only thing that could be damaged in a crash is the gas tank. So if somebody buggered the tank, why would they spend hundreds of dollars on green plastics (or mediablasting and repainting the stockers) instead of just repainting the tank orange?

Hanlon's razor is appropriate WRT the PO: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

The only thing you're overthinking here is that someone mediablasted the stockers before repainting them. :v: If someone screwed up the tank, they probably just bondo'd it and went to town with a fresh color. You could check by tapping the tank with a magnet on the wings.

Without better pictures it's hard to tell if hte lines on the tank are altered from a crappy bondo job. Paint runs are another sure fire indicator, especially around the edges, as is the bump where the logos were if they didn't cut them off with a razor before painting. Those also aren't OEM bar ends, I don't think...

Bike probably went down ont he right side. Not that that's a big deal or anything, it's just highly likely, and something to be aware of as you take it apart.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Snowdens Secret posted:

When I laid my Z1000 down it rashed up the tank, the engine cover trim piece (yours is missing), windscreen, turn signals, the pipes on that side and the front fender and gave the handlebars a tweak. That was a pretty minor down. So that's all the parts on yours that have been replaced. It's not implausible that the front end got swapped because the stock parts got hosed.

Which isn't to say there's anything wrong with it as long as it rides true. The biggest issue you see with Zs of those years is hosed steering bearings or even cracks around the steering head from guys doing huge wheelies and setting it down hard on the front, over and over and over again. Your wheels should also be red with polished rims and while obv the red didn't go with the green, the polished part looks really good and it's a shame that got covered up.

It's not implausible that the bike was crashed, but I still don't find it likely. In my mind the PO had an 'image' in mind and worked really hard to make it happen. Keep in mind that I replaced the windscreen and signals myself (as well as a lot of the other aftermarket parts). No steering problems or front end play to indicate worn bearings or races, and I certainly checked the head for cracks. I am well aware that this thing can be abused as a wheelie machine. :D

The wheels are indeed red (orange?) with polished rims. The jackass PO removed the wheels and spray painted them. The front wheel held up fine, but the rear looked terrible. The spokes and hub were alright, but the rims were thrashed. I spent a good amount of time stripping the paint and repolishing the rim. Still need to find some sort of clear coat.

dictionar.com posted:

Out of curiosity, if that z1k is just a holdover, what would you buy to replace it? They seem like pretty potent machines to begin with.

I owned this:

The best way I can verbalize it: the Monster 796 was Scarlett Johannson and the z1k is a hooker with big tits and wavy blonde hair.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 29, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mguirk the jerk posted:

It's not implausible that the bike was crashed, but I still don't find it likely. In my mind the PO had an 'image' in mind and worked really hard to make it happen. Keep in mind that I replaced the windscreen and signals myself (as well as a lot of the other aftermarket parts). No steering problems or front end play to indicate worn bearings or races, and I certainly checked the head for cracks. I am well aware that this thing can be abused as a wheelie machine. :D

The wheels are indeed red (orange?) with polished rims. The jackass PO removed the wheels and spray painted them. The front wheel held up fine, but the rear looked terrible. The spokes and hub were alright, but the rims were thrashed. I spent a good amount of time stripping the paint and repolishing the rim. Still need to find some sort of clear coat.

I owned this:

Not looking for more power. The Ducati rode with more finesse and was overall a better-engineered machine, in my eyes. The z1k is fine, but it will never have the same sex appeal (or cornering ability, really).

After the Z1000 gets boring, you should buy a Ducati Streetfighter. Then a Tuono V4. Then a Turbo ZRX. Then a Twincharged Hayabusa.

Also - I'd expect all the bearings got done with the other front end swap, so even if it thrashed the front end in a crash, you wouldn't see any of that. My assumption is always "if I don't see the stock parts, it was crashed there". I'm very rarely wrong, sadly.

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

The only thing you're overthinking here is that someone mediablasted the stockers before repainting them. :v: If someone screwed up the tank, they probably just bondo'd it and went to town with a fresh color. You could check by tapping the tank with a magnet on the wings.

Without better pictures it's hard to tell if hte lines on the tank are altered from a crappy bondo job. Paint runs are another sure fire indicator, especially around the edges, as is the bump where the logos were if they didn't cut them off with a razor before painting. Those also aren't OEM bar ends, I don't think...

Bike probably went down ont he right side. Not that that's a big deal or anything, it's just highly likely, and something to be aware of as you take it apart.

Good point. I'll try the magnet trick at some point.

There are no signs of prior decals or paint marks. I also installed a different gas cap, and the paint run-off was green, not orange, if that leads your mind anywhere.

You're right, the bar ends aren't stock. The PO installed a 636 brake perch, and I installed the matching clutch perch, so I had to relocate the mirrors outward. The CRG internal bar end adapters wouldn't work and kind of suck anyway, so I found these adapters from Rhinomoto. Like I said, a lot of the mods are my own doing.

Z3n posted:

After the Z1000 gets boring, you should buy a Ducati Streetfighter. Then a Tuono V4. Then a Turbo ZRX. Then a Twincharged Hayabusa.

Also - I'd expect all the bearings got done with the other front end swap, so even if it thrashed the front end in a crash, you wouldn't see any of that. My assumption is always "if I don't see the stock parts, it was crashed there". I'm very rarely wrong, sadly.

I've been away from this board for too long -- dunno if the Hayabusa thing was serious or not. I don't really have a craving for more displacement.

So let's say the bike was crashed; so what? It rides nicely, I got a good deal, and it will certainly last until next season, when I'll be in a better financial position.

mguirk the jerk fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 29, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

mguirk the jerk posted:

I've been away from this board for too long -- dunno if the Hayabusa thing was serious or not. I don't really have a craving for more displacement.

Honestly, from what I've heard, if I could somehow make a Hayabusa not look like a turd, I might want to buy one and set it up as a sport tourer.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Safety Dance posted:

Honestly, from what I've heard, if I could somehow make a Hayabusa not look like a turd, I might want to buy one and set it up as a sport tourer.

This. Also I would then be able to break into the Hayabusa song whenever someone asks what kind of bike I've got.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

mguirk the jerk posted:

The best way I can verbalize it: the Monster 796 was Scarlett Johannson and the z1k is a hooker with big tits and wavy blonde hair.

I want scarlet in all her forms.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

That's called a ZX14 AFAIK.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mguirk the jerk posted:

Good point. I'll try the magnet trick at some point.

There are no signs of prior decals or paint marks. I also installed a different gas cap, and the paint run-off was green, not orange, if that leads your mind anywhere.

You're right, the bar ends aren't stock. The PO installed a 636 brake perch, and I installed the matching clutch perch, so I had to relocate the mirrors outward. The CRG internal bar end adapters wouldn't work and kind of suck anyway, so I found these adapters from Rhinomoto. Like I said, a lot of the mods are my own doing.

So let's say the bike was crashed; so what? It rides nicely, I got a good deal, and it will certainly last until next season, when I'll be in a better financial position.

Oh, it's not a bad thing - nearly every bike I've owned has probably been crashed at some point or another. It's just important at that point to be extra observant of everything that you add or remove, especially on the downed side. Things like frayed wiring harness bits, odd/damaged connectors, etc. Keeping an eye on those things can help you not get stranded.

Not serious at all - enjoy the bike, I liked the Z1000 but found the bottom end was a little lacking. You'll see in a ~6 months :v:

mguirk the jerk
Apr 26, 2014

Z3n posted:

Oh, it's not a bad thing - nearly every bike I've owned has probably been crashed at some point or another. It's just important at that point to be extra observant of everything that you add or remove, especially on the downed side. Things like frayed wiring harness bits, odd/damaged connectors, etc. Keeping an eye on those things can help you not get stranded.

Not serious at all - enjoy the bike, I liked the Z1000 but found the bottom end was a little lacking. You'll see in a ~6 months :v:

Ah absolutely. I'm actually done with modifications. It doesn't make much sense to throw a heap of money into a 11-year old bike. I just wanted to fix up the PO's mistakes. But a big +1 on not being stranded.

At this point I'm happy to be on a bike! Still loved my Duc, but I've got other priorities before I can take on another Italian Stallion.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Oh god what have I done this is all Z3n's fault. My wallet is significantly lighter since I bought it new and paid it fully in cash.

On the other hand holy gently caress so fun.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

God drat that looks good.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

apseudonym posted:

Oh god what have I done this is all Z3n's fault. My wallet is significantly lighter since I bought it new and paid it fully in cash.

Well, if that's my fault I guess I'm doing good in this crazy world :unsmith:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

apseudonym posted:

High five, paid cash for a brand new Street Triple R brother!

I think you're already figuring this out, but you won't regret it, and it's nice not to have any debt hanging over your head for a toy. Almost 6 months in, I still can't help but admire it as I walk toward or away from it.

Too bad Winter is coming. :(

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Here4DaGangBang posted:

High five, paid cash for a brand new Street Triple R brother!

I think you're already figuring this out, but you won't regret it, and it's nice not to have any debt hanging over your head for a toy. Almost 6 months in, I still can't help but admire it as I walk toward or away from it.

I have a deep set hatred of debt, as I result I'm completely debt free.

quote:

Too bad Winter is coming. :(

Have you tried moving to CA? :getin:

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

apseudonym posted:

I have a deep set hatred of debt, as I result I'm completely debt free.

Have you tried moving to CA? :getin:

I hear ya. I don't have a credit card or anything.

Haha, not even CA's year-round riding awesomeness would be enough to get me to embrace the insanity that is the USA, sorry. :P

chia
Dec 23, 2005

apseudonym posted:

Welcome to the club! Bought mine (also black) last June and still love it.

apseudonym posted:

:getin:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

What are the odds of apseudonym getting your old bike mguirk? (Something that could have been said by my grandma, I mean they're both red and black, it has to be the same bike!) :v:

Here4DaGangBang posted:

I hear ya. I don't have a credit card or anything.

There are actually a non-insignificant number of stores where I live (Sweden) that don't even accept cash anymore, so it's very inconvenient to do without one here. It should be noted though that credit cards are very, very rare here, it's all debit cards.

Nidhg00670000 fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 5, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oops -- I meant to post this in here yesterday. I was thinking as I posted it in the other thread "wasn't there a thread just for showing off your new bike?" but I couldn't find it. Here we go.

It's so blappy :3:

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Oops -- I meant to post this in here yesterday. I was thinking as I posted it in the other thread "wasn't there a thread just for showing off your new bike?" but I couldn't find it. Here we go.

Sweet bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Man I love the old Hawk GT/Bros. Really wish they were a bit more common in the states.